Customize

This usual?

Discussion in 'Youtube and Vimeo Problems' started by Lizzy0lizzard, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Lizzy0lizzard Member

This usual?

Dear Member:

This is to notify you that we have removed or disabled access to the following material as a result of a third-party notification by Viacom International Inc. claiming that this material is infringing:

La verdad de la milanesa/Truth about milanesa: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqvrpgEthmg[/ame]

(It was the section on South Park about how the "head" was telling Stan that he had to write on and explains how a "global scam works"?
    I don't think that "third-party" has something to do with ComedyCentral, does it?
    Viacom?)

Please Note: Repeat incidents of copyright infringement will result in the deletion of your account and all videos uploaded to that account. In order to prevent this from happening, please delete any videos to which you do not own the rights, and refrain from uploading additional videos that infringe on the copyrights of others. For more information about YouTube's copyright policy, please read the Copyright Tips guide.

If you elect to send us a counter notice, please go to our Help Center to access the instructions.

Please note that under Section 512(f) of the Copyright Act, any person who knowingly materially misrepresents that material or activity was removed or disabled by mistake or misidentification may be subject to liability.

Sincerely,
    YouTube, Inc.
  2. Rheinländer Member

Re: This usual?

Smells like Bullshit Ollie.
  3. fotoanon Member

Don't jump to conclusions...
    Viacom is super extra vigilant about taking down videos.

They do the same for Daily Show and Colbert vids.
  4. whosit Member

The Comedy Central folks in particular have seem to taken a hard stand with YouTube. It very likely is Viacom as they own Comedy Central.

edit: How much of the clip did you use? And why was it posted? Might fall under fair use, might not.
  5. Vir Member

6. Lizzy0lizzard Member

I just selected one minute from the "In the Closet" and added translations of the dialogue in Spanish for those who cannot understand it in English.
  7. whosit Member

Ah - not even sure if Fair Use would apply outside the US. Was it used to make a political statement used in conjunction with some other video? Inside the US that would fall comfortably under Fair Use and Free Speech and you could then make a argument with YouTube/Google about it. If it just because you think its funny I think you're pretty well screwed.
  8. Spangly Member

It's still copyright infringement and the rights-holder CAN nail your bollocks to the wall for it if they feel so inclined.
  9. whosit Member

Inside the US that might not necessarily be true.
  10. Lizzy0lizzard Member

Should I reply or just... let it be?

I just wanted Spanish-speaking people to have access to that particular part of the episode in which they are openly saying that Scientology is a scam.
    I mean, openly telling the actual Truth.

That was all. No big issue.

Should I be.. like... scared???

:p
  11. Your Mom Member

Basically, Viacom is within its rights to claim copyright and YouTube will always kneel down and blow the giant corporation before defending the little guy.

Unless you can get explicit permission from Viacom to use that clip in the manner you wish, you really have no recourse as far as YouTube is concerned.

Hope that helps.
  12. Lizzy0lizzard Member

Thanks!

Ok, so, I let it slide....

If they don't want it, that's it.

I was just wondering if they were going to take any more measures... but if taking down the vid is all they will do... no problem.
  13. Your Mom Member

It is likely a strike against your account, so you'll want to make sure you don't run afoul of the TOS anytime soon, but it probably won't be that big a deal if you're careful.
  14. King Nerd Member