Customize

Tony Ortega: Scientology Mythbusting with Jon Atack

Discussion in 'Media' started by The Wrong Guy, Feb 2, 2013.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  2. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. RightOn Member

Wow, I need time to go through that article.

Atack says
    "If you do not disagree with Hubbard on any point, that is conclusive proof that you are not self-determined."

Wonder how man Indies that this applies to? and I wonder what they think about this article.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 3
  5. RightOn Member

^^^^
    Wow this was like one of my favorite articles!
    Very interesting and wonderful information.
    People who protest outside the orgs would benefit greatly on what to say to scilons too.
    I also want to read all that was mentioned.
    Big sloppy kiss to Jon Atack!
    • Like Like x 2
  6. The Wrong Guy Member

Jon Atack looks back at his final Scientology auditing session — and how he broke free

Jon, it’s been another great year with you here in the Underground Bunker. What better way to head into the holidays than with another deep dive from you into what challenges people face when they leave the Church of Scientology.

JON: I wanted to start this week by thanking the comments crew at the Bunker for the many stimulating remarks these last few weeks. Let me admit that when I came back to the fray, 18 months back, I was very apprehensive. So much so that I have only actually read the comments on about seven or eight of my pieces, just in case the hounds of the Thunderdome were on the prowl.

I am about the only person I know who left Scientology untraumatized, but they made up for it in the years that followed. I think that I can claim to have been the most harassed person outside the US during the next 16 years.

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2014/12/20/jo...ology-auditing-session-and-how-he-broke-free/
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Many thanks to Tony Ortega and Jon Atack, this approach to dealing with long-term indoctrinated Scientology devotees is priceless. The levels of ingrained indoctrination in Hubbard's totalitarian mind-set are indeed quite difficult to penetrate and the amount of time involved to reach his devotees can vary greatly from one Scientologist to the next.

Many ex-Scientologists see the light fairly quickly, sadly many also do not and desperately cling to the 'Tech' long after they get out of 'corporate' Scientology in favor of 'Independent' Scientology which keeps them trapped in the LRH mindset and quite exploitable, imho.

http://tonyortega.org/2014/12/06/jo...vinced-scientologist-on-the-road-to-recovery/

It's an amazing article, so very helpful, I thank you again.
    • Like Like x 4
  8. The Wrong Guy Member

Jon Atack: What it’s like for the Scientologist who gives up the dream of being superhuman

Jon has previously talked about how long it can take a former Scientologist to recover after the years of indoctrination laid in during auditing. But why does it take so much time? In this piece, Atack suggests that a quicker recovery is possible — but only if a former church member can see clearly how L. Ron Hubbard’s ideas were so empty to begin with. Take it away, Jon.

JON: I loathe the thought that recovery is inevitably arduous and takes years. Some people recover from Scientology very quickly. This is because they have the courage, the support, and the necessary tools. Just because some have struggled for years — even decades — is no reason to believe that there is any pattern or a template, either. Take heart, have courage, find support and understand the thinking necessary to escape the “processing” and “indoctrination” that Hubbard created, in a failed attempt to heal his own constant physical and mental illness.

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2015/01/03/jo...t-who-gives-up-the-dream-of-being-superhuman/
    • Like Like x 1
  9. The Wrong Guy Member

Jon Atack: Scientology’s ‘training routines’ and their relationship to meditation

We’re encouraged, Jon, that you’ve been receiving messages about your pieces here in the Bunker. And this week, you wanted to respond to one question in particular, about meditation and Scientology’s odd ‘training routines.’ We’re curious about this too. Take it away, Jon.

JON: I received this enquiry, just before Xmas, and think it is relevant to any former member who is wondering about the relationship between meditation and TRs. I have meditated for forty years, and regard it as a very helpful practice, though, many methods called “meditation” are simply forms of self-hypnosis and may have negative effects (for which, see below).

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2015/01/10/jo...outines-and-their-relationship-to-meditation/
    • Like Like x 3
  10. The Wrong Guy Member

Jon Atack: Scientology’s elusive ‘Clears’ and ‘Operating Thetans’ — where have they been?

Jon, we’ve wondered about the earliest group around L. Ron Hubbard when he published Dianetics, and where were the results of this research he had supposedly done before the book came out. As you point out, we thoroughly went through the book and were pretty surprised by its claims about how easily it would be to create Clears. And so we’re very excited that you’re taking a close look at that period and the claims Hubbard made for Clear and later “OT.” Take it away!

JON: I spend very little time surfing the Internet. I find that researching my pieces for the Bunker uses every moment of my spare time. I did spend a little while in Jeff Hawkins’ fascinating corner of the Bunker, last year, but I’ve finally peeked at the equally fascinating Blogging Dianetics series, with Vance Woodward, and was struck by this L. Ron Hubbard statement (as I have been several times before, in the — oh, no! — forty years since I first read it):

“You will find as you read that many things ‘you always knew were so’ are articulated here. You will be gratified to know that you held not opinions but scientific facts in many of your concepts of existence.”

About three decades ago, it was first put to me that Scientology snares people, because it is based upon the truth. This idea nagged me, because it seemed to me that Scientology is based upon telling people what they want to hear. Mixed in with a certain amount of folkloric wisdom (ie, bullshit). “What’s true for you is true,” minus the elaboration that you should check it thoroughly before accepting it. “Scientific fact” was not of much interest to Ron Hubbard, much less so scientific method.

Continued here: http://tonyortega.org/2015/01/31/jon-atack-3/
    • Like Like x 1
  11. The Wrong Guy Member

Jon Atack visits an org | The Underground Bunker

Jon sent us just a short anecdote this time, which only whets our appetite for more. But we know he’s a busy man and has a lot going on that will come to fruition later this year. We’ll take what we can get. Tell it, Jon.

JON: In 1993, I was in Chicago, working on a documentary project with Carlos Cornier. The documentary did not see the light of day, though some of my footage went into an A&E piece, which also featured David Miscavige. We had done a week of filming in England. Now Carlos wanted to add some American colour.

We rolled up in front of the Bahá’í temple, because Carlos thought it would make a wonderful backdrop. A representative of the faith quickly shooed us off the property, so, rather than a shot of their pristine gardens, we included the whole building, by filming on the street. I well remember the puzzled looks of the faithful, as I extemporized about the Waco Siege, which was unraveling in Texas.

Carlos wanted some frames of me in front of the Chicago Org. It was almost ten years since I’d set foot in a Scientology establishment, but Carlos insisted that all I had to do was chat into a lapel mike while browsing the volcano book dump in the store window.

Carlos and his co-director set up their tripod across the street, and I mumbled into the microphone. Two burly chaps rushed out of the Org and across the street, but I was distracted, because at that very moment, a voice cooed, “Would you like to come inside?”

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2015/03/07/jo...o-the-richest-scientologist-gets-even-richer/
    • Like Like x 1
  12. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  13. furball Member

A decent book. My copy is pretty old and yellowed nowadays but it still occasionally serves as a useful reference. If you know nothing or almost nothing about the mechanics of mind control, then this book just may be the ideal starter for you.

Chapter 1: Exit-counseling: The background
    Chapter 2: My Life in the Unification Church
    Chapter 3: The Threat: Mind Control Cults Today
    Chapter 4: Understanding Mind Control
    Chapter 5: Cult Psychology
    Chapter 6: Cult Assessment: How to Protect Yourself
    Chapter 7: Exit-counseling: Freedom Without Coercion
    Chapter 8: How to Help
    Chapter 9: Unlocking Cult Mind Control
    Chapter 10: Strategies for Recovery
    Chapter 11: The Next Step

Appendix: Lifton's Eight Criteria for Mind Control
    Resource Organizations
    • Like Like x 2
  14. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  15. The Wrong Guy Member

Jon Atack: When the militant Scientologist falters, you find a cowering 12-year-old inside

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker

Jon, we want to thank for another lengthy and thoughtful piece which once again gets at the most fundamental effects of Scientology on its members. This one really blew us away, and considering the things you’ve already written for us, that’s saying a lot, we think. Lay it on us.

