Customize

The wiki is down.

Discussion in 'Support Questions' started by Proxima Centauri, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Little_Sister Member

Re: The wiki is down.

You guys need to chill, everything is being taken care of by very good people.
    Be like my friend here, he isn't freaking out.
    OuBt9.jpg
  2. Anonymous Member

I'm being subcontinental, that's where the vowels are in reverse alphabetical order.
  3. AnonyMary Member

Oh, so now I'm freaked out and paranoid because I ask simple questions and post a solution to no communication for days because sites are down that people work their butts off getting information up there to inform people.

Fuck it. Ban me please. I've had my fill of WWP bullshit
  4. Little_Sister Member

Goddamn it people, everyone is getting pissy and stressed and the problem IS getting looked after-shit happens. Deal with it. No need to have damned tantrums and "quit".
    YOU'RE TEARING US APART.
    pq4aK.gif
  5. sue Administrator

If it's going to be like that forget about the detailed and nice report. Also forget us spending another minute on recovering any data.

what happened: the hard disks in the wiki server died, due to the server being behind the ddos shunt boxes the backup mechanism didn't work. We tried replacing the controller boards of the harddisks, we tried about every possible way to get those drives to work for the ten or twenty so minutes needed to recover the wiki database to no avail.

If you do not think we have been splitting our hairs this week, to not go with the last resort possible: i.e paying roughly $3000 with only a 50/50 chance that the data we actually want is recovered from that specific type of drive, you need a sanity check.

So there you go, it's gone, fuck shelving out anything to get it back, and fuck doing anything for the types of ingrates like you.

As for anonymary: If any one else wants a ban i'll be happy to oblige.
  6. Anonymous Member

Thanks to whomever is working their butts off to solve this.

Is the $3000 try still being considered? Would a donation help?
  7. grebe Member

Computers can be cruel sometimes.

Is there an old back-up with most of the stuff someplace?
  8. sue Administrator

It is an absolute last resort. We are still very reluctant towards donation drives, especially considering the circumstances, i think i also speak for both me and da5id that we think such an amount could have been put to much better use. As long as other options might work we don't want to ring the alarm bells and or put the begging bowls out, hence our prolonged silence.

In short, no. the remote servers supposed to backup the databases run a daily script that stops services, then scp's the latest snapshot from the live server to then delete backups over 7 days old. I will let you guess which part worked and which part didn't...

Our most positive out look at this time is scraping search engines for cached pages, this will require lots of manual work to redo the formatting, images are likely lost.
  9. Little_Sister Member

Stuff is going as we type, we'll know whats good and whats not soon.
  10. grebe Member

So we can take what Proxima Centauri saved in August and rebuild from that, maybe?
  11. sue Administrator

We're going to see what we can recover from search engine caches, and see if we can wikify most of the content automatically. But yes, there will be some need to do manual work.
  12. grebe Member

Proxima it sounds like you may have proved to be a very useful faggot. Good on ya for doing something you felt was prudent on your own initiative.

If you deleted your back-ups to save disk space or whatever, then, well, nevermind. Cocks, etc.
  13. Anonymous Member

Please let us know how/if we can help - both techies and non-techies.

Also, thank you very much to everyone who's scrambled to try to fix this, and to those who didn't bitch about it before the details were provided.
  14. sue Administrator

Will do, and agreed especially on the bitching part --feel free to point out we messed up, but please keep the circumstances, the budget, etc in mind. Demanding explanations as if we owed you one is a bit too much.

This just in: da5id has been standing in the dc for most of the day, server is back up and running with new hard drives, give us a few days at most to wikify and commit the search engine cache.
  15. grebe Member

I do appreciate you mysterious anons behind the scenes volunteering your time and somehow surviving all the intense fear and anger directed your way.
  16. sue Administrator

Dealing with the anger directed at us comes with the job, still doesn't make it easier to cope with. It does at times take its toll but i think we're doing pretty well on that front.

that being said this thread is going better than initially expected. I had stocked up this video :

17. grebe Member

I dream of a day when there's no fair game, no PIs stalking critics, no dead agent tech, no trying to get people fired, no kids charged with Federal crimes when a stern talking-to would have sufficed, no insane power-hungry cults infiltrating governments --you get the idea. Then maybe there will be time for someone to catch me up on all the crap that happened before I started paying attention last year.
  18. Anonymous Member

Didn't you get the memo? That's how the general public often treats volunteers.
    Eg sportsparents. Sad really.

