Customize

Yearly Update on New Village Leadership Academy

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by churchlady, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Anonymous Member

Why do you bother to come here?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Random guy Member

According to Olivier she was fired for being resistant to stydy tech, and was replaced by Foster, a woman we know is a scientologist (confirmed from multiple independent sources). These are the facts we have to go on. Your assertion that NVLA was less scientology-based after 2009 runs counter to logic.

Since you, an anonymous someone on the internet is the only one to claim this to be the case, we have no other choice but reject your assertion.

Why you keep harking on this is beyond me. The school failed badly, the Smoth's lost their investment and study-tech again again got it's reputation dragged through the mud. Why is this still so important to you?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 4
  3. DeathHamster Member

Might not be Scientology, could be Internet reputation management hired by the Smiths. (Most of them seem as competent at that as HBGary at security.)
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Random guy Member

That's possible. It seems to me he want to blame the schools study tech problems on Olivier.
  5. The Wrong Guy Member

Teaching the Next James Cameron

By Dana Goodyear, The New Yorker, May 25, 2015

“Hey, baby, come over here,” a tall, thin woman, dressed all in white, standing at the mouth of a shipping container, called out. “Come check this thing out. This is the Wunderkammer. This is our natural-history museum.” The woman was Suzy Amis Cameron, a former actress who is now an environmental activist married to the director James Cameron. He was “baby.” It was late afternoon, and they were visiting the campus of MUSE, a school in Malibu Canyon, California, that Amis Cameron founded with her sister, Rebecca, in 2006. That evening was the school fund-raiser.

A rusted-metal skeleton of a triceratops sat on the roof of the museum; out front was a submersible orange robot that appeared in Cameron’s “Titanic.” Inside the narrow space, Cameron inspected shelves full of artifacts the students had found and made: Día de los Muertos skulls, fossilized trilobites. Amis Cameron picked up a tiny mandible with forbidding teeth. “A sabre-tooth kitten?” her husband asked. “Me-ow.”

MUSE, which has a hundred and forty-six students from Pre-K to twelfth grade, is a radically sustainable school devoted to hands-on learning. The lower-school campus has organic garden beds and a large “maker’s space.” The middle and upper schools occupy a building whose previous tenant was a school started by the actor Will Smith. “They said it wasn’t a Scientology school, but we think it was,” Rebecca Amis said.

Jeff King, the head of the school and the husband of Rebecca Amis, says the goal is to nurture autonomous and innovative students. All students follow their “passions”: Grow eighty pounds of lettuce! Make a scale model of a tennis court! Build a pinball machine! “If I had a young Jim Cameron at our school, we would be keeping up with him,” King said.

Continued here:
    http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/06/01/d-i-y-school
    • Like Like x 5
  6. DeathHamster Member

I wonder what the tip-off was, all the pictures of Hubbard left on the walls?
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Random guy Member

It seems the message got through.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 3
  9. RightOn Member

wtf? really?
    wow! I guess the bromance between Will and Tom is over and has been for quite some time.
    Would love if Will spoke out about it. yeah right.....

No refund, so does the bromance continue? Probably not
    • Like Like x 1
  10. anon8109 Member

The school closed in 2013, but according to tax records obtained by Radar, the Smiths weren’t left hanging. NVLA’s 2013 tax return shows that the full $1,235,000 was refunded to the WJS trust.

This is hard to believe. The Scientology corporation never refunds anything unless the courts force them to or it's a PR disaster.

Perhaps the Smiths were threatening the company with bad PR if they didn't get their money back? Maybe they threatened to sue?

Whatever the case if the story is true then it's great news that the Smiths have seen the cult for what it is.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. RightOn Member

and hopefully just how wacky Cruise, Travolta and Krusty Alien and others are.
    I hope they come forward and sing like canaries. Not holding my breath.
    Edited: not going to happen. No refund took place.

I could NEVER stand Jada or either of their kids. Will is a little more bearable, but as he aged he got more and more pompous. And when he appeared on the Tavis Smiley show, he came off as darn right looney tunes.
    I will never support anything he does due to the fact that he opened a school with Study Tech and had the potential to change kids minds to mush. If he comes forward and spills the beans, then I may change my mind, but we all know there MUST have been a gag order attached to that refund. If not, then I doubt the COS would have gave them a dime.
    edited
  12. RightOn Member

So where is the poster ThatIsFunny?
    Now how could the COS possibly give the Smiths a refund if they weren't teaching study tech? Why would the cult have anything do to with the Smiths, if NVLA had nothing to do with study tech, never mind over a mil refund!
    Curious, isnt' it?

Guess the COS didn't refund after all.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. The Wrong Guy Member

Um, about that story claiming Will Smith got a ‘refund’ from his broke-ass shuttered school

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker

You may have run across a very confusing story about Scientology, Will and Jada Smith, and a “refund” that spun out across tabloid news websites yesterday.

Like lemmings, many sites simply repeated what started with a RadarOnline story claiming that tax records showed Will and Jada had received a $1.2 million refund from a “church-affiliated” school which shut down in 2013.

Well, we’re pretty sure that Radar’s story is just flat-out wrong, even though it was copied like gospel by dozens of other sites.

“Radar is so massively incorrect,” Jeffrey Augustine told us after we consulted with a reputable certified public accountant who examined the tax records for us. Like us, Augustine has a fascination with financial paperwork, especially when it involves Scientology, and he helped us dive into the records of the New Village Leadership Academy.

We know what you might be thinking. After the tabloid media has already gone off the deep end, isn’t trying to set the record straight pointless?

Well, we’re going to do it anyway because we’re masochists like that.

