Customize

Wikileaks need help! Mass-mirroring Wikileaks

Discussion in 'Wikileaks' started by Anonymous, Dec 4, 2010.

1. anonymous612 Member

Re: Wikileaks need help! Mass-mirroring Wikileaks

.at is Austria and .tw is Taiwan.
    </the moar you know>
  2. LocalSP Member

I have a question. If all these files get mirrored and then get released who is to say that they are the real files? It seems to me that all that would need to happen is a couple of files to come out that can be proved to be false making all the rest suspect.
  3. Consensus Member

Skepticism goes hand-in-hand with the rise of the internet. The internet inundates people with more information than they know what to do with. This only has value if one has well-refined bullshit detectors, enabling them to fully utilize that information.

... this is why religions are seriously on the brink. And that 'threat to religions' is one reason I fear the 'internet war' could go hot.

edit - it's a threat to organized religion/religious organizations; it's likely to significantly reduce the number of active believers and greatly increase secularization of governments around the world... but there's no reason to expect or fear any sort of genocidal backlash against people who hold religious beliefs. Obviously, I (and I imagine most atheists) would oppose any efforts to marginalize, injure or destroy religious populations.

In any case, chanology will go down in history as a precursor to the wikileaks revolution. And it's not coincidence that chanology targeted a (supposed) religious institution.
  4. timid sparrow Member

https://donations.datacell.com/
    the preferred account seems to be the iceland one.

Master card has now been cut off.
    MasterCard pulls plug on WikiLeaks payments | Privacy Inc. - CNET News

The states is now saying that any company helping wikileaks is terrorist, and this has now passed on to france as well, and that banks are not allowed to make payments to wikileaks

I'm thinking sending cheques or cash, possibly to his british solicitors?

the solicitor is at Welcome - FSI
    I emailed his solicitor earlier about something else
    mark.stephens@fsilaw.com

Perhaps we should contact the solicitor and ask what's the best way to make payment
    If you have cheques, send a check to his solicitor.

as a matter of fact
  5. LocalSP Member

That still doesn't answer my question though. If these mirrored files are compromised in any way, any subsequent files will be worthless because the trust will have been broken.
  6. timid sparrow Member

If you want to make sure you have the real file get it from pirate bay and then when the key comes use it.
  7. Pigeon Member

Well, what else can we do? It's a hypothetical situation. Perhaps it's a risk we have to take. I can't see a solution that doesn't involve stopping mirroring the files, and giving the US government an early Christmas.
  8. Anonymous Member

Since SETI@Home seems to have run out of data, maybe we could get a big team together to crack the encryption on the insurance file. (Has anyone tried 1-2-3-4-5?)

I just want any diplomatic traffic concerning Scientology, like where US diplomats were told to put pressure on friendly governments to treat the disgusting scam like a normal religion.
  9. Consensus Member

The optimist in my thinks we'll never get the key.

That file is not meant to be open. It contains shit that could potentially unravel world governments and the global economy. And - I imagine - the context are NOT redacted.

On the other hand, the leaks are coming slow and steady, after serious vetting and redaction with input from the new york times, the guardian, and so on. This allows for a peaceful transition.

Make no mistake, this is revolutionary. There is a transition going on. The powers that be can either get on board - or fight it, become tyrannical, and force serious unrest. The result of that could potentially threaten very important infrastructure and leave billions of people dead.

Governments may deceive themselves into thinking their choices are either 1) stop the leaks or 2) global unrest. Assange is shaping their choices to 1) learn to live with the leaks and aid in a peaceful transition, or 2) act tyrannical and have everything dump at once, underacted, creating the worst possible outcome.

Assange is, regardless, 100% confident that - in the long run - the world will be better off with these documents leaked than without. He's concerned about the short term. And the rich and powerful should be thinking about that transition too.

But governments are - at this moment - coming to terms with the fact that these leaks WILL happen. One way or the other. And the optimist in me thinks we'll never see the key for the insurance pack.
  10. Anonymous Member

11. anonymous612 Member

right, because I'm sure that wikileaks' priority right now is Scientology.
  12. Anonymous Member

The majority of people aren't as immersed in this kind as thing as us. They won't see this as the beginning of the end. IMHO this is the middle of the end anyway.

We need to raise awareness. This is easiest done by stunts. Let the media do our job for us. Let's make a splash.
  13. Anonymous Member

Assuming that the insurance file is the full underacted leak of years of diplomatic traffic that they were given, who cares what Wikileak's priorities are? Crack the encryption and do a text search of all the files for keywords like Scientology.
  14. Consensus Member

Stunts are a good start, but I think you're wrong. This is a revolution. Old-media is giving way to the internet. Governments that relied on controlling old-media are panicking, because they can't seem to control the internet. Governments and media - even the dinosaurs I'm railing against - serve an INCREDIBLY important job. They keep us safe. They maintain the illusion that we don't live in anarchy. They promote trust and commerce and peaceful interactions. They work to minimize scarcity, suffering, angst and pain. We are all better off for this.

And the internet has to take over those functions. Things are falling - and it's on US - geeks united - to catch it.

We have to demonstrate that we're capable of that. Making a splash and letting the media sort it out won't accomplish that.
  15. LocalSP Member

I do believe that, that will be a lot harder than you think.
  16. Consensus Member

17. Consensus Member

I could be wrong, but I think Assange developed the encryption for that file himself. From scratch. Encryption is way beyond my understanding, but I read some wikipage recently that said as much, and described it as a brand new and very secure form of encryption.
  18. Anonymous Member

It would be a long massive undertaking of a vast number of computers distributed across the Internet. (Advances in cryptoanalysis and Moore's law might eventually have something to say about that.)

