Customize

Why be anonymous?

Discussion in 'Think Tank' started by Automaton, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Automaton Member

Why be anonymous?

My dad just had a long rant about how anonymous is "cowardly". He told me how he was in the anti-apartheid movement and they were proud to tell people who they were and live with the consequences. He said the whole idea of a protest is to show who you are and what you believe in, and that the the idea of a "protest" and "anonymous" is contradictory.

Responses?
  2. Anonymous Member

Re: Why be anonymous?

Because it helps people and saves lives.
  3. grebe Member

Anonymous donates more to charity than any other group.

Anonymous votes in every election, in huge numbers.

Your father is anonymous to the people reading this thread. As are you.
  4. Automaton Member

He said that if we really believe in what we stand for, we wouldn't care about anything that scientologists might do to us, and we should be proud we are known. He also told me how there were "many a time when me and your mother were backed into a corner by racist idiots because we were in the AAM".

I guess he thinks it's cowardly to not want to die.

p.s. he said george carlin would have a field day ranting about the concept of anonymous protests.
  5. AuntAnonymous Member

Yeah and George Carlin (though I liked him for the most part) made rape jokes.
    Srsly. Tell your dada to go look at some of the shit that Carlin said so who care what the dead guy would have thought about Anonymous.

I'm Anonymous cause old ladies in their 50's with sensitive jobs can't be harassed or black PR'd or bullbaited by the likes of the brainwashed $cilons.

My employers, family and neighbours would say to me to "for God's sake.....put a mask on!"

So I did.
  6. Sponge Member

7. Re: Why be anonymous?

It's all very well and good saying "in my day blah blah blah," but frankly a) it isn't his day anymore and b) he wouldn't be so blaze if what happened with "Operation PC Freakout" happened to him. It's very easy to be blaze when nothing is actually happening to him yet.

I think the way Anonymous is is perfect for what we're up against. Scientology has perfected it's "take down organisations" system. Anonymous isn't any kind of organisation. We're a collective. That can't stop us.
  8. Spangly Member

"Your dad is wrong, old, and will die soon."

That's the harsh asshole response.

The more constructive one is that Scientology doctrine literally demands that they identify their "attackers", identify their leaders, and abuse them on a personal level. Wide-spread anonymity is the perfect counter to that.
  9. Re: Why be anonymous?

I chose not to be "anonymous", leaked a recording of an OT 8 "minister" beating a kid and........ nothing but trouble. Police calls, arrest, lawsuit, disconnection, P.I shadows.

Stay anonymous, if you are not stupid like me.
  10. xenubarb Member

Explain to him how the Founding Fathers used anonymity to fight the British in the press. Why? Their thoughts needed to be spread, and the Brits would've hung them for treason were they caught.

So the Scientologists aren't as badass as the redcoats. But let's see how well your dad handles PIs and Scientologist assholes doing what they do best; harassing critics and making fans.

The idea of a protest isn't to "show who you are" unless you're some kind of egofag. By wearing the mask, we show solidarity with the other Chanology cells, remove all traces of egofaggotry, and drive the Scilons crazy. Many of us don't need to wear the mask, as the cult already knows who we are. It's really amazing when you wear it to represent a global movement. We remind the cult that this image, this mask, is a global symbol of the fight against Scientology abuses.

Here's what happened to me back in the day when protesters didn't wear masks.
    http://www.vyuz.com/100306_cos1.php

Yay, big fucking fun. I wonder how your dad would like it?
  11. thevoxbox Member

The simple, unfortunate fact of the matter is that it is easy to cause an individual to cave in when faced with overwhelming pressure against their finances, reputation, career, and general peace of mind. The fact that the people who protest without masks have not caved is a testament to their astounding willpower and determination to see justice done.

The masks are not a matter of cowardice, but of strength -- in numbers. Predators pick their prey from the edges of the herd, the individuals who stand out. The masks are there to protect our identities and enable us to move as a collective group with no targets on which to focus.

It's also worth noting (and it may just be me), but many, if not all, of us would happily educate someone on the dangers of the cult if the opportunity presents itself, whether we're in mask or not. I've done my best to inoculate all of my friends and family against it, as I'm sure most other anons have as well. We don't stop being protesters against these abuses when we aren't masked.

But the fact is this: When you go into battle, you arm yourself however possible. In this case, masks are part of the arsenal.

