Customize

Tom Cruise in Chicago May5th for Oprah Interview.

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by Robert S, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Re: Tom Cruise Re-Appearing on OPRAH.

this

especially since he said noone is ever SP around him and it'd get a lot of attention.

do it! chicago anons and those nearby, have a big protest :D
  2. AnonJo Member

Re: Tom Cruise in Chicago May5th for Oprah Interview.

We should try to get Magoo in the Audience.
  3. Re: Tom Cruise in Chicago May5th for Oprah Interview.

I think you missed this post:
  4. fluffbomb Member

OK, I have little love for Oprah, I see her as being ever-so-slightly fake.

I, too, don't see an invasion of the audience coming off too well. I don't think any will get in with a mask.

So, here is what I think should happen:

Considering that we have anon in every sector of the universe, getting in may be easier than some think. I have based this on the idea that there may be anon in positions of power able to get in. If not, meh, the rest is still good.

1. Bombard Harpo with requests for information about the show. Gain and collate responses from Harpo wherever possible. At the same time, educate Harpo about Scientology, child abuse, the CCHR, their destruction of Cult Watch, the mysterious deaths, the global protests, their fair game and disconnection...
    2. Find the date of recording. Either Harpo will let slip in one of the many responses, or a phone call from a "journalist" doing a celeb piece to Harpo or TC's management may reveal the date.
    3. File protest permit requests for relevant date.
    4. Epic protest outside Harpo.
    5. Remind all audience as they enter what they are supporting by being there, you may get an "on the fence" anon make a decision to be disruptive.
    6. Any anon who gets in leaves cards, flyers, whatever they can everywhere connecting TC with an evil and destructive cult.
    7. If inside, you have a voice, you might not be able to take a banner, mask or whatever in with you, but they cannot stop you from standing up at a perfect moment and screaming slogans in TC's face. Neither can they strip-search you, so if you wear a t-shirt with a slogan or familiar face under another you'll make a point. Yes, you'll be evicted, but you'll have a few hundred people who've heard you, and Oprah will finally come face to face with what she is doing by promoting him.
    8. If you have a friend with you taking pictures of you wearing a t-shirt with a slogan yelling the truth at them, all the better, you can then pass this to the media after the show. Any effort by Harpo to edit all this out will be quashed by video of an audience member openly protesting.
    9. The more the merrier. If you can get more than a couple of anon in, the bigger the effect will be. I think a staggered protest would be better, say starting half way through, every ten minutes another anon stands up with a GF mask t-shirt. Hopefully they'll have to scrap recording and do the rest without an audience.

After the fact:
    1. Upload video/photo evidence here, tube, everywhere.
    2. Spread "Protesters Interrupt TC Oprah Show" headline to every corner of the Earth with evidence.
    3. Request response from Harpo.
    4. Sit back and enjoy so many internets. And eat old delicious caek.

This really could be a big and epic win for anon, but only if it is planned properly. I don't think it is something we should just sit back and watch happen without using it in any way we can.
    I'm not so sure about spreading the "Oprah supports evil cult" line, I'm undecided on that. But perhaps several tube vids with a high view count may sway Harpo to reconsider?
  5. urban_anon Member

Listen to him, wise idea is wise!
  6. anonymoose Member

Just a quick suggestion that you think about what kinds of things Tom might say to Oprah about the cult and Anon (if he mentions it) and tailor your fliers etc to that.

E.G.

- The people protesting don't understand/haven't "gone to source"/don't have all the information

- The church has been wrong "in the past" but things have changed

- We do good in the world- these people are troublemakers.

- The cyberterrorist and anthrax accusations. And religious bigot one.

- They're a bunch of kids having fun, they'll realize the error of their ways.

Plenty of short bullet point to counteract these points, and I suggest writing out a few suggested questions that audience members could ask Cruise, and hand them out to them.

