Customize

WWP resource redirect service (more important than you think)

Discussion in 'Think Tank' started by blah, Dec 13, 2008.

1. blah Member

WWP resource redirect service (more important than you think)

Idea: WWP should have a tinyurl like redirect service so we can easily link directly to legal documents, videos and other online resources that would otherwise have a URL that was too unfeasibly complex to include on a flier.

consider the two following flier segments

"if you want to learn more about the Church of Scientology's illegal tax deal go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLBgvuBkXaQ"

vs

"if you want to learn more about the Church of Scientology's illegal tax deal go to sources.WhyWeProtest.net/IllegalTaxDeal"

which would be more likely to actually be visited.

optional: all resources should be search able via tags to help in researching, there should be user rating of the importance of some documents, and statistics on how much resources are accessed. ect...
  2. Re: WWP resource redirect service (more important than you think)

Although I like nice URL's (http://youtube.com/AboutScientology), redirect-services should be used with care.

If, I hope not, this website suddenly disappears, this will render all redirect-urls useless. Whereas links directly to websites will continue to work after WWP fails (also they will improve Google ranking of target (not on flyers though)).

Decentralization is good!

In my opinion TinyUrl has the same problem. If they ever get aids <dramatisation>half the web will break</dramatisation>. I just use it for IRC.
  3. reznik Member

Re: WWP resource redirect service (more important than you think)

nice idea though. kind of a lot of work for the admins.
    although i did think info pack pdf's would be cool to make . use and this could maybe work.
    disclaimer: if you hate pdf's ur using the wrong readers.
    adobe is awesome (the reader is a bit/very crappy).
  4. blah Member

the issue with the potential for WWP going down is not that big of an issue, the links would mostly serve only for print purposes, as long as WWP stays up for a week after a raid useing the links then there will be no loss. this is for civilians who don't want to be bothered typing a tl;dr URL, it is only to facilitate easy print -> internet communication, once they have looked the source up the redirect url has served it's purpose and could be destroyed with minimal impact.
  5. Anonymous Member

Too many eggs in one basket. For short-term links use tinyurl or one of its competitors. For longer term, it might be better to give a full citation with the url, title, author and publisher. Most people who have the internet know how to search on it.
  6. Anonymous Member

"if you want to learn more about the Church of Scientology's illegal tax deal go to
    shorturl.to/IllegalTaxDeal
    or YouTube - Anonymous Message to American Taxpayers: Scientology - IRS "

?