Customize

Traffic bumps ahead.

Discussion in 'Site News and Announcements' started by sue, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Facebook-Like-Button-big.jpg
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. ZeroC Member

Don't press the "Destroy" button!

[IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. sue Administrator

Would you guys get super angry if the monthly costs were bumped up to $500 ? here's the thing, the more posts there are the longer (new) search queries take to complete. This means that while this happens the database server is busy doing quite a bit of work, and can occasionally tell other requests to wait. This becomes exponentially worse the more posts a forum has.

To avoid this there's elasticsearch which is built and optimised for handling search queries (mysql isn't really built for it.) However, this would mean an additional expense on a monthly basis.

I'll do the innodb conversion when there's less activity (tonight) search is going to be amongst the next things that need to be looked at and can't really be avoided.

In the good news dept, without wanting to make promises, file attachments + possibly group creation for everyone might be seen in the not to distant future.

Groups would boil down to your own public or private forum where you call the shots, there will still be some minor limitations rule wise, but in essence it would be your place, your drama and as long as you keep it there, we'll be cool.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. rof Member

I would get my own drama?

For only $100?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. sue Administrator

It's still in development but from what I gathered it is shaping up very nicely.
  6. My own rainbow group!!!
    rainbow-field.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. rof Member

Let me betafag it and tell you it's worthless.

I have a few friends.
  8. sue Administrator

Agreed.
  9. I'd be okay with this. I can find a way to make a regular monthly donation. A mere 20 donors @ $25.00 per month makes the monthly nut.

Obviously, $25.00 per month may not be manageable for everyone, but I think if it is pitched as a what-can-be-managed member/guest donation - rather than a fixed amount, like a subscription - it may be possible that there will be enough member & guest donations to make the nut every month.

The features already in place are tools I am finding to be very valuable, and what has been described as future features are quite attractive.

No, it would not make me angry. :)
  10. sue Administrator

Tuning mysql is going to take a few days, hopefully performance will be better now. If you continue having the "half page" load issue please let me know. It doesn't show up in the slow_query log which.. well keeps me wondering what it can be.
  11. Anonymous Member

Ah, I was wondering about those half page loads. Thought maybe it was my internet connection or something. Its been persistently hanging both on Roland's Scientology = Child Abuse thread and the Child Scientology thread; both have exceedingly long pages with lots of images (sorry about that)
  12. PresidentShaw Member

Yea, it does seem to happen more often on pages with lots of image, not sure if related but worth mentioning.
  13. sue Administrator

Ok, let me know if it continues to happen from here on.
  14. Anonymous Member

Sue, whatever magic you did, it worked. Pages aren't choking half way through any more. Thanks :)
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Anonymous Member

Holy crap, pages load very fast now.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. sue Administrator

That was the idea :)
  17. sue Administrator

Can I take a day off now guys?
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Anonymous Member

Yes, you've earned it. Report to your Regional Overlord for bonus allotment of hookers and blow.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Not only is shit fast like whoosh but ... all pics now load using Tor bundle. Whatever you did fixed that too. Now I shall hug you :D
  20. Anonymous Member

Agreed, this is like the turbocharged version of WWP, on steroids. Pages and images load incredibly fast now. Whatever you did, Sue, was damn fine work.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. sue Administrator

Glad to hear :)
  22. Pique Member

Nice job sue. Yes indeed take a day off.

[IMG]

I don't imagine that previously even the $400 was quite covering total costs.
    With a move to a more appropriate server it sounds reasonable to me that those costs will go up.
    And I'm looking forward to more detail on...

Here's some magick potion for your day off.

[IMG]

Edit: omg things really are speedy around here!!
    • Like Like x 4
  23. PresidentShaw Member

Ub5m0.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Kilia Member

This old lady will do the best she can monthly donation-wise per her Social Security assets.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. raboon Member

Very good thank you.
  26. Winner-logo-Adobe-RGB.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  27. rof Member

dude ur dome is b0rken
  28. nightfire Member

Sue you are doing a really great job! Thank you for everything you do! Load times for me have been cut in half, and I don't have hanging loads anymore (which could be embarrasing in public) ;)
    This site keeps getting better and better!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1