JON: I have been away from the Bunker for a while. In part, this is because I’ve said most of what I came back to say. My concern is solely for the recovery of those afflicted by Scientology, so I am ready to leave the fray, once more. I hope to contribute the occasional squib to the Bunker, because, for the most part, the response to my blogs has been encouraging. Indeed, I was very pleasantly surprised to find that an eminent psychologist approved of my piece about paralleling. Fame at last!

I’ve been busy trying to set up the five day seminar in Toronto and the attempt to bring together 30 experts – some by video or Skype, but many in real life – to deconstruct Scientology. At the same time, I’ve been helping to create a non-profit that will address the broader issues of fanaticism and exploitative persuasion in our society.

Part of this last, highly rewarding, task has been the authorship of a primer on the subject of secret influence. I finished the first draft a few days ago. We hope to publish very soon. However, today, I’ve realized that I have not emphasised one of the most important aspects of cult involvement in my Bunker blogs.

So, here goes. Anyone who talks with committed cult members notices the occasional identity shift. One minute, there is the state called ‘enthusiasm’ by Scientologists, with the glittering, locked on eye-contact, and the next, the eyes move freely again and lose that glitter. A Sea Org member’s skin can turn from grey to pink, in a moment. Gestures become less forced. The eyes smile, along with the lips, in a natural or duchenne smile. Physiological changes are unmistakably evident.

It is possible to bring about these changes, simply by reminding the person of life before the cult. Family photographs, memories of school days, the first kiss. Anything which sends the mind back before the cult identity was formed.

The cult identity? Say what? We form a personality from the strands of identity. We have many identities, none of them distinct or separate personalities (multiple personality disorder is a very different matter). We behave differently in different circumstances. We speak and act differently if talking to our mothers, our siblings, our children, the boss, our employees, to friends, to strangers and so on. We use different words and gestures. We may speak more or less politely. We may use uncouth language with friends or co-workers that we would not use with our grandmothers.

This is also affected by mood. If annoyed or satisfied, angry or sad, our communication will also change, but we still have a different way of expressing that mood to different people. These identities shift in the kaleidoscope of everyday life to form the continuum of personality.

A cult group imposes a single identity onto the personality. Rules are established for behaviour and mood. This identity will follow a strict set of behaviours towards superiors and inferiors within the cult, and, quite usually, restrict all behaviour towards non-members into a narrow range.

In Scientology, the permitted mood is “enthusiasm” – even though Hubbard said in Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health that the ideal human being, or “Clear,” will have the right response to any given situation (be afraid if attacked by a bear, is, I think, one of his examples). Scientologists are meant to be enthusiastic. So they pretend, save when euphoric post-auditing.

This synthetic, parasitic, induced identity will keep all other identities in check. It is pinned in place by thought-stopping clichés, such as “make it go right” (Scientology has literally hundreds to choose from). It points towards one of the most scary aspects of fanaticism, which is called “doubling.”

Long ago, when I used to talk to committed members, I sometimes found myself talking to two quite distinct people. One would be hard “on purpose” and determined to wreck my life in any way possible, but then a baffled twelve-year old would emerge, and tell me that he could not survive in the hostile world outside Scientology. Hard to explain that life in the real world is so much easier than life in the Sea Org. But institutionalization is one of the many problems that a former Sea Org member will have to cope with.

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2015/05/16/jo...lters-you-find-a-cowering-12-year-old-inside/
    • Like Like x 4
  16. RightOn Member

caried over from Garcia thread:
    Wow great article by Jon.
    I guess I never thought of the difference between deprogramming a 1st and 2nd generation scientologist. Very interesting. Very sad to think that the 2nd generation scilons have no childhood to go back to.I never thought of it that way. What Scientology does to children is beyond unacceptable. It's illegal and simply has to stop. Its out right child abuse.
    Jon's story needs to be heard by towns that are considering letting a Narconon facility open, to schools who let COS front groups in to talk to to their kids and especially the US government. And everyone else in between. For any person to think the study tech is not dangerous, this article needs to read.

I would like to wish Jon all the luck in his new endeavor. And thank Jon for all he has done and does!
    <3 My sword sir!
    • Like Like x 1
  17. The Wrong Guy Member

Jon Atack: Auditing and recovered memory: why do Scientologists accept it as fact?

Jon surprised us with yet another piece, and once again we are so glad he did. One of the things about Scientology that’s rarely discussed (because Scientologists are under strict instructions not to talk about it) are their “memories” of past life events.

Even former Scientologists, we’ve found, have been somewhat reluctant to discuss what they “remembered” under Scientology auditing. Jon dives into this, discussing what he thinks is really going on. We think you’ll find his thoughts fascinating.

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2015/05/30/jo...mory-why-do-scientologists-accept-it-as-fact/
    • Like Like x 2
  18. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  19. hokum Member

It's usually worth persevering with these, but I do find Jon's prose style so dry, that staying focused on it is always such a slog...
  20. The Wrong Guy Member

Jon Atack: Scientology’s snitch culture, and how ex-members must relearn the notion of privacy

Excerpt:

Vaughn and Stacy Young told me that they had each waited seven years before telling the other that they wanted to leave. They were scared of being reported. I know of more than one case where a spouse did make such a report, with dire consequences.

Privacy is a basic human right, written into constitutions and declarations the world over. If you want to control people, this is one of the rights that must be stripped away. It is second nature among Scientologists to deny privacy, and regaining privacy and granting it to others is essential in recovery from Scientology.

http://tonyortega.org/2015/07/12/jo...x-members-must-relearn-the-notion-of-privacy/
    • Like Like x 2
  21. The Wrong Guy Member

Jon Atack: The mystery of mysteries that all Scientologists chase — and can never find

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, September 5, 2015

Excerpt:

For Scientologists, the great mystery behind the curtains is “full operating thetan.” At this stage, which Hubbard first promised in 1952 before he had even come up with the expression “Operating Thetan,” the individual will be able to “exteriorize” from the human body and travel around the universe, at will, performing supernatural acts along the way to the amazement of all concerned.

That state was codified under the title “Operating Thetan Section VIII.” In the 1970 printing of the book Scientology 0-8, OT VIII is defined as “ABILITY TO BE AT CAUSE KNOWINGLY AND AT WILL OVER THOUGHT, LIFE, FORM, MATTER, ENERGY, SPACE AND TIME, SUBJECTIVE AND OBJECTIVE.” Superpowers, indeed! If a planet annoys you, just blow it up. Heck, if a galaxy annoys you, just blow it up!

