Customize

Transcipt: Marc Headley Interview

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by An0n1nNZ, Apr 26, 2008.

1. An0n1nNZ Member

Transcipt: Marc Headley Interview

This thread is for transcribing the Glosslip interview with Marc Headley. The audio for this interview is available here, the interview for 25/04/2008.

A 'tidy' transcript of this interview has been produced. This transcript is just over 19 pages long, full of dynamite, and is available from here: Marc Headley Interview 25 Apr 2008 ver1.1 (PDF)

There is a roster below, with start time (working in 10 minute blocks, please transcribe until the end of the sentence in your block so we get some overlap ;) Precede each section with initials of who is speaking it (e.g. 'DO' for Dawn Olsen)

Start Time | Transcriber
    0:00 - Kaminonymous | An0n1nNZ
    10:00 - Anonymeep
    20:00 - cannedonymous
    30:00 - anomnomnom1
    40:00 - SamuelAdams
    50:00 - An0n1nNZ
    60:00 - An0n1nNZ
    70:00 - An0n1nNZ
    80:00 - its.an0nym0us
    90:00 - its.an0nym0us

(i.e. I will transcribe from 60 minutes into the interview, to the end of the sentence around 80 minutes) Hope this make sense, if not please ask :)

Dawn, I love you so much but that won't be necessary ;)
    Making information accessible and available is my joy :)
  2. An0n1nNZ Member

Re: Transcipt: Marc Headley Interview

Transcription segment of Glosslip Marc Headley Interview, 60:00 onwards

3. An0n1nNZ Member

Transcription segment of Glosslip Marc Headley Interview, 70:00 onwards

4. Kaminonymous Member

[reserved for 00:00-10:00]
    i've never done this before... here goes.
  5. Anonymeep Member

I'd be happy to do a chunk but I want to make sure I'm not doubling up Dawns (or someone else's) work here. I'll do 10 to 20 unless someone's already started on that.
  6. cannedonymous Member

Sounds good. I'll start on 20 (to 30). I can take on more after that if they haven't already been done.
  7. anomnomnom1 Member

starting 30-40.

8. SamuelAdams Member

I have 40-49:59.
  9. cannedonymous Member

Wow!! Transcribing is a pain in the ass!! No wonder Dawn needed help! Anyway, here's 20:00 to 30:00.... I didn't put the minute notices in like An0n1nNZ. Does anyone think that's necessary?? I can go back and do it, if that's the case...

DO: Have you talked to anyone, Marc, who's still in there? Do you have any contact with anyone? That's still in the church. Or not much?

MH: Well, actually, what ends up happening is when these people leave, they get on the internet, and ultimately I'm able to find them or meet up with them and in a lot of cases I've actually helped people out, gotten them jobs, gotten them situated. Because, you gotta dig. When you leave.. When you leave the international base, besides losing all contact with your family and friends and basically anybody that you know in your life, you have no money. You have no credit. Most staff that work there do not even have a driver's license. I mean, there's no reason for you to drive anywhere. You work… you live there, you work there, you never leave. So, when a person like that leaves, it's very hard for them to get on their feet. And… And I have talked to people, and like, I… I talked to a guy a few months back who had left about a year ago and he said that when I left, we thought it could never get any worse. And that's always what you think. You know, every year that would go by, we'd think well you know what, at least it can't get any worse. It can only get better from here, because this is the lowest of the low that we could possibly experience. And he said that from 2005 'til 2007, it got markedly worse. So, it was, it's literally one of those things that, when you're there, you think, you know, it's got to get better. It just can't go on like this forever. And that… and I started thinking that in, probably the year 2000. I thought, you know what, it's got to get better. It just can't keep going like this. Until, in 2005, I realized it's never going to get better, it's only going to get worse. And all these things that are being done. I mean when you're there, you're there to help people. And the whole reason that you're there, that anyone is there, in Scientology or in the Sea Organization, is because they have.. they have an internal urge to help other people. That's it. So, when you see all these things happening, people being treated like this, it totally goes against your… the grain of what you're there for. And, you know, sooner or later I think a lot of these people are just gonna, just gonna leave. And you know, more and more of these stories will come out and more of these different things, like, Dave's.. Dave Miscavige, in 2003, he instituted a rule that all staff at the Int Base facility have to call Tom Cruise "sir". Okay, now, Tom Cruise is a public scientologist. He's a parishioner. Some of these people that have been in the Sea Organization at the Int Base, have been in the Sea Org for 30 years. Dedicated their life. And the only person that they have to call "sir" is someone who's senior in rank to them. But now, this new guy, Tom Cruise. He… he garners the title of "sir". And if you don't call him sir, you might get away with calling him "Mr. Cruise", if the situation deems that you couldn't just say "sir". But if you called him "Tom" or "T.C.", that's it man, you were in trouble. People actually did get in trouble for calling him "Tom". And it was literally, it was made a big deal of, like "blaughty-blah" called Mister Cruise "Tom" today. And that person was made an example of. So, I mean, it's just, things like that are just like, you know, what job security do you have if you've been in the Sea Organization for 30 years and a movie star can come along and suddenly he's senior in position than you and… and when he hasn't.. he hasn't dedicated nearly as much of his life to doing what you're doing. You know, that kind of thing.

