Customize

TO: Mosey Rathbun files multi-million dollar lawsuit against CoS for harassment

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by rickybobby, Aug 21, 2013.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology appealing Rathbun decision to Texas Supreme Court

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, December 21, 2015

The Church of Scientology has requested, and was granted, extra time to submit a petition for review with the Texas Supreme Court, which is how we learned that Scientology does, indeed, plan to ask the state’s high court to review the decision handed down last month by the Third Court of Appeals.

If you’ve been following the case with us, you know that Monique Rathbun filed her harassment lawsuit against the church in August 2013. Scientology then filed an “anti-SLAPP” motion, claiming that Monique is suing Scientology over activities that are free speech, protected under the First Amendment. Comal County Judge Dib Waldrip disagreed, and denied the motion. After more than a year’s wait, the Third Court of Appeals upheld Waldrip’s decision, criticizing Scientology for trying to get First Amendment protection for what amounts to harassment in order to protect its business interests.

Scientology is throwing enormous resources at this lawsuit, showing up with up to 20 attorneys for its hearings, and hiring some of the best local talent — including a former chief justice of the state’s supreme court. And now, it’s pursuing yet another appeal for a motion that’s already failed twice. Why? Because Scientology leader David Miscavige, sitting on billions, has an unlimited slush fund for legal moves, whether they make sense or not. So on to the Texas Supreme Court we go!

The court gave Scientology until January 20 to submit the petition. We’ll bring it to you as soon as we can.

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2015/12/21/th...2015-scientology-year-in-review-starts-today/
    • Like Like x 4
  2. RightOn Member

of course they are
    If it's not evil...
    It's not Scientology!
    The COS should have been named Eviltology
  3. The Wrong Guy Member

Monique Rathbun Fires Her Entire Legal Team, Reportedly Seeks Settlement

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, February 1, 2016

Shocking news today out of Texas. Monique Rathbun’s legal team filed a notice with the Texas Supreme Court Friday withdrawing from Monique’s harassment lawsuit against the Church of Scientology after they were fired by Monique “without cause.”

The document that showed up this morning in the court’s docket says very little, but we are hearing that news of this decision was delivered to the lawyers by Monique’s husband, Mark “Marty” Rathbun, who was once a high-ranking official in the Church of Scientology.

<snipped>

If the Rathbuns wanted to settle, they were in a great position to do so, having just won the appeal, so firing the attorneys who might be able to get that settlement seems like a strange move. From a legal standpoint, this move makes little sense, our experts are telling us.

We put in messages to both Rathbuns and all four of their attorneys and have not heard back from them. We did hear from TX Lawyer, our commenter who is an appellate attorney in Texas and has provided expert guidance on this case. He told us he was shocked, and he would be sending over some comments for us in a few minutes.

Here’s the filing:

There's more here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/02/01/mo...ntire-legal-team-reportedly-seeks-settlement/
    • Like Like x 3
  4. The Wrong Guy Member

Tony has updated the article to include this:

We put in messages to both Rathbuns and all four of their attorneys and have not heard back from them. We did hear from TX Lawyer, our commenter who is an appellate attorney in Texas and has provided expert guidance on this case. He sent us this:

I just pulled up the motion to withdraw on the Texas Supreme Court website, and all I can think is that this is crazy. To the best of my knowledge, I have never met any of the members of Mrs. Rathbun’s legal team, but just from an outsider’s perspective, they were kicking legal butt. Beating that anti-SLAPP motion to dismiss was a really big deal, as was having Judge Waldrip’s ruling stand up at the Austin Court of Appeals. I note also that the motion to withdraw expressly says that the legal team was discharged “without cause.” That’s lawyer-speak for “we are not giving up our contingency fee.” Whatever broke up this relationship, it would not appear to be the quality of the legal representation.

This case has been going on for about two years now, if memory serves. And while I know that’s the speed of molasses from most civilians, Mrs. Rathbun’s legal team really seemed to have this case set up to inflict some pain on the church in the coming year. Unless the Texas Supreme Court reached out to kill the case, it was going to be back in Judge Waldrip’s courtroom for discovery and motions practice, and probably for trial within the next year or so. There were no more meaningful opportunities for the church to take things up on appeal. It is a mystery to me why you would terminate your attorneys just when things are about to get really, really interesting.

