Customize

Twitter on Tor with Javascript

Discussion in 'How To' started by Dot, Mar 14, 2015.

?

How do you Tweet when you want to be discreet?

Tor Browser with scripts whitelisted 1 vote(s) 100.0%
Not Tor Browser, scripts enabled 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Some other way 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. Dot Member

_____ Questions ________

Using Tor with Javascript Off

Twitter requires Javascript.

If I whitelist it, what information will I reveal about my location / computing device?

Any additional steps to counteract that info reveal? Would Tails make a difference?

TY
  2. GibbousWaxing Member

Hell, I'm just trying to find out how to create a sock account on Twitter. I've tried on two computers and it tells me Twitter is unable to create a new account on this computer and to use a phone or tablet instead. I only have computers. WTF?

They still allow multiple accounts, so what's the problem?
  3. Dot Member

Hi GibbousWaxing, Check to be sure you're not on a Twitter url for mobile devices. Also, you'll have to turn on Javascript to use Twitter over Tor.

Twitter now wants mobile numbers for accounts created with Tor. One time a few days ago, however, I was able to make an account on Tor without a request for a mobile number, so it might depend on the exit node IP address.

If you are able, create the sock account over a regular connection. It probably won't require a phone number that way. Of course if you are doing any activist work and don't want it traced back to you, you'll need to use a public IP connection. After that, you should be able to switch to Tor without them hassling you about a mobile number. Maybe avoid the bot look by refraining from posting high frequency updates directed at specific users.
  4. GibbousWaxing Member

Thanks for the reply. Guess I'll just have to play around a bit and see if I can find something that works.