My dream is that Cruise tells Oprah that he has seen the effect of Scientology on his once-beautiful wife, that she has talked sense into him, that the Anon protests inspired him to read up about the "religion", and announces his departure from the CoS. Cake and win all round.

If his publicist is wise they will be advising this!

tl;dr tailor Anon fliers to possible TC lines about Anon and include suggested questions for audience members to ask him.
  7. Re: Tom Cruise in Chicago May5th for Oprah Interview.

I would be reluctant to do this simply because they have the final cut and can determine how you are presented on television. We got favourable coverage from Fox because we were annoying someone who had annoyed Fox in the past. If you embarrass Oprah and her production staff by sneaking onto the show and disrupting things, you can be sure Anonymous will be ridiculed, and will have no platform to respond to whatever they want to cook up.

Here's an example where 9-11 truthers protested Bill Maher on his program, doing exactly what you described above:

Video: 9/11 Truthers Infiltrate Bill Maher’s ‘Real Time’ : Ian Schwartz

How does it look to you as an impartial observer? Quite frankly it's not a scenario I would wish to emulate.

Keep in mind that you're sitting somewhere random in a studio audience, so a t-shirt will probably be covered by the head of the person in the next row. Here's some footage from Oprah's audience: YouTube - Oprah Winfrey's Contribution to the Rush to Iraq War

Note the tight shot on specific audience members. Also note how dismissive she is of an opinion which doesn't fit her outline for how the show will go.

The best you could hope for would be to smuggle a Guy Fawke's mask in past a thorough security screening, slip it on, and let the camera find you in the audience. Then be quiet, allow them to approach you out of curiosity. If you're not spotted and dragged out by security off camera for being off message, you then have maybe 5-10 seconds tops to make your point about scientology, with no opportunity for a follow up.

So, what can you distill about CO$ that:

a) doesn't seem crazy
    - already at a disadvantage if wearing a mask
    - rules out the "OT levels"

b) is easily understood by the most disinterested observer (her audience of middle aged women)
    - rules out lengthy explanations about the cults many faces (Narconon, Able International, CCHR, Volunteer Ministers, etc)
    - rules out lengthy discussion of Establishment Clause and Scientology's special educational tax break that no other religion gets

c) doesn't threaten freedom of religion (the cult's most reliable defense)
    - rules out "Scientology is a cult!"

d) is unspinnable by a sympathetic host or her guest
    - rules out Scientology's stance on psychiatry, because some goober in that audience will have kids on Ritalin, or have a horror story to get the soccer moms nodding
    - personal attacks on his marriage (i.e. Free Katie) will get him free support and sympathy from the host

Even then, it's a super high pressure situation. You'd have to drill yourself constantly by watching the show, and timing it out as in "Jeremy Glick vs Bill O'Reilly":
    YouTube - Jeremy Glick vs Bill O'Reilly

Keep in mind that crazy people try to get on television all the time. Remember the guy in the rainbow clown wig with "John 3:18" on his sign? The Rainbow Man / John 3:16

You can be sure the audience will be carefully screened, and it's all too easy for them to edit footage out or switch to a different camera. You've got to sound like an average concerned citizen with no agenda, that presents a question in 5 seconds or less, that stumps both Oprah Winfrey and Tom Cruise, and plays on the emotions of the crowd and her huge audience.

If it were me, I'd probably forget about trying to promote Anonymous altogether. Wait for a chance to ask questions, and hit him with a "have you stopped beating your wife" question like, "How are Isabel and Connor handling their disconnection from Nicole since she left Scientology?" That's a multi-layered question, since you have "handling" and "disconnection", two key words for Cruise's scientology background. You also have an emotional impact from the audience, and it seems like a personable question since you've brought up children and implicitly divorce, familiar topics. You're likely to get trashed for it, but it may provoke an interesting reaction and get the audience thinking.

If you don't make it into a question, oh well. At least there will be no erosion of the favourable coverage we've gotten so far.