What’s even more bizarre to me is that there does not appear to be any replacement counsel. The legal team is just being fired, without anyone to serve Monique in their stead. That is not wise. Even if the Rathbuns think they are going to work something out in settlement with the church, they have now left themselves completely exposed in the courts. Say the church moves forward with its petition for review at the Texas Supreme Court — is Marty really going to draft up the response brief? And if Scientology files a bunch of motions back in the trial court, who is going to be there to answer them? They would have been so much better off with the lawyers who brought them this far. Now they’re on their own, and you can bet the church will take every advantage of that situation.

http://tonyortega.org/2016/02/01/mo...ntire-legal-team-reportedly-seeks-settlement/
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Anonymous Member

dafuq are they thinking???
    • Like Like x 1
  6. DeathHamster Member

I can see them settling, but firing the lawyers before that settlement has been reached is suicidal madness.
    • Like Like x 4
  7. 344

But Marty said they wouldn't settle for money because that's not why they made this lawsuit!
  8. sallysock Member

• Like Like x 5
  9. Random guy Member

I wouldn't blame blame Monique for settling on favourable terms, but firing the legal team???
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Missfit Member

Yo Mosey, from one card carrying uterus holder to another:

Divorce the mentally unstable man you married before your settlement goes through. Then run like hell.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  11. Inb4 Marty goes full retard at doing his own bad lawyering, and then has to flee the country and live in Canada trapped in his own delusional war with the cult. Oh wait...
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. sallysock Member

So I saw this.

marty.JPG

popcorn
    • Like Like x 9
  13. The Wrong Guy Member

So far Tony has provided three more updates. Quote:

UPDATE: We’re seeing a lot of commenters assuming that a secret settlement deal had already been worked out, and that as part of it Scientology asked that Monique fire her attorneys. As far as we’ve been able to determine, that is not the case. Talking to several people familiar with the case, we believe that settlement talks with Scientology have not yet begun.

UPDATE 2: Several readers have noticed the Ingleside address that Leslie Hyman provides for Monique. We have been told that the Rathbuns have, indeed, moved back recently to Ingleside and are no longer living in the San Antonio area.

UPDATE 3: Just received this from one of our regular legal helpers: “I think this is the most absurd action by a client that I have seen in my 20 years of practicing, except for actions taken by prisoners or mentally disturbed plaintiffs.”

Source, with more than 600 comments:
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Ersatz Global Moderator

This could most ugly. I've got time.
    • Like Like x 5
  15. thesneakster Member

Update just now from Marty on his blog:

"Mark my words. Tony Ortega and his unnamed sources will rue this day when they declared Monique Rathbun as fair game and subjected her to intentional libel."

It could very well be that Tony Ortega got played. Of course, actual court filings are pretty hard to fake.

https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/
  16. DeathHamster Member

"Rue this day", who talks like that?
    • Like Like x 4
  17. thesneakster Member

People who learned college-level English.
  18. DeathHamster Member

Everything is a matter of record, except that they're looking for a settlement.

If they're not, I don't see why they'd fire their present team, and if they have a new legal team, then I would have thought that the new team would be ready to step in immediately. If they don't, well...
    • Like Like x 1
  19. DeathHamster Member

It must have been a college for B-grade serial villains.

Dox that Marty attended college?
    • Like Like x 3
  20. 246

Marty still enjoys threatening people. When a wise guru like Marty threatens you, the end is near. Tony is scared and already ruing this day. (not)
  21. Tony Ortega has shown plenty of journalistic integrity and has also been extremely fair to this rat bastard who has a nasty violent streak and pretends to be an author of enlightened books that are written at the third grade level with big words spliced in to his unintelligible elusive Marty-Taoisms that are literary abominations.

I thought there was a glimmer of hope at one point for Marty Rathbun to move on from Scientology, clearly he is not moving on up a little higher like George and Weezie did to their deluxe apartment in the sky.

This Scientology 'Warrior' and Fair Game abuser has had a hand in the utter destruction of many scientologist's lives and belongs in jail for what he did in the horrendous abuse case of Lisa Mcpherson while she was put through the Hubbard Introspection Rundown (exactly run per LRH policy) that killed this attractive young woman in desperate need of proper medical care.

This total Dick knew it and cared more about destroying the records of her brutal 'care' that killed her than he did about helping this starving, mentally ill girl that they had locked up in a room at the Fort Harrison after dragging her away from a real hospital. Marty and his complicit gang of Scientologists watched her wither and die after 17 excruciating days of LRH lockdown.

You know all about Hubbard's Introspection Rundown and how to implement this brutal program to 'handle' wayward pc's, don't you Mr. Rathbun? Once this brutal implmentation killed her you had to handle the PR Flap and you're a master at that thanks to your Scientology training, destroy critical damaging evidence. I've never seen you or Rinder ever truly take responsibility for your actions in this horrendous tragedy or even dnounce the insane 'Tech' of LRH that killed her, the Introspection Rundown.

Google: Scientology Introspection Rundown / Death of Lisa Mcpherson

Tony Ortega has been more than fair to Marty over the years. Marty has a lot of balls to accuse and threaten anyone of using Hubbard's nasty 'Fair Game' policy which he personally enforced for years as David Miscavige's former enforcer and LRH henchman who spent years enforcing the brutal policy on many who strayed from the 'Tech'.

