Customize

Which countries recognize CoS as a religion?

Discussion in 'Education, Research and Inside Reports' started by Eff, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Eff Member

Which countries recognize CoS as a religion?

I remember reading on some site or another that the US was one of only three countries in the world to recognize CoS as a religion. (This gave me an idea for a giant Yakko's-World-style poster of all the countries that don't.) I later came to believe that this was most likely an exaggeration, but haven't been able to find any comprehensive list. Does anyone know of (or want to create) a list of which countries consider it a religion, which consider it a charity, and which do not officially recognize it as anything?
  2. AnonNow Member

Re: Which countries recognize CoS as a religion?

From Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology_as_a_state-recognized_religion

7 too many if you ask me!
    Only 7 countries in the world have been suckered into recognizing Scientology as a religion. Only 7 countries in the whole-wide-world are stupid enough to buy into the lie...and still we pussy foot around the 'religious' aspects of the con!
  3. Samuel Hughes Member

Question for the OG and anyone who knows:

The CoS argues that it is recognized as a religion by the government because it has tax-exempt status. Doesn't that makes the Diabetes Foundation a religion? WHERE exactly does it say they were given status as a religion, in contrast to a "charitable organization" which I believe was the ACTUAL wording??????

Has anyone even asked this question before? Is it the lie told so many times, even the critics bought it?

And if I remember correctly, the United States government CANNOT decide what is a religion and what is not. It can only determine tax status.
  4. Shinizak Member

The problem is, many do think of it as a religion. It's as real to them as Christianity is to someone else, the second you take that away from them is the second you take the same right from Christians. That is why we must above all concentrate on the illegal activity and let them practice communicating with their theatans or whatever the hell it is they do...

It keeps public relations okay also.
  5. AnonNow Member

I have never heard so much bullshit in my life!!!
    Within Co$ their 'religious' status is a JOKE, they laugh about it in meetings, in corridors and by the water cooler. LRH's OWN SON under affidavit said he and his dad cooked up the idea of calling it a religion for tax and first amendment reasons. They are laughing at the public of believing it, they are laughing at the poor sods they have convinced and they are laughing at US for going along with it.
    The poor sods at the lower levels who have been genuinely conned DO have a right to believe what they want, but I also have a right to try to help them see the lie they have been told!
    Do you not understand that comments like yours just reinforce LRH's con? All their power to perform these illegal actives stems from their being able to claim that they are religion, the tax exemption, the abuses, these are all blanketed by the 'religious' status.
    This is not something we can ignore!
  6. Eff Member

What exactly are we "taking away" from people who feel that CoS is a religion? We want the abuses stopped, the lies stopped, the disconnect and fair game policies undone, and the tax-exempt religious status revoked. The practice of Scientology as a religion requires none of that. We're not going around smashing E-meters so that people can't use them. We're not burning Hubbard's books. Anyone who thinks of it as their religion can continue to do whatever they're doing now; they'll just be buying their services from a business instead in accordance with the law.
  7. Ulsterman Member

Maybe a better question would be what countries grant CO$ a tax free status and what are the conditions they have to meet to get it?
  8. Shinizak Member

that was exactly my point.

o_o
  9. iaxiloll Member

True, if Scientology lost it's tax free status tomorrow, it would not affect the average Scientologist.
  10. Shinizak Member

They might raise their prices to account for the money they lost, which is even more incentive to get those people out of there and into a better environment...
  11. albinocat Member

There is another point of view: some countries do not have any laws/rules to approve a religion. Example is Germany. Religions don´t get govermental approval. Only when a organisation (religious, charitable, ...) wants tax excemption they must prove that they match the criteria for the excemption.
  12. kiyiyi2 Member

264kxmg.jpg
  13. AnonNow Member

The UK doesn't recognize it as a religion, they are VAT exempt but not recognized as a religion Or a charity. Should be green.
  14. Samuel Hughes Member

EXACTLY.

America is the same. The state cannot APPROVE the status of any religion. It can only recognize it.

And I still sya there is no evidence anyone has been able to show me that the USA recognizes them as a religion, their own claims aside.

They are (mis)recognized as a CHARITABLE ORGANZATION, that they then seem to use as "proof" they are a religion.

AMI THE ONLY ONE WHO SEES THIS?
  15. noitulover Member

same goes for Canada
  16. AnonNow Member

Redo the map, we need more green!
    Quick...to the map making room!
  17. Eff Member

sauce plox

I want some actual proof or a reasonable facsimile thereof.
  18. GuyFux Member

How in the hell can anyone possibly believe they are a charity? A charity doesn't go to the VT campus after a shooting and try to recruit people struck by tragedy into a bankruptcy inducing endeavor.
  19. Magikal Member

Just so everything is clear there are more than just 7 countires where this cult get tax exempt. However, Canada is NOT one of them. While they are recognized as a religious non profit organization country wide, they do not recieve any tax exempt as per the ruling by the Crown in Ontario Dec 1999. The so-called churched filed for tax exempt in 1998 but was refused in 99. Read up also on how the 'church' was found guilty of holding stolen government documents in Toronto and it's bullying of ex members here in our own backyards. I know they get more crazy and wild in the UK and US but we can draw more public attention if we show them what happens here first!
  20. lermanet_com Member

IMO the best source is a page put up by the German Embassy in Washington DC

"Germany, as well as Belgium, France, Great Britain, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Spain, Israel and Mexico, remain unconvinced that Scientology is a religion." - ( Quoted from official German Embassy Web page HERE )

above is linked from my own Scientology is NOT a religion page LINK < use this link whenever you have to use the church or religion word..
  21. MarcabEmpress Member

NICE DEFINITION ARNIE!

