Customize

Wikileaks need help! Mass-mirroring Wikileaks

Discussion in 'Wikileaks' started by Anonymous, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

Re: Wikileaks need help! Mass-mirroring Wikileaks

It's the governments own responsibility to keep stuff, that needs to be secret so.
    But once the secret has leaked and has become news worthy, then it can't just go around and try to shut down websites, where its stuff gets published, because that violates the freedom of speech and press.
    It's perfectly within the law to make government leaks public and it happens all the time.
    The government should just get over the butthurt and try to keep its secret more secure next time.
  2. AnonyVix Member

Yes we can, question is can they handle us knowing the truth.
  3. Re: Wikileaks need help! Mass-mirroring Wikileaks

4. timid sparrow Member

I been leaving comments on articles and getting on forums since yesterday. I don't have a lot of money but sent some last week.

Also wrote to the new Australian Prime minister telling her what a slag she was, but in nicer words.

I think the paypal thing is worrying them at the moment. There are other ways to pay

They need 100,000 x $10
    Twitter / WikiLeaks: If you support WikiLeaks, ...

I try to put that on other forums and article responses as well. Twitter and facebook friends if you feel like it.
  5. timid sparrow Member

I just checked that link, don't pay via paypal, they will hold your money.

Here is the page which gives the ways you can pay

https://donations.datacell.com/
  6. WhiteNight Member

THIS!

And well done guys, you're awesome, especially you LocalSP. I'm a big fan of what WikiLeaks does.
  7. marktomles Member

Agreed, getting involved with wikileaks, especially at this time, would only hurt the chanology cause. Too much controversy, too much drama. Get involved now, and we lose the support of every fed agency, and give the cos great fodder to imply guilt by association.

If you want to help wikileaks, start something. Project Swede or something, I don't know. By Chanology has to keep its focus. And, face it, we're being watched by the scilons just waiting for something like this.
  8. marktomles Member

"(U)pon Secrecy, Success depends in Most Enterprises and for want of it, they are generally defeated." -George Washington
  9. No Balls ?

faggotry_afoot.jpg
  10. LocalSP Member

Justice Hugo L. Black, quotes about Secrecy:
    The Press was protected so that it could bare the secrets of the government and inform the people. Only a free and unrestrained press can effectively expose deception in government. And paramount among the responsibilities of a free press is the duty to prevent any part of the government from deceiving the people.
  11. marktomles Member

You can come up with a thousand quotes advocating a free press. You can come up with a thousand quotes about the importance of secrecy in preserving a Nation's security or the lives of those who live in or serve it.

The heroic moral outrage is fine. But consider the environment in which you're working. Consider the pros and cons.

Pros:
    Support a cause in which you believe. That's all well and good.

Cons:
    Give credence to the scilon claim that we're associating with "terrorists" and "criminals".
    Strengthen the cos position that we're associating with such types, losing the ability to reach individual scientologists with the moral high ground (in their eyes)
    Lose the support of those impacted by the leaks, and most likely most govvie types
    Risk getting caught up in the site blocks, most recently started by amazon, with more surely to follow

I really don't care about the politics. On this site, I really don't care about the philosophy. All I know is that it'll hurt the cause that we've gathered for here, and that's not okay. How many scilons are you willing to lose just to save time from kicking off another "project"?
  12. anonymous612 Member

^He has a decent point. No reason not to help wikileaks, but it might be smart to do it under a different project name to at least maintain the illusion of staying on target. That way you can go and get everyone pissed off at you while still being able to screw with Scientology. Here's your cake, eat it too.
  13. timid sparrow Member

Sensible.
  14. Crappy Member

I like this guy.
  15. Trev6 Member

This. Be distributed and decentralized. Keeping your non-Chanology activities seperate from your identity here at WWP is always a good idea.
  16. LocalSP Member

I see that right off the bat that you consider Wikileaks to be a bunch of criminals and terrorists. If that is what you believe, fine. But where was your outrage when Wikileaks posted all the material about scientology?
  17. marktomles Member

No, you're putting words in my mouth. I'm not saying that.
    I AM saying, which I believe most here understood, that that's exactly how scientology would spin it, both in their public material and in their services.
    I'm glad they posted the stuff about scientology. Why would I be opposed to that?
    I'm not talking about the morality of the site- I'm talking about the practicality of connecting it the scientology efforts.
  18. Pigeon Member

I think you missed the sarcasm in the comment you quoted, but, meh.

You make some good points about the incompatibility of fighting Scientology and fighting the US government. But faced with something like this, I think we have to ask ourselves which is more important: ensuring the survival of our one and only medium for free speech, or hastening the inevitable death of a cult that's nowadays near-powerless?

Anons I know have been saying for a while now that the battle against Scientology is won. When we've raised awareness to the point where a good 90% of the public I leaflet to at protests are saying "Oh, I agree" as soon as I mention "Scientology" and "bad" in the same sentence, what more is there to do? We've cut off their food supply. All we have to do now is watch as more people are driven out by the workings of the Scientology system, and it dies.

I'd say that the Anonymous name is no longer desperately important in the fight against Scientology, and it wouldn't be a tragedy if we moved on. By all means, keep WWP intact and organise on other sites - but do organise. There have been anti-ACTA, pro-internet sites up for more than a year now, and people are seriously wondering when the real Anon is going to get involved.

