Customize

What are we doing about the Library of Congress?

Discussion in 'Wikileaks' started by Consensus, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Consensus Member

What are we doing about the Library of Congress?

ALA | Intellectual Freedom Manual

The library of congress is a part of the American Library Association. They have a 'library bill of rights' and an 'Intellectual Freedom Manual' which clearly anticipates and opposes actions such as censoring wikileaks.

And yet, the Library of Congress is acting against those rules. They are blocking access to wikileaks. Why the Library of Congress Is Blocking Wikileaks « Library of Congress Blog

A campaign needs to be mounted to have the library of congress either change their position, or be removed as members of the ALA (which would bring them incredible embarassment).

To my knowledge, this battle is not yet being fought. I have many friends who are librarians, and they brought this to my attention - it's been a hot topic of discussion within library circles.

The other battle lines seem to be stable right now; I think this is the best front to make a strong push on.

Any ideas on where to begin?
  2. Anonymous Member

Re: What are we doing about the Library of Congress?

What I'm doing about the LOC: nothing.

Their actions are unfortunate, but the reasons they enumerate for blocking access for patrons and employees within their own facilities are real and non-trivial.

The OMB did send out a warning, that federal employees accessing classified content through WL would very likely be breaking the law. If LOC hadn't taken this step (as did NASA and lots of other agencies and bureaus of the Federal Government) it's quite likely that persons within their organization would be violating federal laws, even unintentionally. Its quite possible they would be subject to sanction or punishment.

For LOC to simply block access through their network is an "easy out". They could have instead, taken a stand against OMB and various watchdog agencies- the fallout would have almost certainly included the person/s who chose to allow WL to stay unblocked, getting fired. A whole lot of moaning and anger later, the block probably would have happened anyway.

It sux. But they aren't the bad guys here. (Nor the OMB really; its the core bureaucracy behind all these TLAs that's responsible).
  3. Anonymous Member

Its a very different situation from what fuckwits like this guy are demanding:

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/332-...ent-should-censor-news-about-wikileaks-74863/

But the Library of Congress was established to serve as an information resource for fuckwits like him. Congresscritters are the primary customers, and other citizens are secondary to that. If LOC doesn't follow the mandates that Congress gives them, they aren't doing their job. If they flagrantly break the laws that Congress lays out for them, they're a piss-poor excuse for a "Library of Congress".

Balancing that with the old rag that Congress (and the whole damn ratpile of our government) is based on, can be difficult :/ I applaud them for standing their ground on those battles they choose. I just wish they'd pick more battles and win them.
  4. Consensus Member

That's fine; they can have their own policies.

But so long as their policies are out of line with the ALA, they should not be members.
  5. Anonymous Member

I could only find one section about membership in their bylaws. I didn't find anything about the library bill of rights in the bylaws but I didn't read them very carefully. It doesn't appear that the Library Bill of Rights violations are reasons to dismiss them from the association.

ALA | Constitution
  6. Anonymous Member

I went to the Library of Congress when I was in DC for the Rally to Restore Sanity. Interestingly, I saw no congressmen there. No senators at the Senate reflecting pool either. Hmmm....
  7. Anonymous Member

actually they have more on membership than I thought but I still don't see reasons for dismissing them other than for non payment of dues.

ALA | Constitution