Customize

Tom Tobin, St Pete Times on NIGHTLINE 2 Night Scientology Story

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Relyt Member

Re: Tom Tobin, St Pete Times on NIGHTLINE 2 Night Scientology Story

You people and your insisting that everything must be done this way or that way... "They should have talked about LRH's abuses!" "Why didn't they ask about blah blah blah etc.?"

Is it that difficult to understand that the questions were done in such a journalistic way as to be completely relevant to the subject at hand, or do you want every journalist to go off on a tangent on every single critical aspect of Scientology to make it as perfect as you can possibly dream for? Sure, you can be "disappointed", but are you really surprised? Martin isn't going to go from talking about David Miscavige's physical abuses, to suddenly asking if Hubbard's past was accurate, or some deep philosophical discussion about the tech or the freezone, or whatever you people who crave for perfection expect.

Also, I've noticed a pattern that (I've mentioned this in similar ways, but I'll repeat it) most exes left because of something they've seen in management that didn't ring right with them. They saw a pattern of things wrong with what was going on within organized Scientology and when they reached their last straw, decided to leave and never come back. When they look at criticism, they tend to stay focused on whatever kind of criticism seems to be pointing out, what in their minds would be, hypocrisy and squirreling by Miscavige. When they look at criticism that points out anything wrong with Hubbard and his tech, their mind instantly shuts off and they disregard everything and ignore whatever source that information is coming from, and completely forget about it. When they're encouraged to look at their management, the first wave of doubt rushes in. The next wave(s) of doubt usually don't come in until AFTER they have left Scientology and do more and more research. In fact, I think the cases of people leaving Scientology based on counter information about Hubbard, have got to be incredibly rare compared to people who have left due to Miscavige and his reign over Scientology.

So, when you're more successful at getting people out of Scientology, more people are likely to speak out. And the more people speak out, the more likely you are at making progress. I guess that's just common sense, though.
  2. Anonymous Member

But, this is Anonymous! Common sense has no place here!
  3. Anonymous Member

4. JohnnyRUClear Member

...so...what? Are you implying that priests won't talk about theology with anyone other than Catholics?

But the MartyZoners got butthurt over part 2, so I'm happy. >:)
  5. Relyt Member

6. WTF Member

Re: What Marty and Friends have to say about Nightline Day 2

Marty in a round about way was saying Tom Cruise is PTS to the asthmatic dorf.
  7. Anonymous Member

If you were asked to help detain a kidnap victim, you need to talk to the FBI *RIGHT NOW*. You need to explain who was kidnapped, who did it and on whose orders. You will possibly be offered immunity (in fact I'd say it is likely but don't quote me on that) from prosecution on this, especially if you refused to take part. We need people to speak out on this thing, not just publically, but to the FBI. It is their job to keep tabs on Scientology and to prosecute them for their crimes.

If you need help approaching them, please contact Boris. He knows how to approach them with valuable information.
  8. xenubie Member

Man, Tommy looked like a pissed off little girl who didn't get her way.
  9. Anonymous Member

It is not "our" side, it's factual information: The purif is dangerous to one's health. Now the CoS can make nice ad quoting Amy Scobee that toxic goo was coming out of her skin -- it works! Yeah, I expect good reporting to actually show the views of experts on the purif if they are going to talk about it.
  10. Anonymous Member

It's a joke from a TV show you likely don't watch since it would cause you too much butthurt.
  11. Anonymous Member

Thank you for saving me having to explain it. Everyone should be tied to a chair and forced to watch Father Ted.
  12. JohnnyRUClear Member

{chuckle}

Ah, right, I know of it, but it isn't the show I watch.
  13. stuwyatt Member

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvvwNR3vF44"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

Father Jack (alcoholic priest) normally says only 4 words: Drink!, Feck!, Girls! and Arse!
    Some bishops are due to visit the island, so Father Ted tries to teach Father Jack to answer all questions with "That would be an ecumenical matter" or "Yes"...

<3 Father Ted
  14. Relyt Member

The show wasn't about whether Scientology works, please lurk more.
  15. Anonymous Member

fathertedg.jpg
  16. tazor Member

Finally made it through the whole thread. It was excellent and well worth the time. :)

Still laughing. Especially love the tags.
  17. JohnnyRUClear Member

That does make sense then. Thanks.

