Customize

Tom Cruise's Career Rehab Secrets

Discussion in 'Tom and Katie' started by iaxiloll, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

Re: Tom Cruise's Career Rehab Secrets

maybe he can star in an epic biographical documentary about his life.
    It will be a comedy.
  2. Anonymous Member

Come on, Hicks. Anyone wearing a fat suit and all the rest of the makeup would be pretty funny. Any fat middle-aged white male could do it.

0.5/10
  3. Hicks Member

Nah, I think he managed to make a good performance. You just mad cuz you can't admit he was funny because of your blind hate for the cult ;)

That being said, most of his movies sucked.
  4. Anonymous Member

Someone said to me today, out of the blue: "What happened to Tom Cruise? you never hear anything about him any more."
  5. potrezebie Member

I heard he was good in that movie. Even people I knew who hated him liked the role. My guess is that wearing the fat suit freed him up to be someone other than TC for a few minutes.

He mebbe should try acting. He's already got an in and it would allow him to escape being TC once in awhile...
  6. Anonymous Member

Very funny.
  7. iaxiloll Member

As painful as it is I must admit that I was funny and refreshing, first of all because it was nearly impossible to recognise TC in the fat suite and no one knows how many takes where needed to come up with that sequence. TC is not capable of being so funny live.
  8. anonhuff Member

In hindsight I think mr. mapother will have wished he publicly distanced himself from the cult (if not leaving it and denouncing it for what it is) before it goes down in legal (metaphorical) flames, rather than what I'm sure will be a frenzy of backpedalling and fishmouthing by the celebrities involved.
  9. AnonKat Member

I like "Cocktail" and the "Firm" but like with "Top Gun" probably snatched from Charlie Sheen playing in it
  10. Keyumdi Member

I actually really liked War of the Worlds and Tom Cruise's performance in it and I'm very critical of mainstream movies.
  11. Anonymous Member

ever met the man.. Like I said DISTANT, from a different branch of the family tree. My sister, who's got stars up her ass, once worked it out: 12th cousin...
  12. Re: Tom Cruise's Career Rehab Secrets

Tom Cruise might be a tosser in real life, but I liked him in Magnolia and the Firm. Age hasn't done him any good, however.
  13. Alpha Bates Member

I'm sure he may not have had anything to do with this personally but I always think of TC whenever I think of how movie posters went from being forms of art to giant headshots of the star.

It's like all his movies have a poster that is just a fucking headshot. I'm sure there are others, but his just stick with me for whatever reason.
  14. Bipolart Member

I always thought his acting was a bit flat. Now he's getting old, crazy, and desperate to be taken srsly. It only gets lulzier.
  15. Anonymous Member

Chicago Tribune Entertainment
    A host of would-be hosts
    COMMENTS (0) | Add Comment
    A host of would-be hosts - chicagotribune.com
  16. Re: Tom Cruise's Career Rehab Secrets

Top Gun will always be big with the gay community. It is still pulp.

The Color of money was good and he has had a few good films. It's just that he wasn't good in them. When he was big, he was able to act opposite Jack Nicholsen, Paul Newman, Dustin Hoffman and John Voight. Between 1986 and 1996 he was very bankable. Even though he was a crap actor. If you look at everything after 2005, and even some of the stuff before, you can see Scientology creeping in and his career slowing.
    This is the truth. Between the homophobia of Scientology and his statements against women, he has cut most of his market. Older men can sometimes still be sexy to women - Sean Connery, George Clooney. Tom Cruise is not in that list.
  17. potrezebie Member

Mea culpa. I had forgotten about where some of it's popularity came from... :p

You're right. And those movies will remain profitable because they featured actors like Newman.

Mel Gibson is another good example of a 80's 90's heartthrob who has lost a big chunk of his female market by committing public suicide in similar ways.
  18. Anonymous Member

I liked and still do, Minority Report. Probably the only movie I saw with Tom Cruise in it that I enjoyed.
  19. Anonymous Member

According to the DVD commentary, Cruise pretty much improvised all of that stuff. If you have the DVD, watch the commentary, it's hilarious. Robert Downey Jr stays in character as the black guy for the commentary. Good stuff.
  20. TypingChimp Member

Agreed. It was like Gattaca, only with precognition instead of genetic engineering, and it was an allegory on the perils of a police state and and a cutting, if sometimes hamfisted, commentary on the times in which the film was made. Still, Gattaca was infinitely better. Better story, better acting, better writing. Also, you may be interested in eXistenZ and The Wisdom of Crocodiles. The latter was especially good: atmospheric, creepy, and poignant, and Jude Law and the lovely Elina Lowensohn. The former was about the blurring of lines between reality and video games, and this time, Jennifer Jason Leigh is the female lead to Jude Law's leading man. Good times.
  21. Anonymous Member

He was pretty damn funny on Oprah...IMO! LOL
  22. Anonymous Member

I will watch them both, although I am not a Jude Law fan. I am also not an Ethan Hawke fan, but did enjoy Gattaca. After taking the advice from someone on the Colbert forums back in the "bear days", I watched Firefly and enjoyed that. So therefore I thank you for the suggestions.
  23. Re: Tom Cruise's Career Rehab Secrets

Cruise might want to try hosting "Saturday Night Live". If he could do that it might help his career and image.

