Customize

What would they say about putting Xenu in a movie?

Discussion in 'Think Tank' started by Anonymous, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Anonymous Member

What would they say about putting Xenu in a movie?

Hello everybody. I'm a filmmaker from the UK who has a series of successful animations which have won awards/got big online. I'd link to some, but of course that would defeat the purpose of my anonymity.
    I'm currently planning my next film - which will be a completely plagiarised account of Xenu's story from OT3.

Why am I doing this? Well the Scifags are constantly denying Xenu, saying that the space alien angle is completely fabricated.

So, if I create a film with no mention of Hubbard or Scientology, but directly lift the shitty plot of Xenu and the volcanoes, then they couldn't get pissy - as (according to them) Xenu is nothing to do with Scientology.

My question to you all is: Is the character of Xenu copyrighted? Does he appear in any of Hubbard's "fiction" books?

(All of Hubbard's books are "fiction" I guess, but you know what I mean)

My ideal situation is this:
    1) I release the film
    2) Loads of awards & riches are sent my way
    3) Scientology notices that the story is exactly that of Xenu & the midichlorians
    4) They initiate a C&D stating that that story is the intellectual property of the CoS
    5) We all get the lulz of them admitting to believing in that crap, and for sending a C&D to someone promoting their religious message.

Imagine the Catholic church's lawyers got sue-happy over a local school's nativity play..
  2. incog712 Member

Re: What would they say about putting Xenu in a movie?

Do EEt.

Yeah, they'll probably throw a fit.

As for Xenu, it's something they'd rather not admit to, but when pressed, they do. The cats been out of the bag for a long time now and there's no putting it back in.

But Xenu is only a percent of a percent of a percent of.......
  3. Anonynamefag Member

Tommy Davis admitted to the Xenu story. But still, do it. It'd be funny. :D

They claim Xenu/OT3/etc. is apart of copyrighted "scriptures", but you can't copyright scriptures (it's like saying the Bible is copyrighted). So, I'd say go for it.
  4. El Diablo Member

Not a law-person by any stretch, but have passing familiarity with some media law. Since the Xenu story has been outed as sacred scripture (Tommy Davis/Nathan Baca interview + through leaks), I'd probably forget trying to obscure the connection and look at copyright exceptions for parody. I know the US has them, so maybe UK has similar laws.

Personally I think that simply re-hashing the Xenu story is a bit redundant at this point. Are you planning to use the plot as a vehicle for anything else? Is there something that will distinguish it from what South Park did? Intended audience?...Will it do what it aims to do?...etc, etc.

Anyhow, I don't mean to be a naysayer and all that...but heck, this is the think tank...thought I should put these questions forward.
  5. Ogsonofgroo Member

Hey, Xemu is just somebody's name, it was liek Bob or Joe Smith way back when, didja know?

Go for it imho, but study what's been already done eh!

Anything that sounds like Spanish catz will work anyhow depending on yer target audience, hm, which was?

Have fun, there is a version I really lieked by a you kid a couple of years ago that's funny as hell, just scanned crayon pics, so ya do better thyan that yer ok b y me :)

:)
  6. Hombre Moderator Skandinaviska

Even though OT3 is copyright material I don't think the name Xenu itself is protected by the copyright laws. Did you ever see a TM or C next to his name, hmm?
  7. Ogsonofgroo Member

It probably drives them nutz......

Awwwww-wwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
  8. add1X Member

Xenu is in "Revolt in the Stars" by Hubbard.
  9. Anonymous Member

10. Anonymous Member

YEs THIS ^^^

Revolt in the Stars is a movie written by hubbard and would get you sued big time and you would loose. (also if you don't know this you don't know enough about scientology to write the movie you where talking about)
  11. moreanonymous Member

Hubbard reportedly plagiarized the entire story from a novel, so i wouldn't worry about it much.

12. Olrik Member

We need dox on Lady Min.
  13. 1138anonymous Member

Lady Minge.
  14. FUCK Member

DOO EET!!! And as far as I know, Xenu isn't copyrighted... but I may be very surprised and they still will try to sue you for it.
  15. JohnnyRUClear Member

From what I've pieced together of the ancient galactic tongues, "Lady Min" is roughly translated "Katie Holmes".