Customize

UK press release for approval by everyone

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by Theanonymoustipster, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Good! Sending it now...
  2. Just one small point here, I believe that the term is homophobe rather than homophobic.

For example, you would say that L. Ron. Hubbard exhibited many homophobic characteristics. When used in the context you have here you should say: L. Ron Hubbard, was an active homophobe

EDIT: Also, I will again be putting together press packs for the protest and will properly format the press release here for inclusion.
  3. Yes I wondered that but the spell checker was like "No mo fo! hell no, that aint right!"
  4. rasputin Member

on the lesbian issue:

the Church's anti-gay policy doesn't necessarily mean there are no homosexuals in the CoS, only that they would have to remain in the closet for fear of expulsion, RPF, "ethics," etc. This is especially so for those raised in the cult - while someone who was gay would/could be put off joining due to the cult's stance on homosexuality, it's not unreasonable to assume there's at least a few people born into the CoS who are also gay. yet another way they destroy peoples' identity - make them repress their sexuality. similarly I'd imagine the church would downplay the homophobia angle until the new members are locked in, by which point they're unlikely to leave but get a metric fuckton of guilt over their sexual "crimes."

(This is just speculation on my part of course and could be totally wrong.)

it seems more than a little naive to assume because the CoS has an anti-gay policy there are no gays or lesbians in (or who left) the cult. it's got quite a "there are no homosexuals in Iran" overtone to it tbh. apologies if I'm misreading comments here...

has anyone posted this on the Exscn forum? I don't have an account there but wouldn't mind signing up to ask for this.

and nice work on the press releases :).
  5. endCOSsoon Member

Also OCMB.

I'd like to echo everything you've said rasputin.
  6. I posted on the ex-sci forum, made a plea for any britfags to make themselves known to us. And whilst you are of course right rasputin, it doesn't solve the immediate lack of known ex-sci lesbians
  7. Raksha Member

Re: UK press release for approval by everyone

Have we got whyweprotest.net on the press release? Its a really nice clear website that's better then Xenu.net for layman IMHO.

Just a thought.
  8. Re: UK press release for approval by everyone

No, but nor was Xenu.net - I just had links to the londonlulz wiki, a couple of youtube videos including the Operation Reconnect one I really like (The one with the spotlight and the testiomonies...) and then here.
  9. Raksha Member

Youtube and LLulz is good, i just thought it might be a good idea to have a fairly consise guide to both us and Co$ too (thought I know LLulz is good).

Kudos for getting it up though, its a well written statement.
  10. endCOSsoon Member

Just a thought tipster. Did you suggest a lesbian anon to that journalist? She might find that of use.
  11. Re: UK press release for approval by everyone

Yeh I said we have plenty of anon willing to speak out, as well as ex-sci's - didn't specify lesbian but said if she was still interested in persuing the matter then we would see what we could do for her. Im just hoping we get some responses from the more mainstream press come tuesday. Curse this 4 day weekend!!!
  12. mudkipstoat23 Member

That's the trouble with spellcheckers- there IS such as a word as "homophobic", so it ain't gonna pull you up on it. The one you needed, however, was "homophobe".

Liking the rest of the wording, though.
  13. Protonymous Member

Just a heads up for future correspondence re:Lesbians and CoS. On page 3 of Kendra's story on ESK she mentions being written up by a SeaOrg member and disciplined for the first and only time she kissed another woman at a party. While not a lesbian herself, this is a documented incident of institutional homophobia and in the grander scheme of things pertains to Operation Reconnect.
  14. endCOSsoon Member

Above is the piece that proto is talking about, the link to that page is here:
    http://www.exscientologykids.com/kendra3.html

tipster, it would be well worth your while dashing off another email to that journalist with this. If nothing else it will encourage him or her to keep an eye on the issue.
  15. Protonymous Member

Further to that, from watching 'The Bridge', "Have you ever practiced homosexuality?" and "Have you ever consistently made a practice of sex with a member of your own sex?" appear to be sec-check questions. Can anyone verify that?
  16. Re: UK press release for approval by everyone

Yeh your right endCOSsoon, thats worth an email. Can we confirm what Protonymous said?
  17. Re: UK press release for approval by everyone

Placeholder draft. Awaiting confirmation of the check questions. The quote is in a quote box, and "source" is a link to the page
  18. endCOSsoon Member

tipster, you are already in conversation with that journalist so I would advise a more informal style. Something like:

Dear whoever,

I've done a bit more research and it turns out...

Send her the link to the esk page as well.

Maybe add a brief (one sentence) explanation of who Sea Org are.

Don't add the sec check stuff unless you get strong confirmation, i.e. pix of original docs not forum posts.

Don't worry about doing a group email for lots of people, they won't understand the context. Concentrate on following up on the lead that you have.

Great stuff btw.

As you can see from the following thread I'm working on consolidating a number of relevant stories into one email which I'll send out in a week or so to the UK LGBT press. If nothing else having this journalist is a win.

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/showthread.php?t=4792&highlight=tatchell
  19. Re: UK press release for approval by everyone

I'm not really with one journalist - the address is that of the newsdesk. point taken though.
  20. Protonymous Member

21. Re: UK press release for approval by everyone

Ok, explained SeaOrg and OSA (for good measure). Also, threw the journo's name in there as well.

Something else struck me actually... That contact list I've been working from - there are no newspapers!!! I'm ashamed I didn't see before. I'm compiling a list of tabloids now.
  22. endCOSsoon Member

Proto, I really think the best thing is just a quick reply from tipster to that newsdesk. They specifically requested a UK ex scn lesbian. We can't supply that but this is pretty close. Best to contact them with this while the iron is still hot.

I'll look into the sec check stuff for the letter I'm writing.
  23. endCOSsoon Member

don't bother explaining the OSA, they are not mentioned in the quote. Bear in mind, the person you are writing to is not as familiar with this material as you are. Best to spoon feed them the details, one at a time.

Journo's name, good, keeps it personal.
  24. Protonymous Member

Fair point. Good luck with the letter!
  25. Re: UK press release for approval by everyone

Ok, sent her the letter ages ago - OSA was in it, but only as a side note thing. Newspapers ---- some are easy to contact (like the times), others just don't want you to bother them (The telegraph) and some think your stupid (The Mail had a list of people like "news" "editor" "features" etc etc... you look at the email address that clicking them links to, they are all the same!!!)

I'm sending the press release to them now...
  26. Re: UK press release for approval by everyone

Hmm yes that is good. Well, will serve us well for the next one!
  27. Re: UK press release for approval by everyone

I've probably missed the boat for comments/criticizms already, but It's WAAAAAY too London-centric. There are protests in manchester, birmingham, brighton, edinburgh etc etc, why didn't you include those?
  28. Re: UK press release for approval by everyone

Because the majority numbers will be in London. I was also under the impression most areas would be sending out localcentric press releases too, with this one being sent to everyone