Customize

Why do you support WikiLeaks?

Discussion in 'Wikileaks' started by Aericks, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Aericks Member

Why do you support WikiLeaks?

Hi, I was just checking this site out, mostly because of the news that I heard on the news, honestly. I am from Washington State in the USA, and most of the broadcasting companies that I watch tell me how horrible WikiLeaks is, and blah blah blah. But then, right after crying out about how horrible they are, they proceed to post news on the information it released! Nobody wants to admit to supporting it, but everybody reads the information they release!

Now I am an advocate of freedom of information, and I know that is what Anonymous fights for; freedom. I agree that knowledge should be shared regardless of wealth or public standing.

I guess my personal problem is that I have a moral dilemma. I am from the United States, and having all of these documents that were previously unknown to the public is surfacing. Some of these cables are hurtful towards other nations, and I am sure it is a public relations nightmare for Hillary Clinton. On the other hand though, some things just should not be hidden, and America should not cover the eyes of everyone so quickly.

So I guess my question is this: Why do you support WikiLeaks? And more importantly, do you think WikiLeaks is serving to only hurt the world (Or more specifically the United States), or make the world a better place?

Honestly I decided to come here because I know that there IS a large amount of support in the world, and if that is the case, there must be some good in it, unlike what all of our news companies in the States are trying to brainwash us with.
  2. Anonymous Member

re: Why do you support WikiLeaks?

This is an excellent question. I think most people (the general public) are sorta confused about Wikileaks, and all the media 'hating' and 'calls for assassination' guides a lot of opinions.

Is Wikileaks different from any other newscaster or journalist?
  3. Ogsonofgroo Member

My opinion. Its mostly diplomatic fuckery, and folks being embarassed by the non-transparent back-door back-stabbings that is typical of all gov'ts.
    There just ain't enough crows ta make a pie big enough for some of it. Mostly, especially as a Canucklehead (ya could read 'apathetic, typical, lazy-till-it-bites-yo-ass'), I am just sortta meh about the whole thing, but interested enough to make a big batch of popcorn and stock up on beer...
    Just a quick 0.02$ worth for the evening hours.
  4. Anonymous Member

Wikileaks is the future, and some people just can't handle it. These journalists are afraid of what their roles will be now that they lost their gate keeper privilege.
  5. Aericks Member

1st anonymous: I feel that WikiLeaks is slightly different than most newscasters, simply because all they do is post information, instead of giving a mostly biased opinion. When you read the news, you hear their opinion on the matter and they try to persuade you to move in that direction. WikiLeaks is... Well, WikiLeaks is what you make of it. And I guess I don't know its purpose quite clearly for that very reason.

Ogsonofgroo: Very true, its mostly he-said she-said bull crap, the opinions of diplomats written where nobody else can read them. Gossip, really.

2nd Anonymous: This will definitely change the future, especially for journalism. Do you think that WikiLeaks or another source will continue to post top secret documents, or do you think that it will end with the 50,000 cables that are still being released?
  6. Anonymous Member

You could use a better thread title as this is one of the critical questions re: Wikileaks. Your thread title sucks big time.

Come up with a better one and report your post to the admins/,mods and ask them to change it.

TIA.
  7. Anonymous Member

Re: Why do you support WikiLeaks?

It's worth watching WikiRebels to see that what has already been leaked is going to be the basis for many documentaries to come. Also to see the nod Julian gives to Scientology for behaving exactly the way it does to everyone scrutinising them.
  8. Aericks Member

Okay, so I flunked out of thread title making school. Point taken.

To the latest anonymous, thank you for the post, it cleared up several questions that I had concerning Julian Assange's motives. It seems to me that he is more concerned with letting the world know of the atrocities America has committed more than hurting them as a country. I can definitely understand his motives."If you engage in immoral or unjust behavior, it will be found out, it will be revealed, and you will suffer the consequences," is what Julian said.

I feel somewhat conflicted as an American citizen, but I also believe that Julian's motives are pure. And at least last time I checked, it is legal in the United States to disagree with the general opinion of the public. I feel that Assange's side of the story is completely dwarfed by the barrage of media surrounding him, and it is definitely a tactic that they are using to make him look like a villain. Thank you for the video, I was not able to finish it at the moment, but I have bookmarked it to finish later.

