Customize

Uploading Attachments and Donations

Discussion in 'Site News and Announcements' started by sue, Jun 12, 2012.

1. sue Administrator

This might not be a permanent feature, but it's worth giving a shot.

For quite some time, uploading files and pictures meant uploading to rapidshare, megaupload or various image hosting services. Often these files have come to expire, resulting in broken links, the requirement of repost, and an unfortunate lack in historical record.

You might wonder how this ties into the following, but hear this out: The current donation manager should give you a better idea of the flow of donations received by WWP. There's still a bug for donations made by guests, these (for now) need to be added manually, even tho a fix is being worked on as we speak.
    https://whyweprotest.net/community/donations/
    https://whyweprotest.net/community/donations/list

Notification and display of donation should be automatic.

Here's where the file attachments come in.

Hosting and serving attachments adds a little more costs to the current hosting needs, even if we honestly currently should have the capacity for it (within reason).

Everyone is as of now able to view attachments including mods, guests, logged in users etc. Those that donate $5 or more should within a few minutes of their donation be able to attach (up to 10 files of 10 mB) to each of their posts and private conversations, for 30 days.

Bear in mind that you have to be logged in for the transaction to be tied to your account, opting to 'hide my identity' should normally also not affect the transaction.

A limited roll out of this feature will allow to gauge interest, see where improvements could be made, whether it'd be higher file upload limits, higher ammounts, filetypes etc. It would also provide with a better estimate of what the total costs of enabling uploads to the entire community might represent short and long term, and whether the community is able and willing to cover the expenses.

Once uploaded, files should remain available as long as the site will be around, unforeseen circumstances omitted.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Kilia Member

Deleted by me..
  3. PresidentShaw Member

Q6feP.jpg
  4. Dragononymous Member

Keep in mind that upload functions on websites often get (ab)used to hack/deface/vandalise the website.
    (I'm not saying this is a terribly wrong and ridiculously stupid idea that never should've been brought up in the first place. I'm just warning you about the possible abuse of the idea in case you, while in a tunnel vision, forgot about it. You're a good admin, I'm just playing the backup safety control role again)
  5. sue Administrator

Uploads are validated, but if it reassures you i'll double check permissions in the data folders, and triple check that php-fpm is forbidden from running any scripts near such folders.

That's what you were asking right?
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Dragononymous Member

I was just asking you to keep yourself (and us) safe.
    Thanks.
  7. sue Administrator

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Dragononymous Member

I'll shut up for the next few days...
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Kilia Member

How do I upload a pic from my computer?
    The pic thingy only says to "enter image URL".
  10. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

10 Internets says you won't.

Then again if you do: Who's gonna keep me in check?

Good idea as long as nobody does what Dragon is trying to express: Act like raving faggottards and use it for malicious intents.
  11. Kilia Member

So how do I attach a file, she wants to know.
  12. Anonymous Member

See this?
    Screenshot from 2012-06-13 12:42:55.png
  13. Dragononymous Member

Yeah no-one has been trying to do THAT lately.
    Everyone on this planet <3 WWP
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Kilia Member

No..I don''t have that showing.
  15. Kilia Member

UPDATE: I now saw the upload button on other threads, but not this one.
  16. sue Administrator

And in conversations?
  17. Anonymous Member

Donate gets me to a page that says something in French and it doesn't look happy. Can I donate w a credit card and not paypal?
  18. sue Administrator

Hi, ATM only paypal is supported. Could you try again and let me know if it's still in French?

Using a creditcard processor is a good idea, however it ads additional costs, and would require additional development time, as would it likely require some paperwork. I'm fine with doing that, but it's not something for the very near future.
  19. Anonymous Member

Votre dernière action n'a pas pu être terminée

Si vous étiez en train d'effectuer un achat ou d'envoyer de l'argent, nous vous conseillons de vérifier votre compte PayPal et vos emails dans 30 minutes pour vous assurer que la transaction a bien été effectuée.
    Si vous êtes parvenu sur cette page à partir d'un autre site, veuillez retourner sur ce site et reprendre votre opération.
  20. Kilia Member

There is a long dropdown list of countries on the donate page that will have it in other languages including United States. It's there, just have to keep scrolling until the words "United States" shows up.
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Anonymous Member

22. sue Administrator

Translates to:

Raised a ticket with developer and will open one with paypal now. Guest donations still seem to work, (knock wood). You can donate directly to ppal2u@gmail.com if you make mention of your username and whether you want it to be a anonymous or public donation I should be able to add those manually.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
  23. Anonymous Member

I got further as a guest but still don't know if it went thru. "Your account information has changed" So if it went thru plz change to 'anonymous donation'
  24. sue Administrator

Ok, the error message issues should be resolved, you should also no longer see the paypal confirmation page in Moonspeak (unless you really want to).
  25. Anonymous Member

$400 per month? WTF? Shouldn't that be per year? Hmmmmmm.
  26. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

I wonder what I would get if I (could...but can't :( ) donate $400 every month?