Rethinking the whole thing now, you're better off try to plant the question in the people arriving for the taping of the show. Have a low-key protest outside, where you target people going into the show with a leaflet with a concise, bullet point Q&A. If you hit enough people, you increase the chance of a person asking an interesting and potentially damaging question.

- E
  8. Re: Tom Cruise in Chicago May5th for Oprah Interview.

I would be reluctant to do this simply because they have the final cut and can determine how you are presented on television. We got favourable coverage from Fox because we were annoying someone who had annoyed Fox in the past. If you embarrass Oprah and her production staff by sneaking onto the show and disrupting things, you can be sure Anonymous will be ridiculed, and will have no platform to respond to whatever they want to cook up.

Here's an example where 9-11 truthers protested Bill Maher on his program, doing exactly what you described above:

Video: 9/11 Truthers Infiltrate Bill Maher’s ‘Real Time’ : Ian Schwartz

How does it look to you as an impartial observer? Quite frankly it's not a scenario I would wish to emulate.

Keep in mind that you're sitting somewhere random in a studio audience, so a t-shirt will probably be covered by the head of the person in the next row. Here's some footage from Oprah's audience: YouTube - Oprah Winfrey's Contribution to the Rush to Iraq War

Note the tight shot on specific audience members. Also note how dismissive she is of an opinion which doesn't fit her outline for how the show will go.

The best you could hope for would be to smuggle a Guy Fawke's mask in past a thorough security screening, slip it on, and let the camera find you in the audience. Then be quiet, allow them to approach you out of curiosity. If you're not spotted and dragged out by security off camera for being off message, you then have maybe 5-10 seconds tops to make your point about scientology, with no opportunity for a follow up.

So, what can you distill about CO$ that:

a) doesn't seem crazy
    - already at a disadvantage if wearing a mask
    - rules out the "OT levels"

b) is easily understood by the most disinterested observer (her audience of middle aged women)
    - rules out lengthy explanations about the cults many faces (Narconon, Able International, CCHR, Volunteer Ministers, etc)
    - rules out lengthy discussion of Establishment Clause and Scientology's special educational tax break that no other religion gets

c) doesn't threaten freedom of religion (the cult's most reliable defense)
    - rules out "Scientology is a cult!"

d) is unspinnable by a sympathetic host or her guest
    - rules out Scientology's stance on psychiatry, because some goober in that audience will have kids on Ritalin, or have a horror story to get the soccer moms nodding
    - personal attacks on his marriage (i.e. Free Katie) will get him free support and sympathy from the host

Even then, it's a super high pressure situation. You'd have to drill yourself constantly by watching the show, and timing it out as in "Jeremy Glick vs Bill O'Reilly":
    YouTube - Jeremy Glick vs Bill O'Reilly

Keep in mind that crazy people try to get on television all the time. Remember the guy in the rainbow clown wig with "John 3:18" on his sign? The Rainbow Man / John 3:16

You can be sure the audience will be carefully screened, and it's all too easy for them to edit footage out or switch to a different camera. You've got to sound like an average concerned citizen with no agenda, that presents a question in 5 seconds or less, that stumps both Oprah Winfrey and Tom Cruise, and plays on the emotions of the crowd and her huge audience.

If it were me, I'd probably forget about trying to promote Anonymous altogether. Wait for a chance to ask questions, and hit him with a "have you stopped beating your wife" question like, "How are Isabel and Connor handling their disconnection from Nicole since she left Scientology?" That's a multi-layered question, since you have "handling" and "disconnection", two key words for Cruise's scientology background. You also have an emotional impact from the audience, and it seems like a personable question since you've brought up children and implicitly divorce, familiar topics. You're likely to get trashed for it, but it may provoke an interesting reaction and get the audience thinking.

If you don't make it into a question, oh well. At least there will be no erosion of the favourable coverage we've gotten so far.

Rethinking the whole thing now, you're better off try to plant the question in the people arriving for the taping of the show. Have a low-key protest outside, where you target people going into the show with a leaflet with a concise, bullet point Q&A. If you hit enough people, you increase the chance of a person asking an interesting and potentially damaging question.

