Customize

Tony Ortega: Scientology TV station

Discussion in 'Media' started by The Wrong Guy, Jul 13, 2012.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

Tony Ortega just posted this on Facebook:

Tony Ortega via Tony Ortega

47 seconds ago ·

Scientology is getting its own TV station? That's what various news organizations are saying. We go one step further, and show you what the Fall Lineup is going to be at Scientology TV!

From his article:

SCIENTOLOGY TV: FALL LINEUP REVEALED! - New York News - Runnin' Scared

Last year, the Church of Scientology bought the studios that had been the home for KCET, the public television station in Los Angeles.

Now, news organizations are reporting that Scientology plans to use the facility to produce its own TV station, the way other religions do. So far, however, none of those news reports have explained what it is the church plans to broadcast.

And that's where we come in. We watch enough Scientology TV to know what's going to be hitting the airwaves -- or would be, if David Miscavige just let us be his programmer.

More at http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/07/scientology_tv_fall_lineup.php
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. jesus fucking christ.....I can't keep up with the frequency of his posts. Admins, please....can we get a situation room for TO sometime soon? There are too many stray threads that would be better served in one place.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  3. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Anonymous Member

please, oh please let there be stock footage of squirrels scampering about, for the sake of anons' cats everywhere.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. eddieVroom Member

Hopefully, they'll pump it into every org on the planet. Then, we can use it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Anonymous Member

Surely that man must be a SubGenius saint!
  8. Anonymous Member

The video.....it burns...
  9. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 4
  10. Ann O'Nymous Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  11. Anonymous Member

Daily Entheta Hour
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. BlooAnon Member

The 100% Tom Cruise channel. Only plays movies that Tom's been in.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Anonymous Member

Great shoop, lots of little hidden details.

Shouldn't the NOI symbol be a crescent moon with Scientology cross inside (instead of a star)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Anonymous Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9394213/Church-of-Scientology-launching-TV-station.html

Church of Scientology launching TV station

The Church of Scientology, the religion whose followers include actors Tom Cruise and John Travolta, plans to start a religious broadcasting centre to promote its teachings over TV, radio and the internet.

travolta-cruise-sc_2274683b.jpg
    Hign profile members of The Church of Scientology include Hollywood actors John Travolta and Tom Cruise Photo: AP

9:43AM BST 12 Jul 2012
    [IMG]31 Comments

The centre, located near the church's West Coast headquarters in Hollywood, would occupy the nearly five-acre studio property the church bought last year from Los Angeles public TV station KCET for $42 million (£27 million).
    The station would elevate the public profile of a religion that has mostly relied on pamphlets and books by its founder, L. Ron Hubbard, to proselytise for new members.
    "The church plans to establish a central media hub for our growing world network of churches and to move into the production of religious television and radio broadcasting," said Karin Pouw, a spokeswoman for Church of Scientology International, in an email.
    She said there is no timetable for when operations would begin.
    Scientology TV could be similar to Pat Robertson's Christian Broadcasting Network or the Trinity Broadcast Network. Trinity creates Christian programming at a production centre in Irving, Texas, and airs it on TV stations and cable channels, said Rick Ross, whose non-profit Rick A. Ross Institute in Trenton, New Jersey, maintains an online archive of data on cults and controversial movements.
    Related Articles
    "Hollywood is a major hub for creative talent and some of them are Scientologists," said Ross. "They'd have a lot of talented folks who could produce shows and stars like Tom Cruise who would appear on them."
    Elayne Rapping, a pop-culture expert and professor of American studies at the University of Buffalo, told Reuters she is not surprised by the church's move.
    "Having their own TV is a good idea since they can spin things their way," she said. "They are after good PR which they can control to offset the bad publicity surrounding them in other media."
    Former members of the 60-year-old church accuse it of being a cult and have alleged that it abuses members and separates parents from children, among other things. The church denies such accusations.
    The celebrity of controversial members like Cruise and Travolta is a double-edged sword for the church, Rapping said.
    Cruise is one of the world's biggest movie stars, but his divorce from actress Katie Holmes has fuelled speculation that the couple disagreed on raising their 6-year-old daughter, Suri, as a Scientologist and sparked a flurry of news coverage about the church.
    John Travolta was recently sued for libel by a Los Angeles man who wrote a book about his alleged homosexual encounters with the "Saturday Night Fever" and "Pulp Fiction" star.
    The Hollywood studio would complement the church's existing production facility, Golden Era Productions, near Hemet, California, which produces DVDs and "other audio-visual materials that comprise a large part of the Church's religious and educational materials," Pouw said.
    Scientologists are likely to buy time on local TV stations to air shows as other religions do, said Bill Carroll, vice-president of Katz Television Group, which advises TV stations on programming.
    They could create their own cable channel, he said, but could also get a license from the Federal Communications Commission to operate a broadcast channel by adhering to FCC rules on children's programming, news and other regulations.
    The church took physical control of the broadcast centre, located on Sunset Boulevard near Hollywood, in April when KCET employees moved TV station operations to a rented facility.
    Source: Reuters
  15. The Wrong Guy Member

