Customize

VICE: 3,500 Cops Who Want All Drugs to Be Legal

Discussion in 'Think Tank' started by The Wrong Guy, Jun 9, 2013.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

Despite Police Fear Mongering, California Deals Blow to Drug War and Prison Industrial Complex

By Matt Agorist, The Free Thought Project

The citizens of California let the establishment know how they felt about the drug war and mass incarceration Tuesday in a landmark vote.

With the passage of Proposition 47 as many as 10,000 people could be eligible for early release from state prisons. It is also expected that local courts will dispense 40,000 fewer felony convictions each year.

This is a move that is sure to have the uniformed shaking in their boots. “Oh no, criminals will be getting out of jail!” However, Prop 47 will not be putting murderers and rapists back on the street.

The ballot measure simply downgrades the victimless crime of drug possession to a misdemeanor. It also downgrades other various nonviolent crimes as well.

According to the Huffington Post, Proposition 47 has led in every poll conducted since it was certified in June. The measure’s supporters have been an eclectic bunch, from conservatives like Newt Gingrich and business tycoon B. Wayne Hughes Jr. to liberal performers like John Legend and Jay-Z.

Predictably, the most outspoken opponents of Proposition 47 have been law enforcement officials. The fear mongering started almost as soon as the ballot measure did with opponents stating that, “Proposition 47 is a dangerous and radical package of ill-conceived policies wrapped in a poorly drafted initiative, which will endanger Californians.”

Law enforcement officials tried to convince the citizens of California that Proposition 47 will lead to mass rapes and gun thefts, but this is simply not true. Several members of law enforcement actually came out in support of Proposition 47 and dismissed those concerns.

Continued here:
    http://thefreethoughtproject.com/po...eals-blow-drug-war-prison-industrial-complex/
    • Like Like x 2
  2. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hugh Bris Member

If it is 'victimless' then it is NOT a crime at all.
  4. rof Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. Andy Downs Member

There is a big difference between criminal law and natural law.
  7. The Wrong Guy Member

DEA Agent Speaks Out: We Were Told Not to Enforce Drug Laws In Rich Communities

By John Vibes, The Free Thought Project

“‘You know, if we go out there and start messing with those folks, they know judges, they know lawyers, they know politicians. You start locking their kids up; somebody’s going to jerk our chain.’ He said, ‘they’re going to call us on it, and before you know it, they’re going to shut us down, and there goes your overtime.'”

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/dea-agent-drug-laws-intentionally-rich-communities/
    • Like Like x 3
  8. The Wrong Guy Member

Michele Leonhart, Top D.E.A. Official, Is Expected to Resign | New York Times

The Obama administration’s top drug enforcement official is expected to resign soon, a senior administration official said on Tuesday, after her agency’s reputation was tarnished by a scandal over sex parties with prostitutes and she broke with President Obama on drug policy.

Michele M. Leonhart, the administrator of the Drug Enforcement Administration, will step down within days, the official said, ending a five-year tenure that has been marred by accusations of mismanagement. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity in divulging the planned resignation in advance of an announcement.

Officials at the White House, the Justice Department and the D.E.A. all declined to comment.

Ms. Leonhart’s expected departure follows a hearing last week in which lawmakers on the House Oversight Committee expressed outrage about her handling of reports that D.E.A. agents stationed in Colombia participated in sex parties with prostitutes paid for by drug cartels.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/22/us/michele-leonhart-top-dea-official-is-expected-to-resign.html
    • Like Like x 2
  9. The Wrong Guy Member

Federal Judge Admits Drug War Is Tearing The Country Apart, Regrets 80% Of Rulings

Former Federal Judge Nancy Gertner recently spoke at the Aspen Ideas Festival about the damage that she saw the drug war inflict on people during her time working in the system. Gertner spent 17 years as a federal judge, and she now regrets a vast majority of the decisions that she made while she was in power.

“80 percent I believe were unfair and disproportionate. I left the bench in 2011 to join the Harvard faculty to write about those stories –– to write about how it came to pass that I was obliged to sentence people to terms that, frankly, made no sense under any philosophy,” Gertner said.

