Customize

Video editors & youtubers, Halp!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by sock, Dec 11, 2009.

1. sock Member

Video editors & youtubers, Halp!

After being sick for several days and currently going stir crazy, I thought I'd try to do something relatively productive, which is create a bunch of chanology/anon themed video animations, graphics and titling sequences for people to use in their videos.

The general goal is to give video editors pre-made video animations to work with and make their vids look more dynamic. As well as encourage people new to video editing to try their hand at creating anon/chanology content.

The video files would include, for example, short animated titling sequences with relevant website urls that people can put at the end of their videos. Or if someone wants to upload an audio file to youtube, instead of using a still image, they can use a pre-made video animation.

The main thing I want to know is what are the most useful file formats for video editors to work with? Preferably file formats/codecs that are WMM/Vegas/Premier/youtube friendly, not too large, and of reasonable video quality.

I usually do all my editing through AE so I'm not overly familiar with other video editing programs. But I noticed that WMM doesn't accept mp4 or .mov files. Also some editing programs (and youtube) seem to have a problem with avi files using Divx/Xvid compression.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for the type of video animations they want, let me know *inb4 animated fleet of dong copters.*
  2. _You_ Member

Re: Video editors & youtubers, Halp!

Adobe flash has some easy to use features if you want to do stuff like that, and you can export to video. Be warned files may come out fucking huge. Unless they added compressions upport, it's been years.
  3. sock Member

I'm using AE and there are various compression options. But I want to create video files that are accepted by most editing programs (and not too large) so people can easily incorporate them in their video projects, some editing programs don't accept certain codecs. I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on the best file formats to use.
  4. WMAnon Member

I use premiere, so whatever works with that, and quality > small file size any day. I like being able to export 1080p

Boston is in need of an opening animation for our megaraid promos, if you're up to the task. I'll see if I can dig up the original vector for our blue regional anon flag.
  5. anon0004 Member

maybe you schould create an entirely new logo, that is not bound to your usual falg thingy, to give the megaraid an own CI...

just saying

I also prefer 1080p, but somtimes 720p works better when file size matter.
    but these two are definitely the formats we should go for.

30 pics per second would also be nice, most of my camera equipment runs on that.

I also have some AE expreience, If you want to outsource stuff, I´d be of service.
  6. sock Member

Yeah, I agree. But I'd like to keep them well under 500mb so people can download them easily without killing their bandwidth. A short animation video file uncompressed is often over 1 gig. I was thinking of rendering them in either 1080p or 720.

Sure, let me know the sort of thing you're after and I'll give it a shot.
  7. sock Member

You guys produced some great looking stuff for the Hamburg raid.
  8. WagTheWog Member

Thoughts:

1 - Standard Definition video (SD) aspect is 720 x 486 (or 720 x 480 for DV), so it will make things easier for those making stuff in SD to have graphics and QuickTime files in that aspect ratio.

2 - HD (at it's largest size) is 1920 x 1080. If everyone makes their gfx at this size, then they can be easily used in *any* HD project since they are all the same aspect ratio (16 x9).

3 - About Codecs for video: My suggestion is make them QuickTime in the "Animation" codec. This is uncompressed as well as being a "flavor" that is available to everyone. Yes, the files will be larger, but since these will be short pieces (2 to 8 seconds), that shouldn't be too big an issue. An alternate would be to use H.264. It's smaller, looks good, and anyone using recent versions of QuickTime will be able to play it. All the major editing apps can use QT in one way or another.

4 - About still GFX: I suggest .png files. They have good compression and support an Alpha Channel (a.k.a. Transparency). Creators could include in their download an unmerged Photoshop file if there are layers -- And could also include each layer as a separate .png file for those who don't have photoshop. I'm not familiar with the *FREE* (open source) program called "The Gimp". Can it open Photoshop files? (I don't have the time at the moment to go look at the GIMP site, sorry).

This is a good idea, so I'll be looking for suggestions. This is a perfect way to learn more about After Effects and help fight Scn at the same time. Peeeeerfect!

