Customize

Want to be a WWP Moderator ?

Discussion in 'Support Questions' started by sue, May 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous Member

Re: Want to be a WWP Moderator ?

you mad
  2. auchraw Member

You mean they can penetrate my disguise???!!LLii O gee I never thought of that!

But who cares who I am? Who cares who anyone is? Why do 90 per cent of people post anonymously?
  3. Pikachu Member

BECAUSE IT'S THE INTERNET
  4. Anonymous Member

Stop kissing mod ass.

If this happens (shudders), can the mods also install some sort of limit to the number of posts per thread a mod can make? PLEASE.
  5. Re: Want to be a WWP Moderator ?

I second the nomination. Priesty Jesus-Face for Mod! Please?

On another note. WHY must the word DERP give me giggle fits? Someone explain.
  6. pooks Member

you're right. I didn't think of that. Oh well, if I start getting any infractions ( I haven't rec'd
    any in months, I'll just blame Mary. ;-P
  7. Anonymous Member

Well no but why? I mean, I assumed that everything on New Caprica goes well. Doesn't it?
  8. AnonymousNow Member

I think the connection is apparent to anyone who thought about it.

Thankfully, he is now required to play by the rules we all must play by, despite his "connections."
  9. AnonymousNow Member

I second the motion. Whether he likes it or not.
  10. themadhair Member

I've asked before why he was de-modded. I was given an answer but I can;t remember what hat was.
  11. Biden Member

was it cocks? I bet it was cocks
  12. themadhair Member

Haven't you got some sort of speech to make a gaff at?
  13. Biden Member

no :(
  14. Anonymous Member

Application sent.

Can't wait to infract all of you morons.
  15. Re: Want to be a WWP Moderator ?

I actually considered applying, for about 15 seconds... I would probably ban 80% of all newbies, since they're almost all OSA anyways. So are most of the regulars and some of the moderators. I'm even OSA! I would ban myself! God is also OSA now - the clams overheard one or two of His o/w's. Now He's an Op. I'm new here anyways, mostly living over at ESMB.

I think certain candidates should be selected, from their pm applications or if they haven't, but request from WWP. Then everyone can vote, anonymously. Newbies count for 1/4 of a vote. Regulars as 1 vote. Long timers and active Anons should have 2 votes (or more) as their vote has more potential for accuracy and accountability.

2¢ from an X.
  16. Biden Member

fix'd
  17. Azazel Member

I am Pro Life! Pro No Sex Before Marriage! We should segregate the blacks and whites! Inter-racial marriage should be banned along with those homosexual things involving sodomy! All boys should wear belts protecting our daughters from the third leg of SATAN!

Praise Jesus

What are you going to do about it?
  18. Biden Member

he'll probably just make a really crappy callout thread in the dome
  19. Smurf Member

Write to Sarah Palin and ask her if she has a bastard son that she's been keeping a deep, dark sekret?
  20. Biden Member

azazel is sarah palin
  21. Anonymous Member

Has anyone actually applied ?
  22. Anon3Mouse Member

And yet I notice you do not dispute my assertion that the community is fucking retarded.

Honestly sue, and I do ask this in all seriousness, what's the point of hiring new mods if they won't actually moderate the community? Look at the shitposting from isupeonedDavidmiscaviage in this thread alone. That guy is a perpetual shitposting engine, who not only fails to grok that content of posts > number of posts or who posted, but he doesn't even seem to want to learn. He's content to be a shitposter, because he's not been properly moderated into recognizing his bad behavior.

Every time Herro posted, these lame fucking exes would come out of the woodwork, not to debate whatever point he was trying to make, but to honestly accuse him of being OSA, with little to no infractions or bans going their way.

Enough tinfoil has been deployed on these boards to create a small aluminum planet, and the same mongoloids continue to drag the forums into the OCMB vortex of Suck with no fear of being stopped, because no one ever fucking stops them.

The assholes posting Marty threads are either looking to start drama, or if they claim they don't realize that any Marty Rathburn thread is going to turn into a hurricane of fail, they're just too stupid to be allowed to post outside of YSOSRS/Dome.

So unless the new mods are going to actually start moderating content, what's the point? To continue this slow, steady decline that will end with the community becoming a cancerous, digital version of Typhoid Mary?
  23. Anonymous Member

fwiw, I more or less agree with this.
  24. Crappy Member

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  25. Azazel Member

Now you Definitely Need to Apply!
  26. sue Administrator

You seem to be an intelligent individual, i hope you understand that i can not in the position i am answer to a rather inflammatory assertion with : you are right the community is retarded, nor that i can refute it. Such statements would besides a personal opinion be an open door for those wishing to if at all possible further divide the community; "see sue says this about the community, and by that he referring to you, now go away".

Since you made the effort of raising this issue in a more argumentative manner i'll address your concern hopefully to your satisfaction. If not, i invite you to further discuss this in this thread.

I do not believe the community as a whole is retarded. Yes there are individuals whom are unquestionably stupid, naive or purposefully posting uninformative, unintelligible, derailing content -- and i agree that that to many is considered to be a problem, which occasionally leads to people leaving in disgust. I believe that part of this behavior is to blame on misguided beliefs on how to "fit in" with the rest of the community, for example : being rude, inappropriate is mandatory to fit in with the anon crowd. Decency and a sense of reflection are not to be shown or expressed etc. I believe that we have reached a point where such beliefs perpetuate themselves through the behavior of a few yet frequent posters.

It is intrinsically hard to explain this without getting resentful comments that:
    that is an attempt at defining anonymous
    that it is against the anonymous credo
    that is an attempt at stomping forum users right to express themselves the way that they feel like it.

