Customize

Time's Poll: Julian Assange won 20 times more votes than Mark Zuckerberg but lost

Discussion in 'Wikileaks' started by Richie Jones, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Richie Jones Member

2. Anonymous Member

Re: Time's Poll: Julian Assange won 20 times more votes than Mark Zuckerberg but lost

Just cancelled my sub to it and bitched.
  3. Anonymous Member

Re: Time's Poll: Julian Assange won 20 times more votes than Mark Zuckerberg but lost

Pressure from the government?
  4. Anonymous Member

So, we blatantly game it for Moot and he gets it, but don't have to for Assange and he doesn't? WTF?

Although, I suspect that after Moot winning it, another Anon linked or influenced win would be a bit too much, and we'd be accused of rigging it again.

Next year I, Anonymous, should definitely win though.
  5. themadhair Member

Read the comments section on the Time website. Talk about taking a hammering for their decision.
  6. Anonymous Member

Does anyone report for the people anymore? oh wait Assange did and now he's standing trial.... Showing the change in out TIMES?
  7. Anonymous Member

Here's why the choice of Zuckerberg in particular is so fucking terrible:

Zuckerberg is the face of the "persistent identity" model of the internet. With facebook connect on millions of sites, users can connect what they say and do anywhere online with their real name and real friends. It's in diametric opposition to the anonymous free speech that categorizes both anonymous stomping grounds and the "handle" or "screen name" models. We all know the benefits of anonymous free speech on the internet, by choosing Zuck Time (and it's corporate overlords) are tacitly supporting a model of the internet that will make it more difficult for dissenting opinions to be expressed, especially against powerful entities like governments and large corporations.

It's a line in the sand, and we're squarely on the other side of it.
  8. Re: Time's Poll: Julian Assange won 20 times more votes than Mark Zuckerberg but lost

^^ This... Excellent point!
  9. Zak McKracken Member

I think Zuckerberg could have deserved it.
    Maybe, "Man of the Year: 2008"

But today, FB is mostly just meh.

No surprise that the editors of Time need a new watch. :/
  10. Anonymous Member

Time were damned if they do and damned if they don't.
    voters51.jpg
    But completely ignoring there own poll is just insane.
  11. Re: Time's Poll: Julian Assange won 20 times more votes than Mark Zuckerberg but lost

Ya know, it's funny that Americans believe their country's propaganda telling us that communist nations control their countries' beliefs through - none other than - those countries' propaganda..

OMG COMMUNIST NATINS ARE USIN PROPAGANDA TA CONTROL THAR CITIZENS' BELIEFS! I NO THIS CAUS' THA NEWS TOLD ME SO!!!

The fact of the matter is, EVERY nation controls their citizens through propaganda! Assange had a different dream though: that all information be freely available to everyone so that the governments of the world would no longer have complete control over us. Now he's detained by a government, and sure enough his ideals are being twisted by our propaganda. Now what are we Anonymous soldiers to do to keep our currently detained brother's dream alive?
  12. Rockyj Member

Time Warner owns Time Magazine & I believe also funded the Facebook movie: The Social Network.
    Could be just about DVD sales.
  13. Joekenorer Member

Mark Zuckerberg*
  14. Sponge Member

Can someone confirm if this "editors choice" is a new thing that Time has started with this or whether it has been done in the past.
  15. Anonymous Member

Not a new thing. Last year moot won the people's choice and the editors chose someone else.
  16. JohnnyRUClear Member

lol electoral college
  17. Sponge Member

18. Anonymous Member

I don't recall Time's Person of the Year being determined by popular vote previously. Why the fuss now?

Yes, the choice of Fuckerberg is a prime example of Your Corporate Agenda At Work, but it's not like anybody should be surprised by that.
  19. Anonymous Member

Whenever my husband and I get into an argument, one of us will throw out this line that we wisely learned from our brief brush with Scientology:

"Let's Not Cloud the Issue with Facts."
  20. Paggers Anon Member

I'd just like to agree with everyone that ignoring the public's vote for Assange was scandalous. What's the point of having a public vote if you are just going to ignore it? At least Times Magazine are getting a pounding for it on their website.