The trial run for OT VIII failed. The first OT VIII, Otto Roos – who was also one of only five Class XII auditors trained personally by Hubbard – was ejected from Scientology in the early 70s for finding hundreds of discreditable “rock slams” – indicating “evil purposes” – in Hubbard’s auditing folders. I have been on good terms with Otto for several decades, but, much as I like him, I have yet to see anything supernatural in his behavior.
    David Miscavige was aware of the difficulty, when he took over Scientology from Hubbard’s appointed heir, Pat Broeker. His first action was to remove all of Broeker’s filing cabinets. As the redoubtable proprietor of the Bunker found, Miscavige even hired PIs to watch Broeker for 24 years (and, no, I didn’t say “hours,” I said “years”) at a tax-deductible cost of over $10 million.

http://tonyortega.org/2015/09/05/jo...-all-scientologists-chase-and-can-never-find/
    • Like Like x 2
  22. The Wrong Guy Member

When Scientology makes you a villain, you understand that it rules its members by fear

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, October 17, 2015

Jon Atack is the author of A Piece of Blue Sky, one of the very best books on L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology. He has a new edition of the book for sale, and for more than a year on Saturdays he helped us sift through the legends, myths, and contested facts about Scientology that tend to get hashed and rehashed in books, articles, and especially on the Internet. He was kind enough to send us a new post.

http://tonyortega.org/2015/10/17/wh...understand-that-it-rules-its-members-by-fear/
    • Like Like x 1
  23. The Wrong Guy Member

Jon Atack: Scientology’s ‘past lives’ don’t pass the giggle test | The Underground Bunker

Excerpt:

By the time I abandoned Scientology, I no longer believed that my own past life memories were necessarily true. As I talked with more former members and learned about false memory syndrome, I came to believe that most memories recovered in auditing are false. All too often, the preclear simply recounts the first thing that comes to mind, and this is steered by the e-meter – a notoriously fallible machine. There is no external checking, so preclears can develop their delusions at will.

http://tonyortega.org/2015/10/25/jon-atack-scientologys-past-lives-dont-pass-the-giggle-test/
    • Like Like x 1
  24. The Wrong Guy Member

Jon Atack: The ‘Axioms’ — L. Ron Hubbard’s attempt to make Scientology sound ‘sciencey’ | The Underground Bunker

If you want a religion, conform to people’s expectations about religion. Have a cross and some triangles wrapped around a snake, and make up some fancy dress up for preferably elaborate rituals.

If you want to launch a new science, however, you will need symbols – including a few Greek letters – and a specialized language. How about some “axioms?” That sounds scientific!

Perry Chapdelaine told me that he co-wrote the Axioms of Dianetics with Hubbard, for precisely that reason: Hubbard wanted something that “sounds scientific.” They spent an evening with a bottle of Scotch and created something that very few people have ever managed to read but which has that “sciencey” feel (for more on such “sciencey” creations, see Ben Goldacre’s excellent Bad Science).

http://tonyortega.org/2015/10/31/jo...s-attempt-to-make-scientology-sound-sciencey/
    • Like Like x 1
  25. RightOn Member

Scientology created over scotch
    Now DM soaked in scotch hmmmm
    • Like Like x 1
  26. The Wrong Guy Member

Jon Atack: Scientology’s notion of ‘case gain,’ and how it reinforces the prison of belief

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, December 11, 2015

Jon, thanks for thinking of us this week. We know you have been busy putting out a new book that talks about a number of different subjects relevant to what we’re interested in here. We’re hoping to dig into it soon. In the meantime, you have an excellent meditation for us today.

JON: Believe it or not, I spend very little time thinking about Scientology, but occasionally something will bubble to the surface. A friend used the expression “case gain” last week and it gave me pause for thought.

For nine years, I pursued “case gain.” Now, the expression seems all but meaningless to me. Let us take a closer look at the notion.

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2015/12/11/jo...n-and-how-it-reinforces-the-prison-of-belief/
    • Like Like x 1
  27. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 4
  28. ^Not to be missed, if you haven't seen it before, as I hadn't.
  29. The Wrong Guy Member

S.I. Hayakawa’s later shot at Scientology

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, January 9, 2016

Yesterday, Jon Atack reminded us that in 1951, California English professor and General Semantics promoter S.I. Hayakawa wrote a devastating takedown of L. Ron Hubbard’s book Dianetics in an academic journal.

In 1975, writing a nationally syndicated column the year before he ran for US Senate, Hayakawa recycled his earlier review with some updated observations for a brief piece that ran in many newspapers. We managed to track down a copy that appeared in the El Paso Herald-Post on January 21, 1975.

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/01/09/ar...cooper-described-in-thrilling-account-kirkus/
  30. The Wrong Guy Member

Atack: What I meant when I said Scientologists suffer from arrogance when they leave

By Jon Atack, The Underground Bunker, January 16, 2016

Quote:

My dear friend Gerry Armstrong has recently taken me to task for suggesting that 99 percent of escapees from Scientology suffer from arrogance when they leave. I made my remark in the foreword to Chris Shelton’s new book and I stand by it (as well as my assertion that Chris showed humility in putting aside the arrogant notions of Scientology so quickly after he left).

It may not have been clear enough that I was speaking of the newly escaped, rather than castigating all former members (several hundred of whom I count as friends, most of them long past the embarrassing egotism of Scientology). Even the most casual reader of the comments at the Bunker will soon become aware that we are not an arrogant crowd for the most part (though I probably have my moments and beg my readers’ forgiveness).

So, let me make it clear: refugees from Scientology almost all still believe Hubbard’s formulation – at the point of their departure from the cult. They believe themselves demigods who can control others’ minds and matter through sheer force of will.

I spent nine years believing. I was never a live-in member, so I had a comparatively easy life (I even defected to art school for two years). Nonetheless, my belief did not shift for a single moment during those nine years. I was a true believer.

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/01/16/at...ogists-suffer-from-arrogance-when-they-leave/
    • Like Like x 2
  31. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology’s demonology: Where L. Ron Hubbard got the idea for your space cooties

By Jon Atack, The Underground Bunker, April 2, 2016

Please excuse my long absence from the Bunker. I have been involved in the creation of the Open Minds Foundation for the last eighteen months and it has commanded my full attention since the new year began.

My new book, Opening Minds: the secret world of manipulation, undue influence and brainwashing is available through Amazon on kindle. The print version will be available in a few weeks time. In it, I’ve expanded upon my fascination with Scientology and its elaborate thought reform program, showing how the same dynamics operate not only in other totalist cult groups, but also in terrorist groups, gangs, paedophile rings, and to greater or lesser extent throughout our society as a whole.

Now that we have launched the website (and please do take a look), I have found some time to consider the age-old problem of body thetans for my fellow Bunkerites.

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/04/02/sc...-hubbard-got-the-idea-for-your-space-cooties/
    • Like Like x 1
  32. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  33. The Wrong Guy Member

Atack: Contradictions in L. Ron Hubbard’s “tech” only increase Scientology discipline

By Jon Atack, May 21, 2016

Quote:

Tony has given us an insightful examination of what may be an admission by L. Ron Hubbard in Monday’s story, “Did L. Ron Hubbard believe his own rap?”

Here is my two and a half cents on this Hubbard statement, which comes from the Philadelphia “Doctorate” Course. Hubbard can be heard to say, “Now, all this of course is — I’m just kidding you mostly. I don’t believe that you’ve been in
 the universe 76 trillion years. I don’t believe you have any past before birth. I don’t believe
 that there is any reason whatsoever for this universe to be here except some fellow called the 
devil or something that built it. And I don’t believe any of these things. And I don’t want to 
be agreed with about them. It infuriates me to be agreed with about them. So I’m not asking
 for anybody to agree with me, but I’m not asking for anybody to disagree with me either.”

The Philadelphia “Doctorate” Course has been sold in tape and text formats since the lectures were given, back in December 1952. A complete set of cassette tapes was issued in the early 1980s – I had a set, with amateurish transcripts in ring binders, by the time I left in 1983. But the lectures had long been available on reel to reel tape.

This is to say that this particular lecture has been available, on offer and heavily promoted by the Mother Org of Scientology since 1952. It is by no means obscure material. And after reading that utterance by Hubbard, Tony asked, “Is the notion incorrect that Scientologists are expected to take Hubbard at his word and believe that everything he said was true?”

Everything Hubbard said is to be taken as an aspect of the “technology,” and a whole courseload of documents are gathered into the “Keeping Scientology Working” (KSW) series. Various “policy letters” from the Keeping Scientology Working series appear at the beginning of every major (i.e. more than $100) course. Hubbard’s Technical Degrades is always among them.