*Edit*
    Hah, thanks for the new title, that one is ten times better!
  9. Anonymous Member

The end of the video mentions people not liking his strategy starting another project called Open Leaks, which will probably also flourish thanks to the publicity caused by his strategy. I definitely think the crowd-sourcing method of analysing leaks that didn't work years ago will now work thanks to the new popularity.
    So yes, more leaks will happen. He did change the game, even if he became a casualty of his own strategy.
  10. iaxiloll Member

First and foremost I believe that all information should be free, not just free of charge but free for all that want to have access to it. America's leaders were voted into power where they not ? The citizens put them in place with there votes to lead and represent them. What I see happening is a misuse of that trust. If your parents were having a hard time staying together would you want to know, if your girl was cheating on you would you want to know? If a close family member was dying of cancer would you want to know? If your brother was using your bank account to fund his dope business would you want to know? If someone had this information for you, you could choose to condemn the person because the person was accused of smuggling Mexican immigrants over the border and ignore the truth till it blows up in your face.
  11. Aericks Member

Anonymous: I think you are right that the crowd sourcing idea will definitely work for WikiLeaks provided that there are enough supporters to do so, and at the moment it looks like that is the case. But, now that everyone knows that he got his hands on those cables, won't some way be found that they can plug the hole that he enters to get that information?

iaxiloll: I believe that you are right in your argument. If a leader were doing something behind my back, I would want to have the right to know. I do agree with you that our leaders have definitely been doing things behind closed doors and they exploit the fact, doing many things that we American Citizens would not necessarily agree with.

Do you think that WikiLeaks has released some sensitive information that may possibly endanger the lives of our military troops or possibly others?
  12. Anonymous Member

Honestly, I hate to have to say this. The leaks -may- inspire attacks on overseas Americans. It hasn't happened yet, but that doesn't mean it won't. But this is really, and this is the part I hate saying, the least of the problems with the leaks.

The American Government is really trying hard to divert attention away from all the dirty laundry that's being aired, much like during the Pentagon Papers leak (Google that). A truism in politics is; the weaker your position, the more outrage and bluster you deliver. They've been caught behaving very badly, and they know it. And they're taking a strong stand on the side of censorship, oppressive censorship. Not because it's in the best interests of troops or overseas citizens, but because they fear 'getting into trouble'. Much like small children run and hide, or lie, when they're caught.
  13. mojo Member

freedom of info...and the hypocrisy of those yelling the loudest....always irks the shit out me. the dictators and axis of evil is snickering in the corner while the "free" world governments are baaaawing to anyone who will listen. :rolleyes:
  14. Anonymous Member

Though I find this sort of speculation doubtful, it wouldn't surprize me if situations were manufactured to make it seem like there is danger.
    Good christalrightry, shit like this can't make mericans look any worse that what is already seen by the rest of the world now, I mean wtf, endanger troops already out fighting? What? They going to get shot at more? Oh my! Imagine that! *facepalm/jpg*
  15. cut2deep Member

I find that it's important to have a site like Wikileaks to expose unlawful practices and corruption. However, this sort of thing does take wisdom. I question the wisdom of these leaked cables.

You would never tell your girlfriend for the sake of "truthful honesty" that she's really looking kinda bloated today. Would you? It not only would be wise, but neither kind nor a very smart thing to do. Yet, it is truthfully your honest opinion and what you may feel upon seeing her. But transparency for the sake of transparency is dangerous, don't we agree? It will change relationships, and not necessarily for the better. We need to have a certain level of prudence, wisdom, sensitivity and discretion (even love) when dealing with such delicate matters. It takes wisdom to find that balance.

I struggle with the way Assange talks about the purpose of Wikileaks and how he has made such "revelations" for his site regarding U.S. intellectual property. He seems bent on exposing for the sake of exposing. And clearly, he has it out for the USA. Through this Cablegate drama, he wants to show the duplicitousness of the United States and other countries in American diplomatic dealings. What is has shown is that diplomacy is a very difficult, tactical and strategic endeavor, masterfully conducted by some really dedicated people in the field who have worked years to build relationships, etc. And with a simple upload, years of work have been destroyed. And for what? For the sake of transparency? in the name of "freedom"?