My point is that the "thermonuclear device of the information age" (as Assange's lawyer put it) isn't completely under the control of governments or Julian Assange. With enough people, time, resources and will, that file can be opened.
  19. timid sparrow Member

My feeling is that right now in the states they have changed the law to make it so that if julian releases the code, he is toast.

I am hoping he will release it in the morning.

The file contains stuff about BP Guantanomo, and very very very intense information and leaks from a Major major bank

I think this is the thing that is freaking them out.

And the files will be unredacted, therefore, giving names

Please Julian, release the code in the morning!!! before it's too late
  20. Anonymous Member

Oh. God. No.

Save us from people who invent their own encryption without passing it through any kind of peer review, deconstruction or trial attack process. Perhaps he thinks he knows his stuff, but the mathematics involved are extremely arcane and the difference between an encryption that really works and one that looks like it works is vanishingly small.

Egofagging on grand scale if this is true, which I hope isn't.
  21. timid sparrow Member

I read somewhere that the encryption key was 256 digits (I don't understand this stuff)
  22. Anonymous Member

No, he won't release the code. And they won't want to make him release it. They want to keep it buried. That's why it's a leak. As in something they don't want us to find out about? Yes? Still following?

No, this isn't true. I doubt he developed it himself alone. He may have had a part but he isn't some super duper haxor. He was good, but he employs those who are far far better. There are dozens of people behind the scenes, making it all possible. It'll be one of them to developed it. It's above military grade stuff. I suspect it was Applebaum and his peers.
  23. WhiteNight Member

Sounds about right. It's a stupendously awesome encryption.
  24. Anonymous Member

25. WhiteNight Member

Checked it out. From what I heard it's more than that "limit", though this is pure speculation I suspect. Don't take my word on it.
  26. Anonymous Member

I see your point, but there is a huge difference this time. The vast majority of people, including most government agencies, know little about the cult or anonymous and could care less. They certainly don't see them as a major threat to U.S. security or international diplomacy. In the immortal words of Joe Biden," This is a big fucking deal." There are many powerful people and organizations who see this as a serious threat to national security, and not just to the U.S. When you have major world political figures calling for the death, or at least the life imprisonment, of Mr. Assange you are at an entirely different level of seriousness. Many people who have never thought about Scientology are very interested in this issue and have very strong feelings about it. Compared to this the cult is very small potatoes.
  27. Anonymous Member

You're exaggerating. The new incoming chairman of the US House Homeland Security Committee wants to list them as a terrorist organization. It hasn't happened and probably won't. Politicians are running their mouths like crazy and stirring up the support base. Hell, the first thing out of Sarah Palin was to blame President Obama because she's hoping to make him look bad enough to get herself more votes in 2012. Most of this shit is just talk. Very heated and over the top, but still just talk.
  28. Anonymous Member

29. anonymous612 Member

30. Anonymous Member

It has been a while since Wikileaks tweeter/torrent (currently v201012061721) file have been updated. These were updated regularly before.
  31. Consensus Member

Oh fuck yes.

Dudes, this is the most important battle we've ever faced - and we have sufficient reason to think it's winable.
  32. Scythe Member

i like this
  33. Sponge Member

Depending which way an investigation leads, the UK has a law which means you're toast if you don't release the encryption key. It's called the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (RIPA) part III sec.49
    Simplified: Encryption law could mean jail time | IT PRO
    You need to have a pretty good argument that you forgot the key or were never in possession of it otherwise you face a 2-5 year prison sentence.
    If served with a "section 49" notice then you can't tell anyone but your lawyer.
  34. Anonymous Member

It has occurred to me the leaks fall under suspicion. There was this thread I saw and the OP had a picture in their post and said he needed help figuring out what the picture was he got from a friend. Dozens of people were looking at the pictures for hours on end trying to decipher the filename and people were using photoshop to enhance the picture. The guy finally got an email three days later saying that is was a closeup photo of someones butt hole. All I am saying is that the govt could be trolling people into thinking the database is real and is stirring up the international pot. Obama is in on the fun and like to watch republican ventilate and make up stuff about the administration. "It seems quite likely that Lamo was working for the Pentagon all along."
    Why did the US diplomatic agent seem like all the sudden that they needed to tell their firends about the cables when they already knew about the leaks. Most of it was gossip that has been reported before, some of the reports are stories from 2002 Washington Times article that suddenly have bubbled up again about a pentagon official spreading rumors on intelligence failures in Afghanistan.
    - Herro
  35. LocalSP Member

Just a reminder:

I wonder how that's working out for them.
  36. Anonymous Member

Open letter: To Julia Gillard, re Julian Assange - Unleashed (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

He can't be left alone, it's unfair that everything is on him. We all need to do our part.
  37. grebe Member

There are two ways to bury the truth:
    1. by keeping facts secret
    2. by leaking false info that contradicts the facts

How will Wikileaks guard against false leaks?

It's too simplistic to say, just leak everything and let the public decide. Real people need to weigh the risks v benefits of publishing government secrets and must be ready to shoulder responsibility for the outcome, even if these people remain somewhat shielded by the Wikileaks organization.

Ideally Wikileaks should be controlled by a collective that agrees to basic standards of good journalism and rules of evidence. The collective should have a method for peer review of its decisions prior to releasing damaging information.

Without controls against disinformation leaks, we will be soon be up to our ears in enough moonbat reports to fill a lifetime of reading. At least with secrecy, you can see the silence.
  38. Anonymous Member

39. timid sparrow Member

^ thanks for the link. I wish I were there, I would go
  40. timid sparrow Member

Would that mean Julian would be obliged to give it to the lawyer but the lawyer is obliged to not divulge the key?

That's like blocking the information