Customize

Urgent: German Transcript of "Die Hirnwäscher" finished - Need English Translation

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by Raven, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Raven Member

Urgent: German Transcript of "Die Hirnwäscher" finished - Need English Translation

I just finished the german transcript of yesterday aired german documentary "Die Hirnwäscher - Wie gefährlich ist Scientology?". I'll leave it here. Since the non-german speaking Anons are eagerly awaiting a version with english subs, i'll leave the transcript here for translation.

Comments in {brackets} are added by myself.

2. indeedindeed Member

Re: Urgent: German Transcript of "Die Hirnwäscher" finished - Need English Translatio

from another thread:

Originally Posted by Itwasntme View Post
    Here is the first ten minutes in English. I am out of Ritalin and it's taking me foerever. Sorry guys...

VO:
    New York is excited - awaiting a film premiere. Tom Cruise himself will be there, the celebrity who has set out to bring about a new world order.

TC.
    It's our resposibility to educate… to create a new reality. It's our responsibilty… This is the way it should be done.

VO:
    All this may sound strange, but it serves a purpose. Cruise is a Scientologist on a propaganda mission for the much talked about cult that is enraged by these masked protesters.

VO:
    And now ruise is even playing Stauffenberg, the would-be Hitler assasin. Will "Valkyrie" - in German movie theaters starting tomorrow - turn into an instrument to promote Scientology?

Brainwashing - how dangerous is Scientology?

VO:
    In New York the crowd is pushing and shoving… he will be here soon. More than one hundred camerateams from around the world are here. The red carpet has been rolled out on the top floor of a shopping mall, well shielded from the public. This is an invite-only event, the masked people must be kept out at all costs, those much-hated party-guerillas that call themselves "Anonymous" and refuse to take Cruise and his buddies- the Scientologists of the world- seriously.

VO:
    Meanwhile, Tom Cruise is only a few feet away, hoping to be praised for his performance as Stauffenberg. Unpleasant questions are brushed off. "Did being a scientologist give you strength to play this part?"

TC:
    I don't understand the question.

VO:
    The man is a professional in dealing with the press.

VO:
    And the Stauffenberg movie is not as bad as had been feared. Even if the dialogue is not always very deep.

(Valkyrie clip)

VO:
    A strange device. The so-called E-Meter, the holiest of holy things for a scientologist, a kind of lie detector that the organisation uses to monitor it's members - according to Scientology that's ten million people worldwide. Guilt must be admitted.

VO:
    Critics and ex-members find it insulting that Cruise, Scientology's most public figure, is now playing the role of a man who paid with his life for standing up to a totalitarian regime.
    Astrid von Rönn:
    It's ridiculous. Because Scientology is a dictatorship, it's a suppressive system.

Thomas Gandow:
    He is trying to seduce the masses and to distract from what Scientology is doing. The purpose of making the movie was to increase Scientology's influence in Germany.

Günter Beckstein:
    Apart from his acting qualities, I don't want to comment on them, there is also a message here that is in my opinion disastrous. Trying to possibly lure in young people or people with psychological problems and introduce them to the of Scientology. This way the hesitance to turn to Scientology is reduced, then they are quickly caught up and can't get back out.

Astrid von Rönn:
    Celebrities are very important for Scientology. They're walking advertisements.
    Tom Cruise is a cool guy and likes Scientology, so it can't be all bad.

(Valkyrie clip)

VO:
    Tom Cruise's speeches to Scientologists are reminiscent of old propaganda speeches.

TC:
    Are we gonna clean this place up?

TC:
    We're counting on you.

TC:
    To LRH!

VO:
    This "cleaning up" they speak of sounds alarming. But how dangerous is this registered association that calls itself a "church" really?

VO:
    The Berlin headquarters building is quite big and posh. Scientology claims to have 30.000 members in Germany. The Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution however, which has been keeping an eye on the organisation for years, estimates there are no more than 6.000 members in Germany.

VO:
    We had an interview scheduled. A few hours before the shoot the interview was cancelled. It was explained that airing the documentary the day before "Valkyrie" starts showing in German movie theaters was not right. We should change the air-date - but we didn't want to. So we went looking for insiders and experts that could explain what Scientology is and what Scientologists do.

Uschi Caberta:
    They believe things like, "We are the only people that have a right to judge others." If an islamic imam were to say this in a mosque, he would be kicked out of the country for hate preaching. But Scientologst in Germany get this drilled into their heads. They are... It's the same as in many totalitarian ideologies, there is a race, Hubbard says it's a kind of person, that is enabled through Scientology's training to become one of the only ones that have a right to judge and decide for others.

Thomas Gandow:
    Scientology is a totalitarian organisation. They do not tolerate critics but they don't even tolerate indifference.All they want is supporters. Anyone not willing to be one is supposed to be turned around or quarantined and 2,5% of all races are supposed to be destroyed, because they are beyond saving.