However, I know many here, including me, appreciate you all. And these efforts.

Well, mostly anyway. Or, rather, often y'all make good decisions. Or at least decisions that don't suck too bad. Or actually, I mean decisions that don't suck too bad at least some of the time.

Now that I think about it, there's only one thing that can solve this: post tits.
  19. Re: The wiki is down.

There's this one with this backup but it only goes to late August.
  20. Waco anonman Member

i thinks the Co$ is starting to try out our own tactics...ddos attacks... this really sucks...FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  21. Re: The wiki is down.

Wikia computers are carrying that copy of the wiki, it isn't using any of my computer memory. I first started a wiki that I planned for creative anty-scientology material, then I found there was creative stuff in your wiki and mine wasn't needed but when the DDoD attacks started I decded to copy your wiki there.

Wikia are happy to do that kind of thing because they post advertisements on every page but I have limited control over what happens on that wiki. I'll feel more comfortable when you've copied it all as I've got no more power in that wiki than I had with your wiki.
  22. JohnnyRUClear Member

Settle down, Beavis.
  23. Anonymous Member

Because you quoted one of my favorite movies:

I wish you guys guys would stop pussy footing around the truth and just say that you need donations from members for this non-profit site. None of you Admins or mods should be expected to foot the bill for this site...I think we are all over the Enturb thang...more than likely 3/4 do not even know what that is.

Most of us would give a buck or two, if we knew that you needed it.

Why so shy ?
  24. Miranda Member

Donation drives in the past haven't met with unparalleled success, and I think the admins are trying to avoid going there. But (this is not a de facto donation drive) anyone can donate to WWP at any time by using the Donations link at the top of the page.
  25. Re: The wiki is down.

I discussed the issue before in the thread, Is the Wiki protected against Cyber-attack?, I got laughed at and got the impression that there was no serious problem over the wiki. I've reread the thread and I see people were giving serious suggestions at the same time laughing at everything,that's just a WWP meme. If there'd been less humour it's more likely that I'd have carried on copying after August.
  26. Anonymous Member

When shit like this happens you'll only hear the complaints. This was something beyond your control and sensible folks realise you guys run this shit for free. Stuff will be recovered/replaced and having the wiki down for a while is better than not having it at all.

One lesson people could take from it all is that if there's a page they've put a lot of work into creating, it would be a good idea of them to hold on to a copy of the information themselves.
  27. sue Administrator

the remote servers supposed to backup the databases run a daily script that stops services, then scp's the latest snapshot from the live server to then delete backups over 7 days old. I will let you guess which part worked and which part didn't...

Illustration:

g4065.png
  28. sue Administrator

Thank you for being considerate, i don't think i have anything to add to your post.
  29. Re: The wiki is down.

Dedicated Sea Orgers run Scientology for practically nothing. If anything as bad as this happens in the Sea Org those who made the slip would be over in the RPF for a long time and none of their dedicated work would count in their favour. What would happen to me? Some Scientologist over me would decide arbitrarily. Well if I were lucky I would get upstats for saving part of the material, if I were unlucky I would get downstats, perhaps even to the RPF for not doing anything after August. What I’d done would be used whether I was rewarded or punished.

Naturally we treat other Anons better than Scientology treats members and staff.
  30. sue Administrator

If you are going with the scientology anology, we wouldn't end up in the RPF, instead we would wring every cent out of your wallet for a new "ideal server". The old refurbished ones being at their end of life, and not able to sustain the ever increasing expansion. Brb Scotch.
  31. Anonymous Member

You are seriously awesome.
  32. Anonymous Member

Indeed.
  33. Anonymous Member

34. Ann O'Nymous Member

35. Re: The wiki is down.

You will be in the RPF till you've wrung every last UK penny from my bank account.
  36. DeathHamster Member

As a substitute for baaawing and whining, I've put together a Portapedia which can be used for getting Wiki articles into shape offline and then uploading. (As well as keeping personal notes.) It lives inside a local HTML page on your machine or on a memory stick, and runs in your browser. No server required.

Works best in Firefox, and you have to save a local copy to edit it.
  37. xenubarb Member

Re: Were is our Jeff ? or 884 ?

EEEP! Now that there is just creepy! What app?
  38. JohnnyRUClear Member

Were is the "h" in your title?
  39. Anonymous Member

Why post a link to Wiki when there is no link to Jeff Stone, the Riverside scumbag?