Customize

UK Government urges councils to stop giving tax breaks to scientology. WINRAR!!

Discussion in 'Scientology Property Tax' started by Sponge, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

Re: UK Government urges councils to stop giving tax breaks to scientology. WINRAR!!

/\/\/\
  2. greebly Member

Re: UK Government urges councils to stop giving tax breaks to scientology. WINRAR!!

Well more to do.

Thx for all the info.

Next job is to highlight the front groups in a respectful manner as that is what will be used by the Co$ to highlight it's effect within local communities.

Compare it to other local bodies who don't get relief. Distinguishing between organisations and personal belief systems is the other point.

Narcanon and the cost's charged there.
    CCHR
    and so on.

Let's hope other govt. bodies are looking into the invoicing procedure used for deferred income of this not-for-profit organisation and the flow of lending that occurs to this day across the EU and the world.

Accountability and transparency are the keys here on a wider scale.

His twitter account to show support
    Eric Pickles (EricPickles) on Twitter
  3. OTBT Member

2004 Graphic from International Scientology News Issue 27

narcr.jpg

Non-profit entities with links to Scientology: 990 filings

2004-isn-27-p20-clip1-751x600.jpg

also,

internal_orgchart.gif
  4. RolandRB Member

5. RolandRB Member

We need to give the local authorities time to respond to this but after that we need to make sure this national non-domestic rates relief gets withdrawn. It might not be. It all depends on if central government cover them for any possible litigation costs. Also, local government might be plain stupid and bloodyminded as we have already witnessed so there is no knowing what they will do. We will party but not until local government have stopped these tax breaks.
  6. greebly Member

Remember politics lives on public awareness and support aswell as talking and communicating facts.

You should listen to the MR radio interview re the accounts and cashflow quandry.

Just wish we had more info from project sausagelulz as lacking country coverage atm and have been busy myself.
  7. RolandRB Member

This seems to me more like a government circulated EDICT rather than an "urging" of local authorities.

This makes sense in the current economic climate in the UK. The government can not be seen as taking food out of the mouths of babes while throwing bagfulls of cash at the Scientologists.
  8. greebly Member

On a side note have we done the usual 3 month FOI with J for callouts and incidents?

Must be sept or Oct re the megaraid.
  9. RolandRB Member

What to do now?

I can use this result to word a complaint to local authorities where they have granted tax rebates to the CoS and so to ask for an internal review or for relaying to the Ombusdsman. I can destroy any of their decisions at this point with a well worded complaint but part of me feels I should wait for a while to see what happens. I feel that they need time to respond to the Pickles "urging".
  10. Re: UK Government urges councils to stop giving tax breaks to scientology. WINRAR!!

So when does Freedumb magazine do a Pickles special then?
  11. vegnej Member

Much as i dislike the present spending reviews by the Condems this is great news, go for it Mr Pickles!!
  12. AnonyVix Member

Too damn right, we all have to suffer cuts in all services and child benefits etc so having the cult take millions in our taxes adds insult to injury!
  13. vegnej Member

Would agree on that the wheels of the council do indeed move slowly but best leave em for a while.!!
  14. Anonymous Member

The London Daily News

Nice to see a bit of expansion on the rote coverage so far.
  15. RolandRB Member

I am wondering if HMG is spouting all this but expecting the local authorities to stump up the cash for litigation.
  16. AnonyVix Member

Regarding HM Government the next recess starts 21st December and they return to Government 10th Jan 2011.

I very much doubt the scilons will sit on their laurels until next year so I don't think we should either. I know some may view this as making a nuisance of ourselves but I see it more as countering what the scilons will be doing, we should at least keep tabs for any scilon communications with relevant groups.
  17. Anonymoosh Member

I figure getting the front group stuff out to interested parties is my next mission, I have already been approached for info on this and have sent as many relevant links as I can find, these charts are golden though, makes it easy to see and easy to tweet, no harm in arming people for after Mr Pickles shot across the councils bows sinks in.
  18. AnonyVix Member

What struck me about the memo regarding whether or not to remove the tax breaks was that the expected cost of litigation up to supreme court was £250,000 which was roughly the same as the annual worth of the tax break for that location (London iirc). Surely it is worth a one off cost for the sizeable chance to save the same amount each year there after not to mention correct an injustice...
  19. AnonyVix Member

You're far too nice, we need to strike while the iron is hot. The local authorities need to understand that this communication to them has been noticed and what has been said by Pickles really does reflect the will of the people. Otherwise it will all just be scilon lawyers and scilons writing about how nice they are and how Mr Pickles is misguided and basing his opinion on an "old" charities commission ruling that was done before "new guidance" was issued. Which is a crock because the new guidance used the church of scientology as an example of what should not be allowed anyway and is very much based on the earlier decision.