As many have stated, there is a difference between a tax exempt charity and a religion. In the US being a religion is one criteria for tax exemption and that is the one Scientology went for wiht their main corportation. There are religions that dont bother to set up tax exempt organizations, but that doesnt NOT make them not a religion, just not into paper work.

Perhaps your map should reflect "countries that accept S as a tax exempt organization" rather than "as a religion." Keep in mind that S has a vast array of other charitable orgs (YFHR, CCHR, etc). Arnie's quote for the German Embassy page is awesome for your very nice map. His linkies can certainly be useful!

from wikipedia cuz it's the fastest
    Main article: 501(c)

In the United States, some types of non-profit organizations, such as churches, schools and charities, are exempted from paying income tax. Conditions depend on the type and purpose of entity, defined in 26 U.S.C. § 501(c), sources of income, activities, and other factors. Other types of tax-exempt organizations include: amateur sports leagues, labor unions, farm associations, and groups of veterans or present members of the U.S. armed forces

Under state laws, many of these same organizations may also apply for exemption from property taxes, sales taxes and state income taxes, although the rules vary from place to place."

So, sidestepping the semantic/theological debate of religion/not a religion, FOCUS ON: What has the main branch of this tax exempt charitable org (which calls itself Church of Scientology) done to VIOLATE ITS STATUS AS A TAX EXEMPT CHARITABLE ORGANIZATION?

What actions have been committed by other Sci TECO that violate their statuses?

By focusing on what rules they have to stay within and what rules they have broken, whether they call themselves a church or a volleyball league, and bringing those violations to the attention of the IRS and Congress is the way to go.

If the TECO that calls itself Co$ looses tax exempt status, then auditing will no longer be a TAX DEDUCTION,and that 300K per Bridge, or even the Purif and basic auditing might not seem so attractive.

Alos, within the crumblin of the tax exempt status, there is the potential for tax revenue which every country and state needs: auditor income, property taxes, sales tax, etc. The property taxes on the C0$ and related org buildings in Los Angeles alone could fill pot holes, put cops on the streets, improve schools and save additional us citizens tax hikes.

Think about what courses cost, and realize that as a US citizen you are basically subsidizing the Bridge for everyone who goes up it, since they can deduct a good portion, if not all of their course work. That money that doesnt flow into the economy either as tax revenue or in exchange for goods and services tha benefit the larger whole.

Not important if they are a "church" or a labor union. What is important is their violation of tax codes that grant them tax free status.
  22. noitulover Member

they are not registered as a charity in Canada either.
  23. lermanet_com Member

oops
  24. lermanet_com Member

25. lermanet_com Member

well said, use this to get people pissed off about their tax status.This is not artwork I created, this is a scan of an actual postcard they mailed to their members, here they USE the fact of this travesty of justice, common sense and humanity as a testimonial to peddle their rubbish. I found this postcard while cleaning out my mother's apartment after her demise in 2000.

smalluncle.gif

My brothers and sisters in arms may use imagery and bandwidth from lermanet.com for this quest.
  26. MongoLloyd Member

Regarding Sweden:

Sweden does not really recognize any religions. They do, however, allow religious non-profit organizations to register as a "religious community".

Doing so means very little. It doesn't give any additional tax breaks over just being a charitable non-profit org. (which is the prereq for registering as a religious community)

Charitable non-profits are not completely exempt from tax in Sweden. Also, the tax authorities there have determined that parts of the CoS's activities (e.g. selling 'courses' for $5k or more) do not qualify as charitable, and thus are taxed just like any other for-profit business activity.

So in summary: Yeah, they're a "religion" there. But apart from the PR of having that label, it doesn't really mean squat.
  27. Re: Which countries recognize CoS as a religion?

Contrary to what I've heard some Scilons claim, the US Supreme Court has never ruled on the cult's religious status. In fact, to the best of my knowledge, the IRS didn't give them "religion status" either, it was just extorted into giving them a not-for-profit, charitable status, by the cult's 190+ frivolous lawsuits.
  28. AnonNaEireann Member

Ireland doesn't recognise ANY religion as a religion, it has no religious register.
    Nor do we have a legal definition of religion, ever since the "officially recognised" religions were removed from the constitution.

The only religions that the main Government party itself (Fianna Fail or the Soldiers of Destiny in English) recognises are Christianity, Judaism, Islam and Humanism.

The former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern was quite the anti-secularist, and called a conference on how to keep religion relevent in Ireland. The above groups were invited to it, the CoS was not, and got quite insulted. Oul Bertie just ignored them.

Basically, the OSA head here (Gerry Ryan) just quotes the EU Court ruling to us, hilariously unaware that religion is up to each member state...