Continued here:
    http://thefreethoughtproject.com/fe...war-tearing-country-apart-regrets-80-rulings/
    • Like Like x 2
  10. The Wrong Guy Member

Why 80 Percent Of Mexicans Don't Believe The Official Story On El Chapo's Escape

By Beenish Ahmed, ThinkProgress, August 7, 2015

Many in Mexico were surprised when authorities managed to arrest one of the country’s most notorious drug kingpins after years of trying. That surprise slipped into shock with news that Joaquin Gusman Loera managed to escape from the most secure wing of the country’s most secure prison. The story drew even more consternation because Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto had said it would be “unforgiveable” if Guzman, or El Chapo as he is called, escaped prison again as he did during a previous arrest in 2001.

“It’s unbelievable, but in Mexico, anything can happen,” a man who lives close to the prison told the Washington Post. “They snatched him right out of there.”

Government officials have placed the blame for the Guzman’s escape on prison guards, seven of whom have been arrested in relation to his disappearance. Many Mexicans, however, think there’s more to the story than a few accommodating prison guards. The government’s recent failings on combating and investigating crimes has led many to believe that it isn’t just unable to fight off its powerful drug cartels, but rather that it’s unwilling to do so.

Of 1000 people surveyed by the Mexican newspaper El Universal, 80 percent did not believe the government’s account of Guzman’s escape.

Many have put forth their own ideas about what they believe actually happened. Some have said that Guzman walked out of the front door and others that was never even sent to prison. A lot of the theories point to some level of government collusion with a mob boss.

The government’s release of surveillance footage that shows Guzman slipping through a hole in the floor of his cell and disappearing in a matter of seconds has only added to the public skepticism.

After looking documents she obtained from an ongoing investigation into the matter, Anabel Hernandez, an investigative reporter with the Mexican magazine Proceso, said that the story just doesn’t add up.

Hernandez told CNN that no action was taken despite signs that an escape might be in the works. She said that authorities were aware that Guzman’s people were on the hunt for blueprints of the prison and that prisoners had complained about noise that sounded like construction weeks before the escape.

She also noted that the footage did not include audio. Had it done so, she said the sounds of metal banging against concrete would have been clear along with sirens which she said only turned on about 45 minutes after Guzman slipped away.

“Now these documents show that that wasn’t true, that the government hid the audio of that video because, of course, the audio of that video proves that the government has enough information minutes before the escape and didn’t want to stop El Chapo,” Hernandez said.

Many have expressed shock that the government failed to better monitor Guzman given that one of the top figures in his Sinaloa cartel made a similar escape through a tunnel beneath a different prison just over a year ago.

“The government wants to sell us a tale in which no one knew about the tunnel and he got away,” Carlos Castanos, an opposition legislator Guzman’s home state told the New York Times. “It’s like they think that Mexicans are all kindergartners and they’re going to believe anything they tell them.” He said the amount of dirt that would have had to have been removed from the mile-long tunnel rendered the possibility of that escape route implausible.

As unlikely as it seems, the tunnel might be the most believable aspect of the story of Guzman’s great escape.
    Sinaloa is known for its creation of “supertunnels” which it uses primarily to move drugs and arms across the Mexican-American border. Officials have discovered more than eighty such tunnels over the last 25 years. Some of them include elevators and most are tall enough for an adult to walk through. Despite this, the government’s story of Guzman’s escape has raised eyebrows.

“No one believes it,” a veteran federal police officer said. “All they do is lie.” That charge from a federal agent evidences just how pervasive the distrust in the country’s government is — and no wonder. Mexico is thought to be one of the most corrupt and least transparent countries in the world. Searching for answers in such a climate can be life-threatening.

Just last week, Ruben Espinosa Becerril, a photographer for Proceso was murdered in an affluent Mexico City neighborhood along with four women, one of whom was a political activist. Becerril had received death threats while working in Veracruz, one of the country’s most dangerous states. After notifying the Committee to Protect Journalists of the threats, he fled to the capital for safety.

Thirty-four journalists have been killed in Mexico since 1992 according to the Committee to Protect Journalists. Most of them covered crime, corruption, and politics.

Continued here:
    http://thinkprogress.org/world/2015/08/07/3688984/el-chapo-conspiracy/
    • Like Like x 1
  11. The Wrong Guy Member

“The War on Drugs is Over, and We Lost.” Meet the Police Chief Who’s Starting a Revolution

By Matt Agorist, The Free Thought Project, August 17, 2015

While cops continue busting down doors of suspected drug users, and killing their dogs, or killing them, Campanello is reaching out his hand. The Gloucester Police Department serves the small town of 30,000 people, and when they experienced their fourth heroin death in three months, Campanello realized that police violence was not the way to deal with the problem.

