Customize

wiki.whyweprotest.net - a new place for collaborative work

Discussion in 'Site News and Announcements' started by da5id, Jul 20, 2009.

1. AnonLover Member

Re: wiki.whyweprotest.net - a new place for collaborative work

ok then so it isnt just me getting that same error. thks DH.

any halp for getting this error fix'd from wiki webmaster and/or mods??
  2. Re: wiki.whyweprotest.net - a new place for collaborative work

That's a server issue rather than a wiki one. Whoever runs the server probably needs to change ownership permissions for the image folder and its subdirectories, I'd guess.
  3. _You_ Member

Under list of you tube vids there is a link to a video about Anonymous hacking Sarah palin's email.
    remove it plox, braging about this will not halp our cause.
  4. Ann O'Nymous Member

Is there still an wiki admin active ?
  5. da5id Administrator

I'm active as in "around", but not active on the wiki. Whats up.
  6. Ann O'Nymous Member

It would be nice to adapt the home page to the actual content. I tried to do so with the available tools, but I think it could be improved. Some janitorial work could be done too, IMHO.
  7. da5id Administrator

ahh.. yah im more of a tech guy and less of an editor. i'd have to learn it all too.
  8. Anonymous Member

It comes down to individual efforts, if someone can step forward and say "I know how to make the wiki front page better" then by all means, please do so. Admin responsibilities boil down to keeping the nuts and bolts on the machine lubricated so that others can continue using those machines to accomplish their goals. Admin time is always stretched thin, due to taking care of multiple sites, machines, etc etc. It's always nice to think that Admins should know all and DO all but that isn't the case, we all have to make efforts to (K)eep(A)nonymous(W)orking... your either helping and contributing everything you can or your not, OK? uh,...because I'm carrying my load, alright - and not only that, as much as I'm carrying I still feel like I gotta do more, alright? There's still a thing of, "LET'S GO!" - fuck nevermind I'm ranting like a lunatic.

24gq3vd.jpg.gif

Inb4adminspostinganonymouslytomakeupexcuses
  9. fisherman Member

Ann O'Nymous,

I've been "working in the wiki for a while now" (sounds like a song, doesn't it, "I've been workin' on the wiki...") -- anyway... I agree with you. While I actually think the wiki and the front page are quite good, considering how they evolved, there is still a certain lack of clarity, self-explanation, a clear path. When I was in advertising we called it "tracking" but I don't know what it's called in the world of websites and interwebs.

I do know enough to wonder if this might be a big project that would require more than just contributor privileges. Anyone taking this on, might need to re-arrange information more categorically. That would be a big job and require a strong knowledge of everything in the wiki. It also might ruffle some feathers. It would be great to have a tightly integrated wiki - but maybe that's more than we can bite off and chew.

A face-lift could help, but may be of limited value in terms of creating better "tracking" and clarity.

One important thing to consider: Do most people access the wiki from an outside link to a specific article?

If that's the case, having the "nicest front door" may not be so important. Others may have a better feel for that or is it something the admins can tell us? Are people browsing the wiki? Going from article to article? Or do they land on a specific article, read, and leave?

A better handle on how the wiki is being used might help guide further improvements.

BTW: if anything I've written sounds negative toward your suggestion, I certainly don't mean it in that way. I love the wiki, have contributed to it and would be thrilled to see it better utilized!
  10. Ann O'Nymous Member

I understand your post. As I said, I tried to improve the home page with the tools available to me, but the result is far from perfect.
    I agree with everything you say.
  11. Re: wiki.whyweprotest.net - a new place for collaborative work

Folk who are already experienced with wikis may find they can contribute better on the wiki than on the forum.
  12. Re: wiki.whyweprotest.net - a new place for collaborative work

I'm an admin on the wiki because I had experience with wikis before, I'm helping to look after the wiki and checking it daily.
  13. Anonymous Member

Just testing something with the WIKI tags
    [WIKI]UK Business Rates Project[/WIKI]
  14. Anonxmous Member

oopsie
  15. Anonymous Member

Dump of some stuff I said to a Mod a little while back:

I think building it up to a critical mass of editors working collaboratively requires getting rid of a few of the trivial hurdles that are just enough to make people feel they can't be bothered right now.

Primarily I mean things like
    - Not needing to create another login, eg vbWiki Standard - vBulletin+MediaWiki integration - vBulletin.org Forum

- Ability to identify a wiki page to a thread, and have a link to that wikipage readily accessible when browsing the thread (eg: Threadtools menu, or even own button on that bar)

- Ease of linking from a WWP wiki page to a WWP forum post (currently have to answer a math question each time) - prob also include other 'approved' sites like youtube.

- Ease of linking from a forum post to the Wiki (I'm sure there is a way to do this, but the Wiki reference-linkSparrow tags Da5id advised don't seem to work. Bizarrely, they do work in message preview! - UPDATE: Anonymous posting seems to prevent parsing of the WIKI tags.
  16. Re: wiki.whyweprotest.net - a new place for collaborative work

I am guessing it is down?

Unable to create an account for use.
    Would greatly appreciate such use.
  17. HookerMC Member

I see various bad guys like Visa and Bank of America trying to stop people from donating to Wikileaks or Julian Asange. Does anyone have a list of the organizations or banks that are actually helping him/wikileaks?
  18. Inononomous Member

at least 3 people have asked wtf is wrong with the new user reg. for the wiki so wtf is wrong?
  19. AnonLover Member

< sigh >

See http://forums.whyweprotest.net/233-website-issues-requests/wiki-down-73789/

tl;dr - hardware failure, lots of shit knocked out. all but wiki is back, it needs reinstalled on new hardware and restored. this aint done yet cuz mods got pestered to point of raeg and fk-all i dont know what all broke loose in a well deserved nazi mod from hell warfare.

so now we politely wait patiently liek good lil tards until they get around to it and try very hard not to bug them about it, in hopes that someday over the rainbow it will eventually come bak (fingers crossed hope to God)
  20. Vajranon Member

Pardon my French, but how the FUCK do you create a new account. The link(s) I found here in this threat link to the login not to a signup.

Many thanks in advance.
  21. Fuckeye Member

...seriously? You couldn't even read the one post before yours, which explains it?