Customize

Writing celebrities - Brainstorming

Discussion in 'Think Tank' started by GuyFux, Apr 1, 2008.

1. GuyFux Member

Writing celebrities - Brainstorming

In order to consolidate some space on here, I figured that we should put all ideas about writing/inviting celebrities to protests in this thread, as well as brainstorm whether we should invite celebs or not.

In any event, two come to mind:

Jello Biafra from the Dead Kennedy's and the band Otep
  2. XenuLovesU Member

Re: Writing celebrities - Brainstorming

*chuckle*

Would be interesting to hear Jello do one of his spoken word performances w/Scientology as the topic.

Anonymous show at 924 Gilman, anyone? :-P
  3. GuyFux Member

According to the Alternative Tentacles website, the only way to contact him is by fax, mail, or phone, so this may be tricky.
  4. WCCube Member

The Dead Kennedies would be amazing, though sloppy punk wouldn't help the cause at all. :/
  5. GuyFux Member

True, true. But what about him and someone such as a Priest (like the one in the Washington DC raids(?)) ? That way, people would be like "WOW! 2 people from totally different worlds are behind this".
  6. Paresthesia Member

So the purpose of having a celebrity at a protest would be to draw media attention?

Here are some things to consider...

Celebrities' reputations are extremely important to them. Because the public is generally uninformed (your average Joe most likely has never heard of Operation Snow White), participating in an event against a "religion" could make people believe the said celebrity was a religious bigot or intolerant. This may be a risk they are not willing to take.

Celebrities have busy lives. Someone who's on tour or producing a film may not be willing to take time out of their schedules to participate in a protest.

I don't think the idea of celebrities supporting our cause is unlikely though. Anonymous is snowballing. Awareness is snowballing. Our numbers are increasing with every protest. Eventually our cause will be impossible to ignore and high profile people will begin to take the initiative out of their own interest and pay xenu.net a visit and maybe even come out to protest. I even saw a picture of Ron Paul at the Feb. 10 protest (though I'm not sure if it was real).

Have you considered that if celebrities did come to our protests, they'd rather keep their identities hidden?
  7. GuyFux Member

Great points. I didn't even consider the latter.
  8. Re: Writing celebrities - Brainstorming

I think the celebrities angle is very important. Just look at how much effort the scienos are putting into maintaining and expanding their celebrity collection.

The reason for this is that celebrities are an easy way for the scienos to win legitimacy in the eyes of those who do not understand how harmful $cn is. They would be very useful for us for the same reasons - with the added benefit that when people learn more of us, they find we are not spooky at all ;D

For celebrities almost every decision is dictated by PR. Thus the question is: which celebrities would find it beneficial to a) be related to a loose but widespread internet phenomenon such as Anonymous, an b) risk being targeted by scientology.

So, what would the "image" of these people be? I think the obvious candidates would be counterculture icons that represent the freedom of expression/anarchist/etc.. values.

In any way, I think it's going to be a while until we hit mainstream in terms of celebrities. Maybe we are better off focusing on more alternative ones at this point.

The main obstacle might be fair-gaming, specifically dead agenting. This could kill a low profile artist. Maybe to spin DA in such a way that it becomes free publicity for the artist? That is, to aggressively drive the point that the scienos will make things up just to tarnish the artist's reputation, and then when they actually do it, use it as evidence of the artist's legitimacy?
  9. moose Member

it would be against the idea of being Anonymous to get well known people involved.
    If they know your name, then you're out.

Besides, it's very 'American' to think of celebrities as being important. They would just use Anonymous to sell stuff, get media-attention, etc..
  10. Anonimosity Member

Then wouldn't everyday Americans listen to what celebs have to say? The Co$ does run out of the States you know...I'd say its our largest target audience.