"The war on drugs is over," Campanello said in an interview. "And we lost. There is no way we can arrest our way out of this. We’ve been trying that for 50 years. We’ve been fighting it for 50 years, and the only thing that has happened is heroin has become cheaper and more people are dying."

Continued here:
    http://thefreethoughtproject.com/the-war-drugs-over-lost-meet-police-chief-starting-revolution/

The Obama Administration's Strategy On Heroin Addiction: Treat It As A Public Health Problem

By Tara Culp-Ressler, ThinkProgress, August 17, 2015

The Obama administration unveiled a new strategy to combat heroin abuse on Monday, pledging $2.5 million in additional funds to target five “high intensity drug trafficking areas.” The plan, which aims to pair law enforcement officials with health experts, is notable for its emphasis on connecting heroin users with treatment rather than focusing on putting them behind bars.

In the 15 states participating in the pilot program, a public health official will coordinate “heroin response teams” and help track the number of overdoses in their region. More first responders will be trained about how to administer naloxone, a drug that can reverse overdoses from heroin and prescription painkillers.

Continued here:
    http://thinkprogress.org/health/2015/08/17/3692244/white-house-heroin-health-treatment/
    • Like Like x 1
  12. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  13. The Wrong Guy Member

The US Is Going to Let Nearly 6,000 Drug Offenders Out of Federal Prison Early | VICE News

The United States plans to free nearly 6,000 prisoners — the largest ever one-time release of federal inmates — in an effort to reduce overcrowding and ease the punishment for drug crimes.

The massive release, announced on Tuesday by the Department of Justice (DOJ), will take place over a four-day period from October 30 to November 2.

"It's a great first step in addressing a very longstanding problem of over incarceration," said Gary Feldon, chair of the American Bar Association's Section on Civil Rights and Social Justice Criminal Justice. "It's indicative of a general mood in the country on both sides of the aisle, where there's real interest in remedying over incarceration."

The releases were set in motion by the US Sentencing Commission, which voted unanimously last year to reduce federal drug sentences by an average of two years. The decision came after nearly two years of public hearings that included testimony from DOJ officials, advocacy groups, and experts.

The lengthy process led to rebalanced federal sentencing guidelines that decrease the weight of drug offenses and encourage early release of prisoners serving long terms for drug-related crimes.

The impact of the new policy could be huge. The approximately 6,000 released prisoners are just the first batch of what is poised to be the nation's largest-ever prison release program. When the commission announced its new "Drugs Minus Two" policy last year, it estimated the changes could result in early releases for as many as 46,000 of the approximately 100,000 drug offenders in federal custody.

The timeline for those releases remains unclear, but Sentencing Commission spokesman Matt Osterrieder said that an additional 8,550 prisoners could become eligible for release within the next year.

Continued here:
    https://news.vice.com/article/the-u...00-drug-offenders-out-of-federal-prison-early
    • Like Like x 1
  14. The Wrong Guy Member

Ohio Cop Suspended Over Marijuana Legalization Pin | Counter Current News

An Ohio police officer was just suspended Monday for wearing a pin on his uniform supporting the legalization of marijuana.

Michael Reinheimer explains that he wore a pin that read “I support legalize 2016” on Saturday morning during an auction of old police and city equipment.

He writes the following:

“I am Captain Michael Reinheimer of the Vermilion Police Department. On Sat. Nov. 7 2015, I was given and wore a button on my uniform jacket to show my support for Legalization in 2016 while I conducted our annual police auction.

“Today I was placed on administrative leave by the Mayor of the City of Vermilion Eileen Bulan (440) 204-2402 specifically for showing my support for legalization by wearing this pin.

“I will find out more later today. Right now your support would be appreciated. I stand tall behind my beliefs and my support is unconditional. Please share with anyone who supports legalization.”

The Cleveland Plain Dealer explains that “Legalize Ohio 2016” is an organization advocating for the legalization of marijuana in Ohio.

Reinheimer explains that a member of the group had given him the pin and he decided to wear it since he supports the legalization of the marijuana plant.

