Customize

WikiLeaks cyberbrawl is battle of amateurs

Discussion in 'Wikileaks' started by Mark Cabian, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Mark Cabian Member

WikiLeaks cyberbrawl is battle of amateurs

Sauce:
    Fosters.com - Dover NH, Rochester NH, Portsmouth NH, Laconia NH, Sanford ME

... "In chat rooms run by Anonymous, a hacker group that came to WikiLeaks' defense, the suggestion to attack Amazon came up repeatedly, but was shot down. The more savvy hackers knew they didn't have the clout to attack a real Web business.

Amazon sites in Britain, France, Germany and other countries went offline for about a half-hour late Sunday, but Amazon blamed a hardware failure rather than attack.

Anonymous may be growing in clout, but it has still succeeded in only minor mischief. Previously, the group has taken on such sites as the Church of Scientology and Kiss bassist Gene Simmons. Tackling Visa and MasterCard was a step up, but to gain enough participants to make a dent, Anonymous had to open up its normally secretive Web chat channels, exposing the group to the eye of law enforcement.

Most Internet-based attacks use "botnets," swarms of hijacked PCs around the world that, unbeknownst to their owners, can be harnessed remotely. Anonymous took a higher road with "Operation Payback." Instead of hijacking computers, the group distributed a program that users could install to add their PCs to the attack.

The tool Anonymous distributed to launch the attacks, fancifully called "Low Orbit Ion Cannon" after a feature of a computer game, is ostensibly designed as a tool for testing website security, not as a secretive weapon."
  2. rof Member

3. Anonymous Member

Re: WikiLeaks cyberbrawl is battle of amateurs

"Anon Operation" has been tweeting its publically available website and IRC channel since months.
    They have also taken down music industry websites before.
  4. Anonymous Member

Yes, thats somthing rarely communicated
  5. Anonymous Member

Let's not forget that those channels were never closed or secretive to begin with.
  6. grebe Member

This AP article is saying Anonymous is immature and weak, not scary.

If I could comment I might say that the apparent weakness is a feature, not a bug. Politically active Anonymous is not, in fact, a terrorist organization.

And to my comment I would add a recipe for marble cake.

What did they expect, the Spanish Inquisition?
  7. xenubarb Member

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!