Customize

Today Tonight report on Senate Inquiry release (7/9/2010)

Discussion in 'Senator Xenophon And Scientology' started by Zhent, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

Re: Today Tonight report on Senate Inquiry release (7/9/2010)

I was sceptical. Do share.
  2. Cheappassion Member

Holy Inquiries, Bat Man.
    Best news I've heard in a long time...I was chatting with Sparrow just the other night, mentioning how last year was full of win and this year, so of frustration...Now this??!?!!?!?!
    Horaaaay!!!!!!!!!
  3. adhocrat Member

seize the puppy? wat?
    did you mean carpe noctum

That guy = Sign post

Great job oz
    for the cause
  4. Anonymous Member

2007 OCMB thread CofS owns 200 million dollars worth of property in Pinellas

There is also an old thread somewhere here on WWP that discusses this in detail.
  5. jensting Member

This is just, ehrm, AWESOME

Thanks heaps to everyone who helped out.

Best Regards

Jens
  6. the anti Member

if only there was a like button like on facebook
  7. Anonymous Member

Wow, just wow. I never thought this would work out the way it has. I am beyond surprised, I am in amazement at what Xenophon has accomplished.
  8. Joe Blitz Member

Thx-that about sums it up for me, too.

And just because I'm late to the par-tee, doesn't mean I haven't been lurkin'.
  9. TinyDancer Member

One of the things that I love about the cultwatch recommendation is that the Attorney General (and some of his staff) has to get up to speed about cult activity and measures other governments have tried. That's a great outcome in itself.

Then, he must report to the Senate, so the whole parliament will be educated (and the political media and whoever reads the newspaper).
  10. Anonymous Member

This is so important--and GREAT! Imagine NOT having to convince lawmakers that these crazy, improbable stories about concentration camps in Hemet, extortion, child abuse, kidnapping and worse are actually true! This really is a new day.
  11. Zhent Member

Did someone say sauce?

For your archiving pleasure:
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Sequence Summary:

File Size Processed: 202.21 MB, Play Time: 00h:05m:01s
    720 x 576, 25.00 fps, 4.87 Mbps (5.00 Mbps Average).
    Average Video Quality: 24.39 KB/Frame, 0.48 Bits/Pixel.
    MPEG Audio.
    0 of 7544 video frames found with errors.
    0 of 0 audio frames found with errors.
    0 corrupted video bytes in file.
    0.000000 seconds of video timestamp gaps.
    0.000000 seconds of audio timestamp gaps.

End of Log

Closed caption subtitles included. (PID: 801)
  12. Random guy Member

Tiny, since you are in the loop:

What happends now? Will the committees recommendation go to the Senate, and the senate wote on whether to make it law or not? Are the recommendations coming from senate committees usually voted through Parliament as they are, or are they commonly modified?
  13. anonanchovie Member

Awsome Anonymous is awsome
  14. RightOn Member

Do we need another thread to track down what COS owns in US and overseas and the taxes thay are NOT paying?
    I know I had a thread on closed orgs. But do we have one that has current properties and what the taxes would be?

Found this in another thread:
    A few examples in the US

"We identified 15 mega churches with a combined missed taxable revenue of $7.8 million a year in Hillsborough County. The remaining 275 churches (including property owned by the Church of Scientology who regained their tax-exempt status in 1993), is estimated at $10 million. This is a very low estimation as many of the churches on the list with low attendance have large properties.

Whether they go to church or not, all 1,180,784 residents of Hillsborough County, Florida, are paying $15/year ($60 for a family of four) making up for non-taxable property. [11]"
    ^^^^^^^^^
    THIS IS WHAT WE HAVE TO FIGURE OUT FOR ALL AREAS!!!
    THIS IS WHAT WILL GET THE GENERAL PUBLIC RILED UP!

The Church Politics and the IRS - SEOLawFirm.com

and
    Tampa, Florida -- It is one of Tampa's most famous building complexes, dating back to 1886. Ybor Square, which houses the Spaghetti Warehouse and Creative Loafing newspaper, is owned by the Church of Scientology. As a religious building, the church will be exempt from paying almost $75,000 in property taxes.
    http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=132269&catid=8
  15. Anonymous Member

I've thought for ages that the wiki should include a list (or country lists) of all the cult property we can identify. The UK rates project is rolling along and greatly helping to achieve that goal for that country.

How do property taxes / rates work in the US - I would assume they are a state or city issue???

The property portfolio will be incredibly useful in the final stages that I hope we will achieve. for example: A list of property assets will be very useful should there ever be a class action.
  16. Anonymous Member

NB: UK rates project wiki link for ideas and encouragement - it's incomplete.
  17. RightOn Member

Yes I think a thread here to gather info would be good and then transfer it over to the Wiki
    Vote on starting new thread?
    We can have catagories like US and list all the states A-Z. List the properties per state and their approximate tax assesments?
    Same with other countries

Title???
    Scientology Tax Exempt Properties
  18. Rockyj Member

Man your good at this, PLUS in the USA a lot of people are upset re: churches having tax exempt status & influencing political campaigns & legislation.
    For example: The Morons in CA stance against gay marriage Proposition 8 opposing (sorry if this issue is discussed in your posted article, didn't have time to read, off to work).
  19. moarxenu Member

I would appreciate clarification on this also. Do the working groups just go to work or is there some sort of Senate approval that is necessary?
  20. TinyDancer Member

Random, we have a strong "party discipline" in Oz. Politicians mostly vote with their party. I think the fact that the entire committee agreed with the recommendations is a sign that the parties may have agreed before the report was issued. Before the election, the assistant treasurer announced that the government would institute a charities commission if re-elected. I think he'll go with the recommendation for a not-for-profit commission instead.

