Customize

UK Government urges councils to stop giving tax breaks to scientology. WINRAR!!

Discussion in 'Scientology Property Tax' started by Sponge, Oct 15, 2010.

1. RolandRB Member

Re: UK Government urges councils to stop giving tax breaks to scientology. WINRAR!!

I have contacted Mid Sussex District Council who have St. Hill in their ward but they don't tell me anything and I don't know what to ask them that they can yield in a FOI request. I think now we don't need it with this Pickles thing (not Judge Pickles I would point out).

Still don't know what to do. I will have to mull this over for a while.
  2. Anonymous Member

Re: UK Government urges councils to stop giving tax breaks to scientology. WINRAR!!

What do you think of some raidfags protesting outside of say camden town hall ?
  3. RolandRB Member

No, not CAMDEN. They are taking the clams to court and we should be supporting them.
  4. Sponge Member

Yes, and he's not even dead either. That's why I included the other link.
  5. Triumph Member

I noticed a clam hit the comments on the London Daily News..spreading the not so good works of Flubbard
    with false clam PR

http://www.thelondondailynews.com/scientologists-saving-nearly-london-rate-relief-camden-tight-lipped-p-4609.html

http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/stats/by-name/a/alison-hargreaves.html

some one would point out the major flaws there ?

their shady behavior on the sept 7 effort.. being asked to leave during 9-11..etc etc etc
  6. xenubarb Member

You can do a raid of support, yanno.
  7. Anonymoosh Member

Precisely 'Camden council DoinItRite'

point being, Pickles said there was 'public interest' support them, show them there is, and offer help if they want it.
  8. Anonymous Member

Ok how's about raiding westminster town hall then ?
  9. Sponge Member

I wonder if the cult will baaww to the US State Department (who maintains the their armchair annual report on how they think every other country should or shouldn't treat religions, pseudo-religions, and their exported moonbat cults) and then send the US Ambassador to baaww to Eric Pickles and threaten him. You know, like they did in Germany when a local politician had a warning sign put up outside one of the cult buildings.
  10. Anonymous Member

I had the same thought.
  11. RolandRB Member

It might work for Germany but the UK would just fart in their face. Those fucking colonials should never have rebelled against the Realm.
  12. xenubarb Member

Hey, thanks to that rebellion WE DRINK COLD BEER!!!

And baked beans on toast is just an urban legend in Cali. So is your weird jarred toast spread.
  13. Anonymous Member

IMO, for what it's worth:

• Best place for a raid: City of London Corporation HQ, teh Guildhall.
      Guildhall location
      because City of London gives Scientology by far the biggest tax break.

• Best place for a supportive flash raid ASAP: outside Eric Pickles's office.
      Eland House
      Bressenden Place
      London
      SW1E 5DU
      Might even be able to tempt some TV media from Parliament, it's just down the road.

• Best thing to do from home.
      Complain to each of the local authorities concerned.
      Lay out the evidence that Scientology is 'not for public benefit' and in fact is harmful to the public. Request a reply by a specific date, otherwise you'll take your complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman. Then actually do take your complaint to the LGO.

• Most useful research at the moment
      Connection between Narconon and Scientology. I see some docs in this thread, which look really good, but more would be better - specifically we need Narconon UK docs.

so if anyone fancies doing any of those things then please go for it. We could also do with a wiki-update with all the latest press reports.

- WT.
  14. Re: UK Government urges councils to stop giving tax breaks to scientology. WINRAR!!

15. Anonymous Member

Hey we drink cold beer, we also floss our teeth and we actually wash our private parts! That's what the bidet is for!
  16. Anonymous Member

'Pooned.

Next? Well, next I suppose I have to follow up on the (several) MPs I wrote to about the Cult's tax-free operations on their turf...
  17. xoixoi1 Member

Today for the first time in years, I am proud to be called a Britfag. We need to strike while the iron is hot. I can think of no better time than now to approach local government. With all the cutbacks, it would be outrageous to continue giving tax breaks to this cult. Build the pressure. Starve your grannie if you have to and then take a pic to send to a local paper complaining how your gran can't afford to eat but you local council continues to give tax allowances to a UFO space alien cult without charitable status in this country. I dare you.
  18. Anonymous Member

So strike.

Apart from City of London (which I've done, and progressed it to the Ombudsman), all the other local authorities still need complaining to.

Go right ahead.
  19. The Wrong Guy Member

There are four comments there now, with the second Scientologist being the noted windbag Louanne Lee.

Here's a search for Louanne Lee and Scientology.
  20. Anonymous Member

Bollocks. Read the verdict and you would see that the law change had no impact on that verdict, nor the reasoning behind it. Stop spreading this talking point because it simply isn't true.
  21. DeathHamster Member

22. Shinythings Member

fucking win!
  23. Anonymous Member

hear, hear!
  24. Sponge Member

25. Anonymous Member

We carry on as we were, especially with the Judicial Review preparation.

I think you have greatly overestimated this announcement, and read all sorts of speculation into it Roland. It is exactly what it says it is - hopefully the councils will listen, it certainly carries weight, but they are not obliged to.

ENOUGH! You have absolutely no evidence of this, and yet you keep spouting it. Others in this thread who have not been in the others are assuming that since you say it, it must be true. STOP!
  26. Anonymous Member

27. DeathHamster Member

28. AnonyVix Member

Yeah I know, its all historical. Organised religion was the earliest form of controlling* the people other than outright force, politics comes a close second - the Greeks had gods and organised religion before democracy. The military, outright force, is the third way of controlling people and perhaps the oldest; if they weren't building empires they were building temples all of which was the focus of society. There has always been a tension between the three, all have their uses and can be abused.

