Customize

US Government want Wikileaks Twitter Details

Discussion in 'Wikileaks' started by Jinkii, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Jinkii Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12141530

The US government has subpoenaed the social networking site Twitter for personal details of people connected to Wikileaks, court documents show.
    The US District Court in Virginia said it wanted information including user names, addresses, connection records, telephone numbers and payment details.

Long Live the 4th Reich!
  2. DeathHamster Member

How do they define "people connected to Wikileaks"?
  3. Yes I herd about this on the news a few hours ago, I hope they don't get this information for the sake of the innocent people supporting wikileaks. The US government seems to really be on the war path with this one! Although Twitter bowed down to the US government before so I have no doubt that they will do it again...
  4. PhAnonynom Member

5. haklaf Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. Herro Member

Long live the 4th reich? The US government had to go to the courts and make the case that Twitter should have to surrender info to them. Twitter was then able to go to the courts and make the case that the investigated individuals should be made aware of the probe and the courts agreed. Hardly seems like Nazi Germany to me. But whatever.
  7. new guy Member

Herro's right.
    Someone give him a trophy.
  8. Jinkii Member

yes, you are right, it was the wrong phrase to use.
    i should have said "fucking yank bawbags subpeonaing foreign government officials because they dared comment upon your killing journalists and civilians"
    what do i know im on a new member, dispite having posted here since before LE swapped the old server for crack.
  9. Herro Member

The US government is conducting an investigation. Should they not be allowed to investigate who is leaking and hosting their classified information?
  10. Seneca Member

Not if its an investigation in search of a crime. They need to have some indication a crime took place.
    This is simply a war on journalism.

They have the right to investigate the leaking of the material, but have no right to investigate those who host the information.
    So in other words, the order for Manning seems reasonable, but the order for the other people is over reaching.
    (Assuming they have some evidence that Manning did something wrong.)

And depending on how you read the order, investigating ALL subscribers to twitters wikileaks channel is shameful.
  11. papers Member

It slays me how completely unaware some people are of how many rights they sign away when they scroll to the bottom and click I AGREE. Still, I'm kind of surprised Twitter had the stones to get the secrecy clause of the injunction quashed. Good for them!
  12. dwest Member

Its being hosted outside of the United States. Bradley Manning appears to be the leaker. His case will be held in a military court.

These orders don't represent either of your case scenarios.
  13. MailerDemon Member

Not only do we live in a Big Brother police state, but we're still trying to police the entire world to do our bidding.
  14. Herro Member

Yes he does appear to be the leaker and his case will be held. So wouldn't you investigate to find out more and to strengthen your case?
  15. WMAnon Member

I think what people are getting at here is that there's a certain expectation in these investigations that you are only free to investigate the suspects, not everyone they ever talked to. The problem is that it looks like the government is trying to prosecute WikiLeaks for being what it is (something that a lot of us support) rather than ending the investigation at the one person they have reason to believe committed a real crime (Manning).
  16. Herro Member

Very valid point. However, part of an investigation is figuring out who the suspects are. I would agree that the government trying to harass people who did nothing more than voice support for wikileaks is totally bogus, and if that happens I'll be the first person to stand up and say so. But that hasn't happened yet so I'm going to hold off on the Fourth Reich and "war on journalism" rhetoric and stick to just keeping a cautious eye on the State.
  17. dwest Member

The Department of Justice has nothing to do with the military. The military will be prosecuting Manning.

This court order has to do with another federal case. Its a fishing expedition.
  18. Herro Member

State Department is the military? Their shit got put in the street too.
  19. themadhair Member

20. new guy Member

Thanks madhair.
    It's an excellent article.
  21. dwest Member

22. I'm sure /b/ can photoshop some "results" the Gov't finds credible. For instance the secret wikileaks nerve center in a sub-basement at Gold Base.
  23. Herro Member

wat
  24. When the government somehow becomes [mis]convinced that wikileaks has a secret nerve center at gold base they will go in there with dogs, guns, bulldozers, and backhoes.

If it later turns out that the lead was a dead-end ( in terms of wikileaks) ...
    oh well, some occasional collateral damage is the price of security .
  25. Herro Member

Wait, you are kidding right? You're not actually that dumb are you?
  26. dumb probably not... THough it would be funny as hell to see the government break down the doors to Gold Base expecting Julian Assanges secret leet servers and instead finding RPF victims living in the basement
    • Like Like x 1
  27. Zak McKracken Member

Successfully trolling you ought to be one of the site Trophies.
    • Like Like x 1
  28. Herro Member

Note the question marks in my post. They're legit.
  29. I'm actually proposing that the federal government be trolled.
    If Herro goes for it too, something something collateral damage something
  30. anonymous9 Member

Is that what they're calling them these days?
  31. haklaf Member

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/complia...dispute-reaches-european-parliament-40091403/
  32. xaSito Member

Esto es lo que se llama una autentica "caza de brujas" por parte de EE.UU., ...por lo menos en la UE parece que reaccionan ante una violacion de derecho tan descarada, aunque mucho me temo que solo sea un movimiento de cara a la galeria.
  33. Char. Limit Member

34. hushpuppy Member

Very interested however the link is dead.
  35. Char. Limit Member

Sorry about that. It should work now.
  36. Sponge Member

37. Herro Member

38. Char. Limit Member

Oh, you know, unreasonable search and seizure of information and the like.
  39. Herro Member

And the fact that the the search and seizure wasn't arbitrary and warrant-less but rather came in the form of a subpoena?