I'm trying to imagine this.
  24. Smurf Member

He'd get alot of laughs... and he wouldn't have to do anything but stand in front of the audience.
  25. Anonymous Member

Hmmm, a person
    who impersonates a being a straight man

who can't seem to maintain a single significant, long standing relationship he isn't paying for

who is a low achiever in academia yet claims to have greater knowledge than accomplished physicians with decades of study and practice

who claims every individual should be free to make their own decisions but publicly chides those who choose differently then he would

who promotes a cult that coerces abortion, destroys families, ruins lives, infiltrates governments, illegally practices medicine and defrauds the public as well as it's members

On SNL he would be making a parody of a parody of a parody of a parody of a tragedy.
    Sounds too complicated for Americans but it just might work.
  26. TypingChimp Member

Watch those films, and you will become a Jude Law fan. I think the chemistry was better between Law and Lowensohn in "The Wisdom of Crocodles". I became a fan of Lowensohn after I saw her in "Amateur", a Hal Hartley film, though as is the case with all of his films, either you really like it, or you really don't get it. Not much in the way of middle ground with his work.
  27. Anonymous Member

Then they must absolutely adore Interview With The Vampire.
  28. Re: Tom Cruise's Career Rehab Secrets

True. I'm glad he did though. He showed his true colours. A friend of mine says that you judge the character of a person by what they do when they become wealthy. I use the same standard to measure Hubbard.

A little know footbullet of Mel's. He was in Gallipoli, a Peter Weir film (actually it is one of his best IMO). Anyway it is an important film to Australians. Mel Gibson played that role so well I would recommend that film to an Israeli Jew. He epitomized everything Australian in the 70s. He was our biggest actor. There is an interview where he refers to Australians in the third person in a condescending tone (and minus his Australian accent). That is where he lost me. And I don't consider myself particularly patriotic. It is true he spent the first 8 years of his life in the US, but he was very quick to shed any connections with Australia.

The only thing he did to redeem himself is he made one of the best gay BSDM films of all time.

Interesting thing about that film is one of the Jewish Priests was wearing Palestinian garb tucked discretely in his robes.
  29. Anonymous Member

Vanilla Sky really tripped me out.
  30. Re: Tom Cruise's Career Rehab Secrets

Never liked him to begin with. he had some-kind of weirdness about him even back in the day , which i now know as Scientology.
  31. potrezebie Member

Gay BDSM? I hadn't heard that one! :) !!!edit to pry: Top or Bottom? Let me guess, he dwells on torture and pain, and is acknowledged by other actors as good at potraying pain.....bottom?

For me the moment came right after his first real nude scene in 'The Bounty'. All my girlfriends were agog, I was too, until I read an interview where he went into his personal beliefs about women and their place in life (at this time he already had something like 5 kids), then related this to his religious beliefs. My metaphorical stiffie went limp right there.

If ever two men shoulda kept their big yaps shut about religion, those are the ones.
  32. Re: Tom Cruise's Career Rehab Secrets

Tom Cruise cannot "rehab" his dwindling career. Cruise lost his studio deal and now he is like any other player who has to drum up financing or take a salary. Hollywood is a business and Cruise's movies are on the downturn.

What is amazing though is the Scientology publicity machine, endlessly press releasing and trolling the internet and trying to spin reality, in this case that Tom Cruise is "back."

There's only one way for Tom Cruise to stop the bad publicity.... leave Scientology.
  33. LWrongHubbard Member

Tom Cruise as a person pisses me off. I hate celebrities who think that so-many-millions-per-movie makes them an expert on everything, and the fact that he's shilling the cult makes it worse.

But as an actor, I don't hate him or like him either. He's just a void. I can't think of a Tom Cruise movie I've seen where what I remember is his performance. He's competent and good-looking, but he lacks the charisma that makes an actor really stand out. His best options as he gets older are to broaden his range from Handsome Leading Man to Character Actor or by going into the production side of things.

The cult thing could cause problems with the latter - one of the reasons Battlefield Earth couldn't get funding for so long was the Scientology connection, and no one's more Scientology-connected than Tom. He's now so inextricably associated with it that it's one of the first things people know about Scientology. Given the increasingly bad publicity the cult's been getting, that's only going to get worse. It's too late for him to blow.
  34. CarterUSP Member

Has anyone else seen Magnolia? Weird film, loads of cameos. It's the only film where I think Crooz played quite a good (but bizarre) role.
  35. TypingChimp Member

The original, Abre los ojos, was better on every level, except for the special effects. The only problem is the title was a little too literal for my tastes.
  36. Joe Blitz Member

I dunno. It could be that the sci handlers are taking a back seat to the industry professionals as far as his movie career is concerned. I saw this clip on Extra and it didn't have the stink of lrhTech.

rightrail

Still the part with Cruise speaking at the podium seemed eerily similiar to the clip of him saluting lrh's picture(although most of the gen. public wouldn't make that connection).
  37. Re: Tom Cruise's Career Rehab Secrets

I actually think he could get back to his former popularity. With a full tell all confessional about the CULT. If he ever woke up, told the world that he was used by the midget and delivered the death blow to scientology - I think he could redeem himself.
  38. Re: Tom Cruise's Career Rehab Secrets

If you're not joking and really want to know, the movie I was referring to was The Passion of The Christ. It's the movie where a guy gets whipped for 90 minutes and then the credits roll.
  39. TypingChimp Member

And in the director's cut, Jesus also takes it up the ass from Pontius Pilate for a solid 30 minutes while nailed to a cross.
  40. Re: Tom Cruise's Career Rehab Secrets

Ouch.