So, retroactively: Rood one, Rhaggy!!
  18. BusinessBecky Member

Usually jornalism involves getting the facts behind the story. Having looked at many different interview, the only impressive interviewer the church had is Moxon. Tommy was fairly indoctrinated at a young age and has a very weak sense of how people in the real world behave. Journalism can use means of figureing out the truth without misrepresenting it. So what.
    I still feel that there is something missing from this show. There are hundreds of recentsci ex-s they could have interviewed.
  19. Anonymous Member

They dedicated two nights to this and there are other things going on in the world that don't involve Scientology that they need to report. Let us hope that Nightline doing these two nights has opened the door for other programs to feel free to investigate Scientology, too.
  20. Anonymous Member

Homicide has no statute of limitations...
  21. Anonymous Member

Austria, Australia, what's the difference?

Josef Fritzl - Encyclopedia Dramatica
  22. Skeptic1337 Member

I didn't even know he was a scifag.

Well good on ya Tom.

brokaw.jpg
  23. Re: Tom Tobin, St Pete Times on NIGHTLINE 2 Night Scientology Story

father-ted-careful-now.jpg

2255340037_5534af9357.jpg
  24. Skeptic1337 Member

25. exOT8Michael Member

Good point.
  26. Mutante Member

QFT
  27. Re: Tom Tobin, St Pete Times on NIGHTLINE 2 Night Scientology Story

Well, fuck. That only took me over a year and a half to understand.
  28. OTBT Member

Thank you. I'm an ex, been out for many years, and very much agree with this.
  29. Relyt Member

Good to see you're still on the dot.
  30. J. Swift Member

Tommy Davis is such an Evil Psychiatry. His logic is non-answer, stupid, balderdash. Change a few words and one can use Tommy's non-logic to defend anything based on utilitarianism:

Nightline: Has heroin ever been subjected to randomized clinical trials to assess its efficacy?

Drug Dealer: I have no idea. I don't know why it would be. It works for heroin addicts and that's what people use it. I don't know why it would be subjected to random clinical trials.

Nightline: Because it's a...a drug that alters an addict's sense of reality.

Drug Dealer: In an addiction.

Nightline: But has heroin ever been tested objectively is what I'm asking?

Drug Dealer: I mean heroin gets used every day by heroin addicts.

Nightline: I'm not asking that. I'm asking...

Drug Dealer: To my knowledge, no. ...And as far as evidence of heroin and its efficacy, the evidence of that is in those drug addicts who have used it to great benefit. And as far as the heroin dealers are concerned, it's the only evidence that matters, is that the addicts get results and keep coming back for more.

////
  31. exOT8Michael Member

SKEPTIC wrote .

Actually that dot is all that remains of D aywatch
    Imploded into a tiny black hole, I guess.
    Ok, just kidding.
  32. Anonymous Member

Not understanding why you triple posted.

One big difference. Heroin does have some kind of effect. e-Meters don't.
  33. Anonymous Member

Poor Tommy Davis definitely has that repressed homosexual look.

I bet Smurf is pleased :)
  34. Anonymous Member

Do not grow fingers in fences.
  35. Anonymous Member

attention-whore.gif
  36. Anonymous Member

What kind of ballpark numbers are you talking about when you say "kidnap victims"?
  37. Bob Loblaw Member

If Anderson Cooper/CNN got scooped, well, whose fault is that? Our project to expose Scientology's abuses is hardly a secret and not supported by a metric-ass-ton of excellent research.

I still hope that AC and the crew at CNN will still choose to do their own investigative reporting and continue to expand both coverage and knowledge of CoS abuses.

tampabay.com &mdash; St. Petersburg Times and tbt*
  38. Bob Loblaw Member

I'm not an ex, but IMHO, I'd argue that a reasoned, compassionate approach and communication style for current Scientologists and Ex's (both recent and otherwise) is the most effective. This is as opposed to a "you're a recent Ex - you're not to be trusted and I have no interest in providing any sort of help whatsoever."

Yes, I agree that we need to be cautious about how far we put ourselves out personally toward Ex's. Excepting those that tried a course or two and said "ah, yeah, this is definitely a scam", we could argue that those that stay in for substantial periods of time suffer from serious anxiety, depression, or other issues.

That noted, we could choose to be mean and cruel, or we could choose to be mindful and compassionate. I believe the latter is the most successful in many dimensions over the long run.
  39. Bob Loblaw Member

(dupe of previous msg deleted)
  40. Anonymous Member

Hey Marty, I love you

xoxox