The baffling thing about the above is that when you think of it, many submit to this form of peer pressure without caring much about it or even realizing it, yet when someone attempts to explain it, that individual is a manipulative evil and hellbent control freak.

The thing is, that otherwise interesting individuals to argue / debate or discuss things with, adopt such behavior. Banning people for "being stupid" is the easy option, warning them repeatedly has so far had a higher success rate, but what really might be necessary is more discussion and for some a wake up call, i have currently no idea how to get there.

The volume of such posts is at this time too high, people are reluctant to report such posts. Mods also have to walk an incredibly thin line when moderating, being called out to be humorless at every occasion a poop joke got domed.

Which is one of the reasons why applicants are encouraged to submit links to three random posts they consider to be both of an informative or undesired nature. This will hopefully give us a clearer idea of what the community wants.

Herro has become a beast of its own, i dare say herro has become a meme, i fully agree that in general the content of his comments were entirely disregarded in favor of "herro post = bad". I do not say that Herro is never wrong, and never provocative, but he at times had a point. Often, i must admit the points he raised were likely an uncomfortable truth to some, so the easy solution of "shooting the messenger" is what we could witness. I find it unfortunate that you feel mods have taken sides.

Regarding the increasingly speculative nature of some of the threads and posts that are being submitted such as : This individual is a Scientologist because he used a word that is in the dictionary but also has been used by L.Ron Hubbard, or : This individual is pro Scientology because they blog about a product that could be related to Scientology.

I believe there are various reasons for why the speculation is increasing.

1. We already have uncovered a lot of information about the cult, and it is getting harder to find new information. To keep the satisfaction of uncovering cult activities, some people resort to speculation, and or make things up.
    2. Individuals that want to take away the credibility of real information that has been made available, speculate and submit erroneous information to make us all look like narrow minded fanatics that will believe anything as long as it sheds a negative light on Scientology.
    As you can likely tell point 1 is harder to resolve as point 2, point 1 being stimulated by the subconscious of individuals, I do not have an explicit source to back this claim,and if it is not convincing; read a little about psychology you'll find it to be true.

I might agree depending on the nature of the subject and not purely because it involves Rathburn, some threads are indeed irrelevant to most interests, some others are. This too is a thin line to draw.

I and the other mods do not have the intention to "poison" the community. I think you should at least feel relieved that we are trying to solve certain problems, and doing so the best we can with the resources we have.

I'd add another few paragraphs of polite closure and invitation to debate but i think this post is turning out to be a little long already, if you have more concerns, comments, ideas. Anything really, i'll happily read / respond to them.
  27. Anonymous Member

wat
  28. Anonymous Member

I have an IQ of 167 - what kind of retard does that make me?
  29. Ann Herro Member

What is the pay, and can we claim overtime?
  30. Ann O'Nymous Member

Join Date 11-13-2009
    Total Posts 4
  31. Anonymous Member

The flashing banner you clicked before sending the test results to 5 people on facebook doesn't count.
  32. Anonymous Member

33. Anonymous Member

I would suggest that moderation is going to be your best bet here. Warnings and infractions make users feel like they're being singled out, or persecuted by nazi mods. What should take place is more obvious more active more public moderation. Mods should be calmly posting in threads to keep discussion rational. Not to voice opinions, but to act as a referee between the forces of rational critical thought and moonbat kneejerk derailing forces.

Moderation needs to be more obvious. I would like to see infractions be very obvious in threads. Both the point value and the reason should be stated where everybody can see it in the thread the post occurred in. If people don't see examples of what kind of thing is frowned upon it's difficult to expect them not to do it. It would also be nice to get a notification if one of your posts gets domed and why.

Having Herro in the fray usually meant that any discussion he was involved with at least something besides an internet circle jerk. Despite the fact that Herro's ego prevents him from making his points in any manner besides using them as a bludgeon, the community suffers from not having his input. It seems to me that he did more to curtail moonbattery than the mods are currently doing. He provoked discussion and independent thought, even if it came in the form of heated argument and insults.

I think moderators need to fill more of this roll. Not by bombastically gushing their opinions at every possible opportunity, but by gently prodding discussions out from under their tinfoil wrappers.

I think your take of the situation is very accurate.

The whole culture of this community needs to change away from a tinfoily echo chamber to a place where real rational discussion can take place. Mods need to help change the tone of discussion to a place where people can feel free to express opinions that differ from the hivemind. Right now if you post anything less than 100% anti-scientology rhetoric, you get labeled as an infiltrator and it's extremely annoying. It stifles any productive discussion and it turns rational and intelligent users away and discourages them from posting.

If we want Chanology to be taken seriously, WWP needs to be a place where serious discussion can take place, and right now it could be a lot better.
  34. AnonKat Member

To much words. just Keep Chanology Working
  35. Anonymous Member

sue, you wanted an example of a disturbing post? Here you go.
  36. Goosh Goosh Member

no

azazel is bristol palin
  37. Anonymous Member

No. Azazel is TRIG PALIN.
  38. AnonKat Member

[IMG]
  39. Anonymous Member

I'd apply, but I'm far too lazy and I've been a hidefag for a year or so.

"Despite the fact that Herro's ego prevents him from making his points in any manner besides using them as a bludgeon, the community suffers from not having his input."

No, really no. There are better ways of curtailing moonbattery than modnewton.

P.S. Thanks for the fake Palin - I'm a sucker for milfage!
  40. Anonymous Member

this, and even though i'm a hypocrite for saying it, constantly flaming/putting others down is counter-productive and drives people away. besides the true, chonic moonbats who actually deserve it (magoo is a perfect example), most of the tinfoilfags tend to be newfags. at this critical point in the campaign, can we really afford to alienate every possible new person who wants to help the cause just for making the same mistake we all made in the early days of chanology?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.