Customize

UK Government urges councils to stop giving tax breaks to scientology. WINRAR!!

Discussion in 'Scientology Property Tax' started by Sponge, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

Re: UK Government urges councils to stop giving tax breaks to scientology. WINRAR!!

[IMG]

Alison Hargreaves - from the wonderful website scientology-london.com, which is clearly NOT a clam run operation, LOL.

Scientology works and it helps people look like they've been whacked with the ugly stick.
  2. jensting Member

Re: UK Government urges councils to stop giving tax breaks to scientology. WINRAR!!

^^This. Very much

The people who teamed up on this did well.

Best Regards

Jens
  3. RightOn Member

I also think that the fact that they had to "bus in" participants to the IAS ball last year ( and prolly this year) is VERY TELLIING. I find this little gem a very juicy tidbit that should be exploited more.
    A "religion" that pays non members to attend their events so they can look successful... but yet they don't provide any public benefit to the UK.

Ha! unless COS counts this as a public benefit! (by providing employment to UK residents once a year) LOL!!!!

It should be pointed out to UK officials that COS is fleecing it's members by providing a look of crowded attendance so they will be tricked into giving COS more money.

Marty provided a casting call copy from last year on his blog.
  4. Re: UK Government urges councils to stop giving tax breaks to scientology. WINRAR!!

Buildings change between private and business use all the time and to have two separate bureaucracies taxing them would be wasteful. Thus local authorities pass the business rates cash to central government, then get it back in a government grant that gives more to poor areas than rich ones.

The obvious disadvantage is that, as in our case, local authorities are distanced from the money flow and feel less inclined to take action against tax dodgers. Mr Pickles has now reminded them about their statutory duty in this regard, and that he can throw some bad PR their way of the Daily Mail kind if they don't get off their butts.
  5. RolandRB Member

We don't know what Pickles exactly said or sent to local authorities or how much emphasis, weight or authority it had. He may have sent them nothing but rather make the government's position clear in a statement he knows they will get. A sort of cop-out by the government so people could not blame the government for taking food out of the mouths of babes while at the same time local authorities throw bagfulls of cash at the local Church of Scientology. On the other hand it could have been along the lines of an edict though I don't know if central government can issue edicts in such a way.

So what do you all think? Cop out or edict? Which is closer to the truth?
  6. BlooAnon Member

7. RolandRB Member

She looks like a nice person to me.
  8. RolandRB Member

Where is that place? I don't recognise it.
  9. Intelligence Member

This IS awesome news indeed! I'm Big Time Happy Camper.

Amazing.

C'mon North America,....., Let's "Rock N' Roll" and squeeze their little "Nutties" :)
  10. DeathHamster Member

Somewhere en Quebec. (Driving on the right, depanneur, snow, etc.) It's not the Montreal or Quebec City Idle org, so I guess Montreal's current org.
  11. Intelligence Member

Yes, downtown Montreal I was there yesterday for a protest.

On Papineau Street. It was busy there yesterday. A guy from OSA was there.
  12. Random guy Member

With the wording that was either given in interview or as a press release by MP Pickles, the tone en camera was probably every bit as stern, and probably quite more so.
  13. RolandRB Member

I wonder, in the case of the City of London Corporation, whether central government would be willing to help them stop the mandatory rates relief on 146 QVS or whether this is just central government blustering with no actual commitment. Any ideas on how to move on this?
  14. RolandRB Member

Do you mean he is on video saying this? I find nothing on YouTube. If "in camera" meaning "in private" then we will never know.
  15. Random guy Member

Yes, I meant en camera in as in the legal sense. No, we won't ever know what he said (or perhaps will be saying) to the people in CoL directly, but I am fairly sure they sanitize their language for the press.
  16. RolandRB Member

If he was so concerned then why the fuck wasn't CoL's call for help heeded yonks ago?

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/NR/r...-4AED-9C50-F5064030DEC0/0/AU_Letter120809.pdf
  17. Anonymous Member

She is defending the UFO cult, and doing so on public news channels, trying to hide the facts that anyone with a brain and an internet connection can discover about the true nature of the cult within minutes.

So she isn't a nice person, she's a liar, and she helps cover up the abuses.

And her eyes are mistrustful, her nose is a big squashy lump, and I would imagine her to be a dull empty husk of a human being.
  18. Anonymous Member

Can someone please explain to a Yank what a communities Secretary (pickles) job is and what authority he has ?

The stories say he asked some form of government(s) to stop giving tax breaks to Scientology, this sounds good but because I don't understand the UK government I have absolutely no idea what it means.
  19. RolandRB Member

He is the highest authority in central government for local authorities plus he is a cabinet minister. But nobody yet knows if he can order local government what to do or if he has done that in this case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretary_of_State_for_Communities_and_Local_Government

http://www.communities.gov.uk/corporate/newsroom/ministers/
  20. RolandRB Member

I'd need a bigger photo of her before I could make a judgment on that.
  21. Anonymous Member

Thanks, so local authority collects taxes and pays them to the local government for things like property (i assume) and maybe some kind of sales tax on products (?)

So a scenario would be that they have to pay full tax on their property, orgs, missions, and east grinstad manors, be charged a tax on books etc (do I have this right ?)