It makes clear that not one word that Hubbard said can be excised, but also assures us that more recent work does not supersede earlier.

So, for instance, the Dianetics technique of 1950 was brought back into use in the late 1970s, despite Hubbard’s severe criticism of those very methods in the early 1950s (for instance, “Sometimes people go into a hypnotic trance by accident with this count system … so at the Foundation we no longer use it,” Introducing Dianetics, 10 August 1950).

This is an aspect of the “double bind” that Hubbard approaches in his later False Data Stripping material – contradictory statements tend to increase reliance upon authority. Scientology is jam-packed with such contradictions.

According to Technical Degrades, all material has equal value. The only exception would be material that is rated more important by Hubbard himself, as no one else has the right to determine the relative importance. Otherwise, every statement is of equal value.

Among the “high crimes” listed in the policy letter are these: “1. Abbreviating an official course in Dianetics and Scientology so as to lose the full theory, processes and effectiveness of the subjects. 2. Adding comments to checksheets or instructions labeling any material ‘background’ or ‘not used now’ or ‘old’ or any similar action which will result in the student not knowing, using and applying the data in which he is being trained.”

And: “4. Failing to strike from any checksheet remaining in use meanwhile any such comments as ‘historical,’ ‘background,’ ‘not used,’ ‘old,’ etc., or VERBALLY STATING IT TO STUDENTS.” [emphasis in original].

Lest there be any misunderstanding, the final point is, “10. Acting in any way calculated to lose the technology of Dianetics and Scientology to use or impede its use or shorten its materials or its application.”

So, Hubbard’s words must be taken as literal truth. The earliest statement of Hubbard’s intentions that we have is a 1938 letter addressed to “Skipper,” Hubbard’s pet name for his first wife. Journalist Steve Cannane asked me how I could prove the provenance of this letter and the answer is simple: It was filed at the US Copyright Office at the Library of Congress by Norman Starkey, executor of Hubbard’s estate (“LRH Archives,” Registration number TXu 298-918, 29 October 1987). This letter is vital to any understanding of Hubbard’s motives.

Hubbard tells his first wife, “Personal immortality is only to be gained through the printed word, barred note or painted canvas or hard grabite [sic – granite]. Foolishly perhaps, but determined none the less, I have high hopes of smashing my name into history so violently that it will take a legendary form even if all the books are destroyed. That goal is the real goal as far as I am concerned.”

Here we find the shocking notion that the creator of Scientology did not believe in personal immortality, although he had completed his fabled text Excalibur only a few months before writing this letter.

Hubbard insisted that for anything to persist it must contain a lie – an “alter-isness.” Once the truth of anything has been perceived, it will “as-is” or disappear. So, what is the lie that ensures that Scientology will persist? Perhaps the lie is simply that Hubbard did not believe in the “whole track” or “past lives”?

Asked by Charlie Nairn in 1968 if he believed in reincarnation, Hubbard hesitated noticeably. Charlie then said that Hubbard’s followers believe, and the Old Man of the Sea Org answered in the affirmative without reflection. Nairn’s film – The Shrinking World of L. Ron Hubbard – will make even the most devoted Dev-OT uneasy.

Hubbard did place some aspects of his “technology” above the rest, including the Scientology Axioms. Here we find significant insight into Hubbard’s beliefs. For instance, Axiom 31 assures us, “Goodness and badness, beautifulness and ugliness, are alike considerations and have no other basis than opinion.”

This is quite a blow to the ethics and justice system of Scientology, but it does indicate Hubbard’s view of morality and ethics: just opinions. Hubbard did not feel bound by any ethical code. If someone had annoyed him, they could be lied to, tricked, sued and even destroyed.

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/05/21/at...ds-tech-only-increase-scientology-discipline/
    • Like Like x 1
  34. Kilia Member

Watching this video, it just dawned on me that LRon and Trump have the same confusing mentality!
  35. The Wrong Guy Member

When you postulate upon a star: L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology’s funny made-up words

By Jon Atack, June 18, 2016

Ron Hubbard surely understood the importance of words: While Shakespeare added over a thousand new definitions to the English language, Hubbard left two 500-page dictionaries. However, where Shakespeare’s language is insightful, poetic, and beautiful, Hubbard’s is more usually obfuscating, awkward, and ugly.

Hubbard said that conceptual understanding can only come once you understand the words, but by focusing solely on the words, he distracted us from any detailed examination of those concepts. Believers are denied the chance to talk about those concepts, which Hubbard forbade as “verbal technology.” So, the words are “cleared” but the concepts remain unexplored. We could not see the concepts for the words, or the wood for the trees.

A fine example of a concept slipped into a word that actually creates new meaning is the word postulate. In its origins, a postulate is a demand. In logic, it means, “A proposition demanded or claimed to be granted; especially something claimed or assumed as a basis for reasoning, discussion, or belief; hence, a fundamental condition or principle…” (Oxford English Dictionary).

Without allowing any discussion, Hubbard transforms the word postulate into “a self-created truth” or “that self-determined thought which starts, stops or changes past, present, or future events.” This second definition (from Advanced Procedures and Axioms), bothered me even as a believer. How do we “start, stop, or change” past events?

It was only after I had left Scientology that Hubbard’s method for changing the past became evident – I compared tens of his autobiographies and discovered the many contradictions between them: indeed, no two were consistent. In Hubbard’s world, the past is changed by lying – a simple form of “postulate.”

Hubbard also defined postulate as “a prediction,” or “causative thinkingness” (a word Shakespeare managed to avoid). All of this verbiage to hide a simple change in the believer’s information processing: A postulate is nothing more nor less than a wish. Hubbard was determined to make his rag-bag of ideas seem scientific. So pompous, nebulous language like “postulate” fits perfectly. It seems solid enough at first, but like so much in Hubbard’s weltanschauung, it melts like sea foam in the slightest breeze.

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/06/18/wh...hubbard-and-scientologys-funny-made-up-words/
    • Like Like x 2
  36. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  37. Quentinanon Member

• Like Like x 1
  38. Straight from the Source: L. Ron Hubbard:
    Scientology is not a Religion, it's an exact Science of controlling Lies!
    (Thanks for clearing that up, Ron.)
    • Like Like x 1
  39. The Wrong Guy Member

A rare gem from 1968: When the Daily Mail tracked down L. Ron Hubbard in Tunisia

By Tony Ortega, August 17, 2016

Quote:

Once again our great tipsters come through, and we just want again to express our gratitude. We’re deep into several big projects that we expect to turn into good things down the road, so for now we appreciate all the help we get from our great correspondents. (Speaking of big projects, these dog days of summer will soon end, and Scientology is going to have a very interesting autumn. We know of at least four major newspaper pieces coming, two television series, and several books, and that’s all on top of Louis Theroux’s movie, coming out in Australia in September and the UK in October. It’s going to be some cornucopia at harvest time this year!)

Today’s treat comes courtesy of a correspondent who pores through old newspaper files, tracking down things for us that may have been overlooked. He turned up a real gem this week, and we wanted to share it with you.

It’s a rare interview of L. Ron Hubbard conducted on the yacht Royal Scotman in 1968, before the ship was renamed the Apollo. The ship was docked in the Tunisian port city of Bizerte (spelled Bizerta in the article), and Daily Mail reporter Peter Smith tracked Hubbard down there for this August 6, 1968 article.

Later that same month, a television interview of Hubbard on the ship was featured on Granada TV’s World in Action program, titled “The Shrinking World of L. Ron Hubbard.” If you’re familiar with that program, you’ll see that Peter Smith got some similar responses to his questions. But in other ways, this print interview went into some interesting areas the TV program did not.