Tilmann:
    Where is this written?

Thomas Gandow:
    In Hubbards instructions.

VO:
    L. Ron Hubbard. 1911-1986. The founder of Scientology viewed all people opposed to scientology as criminals. Onjection is not allowed, it disturbs the peace and harmony Scientology promises, as shown in this promotion film.

VO:
    Hubbard, who started out as a science-fiction writer, wrote: On the other side of the valley there is a higher level, with a better life. Scientology is the bridge across this valley, the bridge to a more beautiful and happy world.
    Sounds nice, but what is it really about?

Uschi Caberta:
    Communication skills training. That's how it starts. That's to get people hooked. Communications training and employee training is very big in Germany right now. Apparently people have a lot of problems and have difficulty communicating. There's an endless demand for this kind of thing, and Scientology wants a piece of the pie.
    But Scientolgy doesn't improve people's communication skills, instead they introduce their ideology step by step through their courses and seminars. And that's when people get started.

VO:
    1984 in Stuttgart, Germany, a young man found Scientology and invested 22 years of his life to the cult. Under orders of the organisation - that claims he only took care of the car fleet in England - he spent years travelling the world and working in the L.A. headquarters. He managed to get out in 2006. Now he has written a disturbing book, which has as of yet not been objected to by Scientology.

John Duigan:
    I found myself walking around Stuttgart, very very lost. An attractive German girl, Sabine, came to me and said, "Haben Sie ein gutes Gedächtnis?" And I was a bit out there and explained that I speak English. So she said, "Have you got a good memory?", I said no, she said, "Come with me." Just like this, incredible control. Come with me.
    And of ourse my situation, I didn't know what to expect. So I went and took a OCA personality test. And after it was evaluated, I find that I'm all along the bottom. The Scientologists then told me I had major troubles and could even die. Every thing is terrible unless you do Scientology, it's the only thing that's going to help you.

VO:
    Like noone before him, Duigan describes in detail the manipulation techniques, the conditioning, the systematic spying on members - all this under the guise of being a "church". Even they way Scientologists speak sounds martialistic.

VO:
    Hubbards dogmas are taught by auditors. But what happens during this so-called auditing, those regular interrogations using the e-meter?

Wilfried Handl:
    Yes, it's an excercise... I need to explain something first, the so called Tone Forty. That's what Scientology calls it, and this tone is comparable to the tone of military drill sergeants. This means there is no resistance when I say something. This is trained by using an ashtray, and you yell at the ashtray, "get up, sit down," being quite nice, you're helping the ashtray because ashtrays find it hard to get up and sit down. And the point of the exercise is to have complete control over someone else.

[part by blank starts here]

JD: An example is, you're made to sit down in front of another person and stare into its eyes. You are not allowed to move. And then these people swear at you and mock you. They can do anything with you what they want except for touching you. You on the other side may not even blink. I was forced to give up my intuitive, normal behaviour and desires. Anyone under normal circumstances would react and protect himself.
    With that also a mental barrier breaks. I have given Scientology my complete consent to destroy me and that's what they did with me, that's the purpose of this routine in essence.

WH: A scientologist won't even blink, if you read him his death sentence. The purpose of this training routine is that one lets everything happen to oneself without reacting in any way, neither physical by blinking or moving nor emotional. So that one completely numbs down. You won't necessarily recognize this, when you do the routine. The only thing you recognize and what they always tell you while doing this routine, is that you are appearing very "cool" to the environment.

VO: Also the austrian Exscientologist Wilfried Handel, who held once a high position in the organisation, has a long history of suffering, 28 years.
    Only 2002 after a cancer treatment, he succeded to drop out. Scientology claims, they had dismissed Handel themselves.

WH: I led the organisation in Vienna, which was relatively big at that time with over 90 staff members and me being their executive director.

VO: As he frankly says today himself, he has participated in a system of total control. He has believed in the emeter.
    Scientology is considering this a "religious" device. The auditing sessions, so says Handel, are not so cheerful and relaxed, how the scientology PR film wants to make us believe. The organisation says: Auditing is the individual spiritual counseling in the Scientology church. Goal is spiritual salvation of man.
    There are people, who see this more profane.

[new content starts here]

draft of translation of some parts from later on, without consideration of original english material, i.e. it's all translated from the transcript without specifically considering the english statements heard in the background.

