Customize

WWP: Here to stay (with your help)

Discussion in 'Site News and Announcements' started by Anon752, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Anon752 Member

WWP: Here to stay (with your help)

Since its inception, WWP's forums have striven to become a permanent fixture within Chanology. Our staff works very diligently on a daily basis to ensure that you, the community members, will enjoy as pleasant an experience as possible. This includes everything from maintaining the physical hardware that this website resides on, moderation, design, programming to announcements like these. Our dedicated members are experts in their fields and will continue to listen to your suggestions and requests to ensure that that WWP continues to provide the stability that Chanology needs.

Plenty of hard work goes on behind the scenes to provide these things, much of which goes unnoticed if we do our jobs right. We serve information about our collective fight against Scientology to thousands upon thousands of unique visitors a day, and we typically have several hundred users on the forums at any given time. This is the kind of traffic that many businesses and communities would kill for. It takes a lot to keep things running smoothly and the greatest of these problems is the hosting cost.

When you run a website of this capacity, you cannot expect to host it as cheaply as you'd be able to for a website of just you and your friends. We require strong, dedicated hardware and terabytes of bandwidth transfer to keep things going smoothly, as well as several engineers that work to optimize the webserver and properly utilize our resources. The staff provides their collected dedication, time, and energy towards this at no expense to the community because we are all in this together. We share a common goal, and this is simply another step towards achieving that goal. Unfortunately, however, we cannot provide the hosting and hardware for free, and this is where you come in.

In a continued effort to ensure absolute transparency on WWP, we have created a new donations page found at http://www.whyweprotest.net/en/donations/ . You will currently see a brief list of expenses, however over the next few days expect to see some new information. Our programmers are working on an extension of the page that will show a line item ledger of what expenses we incur, and which of those have been paid. This will not be a situation where you are left to wonder where your donation money went to.

Following is a brief rundown of the categories you currently see and what they are used for:

General Expense
    This is the basic costs to maintain hosting/hardware for this website, and is currently our most expensive item. As of this time we pay $870/mo for hosting and bandwidth. I know that many of you are thinking that this is an outlandish amount of money to pay for hosting, but allow us to take a moment to explain what is involved in that price. Again, running this website is more akin to a medium-level business site, and not what you might be thinking.

Server: Dell PowerEdge 1950
    Power: Remote Power Management
    Hardware RAID: RAID 1+0 (Stripe + Mirror)
    Operating System : Debian
    Uplink: 1 x 100Mbps Full-Duplex
    RAM: 16GB DDR2
    IP's: 2
    Hard Drives: 4 x 300GB SAS
    CPU: Intel 2x Quad Core Xeon L5320
    Volume: 10 Mbps (95%) bandwidth
    Service Level Agreements: Best Effort
    KVM over IP: KVM over IP - Remote Management Card

Legal Defense Fund
    Several Anons are currently facing legal troubles from participating lawfully in Chanology protests. There are also several lawyers that are working with us pro-bono to keep everyone else from the same fate, and to help those already in trouble. While they are not charging us for their time, we would like to be able to reimburse them for the supplies and expenses used up while helping Anons.

Poppins Coffee Fund
    Poppins handles a good amount of the administrative tasks around here, on top of other "real" work. This means lots of late nights. If you so choose, you may throw a little money into the jar to keep up the caffeine supply and help make sure someone is watching the servers when we should be sleeping.
  2. Chowder Member

Re: WWP: Here to stay (with your help)

hmmm...idk if u want my money
    the day i donated to enturb, they shut down.
    ITS CURSED I SAY!
  3. Kilia Member

Will do my best to contribute when I get my yearly working paycheck next month.
    Apart from that, I'm on old-age Social Security.

Love you all and thanks for being here. It's a pleasure.
    <3
  4. PresidentShaw Member

I will take time to see how this is implemented before making any donation, I am still a little bit warry from what happened with enturbulation.org....

However, I know you guys work hard behind the scene, and THAT is very much appreciated, give me some time, good clean transparency and I just might donate too :p
  5. iaxiloll Member

^^^^^^^^ This
  6. Kilia Member

Forgot to ask:
    Is the $870/mo you're paying now include protection from DDOS'ing?
  7. Anon752 Member

Yes. It also provides the KVM over IP on a different vlan so it isnt affected by the ddos and we can still get into the box to fix things while one might be happening.
  8. Kilia Member

YES!!!!!!!!!!
    *smile*
  9. FYIANON Member

How much are you charging for ads? I might have something to advertise.
  10. Anon752 Member

Thats all poppins. But the link to the page to advertise is right under the banner ads: Project Wonderful - advertise on Why We Protest!
  11. Fear Not Member

This is better than buying a disappearing server!