This dance between transparency and secrecy must coexist on some level. Secrecy is not always bad. I just hope we aren't confusing freedom with anarchy, 'cuz at times, that's what it seems like to me when hackervists wage cyberwar against those former Wikileaks vendors.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Anonymous Member

Why is it acceptable to turn a blind eye to murder and loss of innocent civilians. It absolutely amazes me. Speculation about the endangerment of soldiers my country men. I don't know how someone who purports to be American can use that kind of logic. How can that be more important?
  17. xenubarb Member

So far, all the leaks have been vetted to avoid endangering people. However, the State Dept. was offered the opportunity to check the dox and they refused.

If someone is hurt due to this information, whose fault is it? Assange, or the State Department that rejected the offer to check the information first?
  18. thefatman Member

Personally, nobody has been put in danger. If people are saying soldiers are in danger, that's stupid, they were always in danger, I doubt the insurgents give a damn (they may not even know) about Wikileaks, and besides, they're in a war zone, it's already putting them in danger.

It's an important step in increasing government accountability. Assange is a legend and is innocent of what he is being accused of. It's a shame more people aren't as bold as him.
  19. Anonymous Member

Wikileaks published the Narconon emails leaked in Quebec when no media wanted to touch the story. They're OK in mah book.
  20. Anonymous Member

21. xenubarb Member

Scuse me, faggot, but you forgot option three...crack down like a totalitarian motherfucker and make the citizens criminals for demanding transparency and a little class from our elected officials.

It looks like they really like Option Three in the US.
  22. OTBT Member

I initially supported Wikileaks because they hosted "confidential" Scientology
    documents fearlessly in 2008, when pretty much every other website in the
    world was too chicken shit to host large amounts of Scientology documents. And
    then Wikileaks told Scientology to piss off when Scientology threatened them
    with lawsuits.

That was a game changer, as far as Scientology "confidentiality" was
    concerned. People from all over the world could, in private, and unharrassed,
    view the crazy policy ramblings of the madman Hubbard, and make up their own
    mind about what to think, rather than finding out after paying hundreds of
    thousands of dollars that people are secretly controlled by the ghosts of dead
    space aliens.

Wikileaks fearlessly hosted lots of internal Scientology documents that showed
    just how criminal, psychotic and screwed up the "church" was. Scientology was
    a menace to society trying to masquerade as a benevolent tax-exempt church.

Try a Google search for:
    Scientology Fair Game
    Scientology Disconnection
    Scientology RPF
    Scientology Wages
    Scientology Contract
    Scientology Human Trafficking
    Scanned copies of internal Scientology documents showing proof of this ^ stuff
    is now freely available to anyone on the internet. It wasn't always that way,
    quite the opposite, in fact.

Fast forward to 2010...

Now, it looks like something similar is set to happen on a much larger scale.
    Wikileaks is going far beyond the rantings of the crazy pipsqueak cult of
    Scientology that infiltrated governments, lawyers and legal systems.

Wikileaks now appears to expose the confidential rantings of actual
    governments.

Just my oversimplified opinion, but then again, I'm an idiot.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Anonymous Member

I have always been a little put off by wiki leaks, but was happy there was a place that would fight the battles needed to host CoS docs.

I really didn't know much about Asange, I knew that wikileaks had Scn Docs. and I knew that they had the docs drop on the US etc, but I would rather not have known. But news casts and this site pretty much made that impossible. So I did some research, frankly I think Assange has many traits of cult leaders. His ego is enormous and those obsessed with various different movements fall all over him. But I also think his supporters have "blinders on".

I do not think that his leaks are always impartial, I think JA releases documents to get attention for his own causes, so he then gets to shape the debate when he is interviewed. He also champions for other causes trying to bring them to his. But his fellow wiki leaks supporters are branching off maybe they feel the same way. At least recently the infromation has been used to attack and shape public opinion, not simply inform it. Education, advertising, propaganda, and indoctrination all share the same continuum and I think wiki leaks has crossed the point of education, but I don't have enough facts to judge how far.

Best answer I can give prior to my morning coffee.
  24. Re: Why do you support WikiLeaks?