Scientology is outraged. A statement says: "Anonymous are cyber-terrorists, hiding their identities behind masks and the internet's anonymity, they are persecuting Scientology by hate speech and hate crimes."
    But the fun movement seems to be almost unstoppable. The dreaded mask-bearers have advanced even into the sunshine state of Florida. Clearwater. The Scientologists' mekka, the, quote unquote, "spiritual center" of the Church of Scientology. The pompous architecture suggests: "There's nothing that may shake us".
    Or is there? March 13th 2008. It's something like christmas day to Scientologists. L. Ron Hubbard's birthday. He would have turned 97 that day. Around 100 anonymous intend to congratulate in their fashion and prepare for a fun-filled protest march to the Scientology central. May Hubbard's adherents sit in front of their e-meters, summon the thetan, the eternal spirit, and may they keep on auditing until the last orgasm has been brought to paper: The mask people prefer to do a masquerade. Suddenly the colossus has become very small. The organisation's adherents clearly feel annoyed by the protesters.
    "Fair Game". That's a code word used by Hubbard, which was still in use very recently in training materials.

[Interviewer] So you worked from early in the morning to 11:30pm. Did Scientology at least pay you appropriately?

[Astrid von Rönn, ex-member] No, of course not.

[Interviewer] How much did you earn?

[Astrid von Rönn, ex-member]Well, I earned between 30 and 60 Deutschmarks a week.

[Wilfried Handl, Ex-Director, Scientology Austria]
    So you may understand, not only are you unable to pay a rent from 30 Euros a week, you can't even pay the cigarettes that you might need. This means that most need a second job.

[Astrid von Rönn, ex-member]
    You get up in the morning, see to it that you get to work, earn a little money, so it's part time, then you drive to the org and work for your statistics and see to it that you reach the goal, the goal of the week, the month and the total goal, just to clear the planet.

[John Duignan, ex-member, author]
    You work in such a focused manner, that everything else became unimportant to me, even my friends and my partner in life.

[Interviewer]
    There was only Scientology?

[John Duignan, Scientology-Aussteiger, Autor]
    Right. Within a few weeks time, in only two months, I was only surrounded by Scientology and Scientologists. Scientology around the clock. That was my life.

[Commentary]Who wants to break free may even have to face -under certain circumstances- a camp. A stay at the "Rehabilitation Project Force", in short RPF. Especially the 5.000 members of the elite unit Sea Org are made to tow the line here. There's a lot of speculation about these camps, whose existence is not being denied by the organisation. Here are the dark facts:

[Interviewer]
    What do you know about these penal camps?

Well, I took part in one myself, however this was in Copenhagen. It is very strictly organized, e.g. you are not allowed to talk to anyone who is not inside this penal camp and you may only move through the organisation or Copenhagen running, you have to do hard manual labor, which really exhausts you.

You got no choice. They tell you "You're a dog, you're a pig". They destroy any form of self-respect until you finally feel like a dog or a pig. Then you won't refuse to go to the camp.

[Interviewer] So, how much time do you spend there?

[Astrid von Rönn, ex-member] Well, I was there for 14 days, in the more severe camp, which is in the USA, there you are 2-3 years.

[Wilfried Handl, Ex-Director, Scientology Austria] Well, I have met two "graduates" -quote unquote- of these camps, in England. And what struck me -back then I was still a Scientologist- these are extremely empty people, de-individuized. There is nothing to be seen of any personality, they are, if one wants to put it that way, robots. And you may get an idea how this comes about when you consider: They have something between 10 to 15 hours of labor each day, then they also have to study Hubbard's writings and in the small time that remains, they are allowed to sleep. The food is more or less waste.

[Interviewer] Why does one go through this?

[Astrid von Rönn, ex-member] That's this inner-scientologic pressure. You don't want to loose that bridge to freedom. You know, you feel that if you loose that bridge you will drop dead. And you are afraid of this.

[Commentary] In autumn of 2007 the ministers of interior of the states decided to enhance the observation of the cult and to be more targeted in it with the intent of introducing in the following year investigative proceedings for a ban of Scientology. The association was despising humans and not compatible with our constitution, they said.

[Günter Beckstein, former bavarian interior minister] It is completely clear that Scientology is a system, which is not grounded in our constitution, but an organisation, which has an anti-constitutional stance.

[Commentary] Feverish investigations began in all the states. Do 6.000 to 8.000 Scientologists actually pose a threat to our lawful state? We investigate. What were the results of the investigations by the Offices for the Protection of the Constitution?

[Beate Bube, President of OPC Baden-Württemberg]There is no need to actually fear a threat or a danger to our society through a really large or really substantial re-organisation of our society according to scientologic rules, however, I'm of the opinion that a continuation of the observation by the OPC is appropriate.

[Commentary]
    So the proceedings against Scientology were toned down on the last annual conference of the interior ministers due to necessity. There was no majority for a request for a ban. Only Bavaria and Hamburg still hope for it. But the OPC is still watching Hubbartd's adherents.

[Ehrhart Körting, Senator of the Interior, Berlin]
    The OPC has found material from Scientology's history, from their publications, which show us, what type of organisation we have here. That does not change, but the OPC didn't find such grieveous criminal or other offences, that we would say, you can only answer those with a ban. We think it's better to fight such an organisation in an aggressive public way.

