Customize

Youtube Problem, /r/ help

Discussion in 'Youtube and Vimeo Problems' started by theLastAnon, Nov 8, 2010.

1. theLastAnon Member

Youtube Problem, /r/ help

Recently I'm experiencing a new problem with YouTube that is preventing me from doing several things (no drop down menus, no loading of images, can't access inbox, can't upload video). The error message received when going to my homepage (in the space where your video would be playing) is:

And the homepage video does not load. JavaScript is not turned off and I have the latest flash player installed.

So, before turning to the technical wizards on this board for help, I tried all of the suggested options found here:
    YouTube problem: Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe’s Flash Player | Computer Tips And Tricks, Gadgets, How-To, Life - 2.0 Style

And on the YT Help Forum here:
    Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player. - YouTube Help

Can anyone suggest something else that could address the problem?

The inability to upload a new video is currently an issue of particular concern.

Edit: Forgot to add, I'm running Firefox. But, it also does not work for me in IE.
  2. Re: Youtube Problem, /r/ help

I had a problem similar to that a while back clearing out my browser's cache, and the Java cache solved it for me.
  3. TheDerpster Member

Re: Youtube Problem, /r/ help

4. theLastAnon Member

Thanks guys, but if you'll note my OP, I've done these things.

EDIT: There are several threads on the YT Help Forum about this issue; some have found success with one of the possible solutions mentioned in the OP links. Others have not. I'm in the "not" category.

Would like to share a new vid with folks...
  5. TheDerpster Member

You can paste links for YT videos here, I'm from YT too. user: TheDerpster
    Send invite and I'll happily accept (=
  6. theLastAnon Member

I can't upload due to the script error....
  7. Anonymous Member

ITT: people trying to give tech help that can't distinguish between built-in Javascript and the Java plugin.
  8. JohnnyRUClear Member

Have you tried rubbing alcohol?
  9. theLastAnon Member

Bump for 2nd attempt at getting some help.

I'm going back through all the steps suggested in the OP links, but if anyone has any other suggestions, let me know.

Thank you.

I have a video that's within a day or two of being ready to upload...
  10. Anonymous Member

are you using an ad blocker or some sort of peer blocking software?
  11. Anonymous Member

are you sure you're using the newest version of flash?
  12. theLastAnon Member

1. Ad blocker is turned off.

2. Flash has been uninstalled manually and using the uninstall.exe from Adobe. New version has been installed. This has been done 3 times.

3. Security settings for IE and Firefox are set appropriately (permit ActiveX, Javascript allowed, respectively). I use Firefox normally but am experiencing the same problem in IE.

Question: In Firefox, when you clear recent history (I check everything), does that include the java cache? I assumed so but maybe that's my problem.

Thank you all.
  13. Anonymous Member

Have you checked your network settings in Firefox?
  14. another123 Member

One other pain-in-the-ass tracker they've developed is a super cookie for flash (it never goes away). But for FireFox, there's a cleaner for it. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6623/ might be worth a shot.
    But since you say both IE & FireFox are affected, it may be an OS problem rather than the browser. You could also try looking for a FireFox 'testdrive' download (one you burn to a CD) and run it virtually. (haven't seen one of those in a while).
    Also, disclaimer: I use virtual linux, so take my Win advise with a grain of salt.
    Addition: Was just thinking moar about it, and sounds like the same problem you'd have if you were using a proxy without the proper settings ticked off. For shits&giggles try checking what your IP# is, to see if it's correct and not being hijacked.
  15. theLastAnon Member

Thanks. I'm already running that "better privacy" add-on and it's still not working. IP is not hijacked.

I've also discovered just now that my gmail account is jacked up. Cannot "compose" a new email.

There are a few people from here who have sent me an email recently (last 2 weeks or so). I rarely check gmail....I apologize for not responding to you and will do so via PM here in a few minutes.

This has made me into a quivering moron (at least that's how it feels). I'm no rocket scientist....but have generally been able to handle such simple things as installing the correct version of flash and clicking check boxes to enable javascript.

I may just "delete system 32" and see if that works.

Grrrrrr.
  16. Anonymous Member

Try using a portable version of Firefox, Safarii or Chrome. If that fails you might need to get JRE.
  17. Re: Youtube Problem, /r/ help

i have the exact same problem. my IE wont let me into hotmail or reply & on youtube when i search it shows maybe the top half of screen videos, the rest are blank. i am following how you fix it closely
  18. Anonymous Member

Well, there's your problem.
  19. theLastAnon Member

A solution was found! The problem was not with javascript or flash specifically, but in Firefox.

If you are running Firefox:

1. put this in your browser and hit enter: about:config
    2. in the search box that appears at the top of the page type in this: dom.storage.enabled
    3. If the value is set to "false" then right click and click "toggle" and change it to "true"

Everything works again. Obviously, this is not a solution for I.E., sorry.