DO: You worked. Oh, I'm sorry, Marc, I didn't mean to interrupt you. You worked with Tom Cruise quite, you know, regularly.

MH: Well, no, I didn't actually work with him. What had happened was in the early 90's when he first became a scientologist he had to get what's called training. He had to do his training to become an auditor. And while you do your training, then you also get auditing. And you kind of go back and forth. Well, in order to do that, you need… you need to basically get somebody who hasn't had any auditing. And in the early 90's I had had very little auditing, if any. So I was the perfect candidate for Tom Cruise, so, he actually audited me while he did his training for his… his auditor training. So I got to know him then, but in the mid 90's, when he got up to OT3 he left the church. He was not being a scientologist. And during those times

DO: He was disillusioned, wasn't he?

MH: Well, he basically thought it was complete bullshit. He read all the stuff about…

DO: The wall of fire, right??

MH: Yeah, he… he got to all that Xenu stuff. "Xenu stuff?" and he was like "I'm out of here". And he left. And, literally, when he was in Scientology, though, several Scientologists were kind of implanted into his staff network. His assistants and his people… basically people that helped him run his career. And they were Scientologists. So, when he… when he became, you know, basically upset or whatever with Scientology, these people stayed with him. And they were basically the eyes and ears for David Miscavige. On when they were going to be able to get Tom Cruise back into Scientology. So, for many years, Tom never, ever came back to the Int Base, to do anything. We never heard of him, we never saw him.

DO: Was that when he was married to Nicole?

MH: Absolutely.

DO: So this is during that time?

MH: Totally. And Dave would comment regularly about how.. how much of an out-ethics person Tom Cruise was. Because, he's just off with Nicole, and.. Nicole does.. He does whatever Nicole wants, and Nicole doesn't want anything to do with Scientology and… Anyway, the facts surrounding him getting back into Scientology are very speculative, but from all that I know basically the church seized upon the fact that Nicole had gotten pregnant. And that Tom, up until that point, was not able to have children whatsoever. So, obviously, her being pregnant was a major faux pas for her. And that she was in… and that she basically had been, you know, cheating.

DO: Ah, okay.

MH: So then out of nowhere. Like, literally, out of nowhere, Tom Cruise divorces Nicole Kidman, completes OT4 in the same week. And now, out of nowhere, he's the most dedicated Scientologist in the whole world. Just like… just like, overnight. He's with Dave all the time. And it… it was just like… it was… it was bizarre. It was bizarre to people that worked at the Int Base. It was like, ten years this guy was gone, and all of a sudden he just shows up out of nowhere. And now he's just a fanatic. And he's claiming that he's been in Scientology for you know, fifteen, twenty years. You know, all this stuff and you're just like "what the hell, man? Where did that come from?"

DO: You know it's a lie. So all right, so let me see if I can sort of summarize this. Nicole comes into his life, and he goes to OT3. He says this stuffs a bunch of bs, because you know, I mean honestly the whole Xenu story sounds like a load of bs. I'm not even talking about the tech. I'm not even, you know… I don't know enough about the tech to even slam it. But we'll just say the techs a-okay but the whole Xenu story is bs. So Tom sees this; Nicole's not into Scientology. You know her dads, what, a clinical psychologist, and she's a Catholic. They're just not into it. She gets pregnant, although you and I know because you know, we're well aware, that that was Tom's baby that she was pregnant with. She saved the placenta, I talked to Andrew Morton about this, just for this purpose of when they got divorced. You know, she had her little ace in the hole, which unfortunately is sick that she had to have it, but there it was. And, so what, they seized on this opportunity of Tom Cruise you know, getting his wife pregnant, like that's something awful. It is impugning Nicole Kidman's reputation as being.. you know, a cheater, which she emphatically denied. And I just don't buy it because, I think… Even to this day she still says nice stuff about Tom.

MH: Yeah, even when. Even when they did get the divorce, the only thing that Tom would say was "She knows what she did".

DO: Exactly. Which I think is sick.

MH: That's the only statement that's ever been made on why they got a divorce was "She knows what she did". That's it.

