Customize

Video General Discussion (all threads without videos will be moved here)

Discussion in 'Videos' started by Unregistered, Jun 21, 2009.

1. From Her Name was 'Neda' - Kathy Riordan - Open Salon

Her name was Neda.

Earlier this afternoon, doing the same thing I've done every day this week, scanning thousands and thousands of tweets coming out of Iran for those I thought needed to be tossed back out into the universe for wider viewing, a particular tweet caught my eye.

Someone was trying to get the attention of CNN with a video, a video of violence in Iran, not so unusual the last few days, but noteworthy because this one contained images of the last moments of a young girl's life, and people rushing to her side to help her.

She'd been shot in the street in Tehran. 19:05 June 20th. Karekar Avenue, at the corner crossing Khosravi Street and Salehi Street.

She was there with her father, standing next to him, watching the protests, when she was shot directly in the heart by someone hiding on the rooftop of a nearby home, a Basij. The bullet shattered her heart and took her life almost instantly, despite the efforts of a friend of the video poster, a doctor, who had rushed to her side.

I contacted the person who was trying to get the video wider viewing, hoping to get the attention of CNN, the BBC, and anyone else who had eyes to see, ears to hear, and a voice loud enough to convince the world. I gave him the names of people to contact at CNN, and sent the word out to as many other outlets as I could hoping someone would pick it up, show it more widely to the world. He worked feverishly to do the same.

I wondered how this horror could be happening, how a life could be extinguished so casually, even though I've been remotely part of it, witnessing it in the retweeting all week. Tweeting, and retweeting. Watching the civil unrest, protest and violence unfold, despite attempts by the Iranian government to suppress coverage of it.

It is hard to watch. But in the comfort of my home it is a world away from the fight for a voice, and now, for life itself, on the streets of Iran.

I went on with my own life today, after reading thousands of tweets on the #iranelection stream, and came back this evening to see that CNN was featuring the video. It had gone around the world.

Her name was Neda. A voice, a call. We know that now. Not a nameless face, lost in a senseless shooting in a street torn halfway around the world. She was an innocent, and she will be forever mourned. She will become the face of a revolution.

Neda. May the God of all of us take you to his rest.

Also from Huffington Post, by way of Twitter

8:53 PM ET -- "Sister, have a short sleep, your last dream be sweet." Yesterday we printed a touching letter from an Iranian woman that began with these ominous lines: "I will participate in the demonstrations tomorrow. Maybe they will turn violent. Maybe I will be one of the people who is going to get killed..."

Tonight, she posted a second letter, passed along and translated by two readers. She writes about her "sister" in this cause who was killed today, referring to Neda.

Yesterday I wrote a note, with the subject line "tomorrow is a great day perhaps tomorrow I'll be killed." I'm here to let you know I'm alive but my sister was killed...

I'm here to tell you my sister died while in her father's hands
    I'm here to tell you my sister had big dreams...
    I'm here to tell you my sister who died was a decent person... and like me yearned for a day when her hair would be swept by the wind... and like me read "Forough" [Forough Farrokhzad]... and longed to live free and equal... and she longed to hold her head up and announce, "I'm Iranian"... and she longed to one day fall in love to a man with a shaggy hair... and she longed for a daughter to braid her hair and sing lullaby by her crib...

my sister died from not having life... my sister died as injustice has no end... my sister died since she loved life too much... and my sister died since she lovingly cared for people...

my loving sister, I wish you had closed your eyes when your time had come... the very end of your last glance burns my soul....

sister have a short sleep. your last dream be sweet.

7:57 PM ET -- Neda. That appears to be the name of the woman whose death in the streets today was captured on film, and has been broadcast around the world. I posted it earlier at 2:57 PM.

From Twitter, via Chas: "Her name was ندا (#Neda), which means voice or call in Farsi. She is the voice of the people, a call to freedom - RIP, Neda"
  2. حمید Member

یک بار دیگر سردمدار سلطنت اسلامی با اعتراف به آبروی اندکش تمساحگانه عذر مسؤلییت خواست تا در سراب یئس فلسفی خویش را با سزا دوا کند. ضحاک زمان امام وار در جسم سید علی خامنئ شرب سراب را در کالبد آرتميز کورش آتوسا کمبوجيه آرتادخت داريوش يوتاب خشايار آزرمی دخت اردشير آذر آناهيد کاوه پرين فریدون کاساندان ... ایران میجوید.
  3. spazzle Member

When I saw the video, I thought that was probably her that posted this: (it may as well been her)

Blog Post from Iran:

“I will participate in the demonstrations tomorrow. Maybe they will turn violent. Maybe I will be one of the people who is going to get killed. I’m listening to all my favorite music. I even want to dance to a few songs. I always wanted to have very narrow eyebrows. Yes, maybe I will go to the salon before I go tomorrow! There are a few great movie scenes that I also have to see. I should drop by the library, too. It’s worth to read the poems of Forough and Shamloo again. All family pictures have to be reviewed, too. I have to call my friends as well to say goodbye. All I have are two bookshelves which I told my family who should receive them. I’m two units away from getting my bachelors degree but who cares about that. My mind is very chaotic. I wrote these random sentences for the next generation so they know we were not just emotional and under peer pressure. So they know that we did everything we could to create a better future for them. So they know that our ancestors surrendered to Arabs and Mongols but did not surrender to despotism. This note is dedicated to tomorrow’s children…”

Translated by NIAC
  4. ....

---r.i.p neda---
  5. Who censores videos?

Hi guys, i'm italian, sorry if don't speak english very well but i'm studing it.
    So, i've a question, while seeing videos about iran's stories of these days, someone are censored, so, who censore videos of youtube?
    ambassy? iranin government? medias?
    and i want ti say:
    Rise up Iran!
    Say no to tyranny!
    iranians are very gorageus...nice people ;)
  6. I Ran Hubbard Member

Gore and graphic stuff like people dying is against YouTube's policies. They remove them.
  7. Advorec Member

Keep in mind that a few of us are archiving all material as soon as it is posted - deleting it from YouTube does not equal lost evidence.

The method of YouTube is an acceptable and rather anonymous way of handing over evidence, do not stop posting there, even when they get censored all the time.

Now, so far I have had no problem with access to any material while logged in, it could be that they censor it only from non registred users as an added age check?

Keep the evidence coming, for sleepy bean bags it is a wake up call and in the aftermath an important factor to set things right.

Advorec
  8. To see most of the uncensored media from Iran, go to liveleak.com
    Front page is full of videos from there.
    Keep on fighting the good fight.
  9. i live u neda....

i am so ashamed of myself, sitting in the comfort of my home, knowing that i would never be as brave as the iraninan people ..

Neda, oh neda .. how i wish i had the strength to be next to in your last moments of life .. how i wish i was holding your hand .. how i wish it was me, the coward, who got shot and not you .

rest in peace Neda

10. i feel the same way
  11. Sol Mann Member

here it is.
  12. I urge everyone posting Videos and pictures to make the faces of combatants and protestors unrecognisable to help protecting their identity. Can someone provide a guide and some tipps on available programms to make this possible on Videos?

Greetings, 3of5
  13. skollie-IRAN Member

Picasa 3: Free download from Google

http://www.gimp.org/

You'll find tutorials on youtube
  14. حمید Member

15. حمید Member