Customize

Using FOI Request Against The Scilons?

Discussion in 'Think Tank' started by tazor, Jul 15, 2009.

1. tazor Member

Using FOI Request Against The Scilons?

This thread is from ESMB. Please read (not very long) and tell me what you think. Would FOI requests effectively hurt the cult?

FOI - WTF?

Oh sorry, link not working. I'll try again.

Here it is:http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=12481
  2. CLOCKSHIT Member

Re: Using FOI Request Against The Scilons?

FOI = Freedom of Information request.
  3. tazor Member

4. Anonymous Member

If anyone that reads this thread posts at ESMB, could they please notify the OP in the thread, that Dept of Fair Trading are allowed by Law, to delete all contact details of the individual. The details of the complaint and whom made it must remain

The individual has a window of opportunuity to notify the sender of the letter (rather likely to be Yolanda the A/Co-ordinator for the Commissionser for Fair Trading) they have valid concerns that The Church of Scientology Australia are trying to contact the individual against their wishes.

The Department of Fair Trading are currently dealing with a multitude of FOI requests from the cult in Australia. How do I know this? The OP is a repeat of a very similar instance that occurred only days ago
  5. mongrel Member

Apparently FOI requests are drastically different in countries other than the US. Sounds like this would be win elsewhere but the US FOIA only applies to the government, not private entities (people or corporations).
  6. Anonymous Member

EDIT
    The above is quoted from the cover letter Dept of Fair Trading send Third Party effected RE FOI applications
  7. Anonymous Member

Okay, it has been posted on ESMB. Thanks for the information.
  8. AnonyMary Member

That request was made in Australia. FOIA requests depend upon the country. In the USA, that kind of request would not get through the filing stage.

ps: Sorry the skooter's are being harassssed like this but glad they got their repayment!
  9. Anonymous Member

Different states have different Open Records / Public Records / Sunshine laws.

Typically any "record" can be requested but from govt agencies, or anyone contracted by a public agency. So if some city paid for fireman training, or other vulture minister stuff, there might be some records.

In general, other then: DHS/ tariffs on e-meters.... Some correspondence with public officials.. Permits or applications like building, sidewalk, street closures, etc.... Grant monies paid for things like narconon... campaign contributions... Any police, FBI records for such things as if they have investigated high ranking scilons (also probably not public)... Maybe some IRS stuff...

There isn't much else that would be US based relevant to our interests eligible under FOIA.
  10. tazor Member

Bump for word from anons in other countries.
  11. Anonymous Member

I've used the FOI in the UK on a number of occasions lately, firstly regarding street trading permits in London, and several others on the go at the moment. It's a bit of an art form being able to ask the same question in the right way to get the answer you want without falling foul of the various privacy bits that give the authorities a 'get out' from having to provide the information.

A lot of times you can do a FOI online without having to give a home address, so you get maximum privacy at all times.

I've found telephoning whoever is dealing with your request and explaining the reasoning behind why you are asking often makes them more interested in your case, as it's usually just another tedious request in the pile - and when you start talking to them, they can make suggestions on how to get round the red tape to give you what you want just by changing the wording a little in your request.

So far, requests have shown that very, very few times have 'stress test tables' obtained the proper street trading permits they are legally obliged to have, relying on the ignorance of the law by passing enforcement officials, as they're reluctant to disrupt a 'religious outreach' (that's despite the cult not being classed a religion in the UK).

Again, it's all education, slowly slowly catchey monkey and all that. Every single council official I've spoken to now knows lots about Scientology and the reasons why we protest, in regards to any future requests.

Obviously they have to remain neutral to all sides within their professional capacity - but I know at least one person I've spoken to "happened to be in town shopping" at a previous protest and took a handful of literature to read in their own time.