Customize

UK Government urges councils to stop giving tax breaks to scientology. WINRAR!!

Discussion in 'Scientology Property Tax' started by Sponge, Oct 15, 2010.

1. RolandRB Member

Re: UK Government urges councils to stop giving tax breaks to scientology. WINRAR!!

Fuck knows what the local authority solicitors are thinking. Did they not read the full Charity Commission decision of 1999? You have an organisation set up to spread the word of Scientology and they do so mostly by auditing and training for those with the money. Trouble is, Scientology is not a religion in the case of English charity law so that means they are not a religion and so not for the advancement of religion but since they have this structure it can not also be exclusively set up for other beneficial purposes in the community. And again, they mostly audit and train for those with the money so they can never be of public benefit. And the Charity commission is the highest authoritiy below the courts. So how the fuck do these local authoritiy solicitors come up with decisions that trump the Charity Commission decision?

I told the Charity Commission about the existence of "Errors in the Charity Commission Decision on the Church of Scientology (England and Wales)" that the clams were using to get charitable rates relief by the back door and got a response but I don't know if it helped.
  2. RolandRB Member

Re: UK Government urges councils to stop giving tax breaks to scientology. WINRAR!!

Central government have come to the rescue like the cavalry BUT......

I just thought I would point out that if central government had responded to the request sent to them by the CoL and pledged their support and pointed out the blindingly obvious fact that they had no business going against the Charity Commission decision in any case then the clams would have lost their mandatory rates relief at 146 QVS two years ago and Westminster might have followed suit and Sunderland would never have granted it this year.

Anybody want to excoriate them? I am sure you could throw in the word "torpitude" somewhere. I like that word.
  3. Sponge Member

I'm wondering about the possibility that if the councils that gave rates relief sucessfully reverse it, and if it was determined that the cult KNEW that it falsley declared COSRECI was a charitable organisation when it applied, then could those councils use that as grounds, under existing buisness rates rules, to claw back the past uncharged relief over time by ramping up the current rates bill (because it wasn't the councils fault that they were led up the garden path)? Or will the council just be happy that they won, call it evens, and not bother collecting previous uncharged tax?
    As you've said before though, the important thing first is to get that tax relief pulled asap.
  4. RolandRB Member

Central government should be stepping in to give clear directions on what to do to clean up this mess and not just "urging" local authorities using a press release and not even bothering to update their web site. Local authorities get an automatic email when it gets updated but it hasn't been updated for this Scientology thing. See for yourself. It looks like Pickles released a puff piece just to deflect possible criticism from the government and the local authorities in reality are not required to do a thing.

http://www.communities.gov.uk/corporate/whatsnew
  5. Re: UK Government urges councils to stop giving tax breaks to scientology. WINRAR!!

Job well done UK Anons!
  6. Sponge Member

Roland, you forget that Pickles sent that very specific message to the general public too you know. So if you feel that there is any inaction then he can be called out on it. This is not some woffle on a sofa on sunday morning breakfast TV.

Inaction on something so specific equates to a u-turn.
    U-turn = politician's kryptonite.

I think the national press should do a follow-up, go to those councils who have given rates relief to the cult and say, "well, what are you gonna do now?". you know, put them on the spot.
  7. RolandRB Member

There is nothing on the Communities and Local Government web site about this so it looks like nothing was sent to the local authorities. It's no good the national press going to thse councils and saying "what are you gonna do now?" because their response will be "what are you talking about - nobody has said anything to us".

What's new - Corporate - Communities and Local Government
  8. Anonymous Member

9. Sponge Member

Oh well fuck it then. Lets all wrap up.

Look, we have some motivation from a senior figure in central government. His statement to the media came out on a friday. It is only monday morning. There is no need to draw inferences based on something not appearing on some website.
  10. RolandRB Member

The local authorities can not respond to a Guardian article in which Pickles has alleged to have stated this. They will need an official notification and so far it isn't there.
  11. charlie Member

Early days Roland calm down.
  12. Sponge Member

13. AnotherSock Member

^ Nice one!

I wonder what's been going on in that hamster wheel that John Wood keeps between his ears, these last few days?