Now's the time, fags.
  19. Consensus Member

I'm okay with Scientology claiming that secrecy-based governments share a great deal in common with them, and painting us as a common enemy to both.
  20. marktomles Member

Didn't miss it, just chose a good random post to add to. My laziness.
  21. anonymous612 Member

Chanology wouldn't be an appropriate means to protest the war, either. Doesn't mean you aren't "allowed" to do it either on your own or with other Anons. You might notice you haven't really seen the anti-internet censorship protests in Australia and Germany referring to themselves as Chanology, but chanologists are heavily represented in them. But different target, different title.

Besides, has it occurred to you that maybe the chans would be interested in this? And that maybe the chans wouldn't be caught dead participating in Chanology?

Deal with the situation practically and strategically, not like a butthurt preteen.
  22. DeathHamster Member

I didn't see that. But that's certainly how Scientology will play it, especially to their members. (And not just Scientology. Look at how some "respectable journalists" are comparing Assange to a Bond villain, ffs.)

It is best to compartment activism. Chanology is a single-issue activity, without a mixed-bag platform of causes. Anons can cooperate without worrying about having conflicting views on politics, taxation, religion, operating systems, dogs and cats living together...

Meet the Most Dangerous Man in Cyberspace: The American Face of Wikileaks | Rolling Stone Culture
  23. anonymous612 Member

And there are people who would protest Scientology that wouldn't protest to protect Wikileaks, and not just because they think it's eeeevil. It isn't even legal for military anons to protest government actions, last I checked. So that eliminates them from Scientology protests if you make Chanology a Scientology AND Wikileaks project. They just wouldn't be able to risk it. And there are people who would sign on for the Wikileaks side that wouldn't protest Scientology. Way to handicap yourself, LocalSP.
  24. marktomles Member

I'd say that's good advice for all of us, especially when dealing with issues very near to our hearts. It's the strength of the Country, from our very birth, that the people are able and willing to protest and oppose the government itself- it's one of our fundamental rights. And, we can do it in any legal means that we desire. The question is how to be most effective at it.
  25. anonymous612 Member

Exactly. We're Anons, one of our greatest strengths is our willingness to abandon sentimentality in favor of efficiency. Who cares what your emotional attachment is? Two targets, two missions would make us more effective. That's what counts, not his emotional response that not calling ourselves Chanology makes us cowards or whatever the fuck his point is.

EDIT: Anon poster below...now that I'm thinking about it that would be an issue for any federal employee. I can think of several who have said specifically they cannot be seen supporting for example an anti-war protest because it could cost them their jobs.
  26. Anonymous Member

Personal knowledge supports this as a valid concern.
  27. Anonymous Member

Sincere question, just out of curiosity:
    If done according to law, papers are only classified if they actually represent a risk to the nation's safety and security, or the safety of individuals associated. By law, items CANNOT be classified just to cover up crimes or embarrassments. For example, any war crime documente could NOT be classified just to cover up the crime. In fact, it would eb a crime to do so.
    That being said, there are some things that have been classifed that were done so illegally.
    The question is- if you came into posession of a list of CIA operatives overseas, and you were aware that releasing that list would result in their deaths (it would, if this were a real life example), would you release the document?
    -militaryfag
  28. Random guy Member

Nice try. Hosting leaked documents is not illegal. Nicking documents may land you in hot water, but once they are in the public domain, they are just text-files.
  29. Pigeon Member

This seems to be a question to everyone. Me personally: I'd choose the lesser of two evils. It would have to prevent a seriously big evil to be worth the death of a whole list of people.

From what I've seen, Wikileaks is pretty responsible about this stuff. They remove names from their documents wherever possible.
  30. Anonymous Member

GTFO of my freedom of expression forum faggot.
  31. LocalSP Member

But they already have spun it that way when wikileaks first released the dox about scientology and we promoted it. Look I'm not saying that WWP should become a mirror for wikileaks. I'm just giving my opinion why I think wikileaks is a good thing. You can do what ever you want regarding the wiki situation and I will do what I think is right.
  32. Pigeon Member

If our society is going in the direction I think it's going, it might be illegal in the near future. We don't know how authoritarian this government is going to get in an effort to preserve itself. But if it gets that bad, I don't think most anons are the type to stand by and do nothing anyway.
  33. Anonymous Member

Not accurate. Inadvertant release of classified documents does not equal public domain. Gov folks that download (even in temp docs) these files could still find themselves in trouble.
    Just a be careful!
  34. marktomles Member

Gotcha- you have freedom of expression. I don't. Nice.
  35. marktomles Member

<sincerity>
    By all means, that's the beauty of this Country- we can protest it. We can picket. We can speak. We can listen. We can read. Use it, and enjoy it.
    </sincerity>

out for now.
    all, seriously, do what you feel is RIGHT. That's the important part.
  36. Anonymous Member

No you idiot didn't get my point.
    You are the one telling us we can't discuss wikileaks here, just because it might hurt the image of Chanologists, even though that's and absurd statement.
    Yet the purpose of this forum called "freedom of expression" is to discuss topics pertaining to freedom of expression, even if independent of Scientology, otherwise there wouldn't be so many ACTA threads here.
  37. marktomles Member

Where did I say you "can't" do something? Saying there's a smarter way is very different.
    You're obviously very passionate about the issue, and that's super. I'm just saying think before you act. Is that wrong?
  38. Pigeon Member

No, he's not restricting your freedom of expression because you're a faggot. He's just telling you you're a faggot. There's a difference.