Customize

Youtube 2009. A new angle on stopping DMCA claims?

Discussion in 'Youtube and Vimeo Problems' started by exOT8Michael, Jan 14, 2009.

1. exOT8Michael Member

Youtube 2009. A new angle on stopping DMCA claims?

Hi guys. I think this might be worth its own thread in this sub forum. if not, fine.

I thought of another possible angle on the restoring of the Youtube videos. The videos taken down all had numerous comments, many by americans who were using the internet to claim their right to freedom of speech. By taking down the videos Youtube is violating the First Amendment for all those citizens who posted comments.

This could bring a whole new power of persuasion just by driving this point home to Youtube, and if a Class action lawsuit were brought on behalf of those unconstitutionally victimized commenters it could change the face of free speech linked to videos on the internet.
  2. Skeptic1337 Member

Re: Youtube 2009. A new angle on stopping DMCA claims?

The only way you could pull something like that off would be to have youtube declared as a utility (like a power company / telco).

But no first amendment rights do not extend to private networks and they have a ToS.

Now if they break their ToS you could sue them for that but since the contract is at will (meaning they can sever it for any reason as can you) it has no recourse so you could never take it to court. Your redress is to stop using their service and use another.

We can hope that google starts tanking and needs TARP monies (wont happen they are cash super rich) then you could make the argument that they are a public entity that needs to abide by US constitutional rules. Chances of that are nil.

But I like the concept. The true exercise of free speech in this case would be to go to your host file and 127.0.0.1 *.youtube.com.
  3. Vir Member

It is not a first amendment violation. It's YouTube's site, and they choose who can speak on it.

It's still a free speech issue, but not a constitutional one.

But yeah, it could be good to contact all the people who commented and tell them that the video is down.

Lawsuit? No, won't work.

Edit: Beaten.
  4. exOT8Michael Member

I can't help thinking that there is an angle here that is usable, as suddenly deleting the free internet expression of thousands of people, sometimes due to a frivolous DMCA complaint is just so wrong...quite apart from deleting the video without due process.
  5. Skeptic1337 Member

There might be but it probably involves bringing youtube to alter their process.

How do you get a multi billion dollar enterprise that is heavily reliant on ad revenues for it's income to come to the table?

I can only think of 2 ways. Hurt them for cash or buy a majority ownership stake in google and get elected to their board.

Option 1 seems more plausible unless Anonybank steps up.
  6. exOT8Michael Member

Get advertisers to boycott the censoring company? Public pressure to get this to happen?

Otherwise Vimeo or RuTube, I guess.
  7. Buttons Member

Very interesting---

Eagerly awaiting the comments from the hivemind.
  8. another123 Member

Vimeo very susceptible to take downs also.

Suggestion:
    Load teasers on YouTube & Vimeo with links to RuTube or a blog w/ Ru vid embedded* on it. Also, if the right blog used, will get picked up by google news.
    So much win, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting some.

* I've found RuTube streams better when embedded as opposed to going to RuTube.
  9. mrfyde Member

Your first point is interesting they are deleting the comments of users that had nothing to do with the video. For example if you put up a video that showed something I didn't like and I expressed that I disapproved of it, and the video later was removed you tube is censoring my opinion that might actually agree with their reason for removing it.

Where here for example a person can be B& but their message still stays.

Its weird but I think You Tube still has the right to do it.
  10. Mutante Member

This is definitely one way to go, anons have said so before and it's still a good idea.
  11. Re: Youtube 2009. A new angle on stopping DMCA claims?

I've been lurking in similar discussions ("Message... Down", for one) and I agree with this suggestion. I see that the only reason why "we" are holding on to YouTube is the exposure that videos get due to the site's popularity. Uploading a teaser there and linking to content hosted in another site, I believe, will be as effective in promoting videos while eliminating the trouble everybody is having with TOS violations.

Maybe some SEOfags can shed more light to this?
  12. Re: Youtube 2009. A new angle on stopping DMCA claims?

Free speech only applies in public. A website is technically private, you have to abide by the websites rules. In youtubes terms and conditions there is a probably a section that reads something like "we reserve the right to remove comments for any reason".
  13. Mutante Member

What we REALLY need is a hot looking (on camera) namefagged femanon. I'm just sayin', check out the viewing figures for Athenewins and Hotforwords.

THAT is the magic formula for mass audience.

Just a 3 minute Hollywood gossip summary every week, recycling Internet material from say GLOSSLIP, with a regular 30 second super dramatic ZOMG Scientology! section.

Hmmm.
  14. Re: Youtube 2009. A new angle on stopping DMCA claims?

GENIUS
  15. exOT8Michael Member

Yes, genius idea...
  16. Re: Youtube 2009. A new angle on stopping DMCA claims?

Also combine with: publicity, publicity, PUBLICITY...
  17. Puppet Member

i nominate Boxxy, the newly anointed queen of /b/
  18. Lorelei Member

Know your audience. The femAnon doesn't need to be pulcritudinous or known; a gal with nice bewbz in a mask would serve the purpose just as well.

/joking...or am I?
  19. LRonAnon Member

fix'd
  20. Zak McKracken Member

inb4 TORY TORY TORY
  21. Lorelei Member

LOL.

Well, I suppose my bewbz aren't so bad, but I'm at least 5-10 years older than what the target audience would want to see, I suspect.

Murphy the ferret is up for it, but has the attention span of an ADHD gnat, and no bewbz.