The issue is personal for him. He says that his wife, LuAnne, has epilepsy. Marijuana can alleviate her symptoms, even while prescription medicine does not.

Continued here:
    http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/11/ohio-cop-suspended-legalization-pin/
    • Like Like x 3
  15. A.O.T.F Member

I didn't want to clog up the machinery with another new thread. So, I thought this would be an applicable thread to post this very impressive article by Sean Penn

El Chapo Speaks

A secret visit with the most wanted man in the world

By Sean PennJanuary 9, 2016

Disclosure: Some names have had
 to be changed, locations not named, and an understanding was brokered with the subject that this piece would be submitted for the subject’s approval before publication. The subject did not ask for any changes.

"The laws of conscience, which we pretend to be derived from nature, proceed from custom." —Montaigne

It's September 28th, 2015. My head is swimming, labeling TracPhones (burners), one per contact, one per day, destroy, burn, buy, balancing levels of encryption, mirroring through Blackphones, anonymous e-mail addresses, unsent messages accessed in draft form. It's a clandestine horror show for the single most technologically illiterate man left standing. At 55 years old, I've never learned to use a laptop. Do they still make laptops? No fucking idea! It's 4:00 in the afternoon.

Another gorgeous fall day in New York City. The streets are abuzz with the lights and sirens of diplomatic movement, heads of state, U.N. officials, Secret Service details, the NYPD. It's the week of the U.N. General Assembly. Pope Francis blazed a trail and left town two days before. I'm sitting in my room at the St. Regis Hotel with my colleague and brother in arms, Espinoza.

Espinoza and I have traveled many roads together, but none as unpredictable as the one we are now approaching. Espinoza is the owl who flies among falcons. Whether he's standing in the midst of a slum, a jungle or a battlefield, his idiosyncratic elegance, mischievous smile and self-effacing charm have a way of defusing threat. His bald head demands your attention to his twinkling eyes. He's a man fascinated and engaged. We whisper to each other in code.

Finally a respite from the cyber technology that's been sizzling my brain and soul. We sit within quietude of fortified walls that are old New York hotel construction, when walls were walls, and telephones were usable without a Ph.D. We quietly make our plans, sensitive to the paradox that also in our hotel is President Enrique Peña Nieto of Mexico. Espinoza and I leave the room to get outside the hotel, breathe in the fall air and walk the five blocks to a Japanese restaurant, where we'll meet up with our colleague El Alto Garcia.

As we exit onto 55th Street, the sidewalk is lined with the armored SUVs that will transport the president of Mexico to the General Assembly. Paradoxical indeed, as one among his detail asks if I will take a selfie with him. Flash frame: myself and a six-foot, ear-pieced Mexican security operator.

Flash frame: Why is this a paradox? It's paradoxical because today's Mexico has, in effect, two presidents. And among those two presidents, it is not Peña Nieto who Espinoza and I were planning to see as we'd spoken in whispered code upstairs.

It is not he who necessitated weeks of clandestine planning. Instead, it's a man of about my age, though absent any human calculus that may provide us a sense of anchored commonality. At four years old, in '64, I was digging for imaginary treasures, unneeded, in my parents' middleclass American backyard while he was hand-drawing fantasy pesos that, if real, might be the only path for he and his family to dream beyond peasant farming.

And while I was surfing the waves of Malibu at age nine, he was already working in the marijuana and poppy fields of the remote mountains of Sinaloa, Mexico. Today, he runs the biggest international drug cartel the world has ever known, exceeding even that of Pablo Escobar. He shops and ships by some estimates more than half of all the cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine and marijuana that come into the United States.

16. War on drugs, war on terror, its all the same.

Unwinnable wars lead to infinite war and infinite profits for those who are pulling the strings.

In my opinion people need to be the change they want to see on this planet and value themselves.

Only a fool would allow themselves to be deluded by the ultrarich media/political/corporate coalition.