I support WikiLeaks, in fact and in principle, because human rights abuses are human rights abuses, whether they be committed by a cult, a corporation, or a government. As an American citizen, I am beyond pissed off that our tax dollars paid for pedophilia (Dyncorp). I am beyond pissed off our government leaned on Ireland to give the Vatican immunity in the pedopriest scandal that hit Eire. I am beyond pissed off that our government has committed numerous other atrocities in our name. Where this type of shit occurs, I want those responsible held accountable, whether it be a cult member, a corporate executive, a cleric, or a government official.

One of the greatest legal minds in our nation's history was Justice Louis D. Brandeis. His words from long ago ring even more true today than they did then. Here are a few of his quotes:

"'Decency, security, and liberty alike demand that government officials shall be subjected to the same rules of conduct that are commands to the citizen. In a government of laws, existence of the government will be imperiled if it fails to observe the law scrupulously. Our government is the potent, the omnipresent teacher. For good or for ill, it teaches the whole people by its example. Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. To declare that in the administration of the criminal law the end justifies the means -- to declare that the government may commit crimes in order to secure the conviction of a private criminal -- would bring terrible retribution. Against that pernicious doctrine this court should resolutely set its face." ~ Dissent, Olmstead vs. United States, 277 U.S. 438 (1928)

"Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the Government's purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." ~ Dissent, Olmstead vs. United States, 277 U.S. 438 (1928)

"Fear of serious injury cannot alone justify suppression of free speech and assembly. Men feared witches and burned women. It is the function of speech to free men from the bondage of irrational fears." ~Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357, 376 (1927), later overturned in Brandenburg v. Ohio, 395 U.S. 444 (1969) using Brandeis' reasoning.

And finally, and most famously, "Publicity is justly commended as a remedy for social and industrial diseases. Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants; electric light the most efficient policeman." ~ Other People's Money—and How Bankers Use It (1914).

His was a singular mind. Read more at WikiQuote
  25. Anonymous Member

Wikileaks was an inevitable evolution just as the moment business and finance became a Global economy, clashes were an inevitable trainwreck waiting to happen.

That train was powered by the gush of new opportunities of corruption and greed and cloaked in secrecy. With the recent events of worldwide economic chaos, there are those that "swore" they didn't see it coming. Government officials swore they didn't know that they, too, had transformed into just another corporate enterprise.

Well, Someone had to put that train together, lay the tracks, engineer it, and throw the cloaking devices over it.

And all those that hopped aboard as "innocent" passengers are claiming not only did they not see the train they were riding on, they're also pretending Assange and Wikileaks caused the train to derail.

Absurd or at best, disingenous. Sunshine is still the best disinfectant. Those who are ringing the "You'll Go Blind!" alarms should crawl back in their caves. The rest should stop their insufferable whining and start pitching in to help restoration and cleanup of the disasters they dumped on all us.

This is a new era. Wikileaks is just the beginning.
  26. Anonymous Member

How can anyone NOT support Wikileaks?

The public now know the exact procedures used in Guantanamo ever since the gitmo manual got leaked.
    The public now know to an extent never before how the US covered up torture and murdered civilians ever since war logs, briefing notes and internal memos got leaked.
    The public now have easy access to the Scientology materials after WikiLeaks showed balls and hosted the stuff.
    The Icelandic people had access to the WikiLeaks-hosted information about why their country went bankrupt, while the traditional media were gagged by the courts.
    The US population now have access to millions of dollars worth of congressional reports.
    The banned website list that was leaked showed the public what was really going on, and highlighted the discrepancy between what the politicians were saying and what they were actually banning.
    And all these before the recent cables unmasking the cesspool of US corruption. So how the fuck can anyone not support Wikileaks?

Oh that’s right, some people are stupid and are buying into the US party line of ‘wikileaks are harming national security’. Fucking plebs. You go back to your fail media sources now.
  27. Anonymous Member

Hey, if all information should be freely available to everyone how about you post your full name, address, SSN, any PINs, and, while you're at it, blood type.
  28. Anonymous Member

Yes. Assange himself discusses it during an interview earlier in the year.

INTERVIEW WITH JULIAN ASSANGE, FOUNDER OF WIKILEAKS | Hungry Beast
  29. Re: Why do you support WikiLeaks?