16. Sonichu Moderator

I'm just curious if this is going to launch like the Super Power Building. We're halfway through the year it was promised to be opened (which is like the 12th promise that it will open since the last millenium)
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. BlooAnon Member

But with all the secrecy in CoS, this type of teaching via TV shows won't work! If they're teaching others, without them paying for the courses, that's digging into their fundraising financially (not that I mind that at all.) They have too many secret levels to teach in this format.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. If they really want new converts, they should air the dulcet tones that teh great LRH produced when he sang. lol
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Anonymous Member

Maybe Anonymous should launch its own TV channel. Don't ask me how :)
  20. The station will have plenty of low-cost labor. The cult already generates tons of slick bullshit designed to mash down hard every emotional button, especially fear. It will probably be a 24/7/365 pledge drive with a phone number that never leaves the screen.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  21. Anonymous Member

[IMG]
    The upper left scene is hilarious!
  22. muldrake Member

The trick of operating media outlets has worked quite well for other cults, or groups that used to be cults.

The Moonie cult's acquisition of The Washington Times endeared them to right wingers and bought them the ears of influential people.

Similarly, Christian Science has a well-regarded newspaper, the Christian Science Monitor.

However, in both cases, the group has maintained some distance from editorial control, lending the media outlets some credibility.

I don't see Scientology doing that. If anything, I see this as an even bigger way for them to embarrass themselves by putting out a torrent of weird, creepy media that will be used against them.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  23. Anonymous Member

And the sooner the better! :D
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. The Wrong Guy Member

Like they do on Twitter. Check any tweet from any of these sixteen Twitter accounts:

http://twitter.com/#!/Scientology/following
  25. CarterUSP Member

True.
    I'd expect it to be a full propaganda machine. I guess they'd use it for anti psych programmes, extensive footage of teh vulture ministers going round saving the world, inflated LRH biographies, idle morgue openings and adverts for Flag.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  26. ZORRO Member

are they gonna aired the famous twin peaks episode 'trapped in the closet "
    please john and tom ....
    • Funny Funny x 1
  27. ZORRO Member

no adds
    only their propaganda circus
    well could it be worse than fox channels ?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. Anonymous Member

First, Scientology needs to do the fundraising, to pay for air time.

Then, hiring of Sea Org to staff it.

And fundraising, to pay for state of the art equipment.

And training of new staff.

And fundraising. Did fundraising get mentioned yet?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. Sonichu Moderator

Gentle Anon, I was referring to the Super Power Building. I can't find it right now, but I think someone said the Church would open the super power building this year 2012. It's July already and a grand opening hasn't even been announced.
  30. RightOn Member

since the COS won't be able to discuss anything too involved, and they don't pray or believe in a God except Hubbard, I imagine they are going to center around promo of their anti drug message and show footage of the VM's all the time?The VMs in Haiti and other disaster locations like Katrina. I also think they will press the detox crap and Narconon. I hope they do push the detox crap, because that will bring them closer to fraud charges.
    I would hate it a whole bunch if people start blindly donating to them.

They will get donations from people that are not even involved with COS and the donor's names and numbers will be forever kept in their data banks and those donors will be hounded. I mean all they can do is their usual promo tapes and show all their shiny empty buildings and personal testimonies. It will be more like a constant COS infomercial chuck full of political figure endorsements. Better keep our eyes out for who exactly are in these promos.
    So is the NOI going to be involved in this too? lol Won't they wonder if they are not?
  31. Anonymous Member

Pretty sure Miscavige announced it at either the New Year's event or LRH's birthday event.
  32. Anonymous Member

WHO would watch that shite? Please.
  33. CarterUSP Member

Reckon this will go the way of supah powah. Donate, donate, donate, then nothing. Then donate more.
    If it did go ahead then all it would do is open up the cult to more overt criticism for the lies of narconon, applied scholastics and the LRH biographies.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  34. Anonymous Member

Let them do it. We can then post umpteen threads about each footbullet they fire.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  35. Anonymous Member

181105robertson.jpg
  36. anonsoldier Member

So, when LRH was saving the US government from crazy physicists, was this BEFORE or AFTER he was placed in a stateside hospital for the blindness and ulcers he then cured himself of? Also, I love that he and his "Coast Guard friend" apparently took it upon themselves to subvert the chain of command and engage in action outside the scope of their responsibilities and without the approval of their superiors. He was a surface warfare officer (and a shitty one at that) who thought he was an intelligence officer (but he didn't have any) AND a nuclear officer (which probably didn't even exist at the time).

Man loved wearing a lot of hats.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  37. CarterUSP Member

And was this before or after dabbling with the occult?
  38. Anonymous Member

There is a very remote possibility that the clams could pull this off.

The kind of suckers they'd pull in would be trailer park drunks, but worst case scenario it'll be a laughing stock filled with juicy video history from the cults vast archives of - uh... well OK I guess Davey erased it all.

Nothing to see here. Just a cult and a blank screen, no superpowers, no eternity.

LOL
    • Funny Funny x 2