- E
  9. AnonBuff Member

ANONS! TAKE NOTE OF THIS! THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT NOT TO DO!

seriously. oprah does not care about anonymous. she doesn't. She isnt going to just let someone critical of her guests come on her show. tickets were sent out months ago. She isnt going to just invite a group of people who are "at war" with her guests into the studio and on the air. Even if she does all we are going to do is make ourselves look bad if some moron stands up. it will be cut from the show, nobody will ever hear about it, and anonymous will look ridiculous to those in attendence.
    Picketing outside will be much more effective and wont make us look stupid in the process.

Seriously people, i see an incredible amount of stupidity and no common sense coming out of this thread. knock it off, picket outside the studio, and consider it a win. No member of anon is going to get it, or make a scene. If they do make a scene it will look bad. Oprah will not be our ally. Get over yourselves.
  10. Plups Member

ANONS you need to THINK LIKE WOMEN!

The mood of the people (mostly women) lined up will be festive, excited and they will be out for warm, touchy-feely Oprah stuff.

Communication is about meeting people where they are at so they can HEAR you. No Shouting. No forcible entry. No mockery. Those strategies will not work with this crowd. Confrontation will not work. Lulz will be fine, provided they meet the other tests of being festive and warm - not hostile.

It has now been reported that TC is going to address the Matt Lauer rant, the couch-jump and Scientology. This is a major win. He's only doing this because his antics have caused such damage to Scientology and to his career. It's testament to the damage we're doing that he decides NOW that he has to speak up.

He will aim to be the moderate, temperate guy - acting as such, if he can't do it naturally. We need to be just as moderate, just as temperate, and even more persuasive.

Knocking Tom will not work. We need to be calling on Tom to stand up for the Sea Org staff members who are being mistreated - saying they need him to stand up and be ethical and make sure they are cared for.

Chicago Anons - I'm confident you'll get this right. It's just some of the comments in this thread make me think TC brings out the loony in us!
  11. Arturon Member

Picketing outside would work really well, especially if TC were to waltz on over and start screaming "ZOMG TERRORIST HACKER PHYCHIATRISTS ON STEROIDS". That would be a footbullet for him and the Co$.

I know it isn't likely, but knowing how crazy he is, there's still a chance that could happen.
  12. waz1 Member

I agree - an upbeat, informative protest outside would be wonderful - I wish I could be there!

Does anyone have a contact email for Oprah? She needs to quit giving these guys a platform. She may not be a scientologist - but she needs to get herself informed and she needs to know that by giving them a platform she is promoting it. I'm sooooo done with her.
  13. Robert S Member

^ THAT RIGHT THERE AND /STORY ^
  14. Joyful Member

According to DListed they do talk about Scn.

E!'s Marc Malkin reports that Oprah said they talk about Scientology, the couch-jumping incident and Tommy's crazed Matt Lauer debacle. Oprah also said that Tommy gave her a ride on his "snowmobile." How exciting. NOT.
  15. UnderToad Member

16. Joyful Member

It supposed to be one show from his house, which has already taped and is to air Friday. Then monday, he's supposed to be in studio.
  17. Vir Member

Informed questions: Good
    The whole audience showing up with free guy fawkes masks, even if they have to leave the masks outside in the lockers: Good
    Heckling/disruption: BAD BAD BAD

Here's the YouTube of :tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil: getting owned by Bill Maher
    YouTube - Bill Maher Kicks Some 9/11 Truth's Ass!

As every good scientologist knows, 9/11 was done by psychiatry. :tinfoil: :tinfoil:
  18. MarcabEmpress Member

What Plups said. In puffy heart MILFy letters
  19. monamia Member

I agree 100%.