Jon Atack mentions this Daily Mail story in his 1990 book A Piece of Blue Sky, but the article itself doesn’t appear to be online. So again, thank you tipster for tracking it down.

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/08/17/a-...y-mail-tracked-down-l-ron-hubbard-in-tunisia/
  40. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  41. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  42. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  43. The Wrong Guy Member

44. The Wrong Guy Member

Atack: The forgotten history of disproving Scientology’s status as a “religion”

By Jon Atack, October 8, 2016

Quote:

I never really considered Scientology a religion. I accept that if others want to, they can, but I agree with Professor Hugh Urban: “If anything, Scientology is a self-conscious attempt to make a religion, that is, a concerted effort to use explicitly religious sorts of discourse to describe, defend, define and redefine itself.” (The Church of Scientology: A History of a New Religion, p.211).

Initially, religious status was a way of avoiding any further lawsuits from the American Medical Association for practicing medicine without a license: In the US you can claim to cure cancer (as Hubbard did), as long as it is a religious claim.

Helen O’Brien furnished me with the letter Hubbard wrote to her on April 10, 1953, when she headed his organization, where he talks about the financial profits available from the “religion angle.”

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/10/08/at...disproving-scientologys-status-as-a-religion/
    • Like Like x 1
  45. The Wrong Guy Member

Older than Pythagoras, and guaranteed to raise your IQ: What Scientology promised in 1954

By Tony Ortega, October 14, 2016

Quote:

Previously, our tipster who searches through old newspaper clippings found for us a rare interview of L. Ron Hubbard that took place in Tunisia in 1968. One of our favorite revelations in that interview was that Hubbard didn’t deny that he’d claimed to have made trips to “Heaven.”

This time, our archives wrangler found another interesting item, from an earlier era. It was June 1954, and Chicago magazine ran an unbylined piece about visiting some local Scientologists as they went through processing at the local org.

As the writer points out, it had been a few years since Dianetics had exploded on the scene in 1950, and then had just as suddenly faded away. What had become of it?

What the writer apparently didn’t know was that L. Ron Hubbard had been through a horrendous 1951, as his second marriage, to Sara Northrup, fell apart, the Dianetics craze died out, and his foundations went broke. He even absconded to Cuba with Alexis, the baby he and Sara had had in 1950.

Eventually, after giving Alexis back to Sara and then getting a divorce, Hubbard had regrouped in Wichita and then Phoenix, giving himself a new start with something he now called “Scientology.”

In 1954, Scientology was gradually growing when this piece was published. It offers a fun snapshot of that period. We’ll be interested to hear from our experts what they find surprising here for that era. And thank you again, tipster!

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/10/14/ol...se-your-iq-what-scientology-promised-in-1954/
    • Like Like x 1
  46. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology’s biggest lie: That it will teach you to take control of your own life

By Jon Atack, October 19, 2016

Quote:

It is difficult to accept that you’ve been following orders from a guy behind a curtain with a megaphone. Better to make up any excuse than accept the Wizard as he really is and own the embarrassment. How was it that we became dependent when we had been promised “self-determinism”?

We are assured that through the strict application of “standard technology,” followers will become progressively more “self-determined.” Once this is achieved, they will seek to become “pan-determined,” but before entering this bodhisattva-state of compassion for all beings, “self-determinism” must be attained.

This is the heart of Scientology: if you don’t become more self-determined during your involvement, then Scientology has not worked for you – or you’ve been subjected to “out tech” in Hubbard’s justification for the usual failures. Either way, it’s time to quit. If you are losing “self-determinism,” then you should run as quick as quick can in the opposite direction.

Let’s forage among the many definitions of “self-determinism” in the Lexicon Hubbardicon (OK, the Tech Dictionary):

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/10/19/sc...l-teach-you-to-take-control-of-your-own-life/
    • Like Like x 1
  47. The Wrong Guy Member

Who was responsible when Scientology finally paid Lawrence Wollersheim a lot of thin dimes?

By Tony Ortega, October 22, 2016

Quote:

On some Saturdays (and on other days), we’re fortunate here at the Underground Bunker to publish an occasional item by Jon Atack. His 1990 book, A Piece of Blue Sky, was one of the first that we read for a history of L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology, and it remains one of the very best books on the subject. That’s partly because Atack speaks from experience, having spent years in Scientology and rising into its “OT” levels, but also because of his many years of dogged research. Few people have the breadth of knowledge about Scientology’s first 40 years as Jon Atack.

Two weeks ago, Jon submitted a piece to us that recounted a specific period of Scientology history, and about how his research had helped Lawrence Wollersheim finally collect a judgment from the church after more than two decades of suing Scientology.

We ourselves had previously written about the long legal ordeal of Larry Wollersheim, a former Scientologist who sued the church because he said its processes had harmed him. Wollersheim won a huge $30 million judgment in a famous 1986 trial in Los Angeles, but the amount was then reduced on appeal to $2.5 million. Even then the church vowed never to pay “one thin dime to Wollersheim.” It wasn’t until May 2002, 16 years after his trial victory, that Wollersheim finally collected his money, which by then had grown to nearly $9 million with interest. After interviewing attorneys involved in the case, that fall we prepared a 7,000-word cover story about the entire Wollersheim saga when the newspaper we were working for, New Times Los Angeles, suddenly shut down. It wasn’t until 2008, six years later, that we finally published that story at the Village Voice.

Anyway, we bring that up just to explain that we already had a pretty good basic understanding of what Wollersheim went through to finally collect his money. The final push came from the hard work from some very smart attorneys, as well as a brilliant affidavit prepared by Robert Vaughn Young, the former Scientology spokesman who had turned critic, and who had prepared the detailed document even as he was fighting the cancer that he succumbed to in 2003.

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/10/22/wh...aid-lawrence-wollersheim-a-lot-of-thin-dimes/
    • Like Like x 1
  48. The Wrong Guy Member

Amassing the real history of Scientology has been a long and dramatic relay race

By Jon Atack, October 29, 2016

Quote:

I’m stirred by the Great Wollersheim Debate to make a few historical remarks. Lawrence rightly says that his case was a collaboration between many people; my contribution was but one of many.

The attorneys fought long and hard on his behalf, and Lawrence himself showed unbelievable fortitude. To this day, the only person to defeat Scientology so thoroughly in court is Lawrence. The odds against him were overwhelming, yet he persisted regardless, and we all owe him a great debt.

Lawrence’s words about collaboration are very important. I spent a dozen years gathering and distributing information about Scientology. Sometimes, I was the first person to find a new nugget, but, more often, someone else offered me something that helped to complete a picture.

The “corporate monolith” argument is a case in point. I was surprised to find, when I left the cult in 1983, that there was actually no such thing as the “Church of Scientology.” Rather, there were many interlocking corporations each claiming autonomy. Among these strange creatures were some that I had never heard of – for instance, the Building Investment Committee. Investigation showed that huge sums of money were being transferred between these entities.

The “service” organizations, which offered training and “auditing,” remained in perpetual debt to shady consultancies. From the moment I left – 18 October 1983 – I wanted to find out who was really in charge. I was eventually able to show that there was a “corporate veil,” because factually all of the corporations were under the control of David Miscavige. Legally, such an argument is said to have “pierced the corporate veil” and shown a “corporate monolith.”

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/10/29/am...logy-has-been-a-long-and-dramatic-relay-race/
    • Like Like x 1
  49. The Wrong Guy Member

Trouble for Scientology in 1966: When the Daily Mail called L. Ron Hubbard’s degrees ‘bogus’

By Tony Ortega, November 4, 2016

Quote:

Our helper is back who dives through obscure newspaper archives in search of forgotten Scientology history. Last time, he found for us a really remarkable 1968 interview of L. Ron Hubbard when a Daily Mail reporter, Peter Smith, tracked him down on his ship in Bizerte, Tunisia.