The not unreasonable fear of the local authorities is that the scilons may win in court. I think the risk of this is much lower than of them winning the VAT case, although I am surprised they got away with "not for profit" in that instance, clearly an area of law that very much needs tightening up on.

There might also be a need to change things so that not all religions get tax breaks even if they're not provably harmful; perhaps only those who have the real support of the communities in which they reside should get them.
  20. RolandRB Member

It also shows that the whole scheme is rotten and badly thought out. Central government should be collecting non-domestic rates and bearing any litigation costs and not local government.
  21. AnonyVix Member

Fair comment indeed. Although in the end it is us who bear the cost and frankly one I feel worth spending.
  22. RightOn Member

He is prolly "pickled" himself....... in Scotch lol
  23. RolandRB Member

If you read deeply into case law and why a religion is a "charity" then you will be horrified. And then you will see how complicated and stupid the whole situation is. The reason a religion is considered to be charitable is from some old judgment that a man without religion is a base and a vile thing and that making him religious is doing good to him and the community and therefore a helpful act and charitable. This underpins the law in England. But it is not specifically stated in any legislation so no - there are no dox except you can read the below.

http://www.icnl.org/knowledge/ijnl/vol3iss1/ar_KBromley.pdf
  24. RightOn Member

I just thought of this....
    and I told it to someone in a PM.....
    It's simply.....

The evidence of COS's lack of public benefit, IS their lack of public benefit.

lol!!!!
    well.... I like it anyways
  25. RolandRB Member

The same for other religions. I mean Buddhist monks go begging from the poor and starving for chissakes.
  26. SomeRandGuy Member

27. RightOn Member

it was just the play on words that I liked
  28. AnonLover Member

restock the arsenals with new ammo that would be useful to have readily available in the next rounds of the game?

just brainstorming here and being that I'm not a UKfag i'm not sure if this ground has been covered yet. but is there by chance local areas where the cult has/had an org but DID NOT GET TAX RELIEF?

If so, is there maybe FOIA dox to be gotten for future soundbites/citations where we can say XXXX area said no to tax breaks for these specific reasons? (possibly the same reasons other local areas should of said no too)

IOW - we've exposed the DOINITWRONG locations, now maybe lets looks at the DOINITRITE examples (if any) and see what useful stuff we might be able to find for later.
  29. RolandRB Member

What is now the Mid Sussex District Council have never given them tax relief since St. Hill Manor was purchased by L. Ron Hubbard. Disputes include him giving permanent foundations to the out-houses as well as building a mock-Tudor castle in the grounds without planning permission.
  30. The Wrong Guy Member

31. Sponge Member

Shit load more national and regional news media links added to the OP. All saying the same thing but very handy of you want to use them to make an extremely tall totem poll style protest sign ;)

Pic related
    ercipickleslrhaudit.jpg
    Troll-la-lol-la-lol-la-lol-lol-la-lol-hahahaaa-hohohohooo-heheheheee
  32. Sponge Member

OSA imploded. lol.
  33. RolandRB Member

So what should we do now because I am clueless? On the basis of this announcement I could word a friendly but devestating email to the 4 local authorities that basically say "are you in the process of removing rates relief as a response to the announcement of the Communities Secretary and if so ignore what follows but if not GRRRRR.......". But also I feel they need time to rethink and respond. But then part of me says to strike while the iron is still hot. I am clueless in this case.

Another victory to announce is that I installed Windows 7 from scratch on this Acer laptop and it hasn't frozen in nearly 10 hours.
  34. RolandRB Member

Who is that?
  35. Sponge Member

See: Goodnight sweet prince

The photo is of Judge Pickles.
  36. DeathHamster Member

The usual attempt to invoke the Red Cross's name. Were they really "highly commended" by the London police?

Not like Red Cross:
  37. Random guy Member

Comment section will need some harpoon love.
  38. genoramix Member

this week seems full of win. However remember the b& hammer that was supposed to happen in France, and those bastards found a last minute way to counter it...Never sell the bear's skin before killing the bear
  39. Anonymoosh Member

not like you to be clueless my man?

mind you i am not surprised you are knocked for six by this, you have been working towards it for so long.

my advice means jack to be honest, but for what its worth, keep on doing what you are doing, the judicial review is still in the planning stage isn't it? we may still need it, keep getting the ducks in a row, keep finding dox and evidence that we can pass around out there, allow them the space to absorb what Pickles has said by all means, but..the pressure needs to be kept on, even if its a more gentle persistent pressure, if we back off, so can they prevaricate.

I do think that the suggestion of showing documentation of those councils doing it RIGHT is a good step, it will help them to back up their decision if they go the right way.

also Front groups, I feel it is VERY important not to leave the bastards anywhere to hide with the tax thing.

and now my head aches.
  40. RolandRB Member

DIFFERENT BLOKE.