The program will not be an open forum about TC and all the details of his life. Oprah is probably NOT planning to do an hour on Scientology. She has a focused agenda, and there is no advantage to her to have a free-for-all forum. She does not have free-for-all forums. Do not hassle the audience. Distribute fliers if you can, but Scientology critics simply are not going to get in, create a disturbance or take over this show. I mean this is a woman who managed to swing presidential primaries.

The world is not black and white and there is not one true path.

PS i agree on hug raids too. VERY INTRUSIVE, very aggressive.
  20. CherrieZ Member

Apparently he's there to "celebrate his 25 years in film", hah! More like celebrating the end of his career in film MUHAHAHAHA!

They're airing the interview at his house on friday and he'll be in studio monday.

BLAH!! That's WAAAAAAAAAAAY to much TC for me in such a short amount of time.
  21. Anonymimity Member

As many Anon have said before, make sure to concoct a new set of flyers about Scientology's child abuses. Make it look fresh, clean, and organized, because we have on-the-go types of women showing up to this show.

Oprah cares a lot about humanitarian issues, so if we give flyers to the audience bringing those issues to light, there is a chance SOMEONE will leave a flyer behind (just dropping it on the ground or whatever) and the big O may have a chance to read it over.

Again, HUMANITARIAN ISSUES:
    Child abuse
    forced abortions
    the sea org in general
    RPF
    child labor
    the disconnect policy

These are definitely things you need to address in your flyers. Talking about their tax-exempt status is great, but I think that talking about Scientology's abysmal treatment of children in the church is like a knife to the heart for a woman. Especially the kind that loves Oprah.
  22. Anonyneko Member

Re: Tom Cruise Re-Appearing on OPRAH.

Be careful. He may "go to guns" when that happens.

It's dangerous out there. Take this! (etc and so forth)
  23. monamia Member

child abuse is the most CLEAR. (the FLDS have definitely paved the way on this one in terms of cults.) jenna can be quoted on issues of how she was separated from her folks so they could all work their asses off for the memory and fantasies of LRH.
  24. anon87 Member

If someone gets footage of tom backing away / hiding that would be epic, he has a history of confronting random critics and has be known to get into long protracted arguments -this would be double epic.

So basically as long as we have anons enturbulating we will have epic wins, every anon from the area should turn up.

Target Tom GO, GO, GO!
  25. Ten Tigers Member

He gets OT-scary when he gets squirted in the face. (Well, with water, anyway...)
  26. Anonymimity Member

Also, for those people that will be attending this... please, please, please make sure you get some kind of permit. We don't want to look like trespassers or anything.
  27. Re: Tom Cruise in Chicago May5th for Oprah Interview.

what is the status of your pre-planning so far Chicago Anons?
  28. Samuel Hughes Member

Re: Tom Cruise Re-Appearing on OPRAH.

Imagine the whole CROWD of people wearing them ...

Seriously, where can we get tickets?
  29. Lrononymous Member

Regarding permits: Chicago does not issue them unless you are talking thousands of people and streets need to be closed. If we are going to have thousands, you guys better let us know soon! lol.
    Details are being worked out. updates will be posted.

Chicago out
  30. AnonEFG12365 Member

Think about Tom's Past record though...

Someone squirts him in the face he almost fucking bullbaits the guy. As crazy as he is, he'd go into the crowd and try to rip off the mask.

Remember gaiz, Groups are best! :mrgreen:
  31. Re: Tom Cruise Re-Appearing on OPRAH.

i'll summarize this whole thread for you.

Tickets might already be sold out.
    Masks cannot be brought into the studio.
    More Anons are pushing for a protest outside of the Studio to hand out flyers.

So, if you want to be apart of this protest and will be in the Chicago area, find some Chicago Anons and join in =) GL HF
  32. MeterMan Member

33. AnonyMama Member

Tickets are already gone. Here's the page on info. They DO have an email for last-minute tickets, but when I clicked it, it said there were no last-minute tix available.
    Reservation Information for The Oprah Winfrey Show

Time frames of when they're taping/in the studio:
    How long will the taping last?
    Generally, the morning taping ENDS around 11:00 a.m. and the afternoon taping ENDS around 3:00 p.m. These times are subject to change. You may want to eat something beforehand as there is no food service available inside the studio.