Our tipster kept digging, and found that the Daily Mail was also hot on the trail of Hubbard and Scientology two years earlier, and produced three substantial pieces that year about the movement as it existed then. At the time, there was growing pressure in the UK about doing something about the stream of young people who were coming to East Grinstead from various parts of the world to do something weird they called Scientology.

Today we have the first of those three pieces, published on February 14, 1966 as a Daily Mail “Newsight” investigation into Hubbard’s academic claims. We’ve done our best to preserve the original text as closely as we could. We found it a pretty good general description of Scientology and debunking of Hubbard some 20 years before writers like Russell Miller and Jon Atack and Bent Corydon were able to dive into matters in much greater length with their books after Hubbard’s 1986 death.

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/11/04/tr...ily-mail-called-l-ron-hubbards-degrees-bogus/
  50. The Wrong Guy Member

51. The Wrong Guy Member

Sensibly Speaking Podcast #63: Opening Minds and Scientology's Inevitable Downfall (ft. Jon Atack) | Chris Shelton

This week I am joined by Jon Atack from the Open MInds Foundation to discuss recent activities and updates in how they are providing education and support for those who have suffered from undue influence and mind control. We then take up the Church of Scientology and its ongoing mistakes bringing about its inevitable end.
  52. The Wrong Guy Member

L. Ron Hubbard on the run: When the Daily Mail was hounding Scientology’s founder in ’66

By Tony Ortega, November 10, 2016

Quote:

Last week, we shared a treat with you that had been dug up by one of our helpful correspondents, a February 14, 1966 Daily Mail story that called Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard’s academic credentials bogus.

Hubbard, for example, claimed to have graduated with a degree from George Washington University, but records there showed he left with failing grades after three semesters and never took a degree. The article also pointed out that Hubbard was calling himself “doctor” based on a Ph.D. from a diploma mill.

A few weeks after that Daily Mail article and pretty clearly because of it, on March 8, 1966 Hubbard took out an ad in The Times renouncing the use of the title “doctor.”

Today, we have for you the Daily Mail’s coverage of that, as well as another piece from the same publication later that year recording Hubbard’s deportation from Rhodesia.

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/11/10/l-...mail-was-hounding-scientologys-founder-in-66/
  53. The Wrong Guy Member

The way to break free from Scientology’s mind trap: Admit to yourself that you’re gullible

By Jon Atack, December 10, 2016

Last paragraph:

Thirty years ago, a former Commodore’s Messenger told me that the great thing was that we would never be tricked again. I told him that the great thing is that I know I’m gullible – and that makes me more cautious. It is hard to admit that I was completely taken in, but I’ve come to believe that Scientology and Dianetics are nothing more than an elaborate scam, purposefully designed to ameliorate Ronald Hubbard’s desperate self-loathing. If we can learn from that, we can help others to be more skeptical, more considerate and, perhaps, rein in that pride which always leads eventually to a fall.

http://tonyortega.org/2016/12/10/th...d-trap-admit-to-yourself-that-youre-gullible/
  54. ALWAYS ATACK, NEVER DEFEND

I ❤️ Jon
  55. Quentinanon Member

I don't agree with Atack on the gullible issue.
    Perhaps he sees himself as gullible.
    The way I see it is:
    I was in a transition between adolescent and adult life roles.
    The cult happened to have a morg near where I lived.
    I lacked sufficient social intelligence at the time and was looking for methods of self-improvement.
    I had a trusted class instructor who recruited me into the cult.

Had any of the above conditions not existed, I would not have gotten sucked into scientology.
    • Like Like x 1
  56. I don't disagree with him,
    and I don't disagree with you.

Scientology preys on the emotionally vulnerable- you were at that moment vulnerable (at other points in your life, you might not have been) and the cult found you a suitable target. Gullibility is a separate issue, and it's one we all suffer from. I suspect your vulnerability made you more gullible then, but perhaps it didn't. I do believe some inherent gullibility helped make their continuous lies more palatable, and led you to stay in longer than you otherwise might have. Everyone gets duped. Not everyone has the misfortune to get duped by a monstrous shibboleth that preys on and exploits any weakness.

More than anything, I'm glad you escaped. And with your life and compassion intact.
    Thank you for being here. Thank you for fighting.
    [[if I'm wrong about any of the above, I'm truly sorry- I will amend or remove my post as needed.]]
    • Like Like x 2
  57. This was very close to being the exact case for me, Scientology probably still counts me as a Scientologist even though I only took a couple of courses. Back in the 70's and 80's most of Hubbard's extraordinary claims had not been disproved. I was looking for answers and undecided on what to do with my life.

I was also recruited heavily by my sister who was in a position of power, she was on the Apollo for some time and also a member of Hubbard's Guardian's Office (Anything goes Fair-Game enforcement for any perceived enemy) where she wanted to place me. She never gave up trying to get me in despite disconnecting from me at one point. I spent several months slowly taking the first couple of courses til I disappeared luckily for me.

I was privy to many of their evil fair-game tactics (my sister trusted me as a confidant) sadly including different plans to attack Paulette Cooper that I'm ashamed of in retrospect and actually believed that their 'enemies' deserved it to some point. (Ignorance is my only defense and that's no defense).

My sister was locked in with the dedicated glare that all of Hubbard's over-processed staff seem to have. The promises of a Dianetic Clear had not been fully debunked yet. Perfect memory, perfect vision, freedom from the vast majority of illnesses were promised and promoted heavily back then and Scientology Orgs were bustling with activity.

My sister has since past and there was no talking to her when she was in. I've got several relatives still locked in, many for decades and I don't discuss Scientology's disgusting scam with any of them for the sake of overall family unity. I experienced disconnection for a few years at one time and I pretended to go along to get along because the majority of our family was never in but still loves those still trapped. I feel like a coward but I've never figured a way to keep my entire family together and expose Hubbard's nastiness to those still in. I'm simply waiting for it all to crash in on itself and have them get out that way. It breaks my heart.

I left before I ever truly bought in. I didn't like being forced to give a 'required' success story in front of class in order to pass a course. I gave my 'success' story and quietly walked away. I was very fortunate to get out when I was on the verge of becoming indoctrinated. I don't consider my a true ex-Scientologist, it's much harder to leave for those who become fully indoctrinated.

The vast majority of recruits are very intelligent, curious people who are simply looking to help others and themselves improve their lot in life.

(Full disclosure) I'm a fan of yours, Quentinanon and appreciate the way you have overcome the Hubbard mindset and continue to spend so much time fighting for those still trapped. You've fully recovered in my view. Thanks for all you do to dismantle Hubbard's Horror Show.
    • Like Like x 2
  58. Quentinanon Member

Thanks. And it was a great deal of deep work that took me a decade.
    The Ronny Horror Picture Show is over for me, but many are still in doing "The Time Warp".
    • Like Like x 1
  59. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology’s spies: L. Ron Hubbard’s twisted legacy that proved his sickness

Jon Atack is the author of A Piece of Blue Sky, one of the very best books on L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology. He has a new edition of the book for sale, and for more than three years he’s been helping us sift through the legends, myths, and contested facts about Scientology that tend to get hashed and rehashed in books, articles, and especially on the Internet. - Tony Ortega

L. Ron Hubbard’s list of characteristics for the “antisocial personality” seem to derive largely from Hervey Cleckley’s earlier work, published as The Mask of Sanity. Cleckley laid the foundation for the contemporary understanding of the personality disorder, known elsewhere as psychopathy, sociopathy, and narcissism in its variants.