It was the Underground Bunker that actually broke the news, in 2013, that the New Village Leadership Academy was shutting down. We then published the only interview with the school’s first principal, Jacqueline Olivier, who told us she was working on a book about her experiences.

Between what Olivier told us, as well as one of the school’s directors, and through tax records, we pieced together what had happened. In 2007, the Smiths hired Olivier to help them turn what was a homeschooling operation into an actual bricks-and-mortar private school. For a year, Olivier helped the Smiths plan their operation, which opened in the fall of 2008. To get the school going and pay the first three years’ rent on a previously closed high school campus in Calabasas, the Smiths, through their “WJS Trust,” loaned the project $1.235 million.

That seed money would be combined with what the school could bring in through tuition and fundraising to, the Smiths hoped, make it self-sufficient after those initial three years. In the meantime, as Olivier explained, Will and Jada were adamant that L. Ron Hubbard’s “Study Technology” be used as the guiding principle at the school. When that resulted in protests when the school opened that fall, Olivier assured the public that NVLA was non-denominational and not a “Scientology school.”

But in our interview, she admitted she was playing down for reporters how much the Smiths wanted Hubbard’s ideas to be used in the school. And when Olivier chafed against that strict protocol, the Smiths fired her only a year after the school opened.

Olivier told us that the Scientology influence in the school was heavy: Teachers and parents were encouraged by the Smiths to take courses at a nearby Scientology org, and their children, Jaden and Willow, were doing actual Scientology courses on campus with special Scientology teachers. Olivier herself had to take courses at Scientology’s Hollywood Celebrity Centre. After she complained and was fired, a woman by the name of Piano Foster took over as principal, and remained its principal until the school closed on June 28, 2013.

By then, the Smiths had little involvement with the school, and their children were no longer attending classes there. After the initial three years that they had financed, the Smiths distanced themselves from the project, and the school struggled to raise enough money to keep going.

The school’s 2012 tax return showed that it was operating in the red, with expenses outpacing revenues by more than $20,000. By June 2013, it was clear the school couldn’t go on. The tax return for that year, 2013, describes how the school was shutting down and doing its best to leave no debts. It claimed credit, for example, for leaving the owner of the Calabasas school facility, the Las Virgenes Unified School District, with improvements at the campus and a new security system worth more than $700,000.

Since the school was opened in 2008, its tax records had carried the initial $1,235,000 loan from the Smiths’ WJS Trust as a liability, a “payable to current and former officers.” But Olivier tells us that it was clear, when she was getting the school going in 2008, that the Smiths never expected to see a dime of that money back.

“There’s no way,” she told us by telephone yesterday. “There was no expectation that the school would pay that back.”

And while the $1,235,000 liability is zeroed out in the 2013 tax return, there’s a nearly indecipherable note that goes with it: “The total of contribution was included $1,169,628 as forgiveness loan from The WJS Trust.”

RadarOnline interpreted that note to mean that New Village Leadership Academy, despite being broke and closing down, somehow came up with $1.2 million to pay the Smiths for the seed money that had gotten the school going some five years earlier.

We read it to mean the opposite — that the Smiths walked away with almost nothing from that contribution, which they now considered to be a “forgiveness loan.”

We called and emailed Jeff Gillman, the preparer of the tax document with Gelfand Rennert & Feldman, to ask him if he could clear up that confusing line from the form. His assistant confirmed that he’d read our email, but he didn’t get back to us.

With the help of Jeffrey Augustine, we asked a CPA to look over the documents with us. Jeff said the CPA spotted the problem with Radar’s analysis in about five minutes.

“The loan was not ‘refunded’,” the CPA told us. “$1,196,628 was forgiven as a contribution to the school so the school’s tax-exempt organization books could be zeroed-out and closed.”

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2015/08/06/um...a-refund-from-his-broke-ass-shuttered-school/
    • Like Like x 3
  14. DeathHamster Member

Yeah, the "refund" was a flag that Radar's story was going to need double-checking by going over the Form 990 carefully to see what was really going on.
  15. RightOn Member

ahhh well that makes more sense
    Still lulzy that the story came out to remind everyone of the Smith's involvement with the COS
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Random guy Member

Quite.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. The Wrong Guy Member

Will Smith Gets Flak for Reported $150,000 Donation to Nation of Islam | Philadelphia Magazine

Somehow, I missed my invitation to hear Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan speak last week at Tindley Temple United Methodist Church, which I guess doesn’t have enough of a problem with Farrakhan’s anti-semitic, anti-white and anti-LGBT stances to prevent him from mounting the pulpit. At the event, Farrakhan announced that Philadelphia hero Will Smith had donated $150,000 to an upcoming Nation of Islam event.

The same announcement was made on Farrakhan’s official Facebook page. “Last night in Philadelphia, The Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan announced that he called upon Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith to support 10-10-15,” reads the post. “And he said the couple happily donated $150,000 to offset the cost of hosting the upcoming historic gathering!”

Continued here:
    http://www.phillymag.com/news/2015/09/16/will-smith-nation-of-islam-louis-farrakhan/
    • Like Like x 2
  18. DeathHamster Member

Okay, maybe he really isn't a Scientologist...
    • Like Like x 1
  19. RightOn Member

stupid stupid stupid
    Dim witted, money wasting delusional, pompous fools.
    Just when I thought I couldn't possibly stand them any more than I do.
    I stand corrected!
  20. R3AD¥ Member

This scientology is bull. (-_-)
  21. One thing we have learned over the last several years is that membership in, or a contribution to, the Nation of Islam is not inconsistent with membership, or at least participation in, the Church of Scientology.

The interesting thing is that a monetary contribution to the NOI may be more publicly acceptable than a monetary contribution to the COS.
    • Like Like x 2