You can see the tension between the various factions in places like Iran. The current "elected" leader is only "elected" because he is favoured by the military and the religious groups.

Strangely the film Team America summed it up quite well with the pussies, arse holes and dicks analogy. While I cannot be sure which of the three relates to the pussy, arse hole or dick I believe the Canadians may be on to something.

Much as I'd like the human race to evolve away from organised religion it still has its place providing positive guidance to those who need it, precisely the people that scientology and others exploit; when we evolve away from the need for organised religion** then cults will also be a thing of the past.

*Controlling has negative connotations but in this context it is more about motivating the people in order to preserve and promote stability and progress which ought to be in the best interests of all.

**organised religion is all about control. If there is a God and he is truly omnipotent and ultimately wise, which by definition he should be, then he will be less concerned with how you worshipped him, how often you went to church or whether you had bad thoughts than how much harm you actually caused.
  29. Anonymous Member

"The most detestable wickedness, the most horrid cruelties, and the greatest miseries, that have afflicted the human race, have had their origin in this thing called revelation, or revealed religion."

Thomas Paine
  30. greebly Member

Keep harpooning there is more to come.

Stick with the Co$ nothing else as that is why we are here.

That is where all this money goes and the entity that is being subsidised.

Make sure it stays on the public agenda as the 2nd wave of recession hits the uk in 6months.

Public spending is a big issue right now.

oh and using "7 Sept bombings"(7th July madam) and comparing themselves to the "Red Cross" in the same comment loses it's edge to me.
  31. Anonymous Member

32. Sponge Member

33. RolandRB Member

Click on the link below and search on "court proceedings".

68 Tottenham Court Rd - Scientology rates exemption? - WhatDoTheyKnow

If that isn't evidence then I don't know what is.

If Pickles office has sent something around to all local government then we need to get hold of a copy. We need to know exactly what was said and how demanding it is and what weight it carries.

I will change my document and come up with a good wording for a complaint reminding them of the government urging and laying the Charities Commission stuff on thick, pointing out that they were consulted and had not changed their position on the CoL case and giving them the Charity Commission guidelines and their accompanying document to do with the law underpinning it.

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/Library/guidance/pbreligiontext.pdf
    http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/library/guidance/lawrel1208.pdf
  34. Anonymous Member

"...where the matter is `sub-judice'. The Panel confirms that such information might be disclosed in due course once any Court proceedings commenced. "

It is evidence for nothing more than that the council has an investigation into something, and that it's possible that releasing rates information might interfere, and that one possibility is that the investigation might lead to court proceedings.

There is no evidence of anything relating to scientology - for all we know a query about some totally unrelated camden properties rates would get an identical response.

You are good at these flights of fancy. Pickles gave a statement to the Guardian, because he wanted to send a message. Perhaps the statement also went out as a release, but given that almost all other media credits the Guardian, that seems unlikely. There is not a shred of evidence at this stage to believe anything beyond that.
  35. RolandRB Member

Search on "sub judice" as well as "court proceedings". It would not be sub judice unless a date for a court appearance had been set. It may be all settled and never get to court but they must be going through the proceedings and have a court date already set.

So we SEEK OUT any such evidence if Pickles has written to the authorities. I have already emailed Sunderland about this and asked for any statement issued to them concerning this as a FOI request. I would suggest someone else might like to do this for CoLCorp and CoW using WhatDoTheyKnow because I know how slow and obstructive Sunderland can be. Who wants to pick up this task?
  36. sooleater Member

danm good
  37. Anonymous Member

You are misreading it - although I note WT did also.

WT says: "If this matter is 'sub judice' ..." He is the first one to introduce the term.

The council then responds:

"You include in your application for review communication a further request for details of Court and parties involved, where the matter is `sub-judice'. ..."

They are just quoting and replying to WT's specific question. He says "what if sub-judice" they say "if sub-judice, then x is possible."
  38. RolandRB Member

I see what you mean. We do have this, though (I added the bolding).

The Panel considers that it would be in accordance with the general principles of the Freedom of Information Act, to allow a partial answer to the first part of your request for information. The Panel confirms that the organisation concerned has at one time made an application for mandatory relief from non-domestic rates. Consequently all of the information you have requested is information held by the Council.

The Panel then went on to consider whether any of the information held by the Council might be released to you. However the Panel is minded that owing to ongoing investigations into the assessment and collection of tax the Council should not release any of the information to you at this time.

The Panel confirms to you that all of the information held is subject to a qualified exemption under Section 31: Law Enforcement. In addition, in relation to some of the information held, namely information relating to the reasons for the Council's decisions, are subject to an additional qualified exemption under Section 42: Legal Professional Privilege.
  39. Anonymous Member

FWIW: You may be right, and I hope you're right, but I'm not holding my breath.
  40. RolandRB Member

Camden might be a different case because 68 TCR stopped being a "church" there as the "church" moved to 146 QVS and now the place is more like a bookshop so it might be obliged to give up its mandatory rates relief. It has "Dianetics and Scientology Life Improvement Centre" above the door in big lettering and I think it was there for the Panorama program of 2007 but I can't find a photo of Sweeney outside 68 TCR that I have seen before.