Customize

Traffic bumps ahead.

Discussion in 'Site News and Announcements' started by sue, Jul 11, 2012.

1. sue Administrator

For sake of brevity I'll keep it short.

The current setup WWP is running on was meant as temporary solution between two colocation moves. Unfortunately life got in the way, and much of the then made plans fell in the water.

The setup works, but has it's limitations, it scales with the peaks of traffic we recently have had, but does require a lot more hands on maintenance than you might want to think.

While I truly like the datacenter WWP is hosted at currently, in order to cope with spikes in traffic in a better way WWP will be moving to another datacenter in the weeks to come.

This means there will be some down time (a few hours tops) and eventually some temporary decreases in performance, but i'll try to keep it to the absolute minimum.

More details will follow when the move nears.
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Tourniquet Member

Thank you, sue and team, for keeping WWP @peak potency.

I've definitely notice the heavy traffic ( <cwutididthar)
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. amaX Member

OH MY GOD! WE'RE MOVING AGAIN? THERE WILL BE HOURS OF DOWNTIME?

i'm skeered.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. RightOn Member

Just means that WWP is more popluar these days? :D
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 3
  6. Anonymous Member

The first WWP server went online in February 2008, just after the message to scientology was published. Today, WWP is a department of prtst.net, carrying forward the original aims for the Foundation set forth by sue in 2008. With several servers in locations all over the world from Atlanta to Zurich, Moscow to Buenos Aires and beyond, the stabilizing influence of WWP now embraces more than 9000 datacenters and is continuing to expand faster than ever.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Anonymous Member

I've been wondering just how upstat this website has been in the last week.

Any figures? Average page imprints?

Just to rub the noses of the clams in their empty orgs in it even more, you understand.
  8. Random guy Member

Thanks for the update!
  9. veravendetter Member

Server. Eugh, you deliciously dirty man.
  10. sue Administrator

Depending on who you want to believe, anywhere between 1 to 2,5 million page views.
    PNHjr.png
    uBQWN.png
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Anonymous Member

WWP has expanded more in the past year than in the past five years combined and more in the past five years than in the past five decades combined.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. RightOn Member

Davy?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. PresidentShaw Member

How dare you be transparent and inform the community in advance of upcoming changes?

Something sinister is clearly at work here.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Anonymous Member

Thanks for all your work sue. You're a great man.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Anonymous Member

Fix'd.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Anonymous Member

OK is there a way of publishing the same format stats for the official cult main website?

Just for the lulz?
  17. Anonymous Member

not accurately no.
  18. Anonymous Member

OK well it doesn't need mega accuracy.

Just needs to show that WWP has over 9000 times more views than the cult's website.
  19. Anonymous Member

Alexa and compete do that but rely on estimates that shown WWP is declining in interest and attention. Unlike the metrics shown by the analytics posted above. There's just no way to know for sure.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Ann O'Nymous Member

21. sue Administrator

Nx1xg.png

Base images are done, mail is setup, still some work ahead but it's shaping up nicely.
    • Like Like x 5
  22. sue Administrator

So the new setup is finished, finally figured out the one issue I kept bumping into. Meaning, the move can be done, however I rather do it when I feel it's the right time for me to do so, since you never know what could go wrong.

Expected downtime considering yesterdays tests, give or take 45 minutes to an hour.

This will likely happen in the forth coming days, if not tonight.

There will be brief interruptions after the move fo mysql tuning, and potentially because of tightening the firewall rules. Those should last minutes if everything goes right that is.

You're welcome.
    • Like Like x 4
  23. hushpuppy Member

You are amazing sue; being unrelenting in your effort to improve this crazy site during all these years!

Thanks tons for all you do for WWP babe :0
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Anonymous Member

• Funny Funny x 2
  25. Anonymous Member

26. Kilia Member

Thanks again for all your hard work, sue. It is mucho appreciated!!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. sue Administrator

Migration should be done, will monitor the network to see if there's any glitches. If you encounter problems logging please clear your cookies.

If you encounter any problems please let me know, if you can't connect, post as guest or email sue@whyweprotest.net
    • Like Like x 1
  28. Ann O'Nymous Member

Everything fine so far. Thanks.
  29. Everything is running quite smoothly for me, except for one issue.

There are problems with page loads. The page starts to load, and then hangs.

Usually, a few reloads will solve the problem but there have been situations I have given up on, after 10+ reload attempts.

This rarely happens with the Forum List/What's New Page, but forum threads and particularly, Member Profile Pages can prove to be very frustrating.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  30. sue Administrator

I'll look into that.
    • Like Like x 3
  31. sue Administrator

Gah, this is likely because of us outgrowing MyISAM. Theory time, since the db was imported multiple times on multiple different setups there is a high probability that on one of them InnoDB was not supported, most likely some time long ago in far away land.

In any event, this means I have to convert large MyISAM tables to InnoDB, what this means is that I have to pull the db offline when doing it.

I'll look into the most elegant way of doing this, it's going to take some time to figure out, this never occurred to me otherwise I'd have done so before it'd become problematic.
    • Like Like x 1
  32. Django Member

Hi Everyone,

Y'know, with all the new traffic we've gotten recently, I think we should move WWP to a new server. Could the Mods look into that, please? Hey thanks....
    • Funny Funny x 2
  33. Thank you, sue, for the details.

Overall, the site operations are superb, from my points of view. This is the only dysfunction that I'm aware of. Everything else is running ticket-tea-boo! :)
    • Like Like x 1
  34. sue Administrator

LOL, again? We did about six hours ago.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  35. Anonymous Member

no user images show up using Tor bundle but that's a separate issue right? the 'like, funny, etc.' buttons neither otherwise slick like pro lube :)
    • Like Like x 1
  36. sue Administrator

That's likely because tor bundle disallows Javascript (as they should). To save bandwith and to improve page loading speeds images are sized based on your display, they are also lazy loaded into your viewport when you scroll down the page.

Another possibility is that torbundle is stricter on remote content inclussion on https connections, since images are loaded from another domain than whyweprotest.net
  37. Anonymous Member

Well ok the likes, funny, etc. thing is user error. It's fine. Sorry.

The images yeah, avatars and page furniture are all ok it's a user images in posts thing. They load in edit mode but not in regular view mode. I guess it is a very minority problem and anyways unrelated to new hosting. Thanks again :)
  38. sue Administrator

Re the conversion to innodb, that will give or take cost 30 minutes. I hate downtime.
  39. Well, it's a very small price to pay, if you're convinced that' will fix the pages failing to load properly x over 9000.
  40. sue Administrator

Well that and then tuning my.cf, otherwise i'm (currently) at a loss what could cause these kind of congestions.