Anyone who reads Marty's books will 'woo' the day they picked it up long before Tony Ortega has to rue the day Marty's threats come true.
    martyhubbard-jpg.184706.jpg frontcoverphoto.jpg?w=165&amp;h=253.jpg marty-balanzone.jpg 9200000015286475.jpg
    Classic Shoop by FreakE420

Here's your Fair Game legacy with your fellow dangerous LRH loving partners in crime Heber Jentzch and Mike Rinder, Marty, stop with the hypocritical 'Fair Game' threats against anyone, you've done enough damage for one lifetime, thanks for playing.
    • Like Like x 6
  22. DeathHamster Member

If he wants to get out on the best terms possible rather than riding a case that'll bounce up and down the courts for the next 5-10 years, I don't blame him. Freedom from harassment, spying and all things Scientology would be the best thing for him and his family.

I just hope that it's not a sign that Marty is stressed-out and making half-cocked decisions right now, because CoS will tear him apart in that case. Marty knows how that game is played, from the other side: Look at Bob Minton.
    • Like Like x 5
  23. Quentinanon Member

Monique's firing of her attorneys is crazy and self-destructive. Is that what scientology turns people into?
    YES
    • Like Like x 1
  24. [IMG]
  25. You're hilarious.
    • Like Like x 5
  26. If I were them and Co$ would offer 10 mill. and no more letters and spies from them, I'd take it and have peace. Maybe wrong morally and I dont't want to know what he did inside the bubble.
    But anyway Co$ will not be defeated by a single individual. It will be the mass of people.
  27. The Wrong Guy Member

The particularly bad timing of Monique Rathbun’s decision to fire her attorneys

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, February 2, 2016

Excerpt:

It makes no sense to fire attorneys on a contingency basis to bring one on who is going to charge by the hour, so that’s probably not going to happen. Is there another attorney who is going to come in and work on a contingency basis? That’s possible, but the enormity of the case would mean that it would take weeks for a new attorney to get up to speed. And Monique doesn’t really have that much time.

On February 19, the defendants in the lawsuit face a deadline of turning in their petition to the Texas Supreme Court. They have already received two extensions, and this last time, they were told that an additional extension would be “disfavored.” It’s very hard to see David Miscavige instructing his attorneys to miss that deadline and a chance to petition the Texas Supreme Court without a settlement worked out. That leaves very little time for a settlement to happen, and our best information tells us that those talks have not even begun.

Speaking of the petition, we’ll remind readers where this lawsuit is currently. Scientology is asking the Texas Supreme Court to review a devastating decision by the Texas Third Court of Appeals which shot down Scientology’s argument that its harassment of the Rathbuns was a form of free speech. Our legal observers tell us there was a good chance that this decision would have been upheld by the state supreme court, and that Scientology had every intention of then taking it to the US Supreme Court — and a loss there would have been huge for anyone who wanted to sue Scientology in the United States for harassment. That won’t happen now.

We will be watching the docket closely to see if a new attorney does make an appearance for Monique, or to see if the case is ended, which would suggest a settlement is reached.

http://tonyortega.org/2016/02/02/th...ique-rathbuns-decision-to-fire-her-attorneys/
    • Like Like x 3
  28. Ersatz Global Moderator

latest?cb=20120409205746.jpg
    • Like Like x 6
  29. Another thought: If someone would accidently or intentionally kill a party of a lawsuit, would the lawsuit stop?
    And how would this action be punished?
    Reading TO's recent article, the dangers for Co$ by this lawsuit seem really big, amirite?
  30. "Accidentally" you stupid twit. No one is talking about anyone getting killed and only OSA uses out dated memes. Be better than OSA.
  31. thesneakster Member

I don't need to document a claim I did not make. Please learn to read what is actually written.

Michael A. Hobson
    Independent Scientologist
    email: warrior_mike2001@yahoo.com
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mhobson2011
  32. DeathHamster Member

Since I was quoting Marty in my comment, perhaps you should do the same?
    • Like Like x 2
  33. BravenBurn Member

or maybe a trademark
  34. Quentinanon Member

Then document your claim that using the word "rue" constitutes "college-level english"
    • Like Like x 3
  35. DeathHamster Member

If Marty is making a deal, then I'd expect that his blog will go dark at some point, or possibly control handed to CoS.

Old School tactics, I'd expect him to renounce all his previous declarations, but maybe they're weak enough that just removing him from the board would be enough. Hmm. They'd really like a denouncement of Going Clear and My Scientology Movie, but we'll see.
    • Like Like x 2
  36. This again? Maybe Monique has been osa all this time.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  37. When I hear/read the word rue I automatically think of Mac and cheese.
  38. It's unfortunate when people make light of a squirrely situation
    • Like Like x 1