Customize

What should I do with over 1000 Scn Magazines

Discussion in 'Think Tank' started by pooks, Mar 22, 2010.

1. OSA Member

Re: What should I do with over 1000 Scn Magazines

I recommend R2-45 for stubborn little SPs, myself;
    but a guillotine is fine too.
  2. Anonymous Member

this :

Amazon.com: HP : Scanjet N8460 Scanner, 600 x 600dpi, 100-Sheet Duplex-Capable Automatic Feeder -:- Sold as 1 EA: Electronics

and this :

Amazon.com: 17" Heavy Duty Desktop Paper Guillotine Cutter New: Office Products

you might want to also have to have around 170 packs of :

Amazon.com: Smead 85704 Campus.org Poly Color Jackets - 6 Pack, Assorted Colors: Office Products

4 of these :

Amazon.com: Avery 2 x 4 Inch White Shipping Labels 250 Count (8163): Office Products

and

Amazon.com: Sharpie Fine Point Permanent Marker, Black (Canister with 36 Pens): Office Products

cut the magazines with the guillotine, ie: just millimeters away from the border.

put the stack in the feeder and scan the magazine. put the stack that came out in a folder, put a label on it and write the magazine name + relevant information such as year and date of publishing.

repeat.

for little over $2000 the digitized copies could be then transferred on an external harddrive (based on 50 pages average the total size of the magazine archive would be around 250gb)and sent or uploaded to someone that could put them to good use :)

for example: a slightly modified image gallery with tagging features.
  3. themadhair Member

4. Anonymous Member

Yeah with such a thing she could do a magazine every five minutes (including the cutting, feeding magazines to the scanner, storing, labeling)

someone could do this in a month time were they to spend part time working hours to it. (two months is more realistic tho.)

Also wanted to add: ~$2000 is the total expense, but when you think of it its $2 an issue. Digitized, so freely copyable etc. Thats a bargain if you ask me.
  5. tippytoe Member

72gio2.jpg
  6. LocalSP Member

7. the_cloak Member

flyer1bookburning.gif
  8. Lorelei Member

I spy Velma from Scooby Doo on that flier, and I AM DISAPPOINT and DISAPPROVE.

FIE!
  9. anonakatie Member

Pooks,

Sent you an email.

Hope you will send them our way.

Thanks,

Katie
  10. Unpunishable Member

I'd like to see such a thing digitalized and freely distributed.:eek:
  11. Lorelei Member

A cheap wooden table, some amusing fotoz, and some polyurethane: KEWL ART TABLE! Wouldn't any house be more stylish with a coffee table decorated with glassy-eyed Ronbot photos, exploding volcanoes, gaudy gold crap decor, grown-ups pretending to be Popeye, and so much more! FUN!

I Want To Decopage A Coffee Table Top With Photos Of My Family. What Are The Best Products To Use? - Yahoo! Answers

The toilet seat would probably be a more fitting project, though. You could make an all-DM project: The Decoupaged Dwarf Terlet Seat.
  12. 2501 Member

the law of irony says that you should recycle them and print anon protest fliers with them.
  13. CowBell Member

Fair Use for Educational/Research purposes. That is how many documents still exist.

If nothing else, the magazines are still of value for potential documentation in court cases.

I'd actually be willing to do the work to scan them in, but I'm not willing to namefag myself.

Once the images are scanned in, the hive can work on OCR, indexing, tagging & putting in multiple nice safe educational settings.
  14. pooks Member

Thanks everyone. I found someone that is willing to do the work and they will be receiving all the mags and then donating them appropriately when they're done with them.

Are there any suggestions on the best way to proceed? I believe the anon that is taking on the job has skills, but if anyone has any suggestions on the best way to scan/index/database these mags, it would be helpful at this point.

Or if you have skills and want to help on the project please let me know.
  15. Anonymous Member

Awesome. You should have them send the magazines back in pdf format.
  16. CowBell Member

For that volume, I would build one of these for $300.

DIY Book Scanning

Once they are scanned, I would let the on-line crowd worry about OCR & indexing.
  17. Zak McKracken Member

retarded.

The tools, time, and fuckups in attempting to build one of those would cost a lot more than $300. If it worked at all, would die in a fire after a few thousand pages.

Pookie: srsly
    What you (and/or the Anon) need is a decent "sheet feed" scanner.

They start around $300 and go up to $2000 or so. $500 would probably buy something adequate that wouldn't fail after seeing DM's face too many times. It will probably be destructive to the magazines. There is no easy way to scan things at volume without cutting off the spines and feeding them through as loose pages.

Phase 2 of the projekt could be rebinding those issues that are worth preserving intact (if any).

Notes on a scanner: if you don't already have one.
    * DUPLEX = scans both sides at once. Cheaper ones may not.
    * Tray capacity > number_of_pages per issue. Will save a lot of bother.

If Anon has a flatbed scanner without a feeder, they need to upgrade. :[

If Anon doesn't have a spare external hard drive (to dump the scans / PDFs onto) - Anon should get one. Doesn't matter how big their primary HDD is, or how much space they think is free- if they're not paying attention, they will run out of space.

Dump the scans to external media.

Make periodic backups to another, different external drive. >1000 magazines is gonna take awhile.

Have a schedule for backing up. (after X number of pages, or X number of days) No schedule = it won't happen.

pix related
    ___

Guillotine = paper cutter, something to chop 'em up:
    item-35327.jpg

Right kind of scanner:
    0236_plustek_adf_pl7000.jpg
    Fujitsu-Fi-5110C-Main.jpg

Wrong kind of scanner:
    41H8H85SZCL.jpg
  18. BusinessBecky Member

Use them for insulation.
    Flush them down public bathrooms.
    Recycle, they probably use asbestos as printer ink so this might not be possible.
    Shred them and use it as packing material.
    Staple them together to make funny costumes.
    Use them to wipe your ass.
    Put a bunch of them together, and make a hollow magazine box.
    How to Make a Hollow Book Box
  19. Tantallanon Member

Make a great big paper maché Xenu dummy with it, and then make a biiiig bonfire, and then burn it on 4 November...