Besides:
    • The loads of butthurt jelly from the rest of the community.
    • The continuous, uninterrupted pearls of wisdom from Herro, Shaw, Adhoc, and the rest of the wise ones here.
    • The enduring scorn from people who say I have too much money to spend. (To which I don't have and would love to be in that situation...)
    • The feeling I get knowing I am keeping a great site running.
    • The butthurt and mad for doing it and the laughs I have at them...While I smoke a big fat one while reading it.
    Just wondering....
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  27. Dragononymous Member

Me
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  28. Anonymous Member

$400 isn't much, but sowing seeds of doubt is free...
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  29. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

I already covered you when I said:

You == Wise one.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  30. Dragononymous Member

Don't make me laugh...
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  31. sue Administrator

All excellent points.
    Yes, per month.

In the period of late 2008 to early 2009 it cost more or less 800 euro a month.
    Early 2009 to late 2011 (omitting server purchase cost) running wwp cost $250 a month to the community, while for a better portion of that time often inefficient ddos mitigation ($500/mo) was covered for by an anonymous donor.
    Since late 2011 many improvements have been made to ensure: uptime, availability, security and backups. You tell me the last time you remember wwp being offline for prolonged periods of time, as it used to go down for sometimes days on end.

There have been two unforeseen down time events that lasted an hour in one case: a faulty compute node, locking reboots in the middle of an upgrade.
    A more recent event where the network san failed, locked the disks and caused to us give or take 2 hours of down time.

Normally, scheduled downtime takes anywhere between 5 to 10 minutes, you most of the time don't even notice it.

Considering that, days worth of downtime due to ddos while we were paying out of the nose for mitigation, and daily 1hour backup downtime are a thing of the past, all of this at a lesser cost than the collocation and mitigation costs wwp incurred. $400 a month is more than reasonable, for the quality of service wwp now both aims to provide and receives.

Ofcourse, WWP could be stuck on a $25/month bottom of the line OVH dedicated server. This however would mean: frequent downtime because of routing, network congestion, this would mean horrible page load speeds because of poor if not non existing transit, this would mean having to do backups the poor mans way, locking the database, and I don't Know, maybe download them to my laptop or something? This would mean no SLA, no uptime guarantee, no service. This would mean relying on a single harddrive, meaning that if backups failed, can't be imported or what ever, 4 years of blood sweat and tears are lost.

So no, I rather sleep at night, knowing the server infrastructure is managed by competent individuals that are available within minutes 24/7. Knowing that wwp tranquilly is spun up from a hardened raid 60 san, that hot backups are done continuously (raid is not a backup). Knowing that we're within one of the faster, resilient and available networks on this planet (yey internap). Most of all knowing that the amount of thought, effort, and energy that is put into maintaining this site, does not go unappreciated by those that don't question every single move or detail.

Thank you.

For those that are skeptical: last months invoice.
    output.ps-page1.jpg output.ps-page2.jpg output.ps-page3.jpg
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  32. Kilia Member

Considering what WWP now has a good guarantee uptime and attack resistence, etc , this is a good price. <Trufax> Always remember my anons, good things don't come cheap.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  33. Anonymous Member

What Sue said. $25 a month is great for a personal blog site or a small forum. $400 is pretty cheap for a site like WWP and the place runs better than sites I've been on which were owned by big companies. That's before you even begin to count the hours of work on the tech stuff behind the scenes, which is done for free.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  34. Kilia Member

Hmm..I went to the Paypal donate thingy again and it's ALL in French now. Can't read it anymore, so I guess I can't donate again. *sigh*
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  35. Anonymous Member

I battled through the French version today. What little French I could read, and the absence of anything in the way of fields or sentences highlighted in RED, I figured it was all a go and the end note was the system issuing a "Thank You" in English.

Furthermore, it is only June! Wait for July! ;)
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  36. Kilia Member

I'm really sorry, but I don't habla Francais. Will July be any better for English speaking people?
    ..why is it in only French anyways? What happened to being able to choose what language we speak like before?
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  37. sue Administrator

The merchant account is registered to a French bank account. Paypal forces those pages in French, I had set a flag for the pages to show up in English, but apparently this changed to country names now. Pages should (since 5 minutes ago) show in English until paypal decides to change something again.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  38. Anonymous Member

I blame it on the Russians. Dunno why. Just do.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  39. Anonymous Member

Humm... guess Harold Hinkubah is having their period. Why you so mad and butthurt bro? Premenstrual cramps?
  40. Anonymous Member

Plz explain what is wrong with having premenstrual cramps.