[Commentary]
    Education - that's the interior ministers' approach - is more important than a ban. It's important to make the discrepancy visible, existing between the world of scientologic advertisment films and the everyday life within the organisation, to do it in schools, in companies and last but not least in the media. There's something to be learned from the experiences of the ex-members.

For me, it has simply been a painful experience, which I don't want to go through again, which I don't wish even for my worst enemy to experience. And I'm just happy, that I've managed to get out of there and that I can live my life now.

[Interviewer]
    So, you are not clear or clean?

Exactly.

I've decided to go to university, even though I'm that old. I had to learn to think normal again. I didn't even know what "normal" was. And now I have the possibility to regain a peace of normality with the help of wonderful professors.

Well, bans only make people curious. I think it's way more important to make politicians cognizant of Scientology's existence, of Scientologists' goals, how they approach people.

[Thomas Gandow, protestant minister, sect commissioner]
    Scientology is an association. This association ought to be banned according to the constitution, because it is directed against the criminal law. This can be demonstrated when it comes to the topic of practising usury, they exploit their employees, they practise usury with their courses, they violate the laws for practising madicine and there are some other paragraphs concerning fraud that could be mentioned.

Why is there a state when anyone can do anything? And the main problem is that most people don't know what Scientology is about, so you have to act with care when dealing with it. And I wouldn't ban Scientology outright either. I would go and simply take a look at the specific techniques or the specific courses that they offer and then I would ban these.

I'm still angry and I will also never forgive Scientology what they have done to me. But, as it's usual in liberal Europe, they ought to have the right to meet and to organise themselves as a group. However, this does not mean that they may deceive people.
  3. Ann O'Nymous Member

Re: Urgent: German Transcript of "Die Hirnwäscher" finished - Need English Translatio

[Sprecher]
    Bilder des gestrigen Abends. Deutschlandpremiere von Operation Walküre in Berlin. Auch Tom Cruise, Stauffenbergdarsteller und Top-Scientologe, ist mit von der Partie. Unweit vom Geschehen versammeln sich uneingeladen maskierte Gestalten. Die Bewegung der Anonymen hat Deutschland erreicht. Die Spaß-Partisanen sind da. Sie haben das vielleicht beste Rezept des Umgangs mit Scientology gefunden: Aufklärung und heiteres Verlachen.

[Commentary]
    Pictures of yesterday evening. German premiere of Operation Walkyrie in Berlin. Tom Cruise, playing Stauffenberg and top scientologist, attends the party. Not far from it, uninvited masked people are gathering. The Anonymous movement reached Germany. The fun partisans are here. They perhaps found the best prescription for handling Scientology: Clearing-up and cheerful laughter.
  4. Ann O'Nymous Member

[Wilfried Handl, Ex-Direktor, Scientology Österreich]
    Also, wenn Scientology eine Kirche ist, dann ist die Mafia auch eine Kirche.

[Interviewer]
    Warum?

[Wilfried Handl, Ex-Direktor, Scientology Österreich]
    Und zwar: sie gibt den Menschen Sinn im Leben - also wenn man bei der Mafia ist, kann man Drogendealer werden oder Kurier, oder Geldwäscher, also da gibts sicher Aufstiegsmöglichkeiten, bei Scientology ist das ähnlich.

[Wilfried Handl, ex-director, Scientology Austria]
    Thus, if Scientology is a church, then the mafia is also a church.

[Interviewer]
    Why?

[Wilfried Handl, ex-director, Scientology Austria]
    It gives people a meaning in their life - thus if one is with the mafia, one can become drugs dealer or courier, or take care of money laundering; it gives real advancement opportunities; scientology is similar to that.
  5. Ann O'Nymous Member

[Thomas Gandow, ev.Pfarrer, Sektenbeauftragter]
    Scientology benutzt das Wort "Kirche" zur Täuschung von Leuten. Weil Leute dann denken, naja, das muß ja irgendwas religiöses sein. Das ist aber nicht bloß sozusagen eine Markenverletzung, so wie wenn jemand an braune Brause "Coca Cola" ranschreibt, sondern hier handelt es sich um einen Glaubensartikel. Kirche ist nicht einfach nur unser Firmenname, sondern das ist ein Artikel in unserem Glaubensbekenntnis. Wir glauben an die heilige allgemeine christliche Kirche. Und wenn jemand den Begriff der Kirche benutzt, um Erpressung, Ausforschung, Unterdrückung von Leuten, totalitäre Durchsetzung zu propagieren, ist das ein Mißbrauch und bringt Schande auf den Namen "Kirche".