And Poppins, have you ever tried Dunkin Donuts coffee grounds?
    Its good.
    <3
  12. snowwhite165 Member

it is wise to help.. count me in..and I will contact a few other x scn to help also..
  13. lucifuge Member

We are attempting to make the donations portion of our site as transparent as possible without giving the login information itself out.
  14. IamAnonTruro Member

1 word.. Daopay.. If you could get a DAOPAY account with set donation amounts i would happily donate at least $20 per month via text for the furtherment of our cause and the downfall of the Scilon religion!!!!!!!!!!!
  15. mrfyde Member

First let me say THANKS to all the people who dont get thanked and to the ones who do (even if it isn't as often as they should)

Second- I will see what I can do about a donation.
  16. xenudu Member

So what happens if/when Enturbz is put back up, since this was originally implied to be a placeholder forum?
  17. poppins Member

This isn't a placeholder forum.
  18. anonymized Member

Here's some caffeine to keep you going, then...
  19. themadhair Member

Just to clue you in - enturb was closed without notice and without explanation. Not sure how you got the notion that this was a 'placeholder' site.
  20. poppins Member

<3
  21. xenudu Member

No shit! Really?

"Implied". I never said it was a placeholder. lrn2read.
  22. themadhair Member

Still not sure how you got the notion that this was a 'placeholder' site. Or how it was implied. Or who implied that. Or if you even know what the word 'implied' means.
  23. xenudu Member

Okay!
  24. anonymous1312 Member

I'll put what I can towards the cause at the beginning of next month, won't be very much but hopefully the £ - $ exchange rate will help too.
  25. Anon752 Member

What they said. This is not a placeholder and was never intended as one. This is permanent. This was a lot of work. And some of us wont return to enturb after what happened. You might also notice that enturbs pagerank on google is at 0 now. The links to enturb from google are almost all gone as well. So who knows what happens. But I for one am staying here. I know a few of the other mods/admins arent going to be using enturb again. I am not saying dont do it. Make your own choices. But some of us wont return after the latest round of drama (and of course the complete lack of communication.)
  26. anon38372 Member

27. anonymized Member

Are you being charged a coffee fund fee to register with the forums? Or are you free to hand over a few coffee beans if you happen to feel so inclined?
  28. poppins Member

No, registration is free. There is no forced donations of any kind; you're free to donate or not donate.
  29. A.Non Hubbard Member

LE doesn't deserve anything after the shit he pulled on us.

And I'm someone who didn't care what he did with donations. He could have blown it all on a gold plated dildo for all I care.

I think drama surrounding Chanology is stupid. If I see useless fighting I usually keep quiet and refuse to take sides because this is not an egofag venture and I do not support egofagging and will not contribute to it. However, shutting down the site without notice, fleeing, and leaving a huge hole in his wake was completely irresponsible and shows him to me to be a complete non-entity.

Poppins, keep up the good work with WWP. At least you fucking talk to us.
  30. Anon752 Member

Just remember there is a team behind WWP. And said team is dedicated to actually keeping the site alive and handling donations in the most transparent way we can.
  31. formerlyIN Member

I thank you all for the hard work that goes into this site. I'm definately not in a position at this point to help financially, but I expact that to change in the next few months and you will be right there on my list! This place and a few others have been a lifeline and help people more than you know.

Poppins...I hope the coffee fund keeps flowing, I understand being a coffee junkie myself :)
  32. IDK Member

moar coffee for poppins
  33. anonymized Member

Thank you... that was my piss-poor attempt at rhetorically answering anon38372's insinuations... :)
  34. xenudu Member

If enturb comes back I know I'm not intending on going back unless it's for pointing and laughing at lolarious drama.

I just wanted confirmation to make sure that THIS forum wasn't going to be downscaled or go away completely just because enturb came back, and I got that (however briefly) from poppins and now from you.

So thank you. That's all I wanted to know. (And I'm not being a facetious twat here either.)
  35. 1337anon Member

Does PayPal see whoever donates to WhyWeProtest, or connect it with a user-name? If so, I probably wouldn't donate unless I was namefagged already.
  36. misskittie Member

Happy to donate when I get paid in two weeks. Prizes and shiny stars to all those involved in getting this site off the ground!

Question (tell me to fuck off if it starts unnecessary drama, the guarenteed drama starting statement): Has anyone taken action, official or unofficial, against the fucker who ran off with the last lot of donation cash, servers, Ramen, whatever? Someone should if they have the dox....and I should lurk more if I have the wrong end of the stick!!
  37. Anon-007 Member

The whole 'LE' episode seems to have been conveniently forgotten about.
  38. Anon752 Member

Basic versions of the list pages are up. Everyone can see what happens here:

General Expense - Why We Protest
    Legal Defense Fund - Why We Protest
    Poppins Coffee Fund - Why We Protest

These let you see every incoming donation, and every time money is taken out and why.

Its just another step in building transparency into everything we can. I hope everyone likes it. They will be linked to from the main donations page, Donations - Why We Protest , later tonight.
  39. Re: WWP: Here to stay (with your help)

P.O. BOX TO SEND JEWGOLDS TO.
  40. ravenanon Member

I vote po box also