Additional Info:
    hat You Need to Know

Harpo Studios Address
    1058 West Washington, Chicago, IL

Harpo Studios is located in the near west side of Chicago, ten minutes west of the loop. We are located just west of I 90/94 and north of I 290.
    Entrance: The audience will enter at 1058 West Washington at the corner of Carpenter and Washington streets.
    Parking: Street parking and commercial lots are within a short distance of the entrance.

Click here for a printable map.
    You will need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to see this file. Download it here.

Arrival Times (Subject to Change)
    Morning taping: Between 7:00 a.m. and 7:30 a.m.
    Afternoon taping: Between 11:00 a.m. and 11:30 a.m.

Dress code
    Please avoid beige or white clothing if possible. It can be too reflective for the lights in the studio.

Cameras/Recorders
    No cameras, recorders, cell phones, pagers, etc. will be allowed in the studio. If you bring these or any similar items, we will check them and return them to you upon leaving the studio.

Security Check
    Everyone attending the show must go through a security check before gaining access to the studio. Please downsize any purses or bags you are bringing with you.

Please keep in mind that you are responsible for the actions of the people in your party. All guests in your party must be known to you.

Personal Identification
    Please bring at least one valid photo ID. You will not be allowed to enter the studio without a valid photo ID.

No gifts/luggage check
    No gifts, cards, letters, etc. will be accepted at audience check-in. Baggage-check facilities are not available.

Are stand-by or walk-in audience members allowed?
    No.

Are stand-bys allowed in the show?
    No.
  34. Re: Tom Cruise in Chicago May5th for Oprah Interview.

I would be very careful protesting in the name of "anon" at the Oprah show.
    Oprah is considered to be THE most powerful woman in media.
    Piss her off, and anon loses. Period.

Sh's not going to understand all of this, and my guess is, that she won't take the time to try to understand either.

I realize that this sounds like a good idea, but there is MAJOR risk involved.
    More than any other protest there is a huge chance that any or all people will be arrested.
    Her and her show are VERY protected.

Oprah is considered the pride of Chicago, people LOVE her here, she can do no wrong.
    Tread lightly on this one.
  35. WileyCoyote Member

36. AnonEFG12365 Member

Yeah your right about Oprah's power... If anything her power is stronger than any of the OT powers guaranteed by scientology. lol

you know... we could try... you know CONTACTING HER!

Zerg rush her email and send her stuff like "The Unfunny Truth about Scientology". That video got me Pissed off enough to protest, and Oprah is probably just as emotional as I am.

We need to inform her before this so we are not turned into the enemy.
  37. AnonZombie Member

As far as tickets go, there may be scalpers, especially since it's such a big show. Also, I looked on StubHub.com for tickets, but didn't find any. Some may pop up in the following days. Good luck, ChicagAnon!
  38. Joyful Member

Is there a way to get people to boycott those 2 shows? Just get it out online somehow?

Cause, really, a dip in ratings is what is going to get Oprah's attention more than anything else.
  39. Re: Tom Cruise in Chicago May5th for Oprah Interview.

wouldn't happen. People would still go because, at anytime, Oprah could give away a car or something.
  40. DSAnon Member

I'm kinda on the fence on this one too. Do we NOT piss her off and miss the opportunity to get some really good media Coverage AND the message out or DO we piss her off and not miss on anything?

Would Anonymous lose by pissing her off? Maybe,but I think it's highly unlikely. On a personal level I think this would generate more positives than negatives. Oprah may be rich and powerful...but shes not a fucking Immortal by any stretch, and you're right,she may not WANT to understand it.

Who the flying fuck cares what Oprah wants?

I think its high time she pull her head out of her ass and get a grip with these slebs,especially with TC pushing Scientology (possibly) on her show.

So there ya have it in a nutshell..I say Piss her off!