DO: That could be anything. That could be she didn't buy into Scientology. She, you know… She got bigger than I was. Who knows what it was? But it implies she did something you know, to… some sort of infidelity or betrayal of some sort. Which doesn't sound like what actually happened. I mean, we may never know. There's certainly lots of speculation.

MH: Yeah.
  10. cannedonymous Member

I think it's spelled Greg Wilhere, anomnomnom1. Great job, by the way!!
  11. anomnomnom1 Member

Thanks. I'll be out for a while, so if theres anything else wrong anybody feel free to correct and repost

You too, btw.
  12. An0n1nNZ Member

We're almost there! (Roster repeated from OP)

Start Time | Transcriber

Hi Cannedonymous, that's ok -- the most important part is getting the words down!! I put the times in to make it easier to find quotes in the Video/Audio source again, and it also breaks up the text so its a lil' easier to read and you have bookmarks :) Great work!!
  13. its.an0nym0us Member

Reserved for 80 onwards.
    EDIT:
    I will do 90 as well.
    ROUGH DRAFT DONE

Edit edit: I wish people would drop 'you know' and 'I mean' from their vocabularies. Shame on you Dawn! And I haven't heard all of this interview but I think I have the most un-educated and conspiracy-ridden part (damn you Marc!)

Edit Edit Editty Edit: DONE MUTHAFUKAS. Names are weird, please advise on bolded words.

14. SamuelAdams Member

Completed: Section 40:00-49:59
  15. Anonymeep Member

This is the 10-20 section.

Dawn needs to go over this to correct names plus I have the odd word I couldn't make out.

16. Anonymeep Member

It's speaking language. I used to transcribe a fair bit for my job and the norm then was to drop most of that kind of speech patterns. Just like rephrased sentences - I left that stuff out.
  17. its.an0nym0us Member

I used to work for PHD grammar Nazi's. :frustration: I kept a lot of the speech to ensure accurate quoting. Also changed that bit in my post during edits, I didn't mean to be that harsh.
  18. DawnOlsen Member

Wow, that hurt quite a bit. Sorry I sound so uneducated :( I typically don't write that way.

I won't pretend to be a PHD scholar. I write celeb gossip, so take that for what it's worth.

Either way, I appreciate any help and will accept grammar nazism. If it makes you feel any better, my hubby is the editor for Blogcritics.org and I am ridiculed by him on a daily basis for my "out-ethics" grammar issues. He's worse, not sure if he ever called me uneducated. I bet I have more of an education that Davey Miscarriage though :)
  19. An0n1nNZ Member

Transcription segment of Glosslip Marc Headley Interview, 50:00 onwards

20. An0n1nNZ Member

Dawn, I watched one of your shows and I was amazed at just how much you are doing in those interviews -- not only are you hosting the guest of the show and keeping that flowing, but hosting those people in the chat room, helping them with the various issues they have, and keeping an eye on questions ... you're honestly a Wonder Woman!

This transcript is just over 19 pages long, full of dynamite, and is available from here:
    Marc Headley Interview 25 Apr 2008 ver1.1 (PDF)

Another project will be starting in Translation and Text Composition Projects > English (composition only) soon .. any suggestions/requests??
  21. Jeff Jacobsen Member

It's Marty Rathbun and Kendrick Moxon for the names that I know.
  22. An0n1nNZ Member

Transcription segment of Glosslip Marc Headley Interview, 5:00-10:00
  23. Anonabliss Member

second that.
  24. An0n1nNZ Member

A 'tidy' transcript has been produced. This is not necessarily every single word spoken: phrases like "You know" (110 of them!) and "I mean" (lost count...) have been removed, and sentences pruned to reduce repetition and make more managable sentences.

This transcript is just over 19 pages long, full of dynamite, and is available from here:
    Marc Headley Interview 25 Apr 2008 ver1.1 (PDF)

Raw transcripts can be read as below:
    Start Time | Transcriber

Thank you so much to all those who contributed to the Transcription process: anomnomnom1, Anonymeep, cannedonymous, its.an0nym0us, Kaminonymous and SamuelAdams, love your work!
    And thanks to Dawn Olsen of Glosslip and Marc Headley for providing us with such fascinating material!
    :flowers:
  25. Kaminonymous Member

fist half:

possible errors...
    Hemlet (spelling?): hemmet? something? didn't get that word (Oh noes, MU. must clear.)