- WTW
  9. _You_ Member

Where's that 3D anon globe intro thingamaboob?
  10. _You_ Member

I would suggest rendering things out to H.264 Quicktime, HD. (1920x1080)
  11. sock Member

Thanks, I was thinking of Quicktime, the only problem with the animation codec is that although the video is high quality, you're still left with a huge file. I'll also have to render them in avi or wmv so they're compatible with WMM.
  12. anon0004 Member

although proprietary and not open, wmv does a pretty good job in adobe tools and WMM.

I am testing linux tools right nao ... lets see
  13. _You_ Member

I've had bad experiences with linux video editing tools. I tried Lives Video Editor, Cinelerra, and Avidemux. Ended up installing a virtual windoze using virtualbox and sticking to windoze movie maker. I'm about to play with Adobe Premiere, would like to dump the WMV format forever.

Just sayin'
  14. _You_ Member

Upload the clips to Youtube and they can be easily downloaded, no worries about size and quality is good enough for most applications.
  15. sock Member

Thanks for the tips, I'll see if H.264 Quicktime, 1920x1080 works out. I'll probably also render in wmv format for the WMM users.
  16. WagTheWog Member

I know that money is an issue for all of us, but whoever can pull off the student angle can get Avid for only $295 (!). Check JourneyEd.com and Studica.com. I also heard that the student buyers get free upgrades for 3 or 4 YEARS after they buy Avid. Crazy!

Oh, not a student? I bet you have a friend or someone in the family who is that could buy it for you. And, same goes for Adobe stuff like Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere, etc. You can get student prices at those sites I listed.
  17. _You_ Member

Also, sometimes you can get academic licenses if you work at an educational institution...
  18. sock Member

I will put them up on youtube but I also want to have the original files available for download so there's no loss in video quality.
  19. WagTheWog Member

You can do this on Blip.tv for sure. After you upload you can provide people with links to the .flv file and the original QuickTime file (or whatever kind you uploaded).
  20. Re: Video editors & youtubers, Halp!

I use FCE, soooo..... anything that works for that I guess?

/totally n00bish when it comes to techno-babble
  21. Zhent Member

Basic MPEG2 for video, that should be pretty interoperable right?
    Try a quality setting of 80% or something so file is not so massive, but quality still awesome.

I would vote h/x264 because its the best and all, but I'm not sure my Vegas setup would take it. (its probably too awesome for other programs as well)

If your doing static graphics use png and svg if possible.
  22. sock Member

It may be too high a compression rate for most editing programs. I may have to try a different format.

Here's a short animated clip in .mov H.264, if anyone has Premier or Vegas installed could they check if this file exports okay? :

Clip_anongoldlogo.mov
  23. Zhent Member

Nice, It did actually work fine in my Vegas setup.

...Possibly because I had already installed QT-alternative as thats all my vidcam uses.
  24. sock Member

Thanks for that, Zhent. I might also make them available in mpeg2 or a smaller uncompressed format.
  25. WagTheWog Member

Anonymous / WhyWeProtest.net
    animated graphics for use in your videos.

Notes & Tips:

- Both Standard Definition (SD) & High Definition (HD) versions are below.

- Two QuickTime file compressions are available for download where possible. The bigger files are much less compressed, and the smaller files are H.264 compression.

- The versions with the "Black Clouds Background" have 20 frames at the beginning for fading-up or dissolving into.

- You should be able to use the SD versions with "Transparent Background" (a.k.a. "alpha channel") in your HD projects too.

- The versions with "Transparent Backgrounds" loop seamlessly when edited back to back.

- The versions with "Transparent Backgrounds" can be used in a reduced size and placed in the bottom left or right corner of your video. If you do that, you'll want to crop out the junk that will show around the edges when the size is reduced.