[Günther Beckstein, ehem. Innenminister Bayern]
    Für mich ist Scientology - völlig eindeutig - nicht etwa eine Religionsgemeinschaft, sondern ein Finanzkonzern, der die Leute in seine Macht kriegen will und dann systematisch sie ausbeutet, ein höchst undemokratischer Verein, aber keine Kirche.

[Thomas Gandow, evangelist minister, in charge of cults]
    Scientology uses the word "church" to deceive people. Because people then think, OK, that must be something religious. That is however not only as it were a trademark abuse, as if someone describes a brown drink "Coca Cola", but it concerns a faith issue here. Church is not simply only our company name, but that is a part of our belief system. We believe in the holy general Christian church. And if someone uses the term of the church for extortion, interrogation, suppression of people, totalitarian penetration to develop, that is an abuse and brings dishonor on the word "church".

[Günther Beckstein, former Ministers of the Interior Bayern]
    For me - to be completely clear - scientology is not a religious community, but an financial group, which wants to get the people into its power and then systematically exploit them, a most undemocratic association, but no church.
  6. gandow Member

Thank You for Your good work.
  7. TypingChimp Member

Thanks. The amount of German I know is pretty much limited to "Wie bereit sind Sie zu nackt?" (Okay, so I used Google Translate for that one) and stuff on a menu.
  8. Re: Urgent: German Transcript of "Die Hirnwäscher" finished - Need English Translatio

My German is a little bit rusty but I think the correct phrase is "Wie bereit sind Sie nackt zu bekommen?"

But this one works better ...

"Ich habe Sauerkraut in meiner Lederhosen"
  9. TypingChimp Member

Oh, and another great German word: koboldmaki. Thanks. :)
  10. Ann O'Nymous Member

[Sprecher]
    Und bloße Narretei ist nach Ansicht vieler Experten - von Theologen vor allem - das Etikett "Kirche", mit dem sich der scientologische Verein so gerne schmückt. Niemand wird einen mündigen Bürger daran hindern können, dieser Organisation beizutreten, und ihr sehr viel Geld zu vermachen. Nur mit Spiritualität, mit den Fragen nach Dingen jenseits des Hier und Jetzt hat dieses sehr irdische Unternehmen wenig zu tun.
    Der evangelische Pfarrer Thomas Gandow, seit Jahren ein wacher Kritiker und eben deshalb von der Organisation auch persönlich attackiert, fühlt sich als Christ verhöhnt, wenn ein Verein wie Scientology sich "Kirche" nennt.

[Speaker]
    In the opinion of many experts - from theologians above all - the "church" label with which the scientologist association decorates itself so gladly is completely misleading. Nobody will be able to prevent a citizen of age to step inside this organization and to give it a lot of money. It is just that this very terrestrial enterprise has little to do with spirituality, with the questions about things beyond the Here and Now.
    The protestant minister Thomas Gandow, a long-time critic and therefore attacked by the organization also at a personal level, feels lampooned as a Christian when an association such as Scientology labels itself "church".
  11. Ann O'Nymous Member

12. sue Administrator

there sint much activity in the irc channel so if you can and want to continue translating please do :p
  13. indeedindeed Member

ok, this is directly after the part from blank ended:

[Wilfried Handl, Ex-Director, Scientology Austria] Hubbard states "the e-meter never lies, it's always right." And Scientology does assume that if someone doesn't reach a goal, independent of how realistic it is, that that person has to have a skeleton in his closet. This means, that he is being forced- how did he go wrong in the past, what are his crimes and he has got to put it on paper, no matter whether these were some youthful aberrations, whether these are sexual issues or whether these are some thoughts. So he's forced, as a first step, to write all of this down.

[John Duignan, ex-member, author] You may have no withholds. There is no private area. When you masturbate, you have to tell it to Scientology, but not only this: You also have to justify what you were thinking while masturbating. This is incredible. I have read a file about a pretty important woman within Scientology. It said that she had had an orgasm last night, an orgasm with her husband. How do I have any right to know of these sort of things? What does it concern the "church" quote unquote of Scientology?

[Wilfried Handl, Ex-Director, Scientology Austria] If the e-meter says: Nope, that guy still got skeletons in his closet, which he doesn't want to see or which he doesn't want to admit to, then there is still the harsher punishment of a security check. This means that you sit behind the e-meter and get asked questions. These questions range from whether you have ever stolen anything to whether you were ever in fear of the police or also whether you ever had any bad thoughts on L. Ron Hubbard. Whether you ever had any bad thoughts on other Scientologists. So in principle - it takes hours - you're being interrogated on everything you have and only if you receive the final ok, the permission that you are clean [Interviewer: by the e-meter?] - by the e-meter. The e-meter determines what is and what isn't. And if the e-meter agrees, you are sort of liberated, but this doesn't mean that you won't sit in front of the e-meter again three weeks from now.