We are all fools until we stand united together against the ultrarich .01% who have controlled us for millenia.
  17. Ogsonofgroo Member

I disagree, it is all far too complex to make such a broad statement, its 'apples & oranges' really, but there are commonalities involved, even some sort of bizarre cross-circumstances, like consideration that things like the opium trade have fueled various extremist factions of (name yer poison_________), arms makers, and all the fun shit.
    The 'war on drugs'~ It keeps hundreds of thousands of enforcement officers working, keeping it all illegal makes tonnes of money for organized crime syndicates, and paradoxically for the various agencies involved too, none of them wish any sort of legalization. There are many aspects of the 'benefits' all the money generated has, banks are happy, props to the economy via spending (Mercedes and BMW dances), but what I personanally find so sick, is the money wasted in this sick cycle is so wasted, as opposed to funding for education, rehab, and social betterment for all involved in this ugly reality.
    Further considerations, keeping everything illegal probably raises the over-all death-toll of 'undesirable' elements within the societies involved, kind of like, um, 'let it rot to hell'.

Terrorists, and the fighting of this insanity, a whole other thing in my naive opinion, more death, more politics blah-blah. It is all so fucking sick.

The common points? Death, poverty, and suffering.... profits, power, control, and more death.

iya.
  18. I think all drugs can't be legal because loads of people would die. I hate drugs, at the moment I am monitoring a school in Devon England called Okehampton college that has a drug issue.
  19. White Tara Global Moderator

Christ, monitoring a school sounds hella creepy. Please say you have a professional reason to be doing so?
    Please dont reveal information that would identify you if so.
  20. The Wrong Guy Member

DEA Proves Loyalty To Big Pharma, Maintains Cannabis Has ‘No Medicinal Value’

“The DEA’s decision is strictly a political one. There is nothing scientific about willful ignorance.”

By Jay Syrmopoulos, The Free Thought Project, August 11, 2016

Quote:

The federal government has once again revealed itself as nothing more than puppets to the big pharma industry. On Thursday, the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) moved to deny any changes to marijuana under its federal drug schedule, keeping the drug in the most restrictive category for U.S. law enforcement purposes.

For decades the pharmaceutical industry has poured millions into the pockets of corrupt politicians as they lobbied to keep cannabis illegal. As the Free Thought Project reported last month, a new study from the University of Georgia shows exactly why all that money was spent. Legal marijuana destroys big pharma’s profits.

The study examined the costs of Medicare’s prescription drug benefit program in 2013, a year when only 17 states and the District of Columbia had legalized medicinal marijuana. They found that legal pot contributed to a savings of $165.2 million in prescription costs. Researchers at the University of Georgia used those number to determine a savings in the hundreds of millions if all states would legalize medical cannabis.

Now it makes perfect sense why the DEA would maintain this asinine classification.

Under the U.S. Controlled Substances Act of 1970, the cannabis plant and its organic cannabinoids are classified as Schedule I prohibited substances — the most restrictive category available under the law. By definition, substances in this category must meet three specific inclusion criteria:

To be considered a Schedule I substance, the drug must possess “a high potential for abuse”; it must have “no currently accepted medical use” in the United States; and, the substance must lack “accepted safety for use … under medical supervision.”

DEA chief Chuck Rosenberg claims the agency’s decision is rooted in science, and that he gave “enormous weight” to conclusions by the Food and Drug Administration that marijuana has “no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.”

In a statement that flies in the face of reality for thousands of people currently treating a wide range of medical ailments with cannabis and cannabis derivatives, Rosenberg said, “This decision isn’t based on danger. This decision is based on whether marijuana, as determined by the FDA, is a safe and effective medicine,” he said, “and it’s not.”

Continued here:
    https://www.mintpressnews.com/dea-p...maintains-cannabis-no-medicinal-value/219388/
  21. RightOn Member

22. The Wrong Guy Member

'El Chapo' Guzman turned over to US | CNN

Quote:

Drug kingpin Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman, who became a legend in Mexico through his dramatic prison escapes and years of staying just ahead of the law, was extradited Thursday and transported to the United States.

Mexican authorities wanted to turn over Guzman, head of the Sinaloa cartel, before Friday's inauguration of President-elect Donald Trump, a US official told CNN. A court in Mexico City on Thursday denied Guzman's appeal of the extradition.

Guzman was picked up by a team from the Drug Enforcement Administration, Immigration and Customs Enforcement and US marshals. He was being flown Thursday evening to New York.

He faces six separate indictments across the United States. "El Chapo" is expected to appear Friday in a courtroom in Brooklyn, where he is expected to stand trial at a later date.

Continued at http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/19/us/el-chapo-guzman-turned-over-to-us/