I support Wikileaks because the people of the world need to know the truth. Our so called government keeps way too much information under locks and keypads.

Srsly, show us the Area 51 alien.
  30. Anonymous Member

"And all those that hopped aboard as "innocent" passengers are claiming not only did they not see the train they were riding on, they're also pretending Assange and Wikileaks caused the train to derail.

Absurd or at best, disingenous. Sunshine is still the best disinfectant. Those who are ringing the "You'll Go Blind!" alarms should crawl back in their caves."

Also, masturbation.
  31. Anonymous Member

Usually I'm in reasonably good health. Firm bowel movements that I have complete control over. And with that control, I work to ensure nobody else 'sees' those bowel movements. The inner workings of my digestive tract are nobody's business but mine. Not even people that depend upon me, that rely on me have the 'right' to see my shit.

But sometimes, if I'm unwell, I get diarrhea. Now, I could be angry at my body for betraying me, for displaying my shit for everyone to see, or I can say 'oh how embarassing. I'm sorry, I'm sick. I'm working on getting better.'

But if I have diarrhea and a gerbil comes out, I don't expect everyone around to ignore it.
  32. Anonymous Member

Because it's cool and shit.
  33. Anonymous Member

I think that Wikileaks is a good thing! a lot of people are scarred to admit they like it because of their governments. Wikileaks show the people how to use information against lies. This is not a war like the US wants us to believe; it´s simply about the freedom of knowledge and speech. Of course the US Gov. is afraid of the leaks because of the embarrassments the docs reveal. i m a fan of wikileaks because it shows us a way to copy with corruption and wrong information. sometimes it is not good to know everything, but a government should be as transparant as possible. To be honest, the things i see on wikileaks (take the video of the US Army shooting the Reuters journalists and so on) make me hating the US on a political level. Don´t understand me wrong, i m someone with normal thoughts; i maybe defend my thoughts more aggressively than others (not taking about illegal actions), but i m standing up for my opinion and i want the US to change their policy. I don´t say i understand everything, but i think i m intelligent enough to demand change! Assange may be a hacker, but for me he has the right attitude. Of course he was more aggressive, when he was young, but he s an adult now, he seems to be intelligent and that makes a lot of people afraid. Besides it is not OK, that the US Gov. applies pressure on VISA and co..that´s more like a "what the hell..." thought. You got the idea...
  34. Re: Why do you support WikiLeaks?

I support Wikileaks because I am tired of voting for elected officials to represent me. I prefer to have some random foreigner decide what is secret and what is not.

This is sarcasm. I only mention this because the average WWP user has the IQ of a squashed snail.
  35. Re: Why do you support WikiLeaks?

I support wikileaks 'coz it make chavez ragequit

Seriously , i support it because it have show the "dark" side of this government , which is venezuela on this case.. and for freedom!
  36. Consensus Member

So you still have faith in your representatives to decide what you should and should not know?

You'll be getting lots of presents from daddy this christmas.
  37. Re: Why do you support WikiLeaks?

Please keep your tl;dr to a minimum.

Yes. I would rather continue with a system that works more than it fails and keeps electable officials accountable. Countries that have surrendered accountability to a Dear Leader seem to fail demonstrably - Kim, Stalin and that German guy.
  38. Anonymous Member

I love this quote. Its identifies everything and anything wikileaks vouches for.

Your missing the complete point. Its not about making ALL information free to everyone. Its to make information that should be heard that is covered up. Like the killings, tortures and murder that are going behind the publics back by the government. The governments are terrorists, they are out to take control of everyone and everything. I can only speak of United kingdom and the United states of America on this however. They are the ones raging the wars, they are the ones taking us to war, making enemies and bring the world to an unsafe place. Wikileaks is to expose this, and to hopefully make the public stand up to this bullshit.
  39. Consensus Member

Oh, then we're on the same team. I'm not calling for violent revolution, nor for us to abandon our republican democracy. I'm not calling for 100% transparency.

But this isn't a case where Daddy needs to spank his children. This is a case where Daddy caught syphilis from his transvestite mistress, and he's yelling at us that it's none of our business - threatening us to pay no attention.

This view does not mean I want out of the family.
    • Like Like x 1