[Ursula Caberta, expert on Scientology at the Senate of Hamburg] These auditing sessions are one of the most central psycho techniques which are used within the organisation, they also transform people into a state, in which they don't even know what they are actually doing, what they are saying.

[Wilfried Handl, Ex-Director, Scientology Austria] You really have to get the idea, that this way, the transparent human is being created. This stuff is not put into the rubbish bin, it goes into the file afterwards.

[Commentary] How to confront the scientologic danger? New York's anonymous, those with the masks, have found their very own answer: Education by means of cleverness and satire. In the internet and on the streets. Spontaneous actions, humorous attacks, which the religious corporation doesn't enjoy at all. Over there, they fear the masked people like the devil fears the holy water. Scientology has a solution for virtually everything, except for joking and irony.

[NY Anon 1] The only way to deal with people that have such an exaggerated self-image such as the Scientologists, is to make fun of them. We don't want to persecute these people and we don't hate them either, we simply make fun of them.

[NY Anon 2] Scientology is a serious organisation, satire and humour are absolutely dangerous to it. It contradicts their claim to supress people's thoughts.

[Tom Smith, ex-member, Clearwater]
    When they have assigned the state of "fair game" to someone, that person is like an animal to them, which they have to get rid of or kill. He may be attacked and insulted. He is ostracized. Scientologists may consciously do damage to him without being punished for it by the church.

[Commentary]
    What the outcome of a fair little "fair game" such as this may be, can be learned from the sad case of the man, who was the owner of this ancient limousine. In February 2008 he took his life by using a pipe directing car exhaust fumes into his living room. His name was Shawn Lonsdale, one of the most prominent Scientology critics in Clearwater. Important witness for a BBC TV documentary in 2007. During the interview a Scientology staff member appears and reads to the interviewer from a dossier. Lonsdale had once been dependent on drugs and had worked as a male prostitute. Lonsdale answered: "Did Scientology help me at that time?"
    For some years the avid photographer and videographer had been a thorn in Scientology's flesh. Lonsdale himself documented, how they persecuted him. "Fair Game" around the city they placed small wanted posters informing about Lonsdale's past. Lonsdale never obscured his past, which he had left behind a long time ago. But now he didn't have any rights.

[Tom Smith, ex-member, Clearwater]
    They have humiliated him, they declared him to be an enemy, allegedly doing propaganda against them. They have encited other people to avoid him and to no longer speak to him.

[Commentary]
    What did Lonsdale do? He filmed and distributed flyers. Scientology denounced him because of this, even to his employer.

[Interviewer]
    Scientology did inform you about his past?

[Jeffrey Taylor, former employer]
    Yes.

[Interviewer]
    What do you think of this method?

[Jeffrey Taylor, former employer]
    I don't think it's normal. I think Scientology was very worried that Shawn Lonsdale may damage their reputation. These people wanted me to let my employee down.

[Commentary]
    Scientology denies any responsibility for the death of poor Shawn Lonsdale. There had been no contact recently they say. However, his friends say that he never recovered from the attacks by the Scientologists, from the public exposure of himself.
    Scientology critics live dangerous at times. Years ago, Ursula Caberta experienced this as well. As she arrived at the Tampa airport, a horde of outraged Scientologists were at the gate already. She gave her talk anyway. Ursula Caberta, sect commissioner of the Hamburg senate with a focus on Scientology, is the german main subject of hate for the organisation. Some of her colleagues have given up a long time ago due to attrition.

[Ursula Caberta, expert on Scientology at the Hamburg Senate]
    There have been many, many people, all of them have given up. That's because it is hard to tell all that happens to you. You see, it's not like there's someone with a gun in front of your door. But when you go home, people jump out from behind bushes and say "You are Caberta, right!" Such things. Or death threats on the phone, harassment and such things. Or, you're sitting in a restaurant, talking about something and the next day what you may just have said ends on the computer of the mayor of Hamburg. And it is intentional that you realize this is happening, you ought to understand, "we're watching you", that is the message.

[Commentary]
    Hubbard wrote: "The criminal abhors daylight. And we are the daylight. ...
    Every time we have investigated the background of a critic of Scientology, we have found crimes ... If you oppose Scientology we promptly look up—and will find and expose—your crimes."
    So some prefer it not to criticize.

The main thing in Scientology is control. So, one might put it that way, control is the foundation on which the entire thing is built.

Everyone controls everyone. The wife controls the husband, children control the parents, parents control the children. That's because life may only consist of what Hubbard wrote. Nothing else must be part of it.

[Ursula Caberta, Scientology expert at the Hamburg Senate]
    They also report to each other who is complaining. So, the entire system is also designed to ensure complete control between each other, because if someone does not tell that someone complained, then that person has also become culpable in the Scientology system.