It is interesting to look at the characteristics in light of Hubbard’s directives to the Guardian’s Office – rebranded as the Office of Special Affairs, after Mary Sue Hubbard and ten others were convicted of burglary, breaking and entering, false imprisonment, kidnapping and theft (Thirty-eight others, including Hubbard and Scientology’s lead attorney, Kendrick Moxon, were named as “unindicted co-conspirators” and there were also successful prosecutions in Canada and France stemming from similar conduct.)

The Guardian’s Office – and most specifically the Information Bureau – was a Suppressive Organization in Hubbard’s own terms. It was designed to destroy critics and silence criticism. I investigated the harassment policy of Scientology in some detail in Let’s sell these people A Piece of Blue Sky several decades ago, and revisited the subject in my primer for the uninitiated, Scientology: the Cult of Greed.

Hubbard said, “If anyone is getting industrious trying to enturbulate [upset] or stop Scientology or its activities, I can make Captain Bligh look like a Sunday school teacher. There is probably no limit on what I would do to safeguard man’s only road to freedom…” Captain Bligh made something of a name for himself in a navy well-known for its barbarous punishments. But, Hubbard would be willing to make flogging with a cat of nine tails look like Sunday School? Harsh!

Continued at http://tonyortega.org/2017/04/01/sc...ards-twisted-legacy-that-proved-his-sickness/
  60. The Wrong Guy Member

Jon Atack: Scientology has a history of flip-floppers, including the founder’s son

By Tony Ortega, July 6, 2017

Quote:

L. Ron Hubbard Jr. was a fascinating character. We’ve written about him numerous times, and he’s featured prominently in our book about Paulette Cooper, The Unbreakable Miss Lovely.

Nicknamed “Nibs,” he was in and out of favor with his famous father over the years. In 1952, Hubbard brought his then 18-year-old son to join him in Phoenix, where Nibs helped his father get Scientology off the ground after the Dianetics movement had failed. The next year, in 1953, Nibs was one of several signatories, including his father, to the creation of the first “Church of Scientology” corporation, in Camden, New Jersey.

By 1959, however, Nibs had soured on the “church” and left the movement. He later testified against his father in IRS proceedings aimed at Scientology, but then in 1972 recanted that testimony.

He went back and forth, at times seeming determined to expose his father and Scientology as a dangerous racket, and other times saying he was wrong to oppose his dad. In the early 1980s, he caused one of Scientology’s biggest PR disasters by suing in probate court, claiming that his father had died and it was being kept secret by the church. Hubbard was still alive, and the suit was dropped. By then, Nibs had changed his name to “Ron DeWolf” in order to distance himself from the Hubbard name.

In a new podcast, Jeffrey Augustine and Scientology historian Jon Atack discuss the flip-flopping by Nibs in context of a new vacillator. We look forward to seeing your thoughts on it.

Source: http://tonyortega.org/2017/07/06/thursday-2/
    • Like Like x 2
  61. RightOn Member

Jon Atack!
    Continue your ATTACK!
    <3
    see what I did thar
  62. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology and the Spoonbenders: Jon Atack on a previously unpublished Ingo Swann essay

By Jon Atack, July 8, 2017

Quote:

In the early 90s, I became intrigued by the exploits of the Spoonbenders – a group of “psychics” who were employed by US Intelligence agencies. Uri Geller and two more “psychics” were the subject of a series of tests made by two physicists at the “Stanford Research Institute” (SRI) – which sounds as if it were affiliated with Stanford University – it wasn’t.

A very successful book – Mind-Reach – was published in 1976. The late, great Martin Gardner critiqued the evidence offered for paranormal activity in the SRI tests. I was fascinated that two of the “psychics” – Ingo Swann and Pat Price – and one of the two experimenters – Hal Puthoff – were Scientologists. Gardner claimed that ten members of the support team were also involved in Scientology.

I wrote a chapter for a proposed book called “The Hubbard Intelligence Agency” and published it on the Internet. I was greeted with a howl of complaint from Ingo Swann, whose particular concern was that I have no literary talent (which may well be true). He failed to answer any of my concerns, however.

Hal Puthoff posted to say that his involvement with Scientology was trivial. I countered by pointing out that he was OT III, and that I’d met his wife, ten years after Mind-Reach, while she was pursuing the independent Scientology equivalent of OT V. I can understand why an eminent physicist would not want his reputation tarnished by the mention of Scientology. [Hugh Urban, in his history of Scientology, notes that Hal Puthoff was OT VII by 1971, the highest level then attainable. — ed.]

The US government spent tens of millions of dollars on the Spoonbenders – a group of “psychics” – over two decades. It is intriguing to speculate how much of this “research” included Scientologists, and the extent to which this may have conferred government protection on the group.

With the help of splendid researcher R.M. Seibert, Tony has dug out a paper that Ingo Swann gave at a conference for “psychics,” in Czechoslovakia, in 1973. It is called “Scientological Techniques: A Model Paradigm for the Exploration of Consciousness and Psychic Integration,” and will be made available in full alongside my comments here.

Continued at http://tonyortega.org/2017/07/08/sc...on-a-previously-unpublished-ingo-swann-essay/

63. This interview puts Scumbun's rath (see what i did there), rage, and flip flopping into an interesting perspective. There are several similarities between Rathbun and Nibs, how they were broken men, betrayed trust and became complete hypocrites.

Nibs' life, from an outsider point of view, was a sad tale with a sad end. That which has happened before will happen again. Rimmerbun will likely also have a sad life with a sad end. That's Sad. Sad.
  64. The Wrong Guy Member

65. The Wrong Guy Member

66. The Wrong Guy Member

Louis Theroux isn’t the first who tried to find Scientology’s positive side and failed

By Jon Atack, September 2, 2017

First paragraph:

The first book I contributed to – back in the distant mists of history (c.1986) – was Stewart Lamont’s Religion Inc. Not a bad title, and with some interesting content (though he describes me as a “young businessman,” which came as a surprise). Lamont had made a favorable documentary for Yorkshire TV, and when we first met he told me that Scientology had been persecuted, and he wanted to put the record straight. I had enjoyed the documentary, because by offering an entirely uncritical view, Lamont had encouraged the Scientologist contributors to boast about their strange belief system.

Last paragraph:

If you want to support efforts to proof the next generation against cults and other toxic relationships, grab a look at our Open Minds Foundation website.

More: https://tonyortega.org/2017/09/02/l...o-find-scientologys-positive-side-and-failed/
    • Like Like x 1
  67. Quentinanon Member

I think that every dupe person recruited into the scientology crime syndicate has at least expected to see positive things. For most folks, however, reality eventually permeates delusion.
  68. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology’s tiger: How L. Ron Hubbard created a language trap

By Jon Atack, September 22, 2017

Quote:

It bothers me when I hear someone say that they “blew” from Scientology. The word does not mean “left” – which is what they actually did – it means that they had to flee, because they were overwhelmed with guilt stemming from their transgressions (or “overts”). But the sneering, deprecatory label is accepted, as if leaving Scientology were not eminently sensible (I’ve not regretted it for a single moment!).

Language can make a fine trap: people begin to believe the words and act in accordance with their emotional resonance. Hubbard knew exactly how to enmesh people in a web of language, as Scientology’s two 500-page dictionaries show. He brought about “conceptual understanding” by redefining hundreds of words (one of the cardinal sins of manipulators, as he pointed out in Propaganda by Redefinition of Words). The implanted concepts are often unhealthy, and it is important to think your way out of them, if you really want to be “self-determined.”