DO:
    "therefore increasing [something something] Sea Org?" (3:45)
    i didn't quite catch that part. i put in my best guess

also, when i listened to this, i thought it was saying golden AIR productions (not era). i can't get my 'find' function to work right now that i've seen this, but i think i got them all...
  26. Kaminonymous Member

anyway, 10/10. would transcribe again! :D
  27. CherrieZ Member

28. Plups Member

Magnificient work, folks. Love your contribution. I've sent the transcript to the Nightline producers. ;)
  29. Marc Headley Member

Sorry about that. I did mention that I was wholly uneducated, right? But I agree and no excuses will be made for my crappy vernacular. I think that I, like Dawn was a bit suprised to read the comment above on the board.

In the future I will make a definite effort to restrict my use of those particular phrases. In all of my writings, no one has ever brought that point up and I think that might be, because I do not write exactly as I would speak.

I will also go through and make edits based on correct spellings of things that I see are incorrect.

Again, thanks for everything guys.

Marc
  30. anomnomnom1 Member

Hey don't be hard on yourself. EVERYONE sounds like that when you talk. Senators and congressmen sound like that in transcripts. It's just that we're not used to doing transcripts, so we're not used to actually seeing how many of those are in there.

You guys don't sound stupid when you talk, people just don't talk like they're reading from a prewritten script, and people that don't write transcripts never realize it. I've never done any transcription before so I was surprised too.
  31. Plups Member

Lawyer here: I have a lot of experience reading transcripts and neither of you sounded uneducated at all. Marc, as I was listening to you (before reading this thread) I thought to myself that you were particularly articulate and coherent. That's why I sent it to the Nightline team.

When we speak, we tend also to be thinking, and that can lead to some interesting sentence structure. Very few people speak in complete and grammatically correct sentences, particularly when interacting with someone else.
  32. its.an0nym0us Member

For what it's worth I was having a cranky day and changed the wording when I realized how bitchy I sounded.

Also, by uneducated I was also referring to the lack of hard data we were getting from Marc. I know it's a celeb interview, but considering it was a radio interview there's no reason for him not to have some prompt materials in front of him to plug hard facts. I am very vocal about my dislike of first-or-second-hand account storytelling in place of corroborating quotes and documentation.
  33. Kaminonymous Member

And from a purely selfish perspective, having 'you know, um,' in the sentence gives me time to catch up typing that sentence. :D
  34. cgallo Member

It's an excellent interview by somebody that obviously knows the game that is afoot. As time goes on, Dawn Olsen integrates more of the Scientology lingo. She and the Baltimore City Paper writer have really added to the knowledgebase available to other reporters, investigators, students and those simply Playing From Home as corporate Scientology melts down. This PDF of the transcript is gravy, pure gravy.

Marc, do the book! do it!

A huge thanks (and hugs) to Anonymous for the transcript work!

Chip Gallo
    Knowing How to Know is Knowing Where to Go:
    [usual URLs deleted 'cause you guys know them already]
  35. An0n1nNZ Member

36. An0n1nNZ Member

This transcript was downloaded 125 times in the first 24 hours of posting (on a *Sunday*), and has already been used by Dawn in two releases (one two) and I am sure it'll get more use as well. My view is that this has been a success!!

The current project is transcribing the Glosslip interview with Mark Bunker and Jeff Hawkins. It is near completion, we need just one more helper. Hope you can join us!
  37. CherrieZ Member

LOL!! I completely agree with you!!
  38. An0n1nNZ Member

This transcript was a great success, please help transcribe the second Marc Headley interview.

In this second interview, Marc speaks on the Freewinds, explains Fair Game and Suppressive Persons, Disconnection, effectiveness of Anonymous, and more!
  39. its.an0nym0us Member

QFTranscriptionists
  40. Lorelei Member

Sorry to be Slowpoke. I did find some corrections, if you still need them for your files. Alas, I didn't see this until yesterday, but I greatly enjoyed reading every bit of it.

OK: It's not "Corinne Pouw" but "Karin Pouw," I believe, if you're referring to the CoS' Head of Communications (the woman usually quoted in news articles lying blatantly and denying CoS culpability when they get caught or questioned about their shitty behaviors).

"Kendrick Moxon" from Moxon & Kobrin (law firm, Kobrin is Helena Kobrin: Moxon & Kobrin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and (I think) "Stacy Moxon Meyer." (MeyerS?)

Also, "Hemet" (a.k.a. "Gold Base") and "Miscavige."

*looking up the woman mentioned as a possible Sci-mate for Tom Cruise*

Sofia Vergara, a Columbian actress he met at a pre-Oscar party for Jamie Foxx in February, 2005. Tom asked Will Smith, the host, to provide an invitation for her and an introduction.

See Chapter 11 in Andrew Morton's Cruise bio for juicy gossip about her.

Thanks for all you do, Dawn, Mark, and transcribers.