Customize

"The Streisand Effect"

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by Relyt, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Relyt Member

"The Streisand Effect"

I did a quick search on the forums and this has been brought up in comments before, but I thought I'd make a topic about it, because it's very interesting and is basically the first major footbullet put forward by the Church of Scientology in getting Project Chanology started, which is even mentioned in this wikipedia article:

Streisand effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. momISanon Member

Re: "The Streisand Effect"

I actually read that term, today, on YT. Very interesting from a sociological perspective. The internet is a new tool for information.
  3. Ann O'Nymous Member

Whoops! Browser Settings Incompatible
  4. xenubarb Member

There is another group that was busted for stealing free newspapers after an article critical of them came out. This was back in the late 70s. The paper was the San Diego Reader, a freebie which is distributed every Thursday all over town.

The story was about a guy who accepted an offer for a "free mountain retreat" up in the mountains east of Los Angeles. The group was the Hare Krishnas. The writer, after spending some time at the retreat, escaped on a vegetable delivery truck and wrote about his experience.

The Krishnas made the mainstream paper when it came out that they went out early Thursday morning and scooped up all the issues to prevent people from reading about their little brainwashing factory. Alas, in those pre-internet days, the story did not grow legs.

The things that struck me about the article were the sleep deprivation, constant companionship (wanted or not) and how the writer was repeatedly told, "You can leave any time you want to." Of course, being on foot in the mountains, miles away from anywhere, is not really an option.