As Robert Plant pointed out in “Stairway to Heaven,” words “sometime have two meanings.” I used to enjoy the Hubbard statement that in our tough universe “only the tigers survive,” because I knew Hubbard’s definition of a “tiger:” “a pretended [staff] member … who has been repeatedly associated with goofed projects and operations and who actually has caused such to occur. He is a person who is a continued out-ethics person. He has failed to get ethics in on himself.” (Flag Order 872). So, if you want to survive well, be a “tiger.” We can say with some certainty that Ron Hubbard “failed to get ethics in on himself,” after all, and he left over $640 million, having survived very well indeed. He had no concern for the poor Sea Org members, who had eked out a very meager existence on rice and beans, without health care, vacations or even time with their own children. He was a “tiger” and they were suckers, as far as he was concerned.

In his vitally important model of thought reform, Robert Jay Lifton spoke of “loaded language.” Words become “thought-terminating clichés,” inhibiting further thinking. So, after years of degradation and violation of their civil and legal rights, many former Sea Organization members have accepted that they were “freeloaders” and paid a “freeloader bill,” without considering the implication of this derogatory term.

They are caught up in Hubbard’s peculiar notion of “exchange”: Sea Org defectors really can believe that after devoting years of their lives – at 90 hours a week, for a few cents an hour – they should still pay full-price for the “services” they took, because they have failed in their contractual obligation and not lasted out the requisite billion years. First, Hubbard enslaved them, and, if they escaped, he made them pay for their time as slaves.

On leaving any high-control group it is very necessary to consider the language that keeps members in thrall. For instance, “SP” must stand for “social personality,” judging by the many friends I have who have earned the title.

Please add your comments and observations below, and then move over to the Open Minds website and add a few comments and observations there, too.

Source, and open comments:
    https://tonyortega.org/2017/09/22/scientologys-tiger-how-l-ron-hubbard-created-a-language-trap/

Open Minds Foundation - Proofing Society Against Manipulation
    https://www.openmindsfoundation.org/
  69. The Wrong Guy Member

A new chapter for one of the best Scientology books of all time? Yes, and we have it!

By Tony Ortega, January 17, 2017

Quote:

Jon Atack just let us know that he’s putting out a fourth edition of his excellent book of Scientology history, Let’s sell these people a piece of blue sky. And he’s taking the opportunity to restore a missing chapter that was left out previously for legal reasons. He tells us that Kindle owners who had purchased the book should be able to update to the new edition for free, but he asked us to post the new chapter here at the Bunker for readers who own print copies of his book. We were happy to oblige. So here is the new chapter, “The Religious Technology Center and the International Finance Police.”

Continued at https://tonyortega.org/2018/01/18/a...ntology-books-of-all-time-yes-and-we-have-it/
  70. The Wrong Guy Member

Atack: What David Mayo told me about L. Ron Hubbard, Scientology, and the upper levels

By Tony Ortega, February 19, 2017

Quote:

After we brought the news that prominent Scientology figure David Mayo had died last year in New Zealand, there was a pretty huge reaction from many former Scientologists, as well as a lot of discussion of his legacy. One person who had lengthy talks with Mayo after he left the church was historian Jon Atack, who tells us what he learned in those discussions.

Continued at https://tonyortega.org/2018/02/19/a...ron-hubbard-scientology-and-the-upper-levels/
    • Like Like x 1
  71. The Wrong Guy Member

Witness to Dianetics: For the first time, the letters of key Hubbard ally Donald H. Rogers

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, May 8, 2018

Quote:

Jon Atack has provided us a marvelous exclusive. He’s provided us with copies of letters he received from a man name Don Rogers in the mid-1980s. And we’ve asked historian Chris Owen to help us understand just how valuable these letters are and what’s in them, followed by the first of three Rogers letters in full (we’ll post the second and third tomorrow). It’s quite a week of early Dianetics history here at the Bunker!

Over the course of about a year in 1984-85, Scientology’s leading unauthorized historian, Jon Atack, exchanged a series of letters with one of Hubbard’s earliest collaborators, Don Rogers. Atack had reached out to Rogers in the course of researching “Hubbard Through the Looking Glass,” a manuscript that later became his book A Piece of Blue Sky – a title prompted by a statement that Rogers attributed to Hubbard. The letters, which the Bunker can now publish following Rogers’ 2003 death, provide many insights into the earliest days of Dianetics and Scientology.

Continued at https://tonyortega.org/2018/05/08/w...-letters-of-key-hubbard-ally-donald-h-rogers/
  72. The Wrong Guy Member

Early witness Don Rogers on Hubbard and ‘prior lives’: ‘Nothing but a parlor hypnosis trick’

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, May 9, 2018

Quote:

Today we have the second and third letters sent in the mid-1980s by Don Rogers, an early witness to Dianetics, to author Jon Atack, who has generously allowed us to make them public for the first time. Please see historian Chris Owen’s introduction to these letters in yesterday’s first installment.

Continued at https://tonyortega.org/2018/05/09/e...or-lives-nothing-but-a-parlor-hypnosis-trick/
  73. Tony Macaroni does good things
  74. The Wrong Guy Member

How much do the Don Rogers letters shake up early Dianetics history? Two experts weigh in.

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, May 10, 2018

Quote:

Over the last two days, we’ve seen some fascinating letters made public for the first time which were written by Donald H. Rogers, an eyewitness to the earliest days of Dianetics. Rogers wrote the letters in 1984-85 to Jon Atack, who was researching his book, A Piece of Blue Sky, and who generously shared the letters with us.

In his letters, Rogers covered a lot of territory regarding L. Ron Hubbard, Dianetics, and the early Scientology movement, and we asked a couple of people for their thoughts on them. We were glad to hear back from Chris Shelton, and we also received some observations from Alec Nevala-Lee, author of the upcoming book Astounding: John W. Campbell, Isaac Asimov, Robert A. Heinlein, L. Ron Hubbard, and the Golden Age of Science Fiction, which will be released by HarperCollins on October 23. One of the subjects that Alec covers in the book is how much Hubbard’s famous book Dianetics was really a group project, and what contributions his editor Campbell made to it. He tells us he can also see that group dynamic working when he looked at the letters of Don Rogers.

Continued at https://tonyortega.org/2018/05/10/h...early-dianetics-history-two-experts-weigh-in/
  75. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  76. Han Chollo Member

this shit is putting me to sleep!
  77. Disambiguation Global Moderator

78. dier or something
  79. The Wrong Guy Member

Bad boys, part two: Scientology’s involvement with drug smugglers had a long legacy

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, May 31, 2018

Quote:

Yesterday, historian Chris Owen explored how Scientology’s Guardian’s Office mounted a secret intelligence operation in cooperation with US Customs to break up an international drug smuggling ring involving ex-Scientologists and two Sea Org vessels. Today, he continues the story with a look at the fate of the man at the center of the operation, ex-Sea Org member Jerry McDonald, and why Scientology remained under investigation for smuggling.

https://tonyortega.org/2018/05/31/b...vement-with-drug-smugglers-had-a-long-legacy/
  80. Disambiguation Global Moderator

81. The Wrong Guy Member

From Jon Atack’s ‘Blue Sky’: Reorganizing Scientology as L. Ron Hubbard’s life waned

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, August 18, 2018

Quote:

One of the truly monumental books about Scientology, Jon Atack’s A Piece of Blue Sky: Scientology, Dianetics, and L. Ron Hubbard Exposed came out in 1990 and was nearly sued out of existence. We were fortunate to come across a copy in the 1990s as we were just beginning a career investigating Scientology stories. Today, Atack has a new edition of the book out, and he gave us a chapter to include in our Saturday “Scientology Lit” series. It reminds us that no one else packed so much history into every page recounting the fortunes of L. Ron Hubbard and his organization. The excerpt we have is a snapshot of how much Scientology was changing in the years after Hubbard went into permanent seclusion in 1980. We hope it motivates you to pick up this book, an amazing resource for any Scientology Watcher.

https://tonyortega.org/2018/08/18/f...ing-scientology-as-l-ron-hubbards-life-waned/