The worlds media does seem to be in fear of supporting Wiki Leaks/ Assange. The amount of negative non-factual opinion in the UK press against Wiki Leaks and Assange seems to support this (appart from The Guardian of course - well done to them).
  21. DarkXLord Member

If they didn't wanted people opinion, they could just have chosen the man of the year themselves. Oh well, they wasted time and money into doing this poll, and they will lose readers, what an awful choice.
  22. JustMissedMe Member

The polls are a newish thing, and yeah, TIME doesn't actually use them to pick Person of the Year. It's a hype creation device, that's all.

But seriously, Zuckerberg?! Oh, sure, Facebook is huge and insane and creeps up on the unsuspecting. But this is pretty damned sad. It makes it seem like TIME's too chicken to deal with the flack they get when they put someone with even the faintest whiff of controversy about them in the PotY spot.

Even so, I could possibly give them a pass, vested corporate interest being what it is and all, except for the creepy cover. Yikes! Talk about a less than flattering photo, it looks like some sort of horrifyingly dead-eyed mug-shot. And the eyes follow you. Not cool, TIME! Not cool!
  23. Anonymous Member

Question: What's a time magazine? Is that like one of those dinosaur excavation thingies in a time capsule?
  24. JustMissedMe Member

It's a thing that they have on the checkout endcaps of the grocery store so you have something to pretend to be interested in so that you can avoid making eye contact with the other people in line.

Not one of the ones that talks about orgasms though, at least not usually.
  25. Anonymous Member

He is one ugly sonofabitch. Bet he gets more pussy than any of us though. What an intrinsically fucked up world we live in.
  26. Anonymous Member

This is why I hardly ever use FB. I only check in for updates when I see them in my email. Almost all my friends say absolutely anything they want on there and really don't care if the stalkers are watching. It is a tad disturbing seeing how people are making profiles for their babies, this way their entire lives are recorded online and is completely public. Some people might say well if they have nothing to hide. But if your family and want to be friend with certain people, that does not necessitate that you have to know every fucking thing about them. Sometimes I take to tell people to shut the fuck up, I don't want to know you that slept will a million men in college, you slut.
  27. eddieVroom Member

28. Anonymous Member

Awwwwe, Time magazine decided they didn't want to go with another winner selected by bots and scriptz. Cry more guys, seriously.
  29. Anonymous Member

While I agree that nothing should ever be determined by anonymous internet polls, you have to concede that Assange was definitely more influential in 2010 than Zuck
  30. Anonymous Member

Don't care. I'm just laughing at people getting up in arms about this.
  31. Anonymous Member

I just went to the laundromat and threw all the Time mags in the trash. I will make this a new habit. Every time I see a Time mag at a doctors office or waiting room, it will disappear, just like my vote for Assange.
  32. Re: Time's Poll: Julian Assange won 20 times more votes than Mark Zuckerberg but lost

Didn't they select "You" (everybody) as Person of the Year in 2006? I'm sorry, but I fail to see how this or anything else could top that level of faggotry. Even Erdogan would have been a better choice, and Erdogan is a piece of shit.
  33. Re: Time's Poll: Julian Assange won 20 times more votes than Mark Zuckerberg but lost

Looking at the Time Magazine Person of the Year, I see some real winners: 1988, The Endangered Earth; 1982, The Computer; 2003, The American Soldier (oops, brb. war crimes); 2005, The Good Samaritans (rich faggots who gave up a tiny portion of their largess to those less fortunate); 1975, The American Woman; 1966, the Baby Boomers; 1950, the American Fighting Man; and let's not forget, 1936, Wallis Simpson, who did the world a favor by forcing a Nazi off the British throne.
  34. Anonymous Member

We are no longer accepting comments for this article.

Looks like Time can't take the criticism and deleted it. LOL
  35. Mark Cabian Member

The 'Police State in my internets?' topic should not go away.
  36. Anonymous Member

Facebook is a tool for the NWO, just like Hitlers IBM classification system was but now on a much bigger scale. Godwin law not intended. Cocks and such.
  37. Herro Member

Oh hey, why not just burn them so you don't have to worry about somebody being able to fish it out of the trash and read it?
  38. moarxenu Member

So good to have you back, Herro. I thought all hope was lost.
  39. Anonymous Member

Maybe they just wanted a winner who could turn up in person to lift the award.
  40. Miranda Member

Time's person of the year is not bestowed as an honor--they once gave it to Hitler. It goes to the person who most affected the news that year. To say FB has affected the news more this year than Assange speaks poorly of the news.