It is not cowardly to wear body armor if you think you may be shot.
    It is not cowardly to wear a mask if you think you may be attacked.
  12. Anonymous Member

Ask your dad if he would hide his face outside a Barclays Bank if they had a policy of idenifying protesters and then harrassing them into silence like Scientology do.
  13. Re: Why be anonymous?

it's not about personal namefaggotry
    it's about the abuses of scientology
  14. starborgled Member

R-r-r-especk!
  15. Anonymous Member

google Shawn Lonsdale.
  16. Anonymous Member

stalingde.jpg
  17. Bottomfeeder Member

Your father is a very wise man. I would take to heart what he is sharing with you.
  18. Anonymous Member

About wut?
  19. Anonymous Member

Because consequences, they will never be the same.
  20. Anonymous Member

Fanning the flames of your own paranoia again? Since when did you start hiding your anonymity?When it became popular? Practice what you preach girlfriend!
  21. Craic n Smack Member

How exactly would you know what she does or doesn't do anonymously?
  22. Anonymous Member

/whoosh
  23. 3rdMan Member

It says right on our front page:

24. Skeptic1337 Member

Tell your "dad" his troll fu is kinda weak but strong enough to get at least two pages worth.

Well played.
  25. Re: Why be anonymous?

Fuck, this thread is AIDS
  26. Anonymous Member

There is another very important idea in protesting: Trying to change the public opinion or trying to spread information. This can be done anonymously.
  27. Skeptic1337 Member

I heard it was something like "ideas are bullet proof, ego is cancer"

Since this is chanology that definition obviously does not apply.

I think it's all about being fashionable and edgy while wearing a gf mask.

That and the anon poon is terrific.
  28. Bottomfeeder Member

? Not in my neck of the basement.
  29. Anonymous Member

Suggest to your dad that the times have changed, and that before he condemns Anonymous or Chanology, he should study both along with the abuses of CoS. If he protested apartheid, he'd likely find himself more sympathetic than he expects.
  30. Anonymous Member

Automaton,
    I think this is a question of tactics. Always choose it appropriately according to the needs of current MEST condition. My parents were also in the anti-apartheid movement, and I'm active in a similar thing currently. In the relatively safe environment of a western nation, showing your face and standing for your opinions is not a problem.
    However, a distant relative of mine was killed some years ago for thinking and showing criticism. When uncovered, people knew how to "optimize" the sacrifices. If there was no way out, take shit on you and cover the asses of others by not knowing them. They would do the same in order to minimze loss of life. And be it to carry the information to a coming generation.

With the ongoing governmental intent to control people and public opinion (1984 - how are you?) we are going back to the dark times of the 20th century and I think everybody REALLY should consider what he/she wants his government should know about him/her in 5+ years.
    Don't be afraid, but cautious.
  31. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

Just this:

Scientology =/= Apartheid.

Tell your dad that the reasons can be found online: Operation Freakout, Fair Game, etc. Yeah, George Collins may have made fun of us, but if he were still alive and knew what Scientology would do with identifying critics, he may have reconsidered.

Just read all of what your thread is giving you and Finish the Fight.
  32. true colour Member

wearing a mask is not cowardice its intelligence
  33. Hombre Moderator Skandinaviska

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmwLPU5H6_Q[/ame]
  34. Anonymous Member

STFU troll. Did you miss this pat of her post?

____

Total Posts
  35. Skeptic1337 Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C570byQCLpI[/ame]

Barbz been around the wwp block a few times, I'm sure she can handle her self.
  36. WagTheWog Member

Automaton
    Total Posts

<tinfoil> Please make it easier to I.D. you </tinfoil>
  37. Anonymous Member

Where did your dad protest aparthied?

South Africa= balls of steel. You could be imprisoned or worse.

United States= meh. I did some of that sort of thing in the day and never really had to worry much about people following me home after or making my life hell.

As mentioned above, scientology has long avoided protest due to their 'fair game' policies, which are posted on nearly every anti-sci site for all to see illustrated with examples such as Paulette Cooper. Masks are needed to fight their strategy.

As for George Carlin, he was very funny in the 70's but (IMO) his later writing before he died revealed a rather angry and downright unpleasant old man. I'm not sure I would hold him up as an shining example of what one should emulate in their lives.
  38. xenubarb Member

Disillusionment will do that to ya. Carlin fought something he had little chance of anything more than poking it with sticks. Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert follow in his Gallegher-esque clown shoes.

Carlin had me in tears back in the day. Gawd, that old hippie was funny!
  39. Anonymous Member

ShitMyDadSays-cover.jpg
  40. Anonymous Member

Here in the US protesting has never really been something that could ruin your life, unless you were doing something illegal. Consequences of protesting in the old days was possible arrest, not much more. I know, I did it. Protesting Scientolgy can be much more life damaging. Ask Sparrow, or any of the early protestors who have been fair gamed.

Tell your folks that even experienced protestors hide their identity. We can stand up for what we believe in without seeking personal glory, which it sounds as if he was after.

I think this is actually the purest form of protest. Doing solely for the sake of helping others and preserving free speech.

If we are in it for glory, we are doing it wrong.