I still get upset about it. It hurts me to think about this time. You're caught there. Your soul is being imprisoned there. I've been around the world for Scientology, but I was never free, because I was always and constantly bound to this organisation and had to report to it.

[Commentary]
    Who is working at Scientology leads - according to ex-members - a life under constant pressure. There is fatsidious keeping of statistics, week after week, each thursday, there has to be a proof of performance. Above all it is necessary to get new members to join. Who doesn't fulfill the target statistic has to work longer.

The system is really easy. You make people hungry and make sure that they stay focused on Scientology. The members have to convince other people to buy their way into Scientology. But in the back of their mind they constantly are afraid to have no time for their children, in case they won't be succesful. Or to get no payment, should their statistics, their numbers go down. I scrubbed lobby the whole night through, just because I had a bad statistic. I would have done anything to sell these auditing seminars.

[Commentary]
    They work like busy ants. Ex-members call it pure exploitation. The working hours of more than 12 per day would regularly occur. Everyday life in the Berlin Scientology center as well as the recruitment strategies were recently investigated by undercover journalist Fredy Gareis in a daredevil research.

[Freddy Gareis, Journalist]
    They are being told for example that, if they spend a lot of money, they can cure cancer, they will be able to cure their own cancer, they can prolong their life.

[Interviewer]
    "if they spend money"- how is that? Do you mean if they donate a lot to the organisation?

No. If they move up the bridge to enlightenment. If they become clear, if they pass clear, then they can heal cancer. That is of course... you can't tell people such things. It won't be accurate at all, that you can then cure cancer. When people are being told such things and when this is also being used as a motivation for them to spend more and more money to move up the bridge, then I think that is very dangerous.

[Commentary]
    A few days ago the son of Scientologist John Travolta died. He was - it is alleged by media around the world - mentally ill. But Scientology opposes any psychiatric treatment, psychiatric drugs even more. Has Jett possibly become a victim of Scientology? Scientology denies this, but there are many that think differently.

[Magoo on YT]
    Here I am again. Somebody else has died inside Scientology.

[NY Anon 2]
    Scientology commits grieveous bodily harm. They deny their members any medical treatment if they are mentally or neurologically ill. They oppose such treatment.

[Commentary]
    Hamburg. Probably the most important place of activity for german Scientologists, second only to Berlin. Around 1000 members are being controlled from here. Around 80 staff members work here. Until the end of the 90s, Astrid von Rönn was one of them. She was sick and thought, she could be heal from her suffering with the help of Scientology, which offers its own purification program.

Money wasn't that important for me back then. Well, I found it more interesting to just do this purfication program, given that I suffer from chronic snifles, I am allergic and I thought this would help me.

[Interviewer]
    Did it help?

No.

[Interviewer]
    How did you explain this to yourself? I mean, you pay 5.000 Deutschmarks and then nothing comes out of it. You must have had some sort of explanation for this. Didn't you grow impatient?

No, as there was the next solution for this.

[Interviewer]
    Which one?

Auditing.

[Interviewer]
    Would you please describe... well, you sat at the e-meter then. Would you please describe how that worked?

Well, you sit before the e-meter, you have these cans in your hands and you are being asked specific questions. If someone is ill, that person is a PTS person on principle, so there is a connection to a suppressive. This suppressive may exist in reality in this life or in a past life.

[Interviewer]
    Aha. And did you find something then?

Yes, I found several things. That is to say, several suppressives.

[Commentary]
    It was like a drug allege those that know the corporation from within. The longer you were there, the harder it became to manage to leave. Scientology made their members psychologically dependent.

So it is enhanced relatively quickly. It starts with 20 euro and then all of a sudden you are at 1.500 euros [Interviewer: "1.500 euros!"] and then all of a sudden you are at 50.000 euros. This happens within a time of maybe 1 or 2 years.

The bridge to enlightenment has more steps than you would like. And each step brings you closer to the first boundary, Clear.

[Interviewer]
    There are also costs involved.

Of course. Each step costs money, i.e. each step taken on the level costs money and this bridge to enlightenment is the only way to total freedom in this universe according to Hubbard.

[Ursula Caberta, Scientology expert at Hamburg Senate]
    It also depends a bit on who you are. So, if someone is considered to be a celebrity, someone in that scence, who is thus important, then that person becomes a Clear faster and with less expenses than the others. [Interviewer: "The rank and file members have to work longer?"] The rank and file members have to clown around longer. And then they may never become clear.

Let's say you take a dog, and you put a small stick to his collar and at the end of that stick you put a sausage. For how long will that dog keep running? It's just the same with a Scientologist.

[Thomas Gandow, protestant minister, sect commissioner]
    We've seen it time and again, that the Scientologists won't let go of people at all unless they have wasted all their money for the organisation or also all of their family's assets.