Would tax advantages for donations in the form of contributions as well as fixed donations for auditing also be taxed ?
  22. greebly Member

It's politics based on public opinion, he is stating some general guidelines for them I'm failry sure that is all he can do at this point.

Harpooning examples of various criteria to various authorities is a good task.

eg: Does over 75% of the "membership" live within that cachment area?
    Are "membership" fees over £100?
    Are the facilities fully accesseble and usable by local community groups?

And so on.

Alot of this was discussed in the previous thread Roland worked on but focusing and summarizing key points relating to:

community
    local residents
    local groups
    attributable costs(policing, waste removal, recycling etc.)
    public benefit to that actual community
    accoutability
    transparency
    other financial support

So mandatory relief runs for 5 years unless reviewed especially, so some general review from central govt. on this matter could constitue such a review.
  23. greebly Member

Secondly how many times have "stress test" tables acted outside of local authority guidelines and trading licenses over atleast the last 3 years?
  24. Anonymous Member

This is all completely overrated. It is just the opinion of ONE fucking minister who has been "lobbied" by mass harpoons masquerading as "public opinion". This can all be easily shown to be so.

Learn to read before you rejoice. Like all the other blather about the Russian books being banned - all fail & premature "victory" that is highly unlikely to coming knowing the Clams legal arsenal.
  25. RolandRB Member

He is the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government

These are the sort of powers he can wield when the occasion demands it.
    http://www.communities.gov.uk/news/localgovernment/1541748

But I don't see this Scientology announcement on their own web site:
    http://www.communities.gov.uk/corporate/whatsnew
  26. greebly Member

Awesome trolls have turned up now:)
    It's nice when they don't know the full story;p
  27. Intelligence Member

They are getting their arse kicked all over the World. I Love it :)
  28. RolandRB Member

I think Pickles should be given his own slot on RFW after this.
  29. Crappy Member

Man, when was the last time we heard from them.. I mean, him?
  30. RightOn Member

I swear on a stack of bacon...
    yesterday I dropped a jar of pickles on my toe in the store.
    it hurt like hell....
    but I consider it a sign
    Pickles will help crush the cult! lol
  31. Rockyj Member

WELL son of a....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P49sLoe6H8&feature=related]YouTube - Porky pig swearing[/ame]

It's about time!
    NOW USA!!

Right On & just a few others have started working on this project which I have NO doubt that if USA citizens had FACTUAL information re: the amount of TAX MONEY the cult of Scientology would owe us (USA CITIZENS) if not for the sleazy back room deal that gave the cult tax exempt status, they would not be happy! Especially in this economic climate! Please HELP WITH THIS PROJECT!

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/329-scientology-property-tax/scientologys-us-tax-exempt-properties-71490/
  32. Anonymous Member

The CoL either deliberately forgot to mention the 1999 Charities Commission decision in their request, or forgot about it (which would be unbelievable) - either way the City should be giving their in-house solicitor Mr Colvin a kicking.

I doubt that Scientology was on Pickles radar previously. We hadn't targeted him at all. Two things have happened recently that may have woken him up:

This FOI Scientology rates relief - WhatDoTheyKnow

And this email to his departmental solicitor per the other thread:
    But nothing is achieved yet - having a minister on our side is likely to make the Judicial Review go easier - more chance of getting some pro-bono interest, more change of getting a cost-protection order etc.
  33. AnonyVix Member

For the record I and I believe many others here were against the Russian action; we don't want Hubbard's books to become some kind of forbidden fruit, rather we want them recognised for the fruit loops they contain which cannot readily happen if they are banned. That said like many I celebrated because it reflected not only the desire of the people but also the fact that the people were aware enough of the truth about the cult of scientology to have the desire to ban its teachings.

I am however very much for implementing a charities commission in Australia with a benefits test. I am also for clamping down on tax concessions although I believe there is a lot more work still to do and not just with local authorities. And while there may be the odd set back it's all going in the right direction and will continue to do so because it is the right direction and now it has drive behind it thanks to all those now ready and willing to stand up and protest.

As to lobbying and public opinion that's the fuel of the democratic system. :eek:
  34. Anonymous Member

Quoting some relevant bits from the response to WTs FOI req to Pickles department:

Given the first, it would appear that Pickles has no power to make the councils to do anything re cult rates bills - all he can do is make his opinion known, as he now has. It's up to us to push through and execute on the second bit.
  35. AnonyVix Member

^^^^
    THIS work needs to continue IMHO.

The cult does not deserve the tax breaks they get so there has to be a way to exclude them while not excluding legitimate charitable organisations.

Also think greater accountability is needed, the fact COSRECI seems to have gone unaudited for so long because they claimed to be a foreign (Australian) charity is a massive loop hole IMHO and demonstrates a real need to tighten such things up so legal changes are needed too.
  36. Intelligence Member

No, they don't deserve tax breaks; they should be taxed extra for the burden and costs to the judicial and health agencies.
  37. RightOn Member

Thank you Rocky, I have been begging for halp for a few weeks now.

AUSSIES WHERE ARE YOU? WHERE IS YOUR COS PROPERTY TAX EXEMPT THREAD??

Worked on the EX List today and found 89 new names! YAY!
    This week coming up will work on the Tax Exempt list again.
    Can use some halp!
  38. supafreak Member

[IMG]
  39. grebe Member

Wait, Harry Potter is a Scientologist?
  40. grebe Member