Customize

Useful: "A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace"

Discussion in 'Think Tank' started by Harry Tuttle, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Harry Tuttle Member

This document (excerpts thereof) may be very useful for fliers, etc. Definitely recommended reading. It directly addresses the issue of internet freedom and is written by one of the founders of EFF. Plus, it sounds very anonymous-y.

The tl;dr version:
    Useful links:

Full text posted here for your convenience.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Anonymous Member

This is good! I think anonymous needs something short and to the point, but says the same thing. The internet is international free speech. A few sentences that lets governments know that, and something to rally behind would be great.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Ann O'Nymous Member

Full of nice delusion.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. CarterUSP Member

Why is WWP so full of this crap?
    I'm getting tired of noobs deciding that all governments are bad and that we should be free minded - then they write some kind of organised declaration in an effort to leaderfag everyone, trying to speak for everyone.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ann O'Nymous Member

John Perry Barlow is not exactly a newcomer:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Perry_Barlow
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Zak McKracken Member

^^^
    Replace it with Ann's comment and I think we're good.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Zak McKracken Member

Some Anons are becoming tired of persons "new-to-the-Anonymous-hive" that attempt to recruit us for their personal army, in fighting against the hobgoblin of corrupt governments everywhere.

The persons attempting recruitment are not new, their PA attempt is not new, but invoking Anonymous as their personal savior is a new development. Some anons even revel in the attention and encourage it.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Zak McKracken Member

Why not?
    WWP is not your personal treefort.
    • Like Like x 5
  9. Anonymous Member

Not all governments are bad, but they all have the ability to be corrupt. What that "declaration" basically says this is our domain, and you (the governments) don't have the right to stop anybody from going were they want, downloading what they want to download, or saying what they have to say.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. none given Member

• Like Like x 6
  11. Onanymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lindworm Member

onanymous has reached enlightenment!
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Zak McKracken Member

• Like Like x 3
  14. Clever Name Member

preferably in the AvS subforum

quit posting in these threads and maybe they'll die a natural death. attention is the currency of the internet: stop throwing money at ideas you hate.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Plp Member

You are terrified of your own children, since they are natives in a world where you will always be immigrants.

like that line since I feel that way about myself. I want a place to call home but I don't feel home here since I don't even know my ancestry.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. none given Member

kinda like tracing the family tree of a trilobite:
    lemme see... the chans is where it got real, ebaums world mattered,
    There was a thing called AOL. IRC was the primortial soup they all grew from.
    See, I was there and it's all a blurr to me too.

Order grew from Chaos.
    Go with that, more or less true and a usefull myth either way.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Anonymous Member

Yeah, the Grateful Dead guy! He predicted years ago that the internet would lead to a movement to business competition which would be a enormous boon to the consumer. This didn't happen. Amazon. eBay. Google. The leaders led the market, and he was sadly wrong. I love his lyrics though!
    • Like Like x 1
  18. WillyWonkanon Member

Harry, this is cool.
    Interesting philosophicall, and on a positive note, a celebration of creativity.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  20. anonymous612 Member

I had a dream like this a few weeks ago.

It had more sex and guitars in it, though.
    • Like Like x 2
  21. WillyWonkanon Member

Thank you for sharing, Harry.
    I'll be sure to look at your work.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. none given Member

As they say in baseball: it ain't over till it's over.
    • Like Like x 2
  23. JohnnyRUClear Member

Business competition works and it helps people. (John D. Rockefeller, STFU and stay dead. Wanker.)
    • Like Like x 2
  24. This brought a tear to my eye, it's going in my dissertation x
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  26. Anonymous Member

wisdom is old.
    smart people can distill something from history and translate it into something potentially useful in the future. :)

agree or disagree, it is interesting to contemplate this, - i think, anyhow.
    • Like Like x 2
  27. don't agree or disagree, agree AND disagree, there can then be no disagreement
  28. JohnnyRUClear Member

"Shove me in the shallow water before I get too deep." ^^^^
  29. Plp Member

true that... that's definitely a better way of thinking. I found out I actually have first nations in me, which is actually kind-of a relief in a way. At least a part of me belongs here. Apparently I'm one of Pocahontas many descendants as well LOL.