They also don't shy away from reaching into other people's pockets, I'd put it this way: Any credit report from a bank is outright discreet compared to Scientology. They really screen you completely [Interviewer: "how does this manifest itself?"] They don't only ask how many credit cards you have, how many accounts you have, how much is on them, what is the financial situation in your family, are there any inheritances to be expected, is there a house which you may mortgage? Actually they - I know this from my own past as an example - it goes as far as accompanying the person to the bank. So, I've gone to the bank with some, to directly get the money from there after they have gotten it, so they don't get any stupid ideas, such as spending the money for something else on their way to Scientology, so that it adds directly to Scientology's cash.

[Commentary]
    But who can afford the expensive courses at Scientology? Everyone - says Scientology. Our doors are open. Who has got no money for the Hubbard lessons, has to become a staff member and bind himself by a treaty for years to the organisation. Who leaves early has to pay for the courses afterwards. This actually has a detering effect.

I had no money, I was just a young Irishman traveling about. So they suggested to me to become a staff member, so I would work for my auditing sessions.

Those that have money are being fleeced and the others - those that have no money - may become staff members. The main reason why a person becomes a staff member: He gets the courses and the auditing in Scientology for free. And as I didn't have money back then, my path was thus predetermined: I became a staff member.

Well, I had to earn money and so I worked at a scientologist business from 8:30 am to 2:30 pm, before driving to the organisation and there I always worked until 11:30 pm.
  14. indeedindeed Member

First draft here

The rules of THE GAME just changed: Everything that is in the following quote and which is marked blue is part of a first draft. To see whether this post is still accurate check when it was made/updated and also check the date of the latest post of this thread.

Suggestions, corrections and remarks are welcome, do with it as you see fit.
    When copying other parts I only changed three parts of other people, this was because I saw it at that very moment and it seemed clear to me that it ought to be changed: "Günter Beckstein, ministers", took away the final s
    In the description of Pastor Gandow "in charge of cults" changed it to "sect commissioner" and changed "clearing-up" to "education", as it was a translation for "Aufklärung" (final part).

15. Raven Member

Damn indeed, i just finished the last part, too. ;)
  16. frettchen007 Member

simply awsome work ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^îndeedindeed is our translation-HERO

thx itwasntme for the transscipt
  17. indeedindeed Member

so i heard there's a first draft three posts above this one.
    Any corrections etc are welcome as always. Even if you don't speak german you can still remark upon phrases that are unfortunate or don't make any sense and propose improvements.
  18. pokeanon Member

19. bananamous Member

One remark:

The title is "Hirnwäscher ..." which means "The Brainwashers ..." not "Brainwashing"
  20. indeedindeed Member

second draft following, the first draft is still there so people can propose their own corrections if they like. I changed the title as it was suggested, unified the format (e.g. speaker, voiceover, commentary) and corrected obvious mistakes when they caught my eye. The only other substantial change made was near the end at Handl's mafia statement, where I replaced "thus," by "well,", it was "Also," in the german original and I don't think it was "Also" in the sense of drawing a conclusion from the previous statement by Beckstein, but rather "Also," as in introducing a statement of which he is quite sure, thus no thus here. Maybe "Look," would have been even better.

21. Ann O'Nymous Member

Well done. Thanks.
  22. captainslug Member

23. ARC Member

It uses MicroTorrent.
    It is super effective!
  24. moarxenu Member

I just got wind of this. captainslug has put up a closed captioned jewtube of this.

I think it needs to be sub-titled into French, Hebrew, Hungarian, and Spanish. This is the best documentary so far.

Also, go watch it. It only has about 750 so far.
  25. indeedindeed Member

that's great, thanks a lot for the subtitles!

But I found something that really changes the meaning of the original and which wasn't in the drafts either: At around 22:45 Ursula Caberta is quoted concerning a death threat landing on the mayors PC with her name attached to it. She didn't say that, what she said -and it was also in the drafts that way- was that what one may have said the day before in a restaurant ends up on his computer the next day. Also, with the airport scene, they don't outright say that Scientology critics fear for their lifes, but that they live dangerous at times.
    And another things, which was my fault, is that Astrid von Rönn is quoted as having earned 30 to 60 Deutschmarks a week when in fact she said that she earned 60 to 80 Deutschmarks. I don't know why that mistake happened.
    Besides that, what I've seen so far, looks great!
  26. captainslug Member

Fixed on the youtube closed captioning.

here are the updated subtitle files to replace the torrent versions.
    http://www.captainslug.com/temp/sci/hirnwascher.srt
    http://www.captainslug.com/temp/sci/hirnwascher.ass
  27. indeedindeed Member

wow, quick reaction is very quick! I also updated the post you answered to because I found another mistake, which I introduced in the translation.
    Outstanding job with the subtitles!
  28. moarxenu Member

Awesome work, captainslug.

Anon delivers.

btw how did you get a 45 min vid up on jewtube?