Next - we keep up the pressure on the government to do what needs to be done to get draft legislation happening and conversations with the states too.
  21. Gary Moore Member

Tiny, can we all come and live in Oz please?
  22. Anonymous Member

I'm sure so long as you don't mind being a couple of hours drive from the ocean, there's room for everyone. Right TD?
  23. TinyDancer Member

As they say, the visa is in the mail.
    Actually, we have such a huge coastline that there's room for everyone to have a beachside home, pretty much.
  24. xenubarb Member

I want a nice little place in the bush, where taipans and funnel spiders play. And cockatoos...lots and lots of cockatoos! And I want to eat goanna on a stick. K?
  25. Anonymous Member

Goanna on a stick? fuck that. I want a double Wombat burger with large fries. Preferably with a good view of the shaggy haired sun-bleached blond surfies.
  26. RightOn Member

A new thread to hold info on COS tax exewmpt properties has now been posted.
    We need all the help we can get.
    http://forums.whyweprotest.net/12-a...ogys-tax-exempt-properties-71490/#post1318987
  27. Random guy Member

There were liberals (Eggleston), labor (Cameron) and independent (Xenophon) politicians on the committee, so if I understand you right, they will all back the proposition, right? The ABC report said this will be part of a general tax review, when will that happen? Who gets to word the law text? Could the proposition be watered down in some political horse trading?

I must say I envy you guys living in a country where at least occasionally mammals lay egg, fish breath air and politicians do an upstanding job!
  28. RolandRB Member

Nothing will happen in the UK government as a result of this. "Investigations are being carried out" not. The UK government has been told about the $87,160,000 going into COSRECI account in 1987 and disappearing. It only takes a few days to get confirmation and less if you have the authority. The UK government will do nothing and if they have said that they would then they are only humouring the Australian government. Nobody in the UK cares about what goes on in Australian politics but they pay attention to other aspects of Australian life such as Dirty Harry the Psychic Crocodile. I will only be convinced that the UK government is investigating this if Dirty Harry snaps the right chicken.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9YC6erO6jM[/ame]
  29. BigBeard Member

Roland,

Careful of the tunnel vision. The investigation on the UK side may have absolutely nothing to due with the $87,160,000 from 1987, but still be into issues that bring CO$RECI operations tumbling down in the end.

BigBeard
  30. Sponge Member

Roland, make your mind up ffs. In one thread you've convinced yourself that there's some UK investigation going on and yet in this thread you're saying the complete opposite.
  31. RolandRB Member

There is no contradiction. The investigation is nothing to do with what happened in Australia.

Edit: Be assured that Her Majesty's Government will do everything in its power to put a stop to these criminal activities...... oh, I'm sorry...... no offense meant.
  32. RolandRB Member

"Well, let's not bother with the $87,160,000 that disappeared. Rather, let us concentrate on something important. Did anyone notice the change in handwriting on the signature to the unaudited financial statements between the years 2006 and 2008?"

"By George - I think we're onto something!"
  33. xenubarb Member

So I herd goanna tastes like chicken...Gimme a bucket of KFG!
  34. genoramix Member

ahem...carpe diem

cave canem : pay attention to the dog
    carpe canem: huh...enjoy the dog? you're a sick latinophile furry barbz
  35. eddieVroom Member

Is kangaroo anything like venison?
  36. BigBeard Member

I didn't say the $87,160,000 wasn't important.

Just it's more likely any on going investigation is focused on things easier to prove in a court of law. Once that happens, it creates a crack to get a wedge in and split the whole thing wide open.

BigBeard
  37. RolandRB Member

What is easier to prove than that $87,160,000 went into their accounts (see my web page) and that it never came out?

http://www.xenu-directory.net/opinions/rashleighberry19971213.html
  38. Anonymous Member

Bump! :)
  39. RolandRB Member

Many thanks. That gives me time for another rant. I want people to carefully consider a situation I am suggesting......

What if we let the Mafia run the UK? All crime would be their crime. The streets would be safer to walk for the ordinary citizen as to have you robbed would be counter their interests. Yes, they would want their cut of money from you but I doubt they would want anything like the 40% governments take from you as they would not know how to spend such an amount. Perhaps 10-20%. Do you really think the UK government, that robs you blind of taxes and gives you lawless streets in return, is preferable or even more lawful than letting the Mafia take over?
  40. Anonymous Member

Yes, I've tried kangaroo burgers and kangaroo steak. Kind of dry, but OK if you add lots of sauce, salt and pepper.