Also, magnificent timing, this being announced while Tiny Dave was in town. I wonder how many of the 'faithful' he punched? I reckon we'll find out soon enough, via Marty. If you don't blow when the leader of your "church" assaults you, you have no balls and no self-respect. If you let this continue, you truly are a degraded being.
  14. Anonymous Member

I like "turpitude".
  15. RolandRB Member

16. RolandRB Member

There are grounds for this because if this hit the news on Friday then there are bound to be enquiries to the four district councils (local authorities) who have granted rates relief on the Monday morning and if they have not been officially told then that puts them in a difficult position.
  17. Sponge Member

That's the same article that was previously dated 16th October. Same as the one in big list in the OP, posted up here yesterday or the day before. They've just changed the date to the 18th and changed the London reference to Sunderland....

Before:
    Communities Secretary Eric Pickles has urged councils, including two in London, not to give special tax breaks running into hundreds of thousands of pounds to the Church of Scientology.

After:
    Communities Secretary Eric Pickles has urged councils, including one in Sunderland, not to give special tax breaks running into hundreds of thousands of pounds to the Church of Scientology.

Well, yes, and we have also seen how slow and evasive some local councils can be when formulating responses even when they do know what's going on. Also, if I was a journalist then I'd also want to give the cult a chance to respond to that response (and I don't think that'll be instant especially on this crucial issue of the tax exemption holy grail). So I think you'd be hard pushed to see anything in any great detail today from any of the councils concerned with this. But keep your eyes peeled.
  18. Sponge Member

19. RolandRB Member

20. Cudgel Member

132612.gif
  21. Sponge Member

I think it's one of those sites that lets you see the article one time and then blocks it on subsequent visits with a subscription notice (and it might be country sensitive too).
    Dont't get too excited worry there's nothing amazing in it (running the same press release) and I don't even know what size the readership of this "Local Government Chronicle" is.

Here's the copy anyway....

22. RolandRB Member

I guess some of the news media will be chasing this up with the four local authorities and we should hear something back in a few days.
  23. Rockyj Member

The cult brought epic negative attention themselves as a result of their response to the Stupid Scientology tweet & Sweeny helped close the deal. The cult keeps exposing itself to what it is;
    a cult.
    Attack never defend does not work anymore & they're too dumb to notice.
  24. DeathHamster Member

Turning off cookies might let you back in.
  25. Anonymous Member

The site is a paid subscription site which means it is surprising it let you in the first time.
  26. Anonymous Member

His department could offer to be co-defendent (with the local authorities) if sued by Scientology.

This is what Camden and City of London asked his department to do (under the previous government). They said no at that time. Now we can press for them to say yes.
  27. JaggedAnon Member

Awesome! Less funding for them, another win for anons everywhere :D
  28. xenubarb Member

I like torpor, since I'm often in one.
  29. Anonymous Member

The previous government seem like a bunch of pansies
  30. Anonymous Member

True.

Although TBF the decision (first time round) almost certainly didn't make it as high up as a minister.
  31. Pigeon Member

YES. FUCKING YES. Those fucking tories! First they oppose net monitoring, and now this. Stop being nice and let us hate you properly.
  32. Anonymous Member

That is a bit of a problem.

Still, we'll always have Question Time.

YouTube - Eric Pickles on Question Time 26/03/09
  33. xoixoi1 Member

Thats a good one. I don't know if its because I'm getting older or because the Libdems are influencing them but I'm finding it rather hard to hate much about the current government.
  34. Anonymous Member

If only Angry Gay Pope could have trampled them.
  35. Anonymous Member

We missed this one I think. It's pre-Pickles.

Argus Lite, 7 Oct 2010
    Full rate cult
    Roy Pennington

36. Anonymous Member

also

The Curmudgeon: Targeting Charity

(wall-of-text is sic)
  37. Bluebell Member

Cut into smaller bites

38. xenubarb Member

Fodder for Freedumb Magazine's "special Pickles issue?"
  39. Re: UK Government urges councils to stop giving tax breaks to scientology. WINRAR!!

I envision a near future where all your work exposing Narconon in Canada seriously hurts their public benefit claims elsewhere in the world. It is possible that the dominoes are indeed falling... Then again OCMB has been saying that for a decade.
  40. RolandRB Member

Still nothing on the Communities and Local Government website about this so might it be the case that something was sent round but to people at a higher level such as the finance committee, treasurer or comptroller or such like? Birmingham *appears* to have answered a question about it but who and in what department?