Standard Definition (SD) NTSC videos:
    - 29.97 fps
    - 720 x 486

Version 1
    Anonymous Man with "Black Clouds Background":
    1zxwmsh.png
    - View Here = Anonymous Man / WhyWeProtest.net
    - Download Highest Quality QuickTime File (450 MB) =
    http://blip.tv/file/get/WagTheWog-AnonymousManWhyWeProtestcomNoFadeUp352.mov
    - Download Compressed H.264 QuickTime File (14 MB) =
    http://blip.tv/file/get/WagTheWog-H264ANONMAN_720x486581.mov

Version 2
    Anonymous Woman with "Black Clouds Background":
    b84e2q.png
    - View Here = Anonymous Woman / WhyWeProtest.net
    - Download Highest Quality QuickTime File (238 MB) =
    http://blip.tv/file/get/WagTheWog-AnonymousWhyWeProtestnetAnonWoman260.mov
    - Download Compressed H.264 QuickTime File (16 MB) =
    http://blip.tv/file/get/WagTheWog-H264ANONWOMAN_720x486740.mov

Version 3
    Anonymous Man with "Transparent Background" (a.k.a. "alpha channel"):
    o6mn87.png
    - View Here = Anonymous Man / WhyWeProtest.net with Transparent Background
    - Download PNG Compression QuickTime File (197 MB) =
    http://blip.tv/file/get/WagTheWog-PNGANONMAN_withalpha_720x486385.mov

Version 4
    Anonymous Woman with "Transparent Background" (a.k.a. "alpha channel"):
    264tkbk.png
    - View Here = Anonymous Woman / WhyWeProtest.net with Transparent Background
    - Download PNG Compression QuickTime File (225 MB) = http://blip.tv/file/get/WagTheWog-PNGANONWOMAN_withalpha_720x486940.mov

High Definition (HD) NTSC videos:
    - 29.97 fps
    - 1280 x 720

Version 1
    Anonymous Man with "Black Clouds Background":
    2ywwtau.png
    - View Here = HD Anon-Man
    - Download Highest Quality QuickTime File (356 MB) =
    http://blip.tv/file/get/WagTheWog-HDAnonMan989.mov
    - Download Compressed H.264 QuickTime File (26 MB) = http://blip.tv/file/get/WagTheWog-HDH264AnonMan240.mov

Version 2
    Anonymous Woman with "Black Clouds Background":
    5yvia1.png
    - View Here = HD Anon-Woman
    - Download Highest Quality QuickTime File (400 MB) = http://blip.tv/file/get/WagTheWog-HDAnonWoman789.mov
    - Download Compressed H.264 QuickTime File (30 MB) =
    http://blip.tv/file/get/WagTheWog-HDH264AnonWoman124.mov
  26. _You_ Member

I know it took a lot of work to do these, so great job!

You should post some screen caps of what each logo looks like in this thread.
  27. tamphex Member

Much appreciated, WTW.
  28. WagTheWog Member

Good idea is good.

Done. And done.

Thx "You"
  29. sock Member

Those look awesome, I should be able to get the ones I've currently got in the works uploaded this week.
  30. theLastAnon Member

Thanks for making these WTW...I have a new vid I'm working on and this fits perfectly for what I needed.

Sock -- looking foward to yours also. You guys with real skills are much appreciated by us mash-up makers...:)
  31. WagTheWog Member

As requested...

Video examples posted below.

Download info for these videos is
    [at this link]

32. Shinythings Member

wow win!
  33. RightOn Member

wealy nize
  34. WagTheWog Member

Latest Additions

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9brl-e0i1wg"]YouTube- Jiffy Pop Popcorn #2 of 2 -- WhyWeProtest.net[/ame]

You can view & download the original QuickTime files at the links below:

Jiffy Pop Popcorn/WWP.net - Anon-Man on Side (28MB):
    http://blip.tv/file/get/WagTheWog-JiffyPopPopcorn1Of2WhyWeProtestnet216.mov

Jiffy Pop Popcorn/WWP.net - Anon-Man on Bottom (28MB):
    http://blip.tv/file/get/WagTheWog-JiffyPopPopcorn2Of2WhyWeProtestnet591.mov

More Anon/WWP.net animations at the link in my Sig below: