Customize

The Search for Excalibur

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by megaphonebitch, Jul 1, 2008.

1. anyjane Member

Re: The Search for Excalibur

That's close to the span I'm looking at.

Edit- one of the tricky bits may be in finding a 100% complete alias pen/name list. Some authors had known ones and additional hidden ones that were not revealed until decades after their death. IIRC when pulps/mags were close to deadline (even though there was no shortage of authors) a reserve story or article could be "slapped" in under a different name to fill it out if needed.
  2. Re: The Search for Excalibur

Yes it would be worth looking to Hubbard's science fiction, if your time to you is worth wasting.

It is actually sufficient to know that Hubbard was a pathological liar and a sociopath in order to intelligently oppose the monstrous, sociopathic cult he started.

If you know that he was a gargantuan liar, and if you understand what a sociopath is, reading his sf very well might give you some tidbits or insights to validate that knowledge.

If you're a clam and believe that Hubbard was the biggest and the most superior being in the past trillions of years, who discovered mankind's only hope to reverse the universe's dwindling spiral, then his sf writings will validate those insane beliefs.

If you're actually and honestly researching Hubbard's life for a real purpose; e.g., to write a book, to decide for yourself between sociopath or world savior, or to engage the insanity-believing Scientologists to save them from the dwindling spiral of Scientology, then certainly read his sf output.

I've just finished, e.g., his Ole Doc Methuselah series, which he wrote in the period when he was doing sex magic tricks with Jack Parsons and concocting Dianetics. His "Admissions," from the same period, connect to ODM; e.g.,

Ole Doc, of course was 900+ years old because of the modern medical discoveries made in his lifetime.

ODM is even helpful in the ongoing discussion of the cult's philosophy, policy and practice of "fair game." Hubbard writes:
    Hubbard's understanding of "fair game" in 1947 comports with his 1967 policy statement:

Hubbard, and all Scientologists, view themselves as superior to "Suppressive Persons" in culture and technology, making SPs inferior to Scientologists and thus "fair game."

The understanding of "fair game" Hubbard provides in Ole Doc Methuselah in 1947 does *not* comport with the cynical, bullshit/pablum definition he concocted, and the cultists now promulgate, to cloak this evil and insane philosophy, policy and practice. E.g.,
    So Ole Fair Gamer Hubbard's science fiction can be useful.
  3. anyjane Member

Hi Gerry, I was going to check out "Master Storyteller" if I could get it from the library and the grumpy old pulp guy is going to send off some emails regarding time lines/aliases to other pulp guys and historians (his main genre is hero, not scifi) but I was wondering if you had the list of all aliases (even generally unknown) which could help find his works in pulps and slicks?

And I'm checking out the Parsons bio (just 'cause I'm interested).
  4. Re: The Search for Excalibur

Yeah, Gerry, alias's would also be helpful. We're seeing a trend here. Not only did LRH go by a bunch of pen names... his books also did.

And I think we're all in agreement on the psychopathy. Mad men don't do this... those suffering from symptoms pointing to psychopathy do.

Also, How many parts are their of "admissions"? We have I and II now... does that mean there's an III? and the more I think on it...if there are more parts of "Admissions" is it in fact the same document as Dark Sword, Excalibur, etc.

The most fascinating part about all this: What are all the common themes at the roots of Scientology and LRH's personality? Psychopathy, masks, self loathing, super egos, rationalizing the human condition, drugs, sex, booze, control over the masses. The world looks strange when you're looking in the mirror. Makes me question what I'd do in his shoes. Or, what he'd think if he saw what Scientology has become today? A bunch of sniveling, self help schumcks who prescribe to his word as law. When he obviously knew on some level he didn't have all the answers. or any answers. So he just lied all the time.

What makes this all the more retarded is they take all his writing from a litteral standpoint. Word for word. Isn't the study of literature meant to be a subjective study. When you're in college you don't just study authors writing, you study why the author wrote it, what was his character and how it related to him.

Clever traps set by an unclever man who needed to tell himself he was awesome every morning when he woke up instead of just being awesome. Pathetic.
  5. Re: The Search for Excalibur

LOL, from course II

6. number 6 Member

The admissions document is really interesting. Makes a good subject for my next article for Glosslip.
  7. Re: The Search for Excalibur

I agree with Goldenrodanon. At a couple of big Scientology events, they said that there was only ONE copy of Excalibur, and it was stolen from LRH's hotel room. It was supposed to be like a summary of Scientology, with very advanced spiritual concepts, waaaay before LRH discovered Scientology. It was stolen by some Russian spies, or German mafia, or something like that. I remember thinking, "oh damn, too bad there wasn't a second copy. Too bad someone didn't prevent it from getting stolen. I wonder what ever happened to it. I wish I could read it."

It would be interesting if David Miscavige somehow found that ONE copy, in some Russian spy storage from the 1930's, and somehow it was salvaged just moments before it was destroyed forever, and now it's released at some big event for all Scientologists to pay for. Could make him some nice money.

I'm half joking about that ONE copy, because I know how Scn Management lies about everything. It sound like (from other posts) that there was more than one copy, and it wasn't stolen, it wasn't a condensed & advanced version of Scientology, and it wasn't all that interesting or mysterious.

FFL
  8. Re: The Search for Excalibur

Well.. it's a bit obvious there was three copies... all incomplete. in circulation. And based on what people have said that actually read the document there wasn't anything amazing in the document other then LRH explaining the obvious (that the Study of Dianetics was just a way to control the weak), and interesting look into his personal life and talking himself up. The rest was just a "clever way" to sell materials... which is chinese for everyone though his first book on the study of the mind was stupid (seeing as he wrote it drunk and high as shit, go figure) and didn't want to publish it... Which made him very depressed.

Don't make this document into something it isn't. Excalibur looks to be nothing amazing. Just the answers we seek. (or lack of any answers) The source.
  9. Re: The Search for Excalibur

I was just getting ready to post that. Look at course one..

I JUST THOUGHT OF A GOOD IDEA. Didn't a couple of articles say that Hubbard had a few books printed for people who wanted Excalibur? LET'S FIND THE COMPANY THAT PRINTED THEM, GODS DAMNIT. WE MAY BE ABLE TO FIND THE BUYERS.
  10. Re: The Search for Excalibur

Agreed. I'll do it when I'm sober.
  11. Re: The Search for Excalibur

Preliminary search puts him in Bremerton, Washington. A few years before that he lived in LA, so he may have went there to see a contact or two to have it printed. The chit-chat in this section makes me want to mutilate people.
  12. noclamsonme Member

You'll learn that all of Hubbard's protagonists are thinly disguised masks for himself, that they are reflections of his enormous ego, that he was incapable of subtlety as a writer. Johnny Goodboy Tyler was him, Jettero Heller was so completely him that he was even one of the three flying racecar drivers from one of Hubbard's Whole Track stories. The Lieutenant in Final Blackout was every inch a fantasy version of Hubbard's Naval career, being replaced by a dozen officers of the line, etc. Pretty much every story of his I've ever read was just a vehicle for inflating his self-image at the expense of every other character in the book as well as insulting his reader's intelligence, openly daring them not to see what's in plain sight. It really gets boring & repetitive after a while.
  13. finnonanon Member

Since there are a limited number of people that have ever seen this particular book, I figured I should tell you what I know of it, for I happen to be one of them.

I had one opportunity to see the book, but as I had limited time I didn't read it in full. Nevertheless, I looked through the entire book, all three versions of the manuscript, and did read sections of it knowing this was going to be a once-in-a-lifetime chance.

The content of the book is accurately relayed by Arthur J Burks, Gerry Armstrong and Robert Vaughn Young, as per the links given earlier in this thread.

There are no big revelations in the book for anyone who has read Dianetics or later works on the subject, but it is written with a more, should I say, pompous style. In other words, Hubbard was convinced that he had just learned the secrets of the universe and that it gave him the keys to all of existence, the way to achieve any goal, improve any aspect of life, master any subject, be the king of all existence. He suddenly knew everything. He firmly believed that with this "knowledge" one could rule the world, align all data and advance every subject and science.

I personally believe this book is crucial in understanding how Dianetics and Scientology came about. This was the breakthrough. This was the original work.

Perhaps the most interesting part of the book is the introduction which is not written by Hubbard but by one of his sci-fi author friends. It describes the nitrous oxide dental operation that Hubbard underwent, his near-death experience and his successful return from with with his memory intact and the secrets of the universe laid bare in front of his very eyes.

In my opinion this drug experience was THE experience that shaped Hubbards life and made him find his purpose (from his personal point of view) in life. It made him "the chosen one," so to speak.

The book goes through the various theories of Dianetics, but unlike the 1950 book Dianetics, doesn't include any therapy or means for anyone else to achieve or put into use the "knowledge" imparted. It was, as I said, a pompous statement that "with this knowledge everything you have ever dreamed of can now be yours."

The passage "The One Word" (that was linked to from one of the posts) is indeed the first chapter of the book. That chapter has actually been published in one of the church "Ron magazine" PR publication series.

Moreover, as someone mentioned, the current Official CoS LRH Biographer is Danny Sherman, who has access to the Excalibur manuscript. In fact, Danny gave an event speech to Scientology publics, telling (his own version) of the story of LRH's dental operation experience. This event video may be available (???) although I have not seen it as yet.

As to other copies of the manuscript, unfortunately I don't know of any outside-the-Church copies. There are two copies I know exist for certain: One in the LRH Biographer files, one in the LRH House (Bonnie View). Both of them are on the Int Base, so you won't be able to get a hold of them.

Another place equally difficult to get to which more than likely has a copy is CST who is supposed to have the original of every single thing LRH has ever written (In some cases the only "original" they have is a copy already, but the most original version of any LRH writing goes to CST). So at least three copies of this manuscript exist.

As to the remark that there are three versions of the manuscript, this is also accurate -- even if you discount the non-LRH Excalibur Revisited -- but the only difference between the three as far as I could tell was the sequence and completeness or lack thereof of the three versions.

I would recognize and could authenticate the manuscript if you got hold of one. One thing that no one has mentioned is that there were a number of diagrams in the book, hand drawn by Hubbard. One of them was a copy of a diagram from a book by another author, which showed a conic representation of the history of evolution of life. As I recall, at the top of the cone was "the past" with a single living cell (unless it started all the way from the big bang, but I don't think so). More and more developed organisms were drawn in that developed through time. At the base of the cone was "present," with man and animals as they exist today.

There were several other diagrams in the manuscript.

The prospects of the Church publishing the book: David Miscavige has said he COULD publish the book without any great problem, that there isn't something extraordinary in it that would be totally new and strange to anyone who has read Dianetics. But he is not planning to do so. There are a couple of reasons for this:

Firstly, as has been said, the best reason is that it has more value as a "myth" than a published book.

Secondly, there are all the lies that have been told about it (it was stolen, lost, reading it will drive you crazy, and so on).

The third, and probably most important factor is that the sequence of the manuscript is not clear from any of the three copies and there are things that would certainly have to be edited out "for PR purposes." At least for the Scientology public. For instance, Hubbard was talking about women and sex much more freely. It was nothing shocking, but would reveal some of his attitudes about women and sex that would hardly be suitable for church publics.

As to getting a hold of a copy of the manuscript, unless someone can convert Danny Sherman from a true believer into a disbeliever and walk out with a copy of the manuscript, your best bet is to try and trace where those few copies went that did make it to the handful of original readers who supposedly went crazy. For while the LRH Personal PR Office and CST have done all in their power to find any and all LRH originals, correspondence and every piece of scrap paper or napkin LRH ever put a pen down on, I am certain that if anyone ever had a copy of Excalibur and the Church came to retrieve it, they would either say they didn't have it, or make a copy of it for themselves before turning it in.

So you might be able to find it. I say there is a small-to-fair chance, although it won't be easy.
  14. Re: The Search for Excalibur

Awesome. So, does anyone have a full list of people that have been known to have read the book?

Agreed, it's the source. As trivial as it is in comparison to craptastic "Dianetics" it seems to show a much more conflicted LRH. Fighting his own demons.

Does anyone know who this author is? Or was it even a real person or an LRH alias?

The One Word is "Bank" correct? Or "Survival"?

Interesting, anyone have that video?

Biography flies? can you explain what this is? Is this the underground bunker with titanium plates or an actual database?

Does anyone have direct contact with anyone in CST? If so can you ask them about this document?

Does anyone recall any of the other diagrams?

Agreed.

Why would we need to convert him? Why not empower him? This is the source of his belief system. Why on earth would he want to prevent that from reaching the ears of the world?

Still hunting.
  15. Spork Member

Ok, now I'm starting see why there's been an interest expressed in Excalibur far above the science fiction such as Battlefield Earth. Excalibur is a kind of proto-DMSMH?
  16. finnonanon Member

I don't.
    In a way. Although I believe this was the very best experience of his life that he was ever after trying to regain.
    It was a real author and signed by him. I don't remember for sure but two names that come to mind are A. E. Van Vogt and J. W. Campbell. Might or might not have been either one of them, but someone similar. It was distinctly different style from Hubbard's writings, so I'm sure it was not his manufacture. Influenced by him no doubt, but not written by him.
    "Survive!" (The one command in Dianetics)
    It is a row of lockable filing cabinets with papers in folders, in an office on the Int Base.
    Uhm -- CST is one of the top orgs in Scientology; the one that actually owns the trademarks (instead of RTC). You might as well call DM and ask if you can have his copy...
    Okay, I remember another one. There is a drawing with a comet flying through space with a door-like opening to the right. There is a handwritten note under the drawing "will the comet make it through the door?" As to what the hell it is supposed to mean, I guess you'll have to get yourself knocked out with nitrous oxide to find out. Perhaps that was his vision of how to get out of this universe? Who knows.
    He might not personally want to prevent it, but he is directly answerable to DM, and as long as that is the case, there is no chance in hell he is going to be able to publish anything even remotely critical of Hubbard. Danny is, by the way, the person who writes most of the Scientology Event speeches, in case you are not familiar with this person. He's in, good and deep.
  17. Re: The Search for Excalibur

Yes.
  18. anyjane Member

Some pen names that looked to be used for publishing (there are claims of possibly 16-24 or so in just the pulps but I can try to find out more about that at the library and/or collectors).

Rene Lafayette
    Frederick Engelhardt
    Thomas/Tom Esterbrook
    Kurt von Rachen
    Captain B.A. Northrup
    Winchester Remington Colt
    Legionnaire Longworth/"Legionnaire I48"
    Ken Martin
    Lt. Jonathan Daly
    Damon Clowne

Text: "Brain-washing a synthesis of the Russian textbook on psychopolitics" 68 pages, 1959 or later
    revised Ed. Published by American Public Relations Forum (a.k.a. "The Brainwashing Manual")

Charles Stickley?
    Laventri Beria? <--- real person but the writing is clamed to be a Hubbard forgery.

Precursor to above book: (1946) "Hypnosis for Sabotage" using the pen name "Damon Clowne"

"Daman Clowne" Letter to the Editor of Rhodomagnetic Digest regarding the article, "Dianetics: Etc." in Rd, Nov.-Dec., '51
    http://www.bolerium.com/DCP1206.htm

Other Aliases:

James Olsen (FTA "Ron kidnaps his daughter under an alias, Feb 1951", spaink.net)

Sources:

Ron kidnaps his daughter under an alias, Feb 1951

L. Ron Hubbard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    L. Ron Hubbard

literary.lronhubbard.org/page08.htm

Science Fiction and Fantasy Reading Experience: L. Ron Hubbard
    Brain-washing a synthesis of the Russian textbook on psychopolitics, including an address by Beria, formerly head of the Russian secret police. Revised edition with foreword added. [Hubbard, L. Ron] American Public Relations Forum, Inc.: Bolerium
  19. Re: The Search for Excalibur

What about Jon Atack? Would he have an ideas on where copy of this book is?
  20. Re: The Search for Excalibur

Can someone verify that this is the preface to Excalibur?
  21. Re: The Search for Excalibur

Seems this has been in discussion for a while now hehe: Excalibur
  22. Re: The Search for Excalibur

What about Forrest Ackerman. Does anyone know where he is? He had a copy at one point.

40ies, earlier

If there are any freezoners out there following this. What documents were hosted at: Documents: http://www.xs4all.nl/~kspaink/LRH-bio/lrhpaper.html

Site is down but it states these documents were the roots of Scientology.
  23. Re: The Search for Excalibur

Can someone explain why the revise version used by FreeZone used to have the subtitle: "THE AKASHIC BOOK OF TRUTH"

Akashic records - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

as it relates to the term Deus Ex Machina, the god machine?
  24. Re: The Search for Excalibur

Getting a bit tired of Search tonight so I'll just dump some info for folks to chew over.

Excalibur, why was it one of the possible titles of this document? Other then being a slick name?

1. It relates to the story of King Arthur, Merlin and mysticism. The Story of the sword traditionally revolved around the idea that the sword was "double edged". With great power comes great ignorance. The good with the bad. The evil with the virtuous.

EDIT: finnonanon, The reason an image of "the comet" was inside of the book was to describe an analogy of Merlin looking up into the sky and seeing "the comet". LRH was describing himself as Merlin.

2. It relates to Archangel Gabriel, the angel of death, one God's messenger. Judge and jury upon humanity. (which was the basis for the celtic myths of King Arthur and Excalibur, as some myths point to Excalibur being Archangel Gabriel's sword originally.)

LRH was relating himself to Gabriel as a messenger from god. With the knowledge of the gods as delivered to him while dead.

3. It relates to the cross used by Scientology. I think the cross can find it's roots in this doctrine. Golden Dawn symbolism, the dynamics. As does the OT symbol. Both are related to Egyptian symbolism and occult adaptations... My mind is spinning to hard to recall exactly where I read it but this is all associated with T bars used in egypt to open water pathways on the nile river, scarabs and the spinning flow of water or something and their worship of the sun. The beam of flaming light, which was later adapted by the jewish tribes to describe Yahweh, the flaming tornado god, who then eventually became the "God" which a majority of christians worship today.

4. All this leads up to what all this symbolism means: We've got a double edged sword (a concept that is both good and evil), LRH as Merlin, the word of god, flaming light tornados, which all equate to = implied spiritual truths, passed on knowledge, immortality, super ego (To hard to explain, just go research everything if you don't get it)

5. It relates to the Deus Ex Machina, Akashic belief, neo gnostic empowerment, the god machine. Knowledge based belief.

All account point to Excalibur being flawed. It explained a concept, an idea, but had no real practical means to apply this "idea" to your life. So, if said "ideas" weren't "workable" to use a Scilon term... theoretically wouldn't this mean that LRH didn't obtain everything he needed on "the other side" when he apparently died to make "Scientology" work???

Wouldn't this mean that the development of Dianetics and the tech was based on a incomplete picture and fabrications by LRH?

Stick with me here:

Go down this rabbit hole with me. By his own admissions, he didn't create Dianetics. He obtained secret knowledge when he was dead by means of some type of spiritual force. LRH's "truths" didn't work when he finally put them into action in 1930's. By his own admission, they were incomplete. He never finished them... he never got the whole picture, so he attempted to flesh out the rest by applying self hypnosis techniques and crowd control social engineering based on the writings of other authors.

If Dianetics is a spiritual knowledge based belief system with the goal of interpretation "endowed" spiritual wisdom... from some other "force." Wouldn't this negate the entire point of it? Wouldn't this prove from an intellectual level that Dianetics... even failed it's author?
  25. realitybites Member

I believe Forrest Ackerman recently passed away.
  26. Re: The Search for Excalibur

The term is supposed to imply that the book has "all knowledge and all truth." The mythical Akashic Records is supposed to have all knowledge, past, present, and future.
  27. finnonanon Member

Similar story, but not the preface to the book. The preface wasn't written in the first person, it was written about Hubbard, in the third person.

Which reminded me of another thing. I read in some of Hubbard's notes regarding the book that he had struggled with the introduction to the book and had it rewritten several times. It was supposedly what was holding up the publication at one time (in 1938). So there may be several attempts at it, some by Hubbard himself.

The above, however, wasn't the one that was in the manuscript.

And as to the sequence of the manuscript, there is another piece of information worth notice. The version of the book that is in the LRH House (I haven't seen it but heard it was there) is apparently a bound copy, as one of the uses of the house is a sort of a museum of LRH artifacts. (Not a museum anyone can visit -- except perhaps the Tom Cruises of the world -- but nevertheless a collection of the most cherished LRH artifacts.) The point being, that would hardly be possible unless someone had actually sorted out or decided on the sequence of chapters. Which makes the book in that place the most accurate replica of what the Excalibur would be if published.

One more possibility: Perhaps there is both a preface and an introduction in the book? I don't recall such, but it is possible.
  28. madsuibhne Member

Looks like he's still alive, even has a Myspace account.
  29. realitybites Member

eh! I suck cocks then. I thought he passed away this year. Must have been some other Hollywood horror/fantasy fanatic.
  30. Jeff Jacobsen Member

Virgil Wilhite of Wilhite Collectibles claims to have read Excalibur. Wilhite Collectibles used to be right in downtown Clearwater but have since moved to I don't know where. He specializes in Hubbard stuff. I was in his store in about 1991 and it was quite a collection. There were sci-fi books that appeared to me to be ripoffs of Hubbard's sci-fi, but now thinking back if might have been the other way around.
  31. Re: The Search for Excalibur

Wha6 about this guy?
  32. goldenrodanon Member

Excalibur Revisited has nothing to do with the Book by LRH. It's a re-write of the entire technology of Scientology, with corrections and additions by the author, Geoffrey Filbert.

As I understand it, Geoffrey's reason for that name was because he assumed, given an credence to LRH's dying on the table and receiving an epiphany story, that LRH must have visited the Akashic Record and caught a glimpse of the tech which became Scientology while there.

Geoffrey claims also to have visited the Hall of Records and read the tech there, except that he claims to have duplicated it better.

So if original Excalibur was LRH's reading of Scilon tech from the Akashic Record, then Excalibur was Filberts reading of the tech from the same Akashic Record, hence Excalibur Revisited.

The two versions of Excalibur have nothing to do with each other, other than the above.

And this doesn't mean there is actually anything to either story. It's just why the names were chosen. The use of Excalibur probably comes from the Legend of King arthur, who was given a great other worldly gift....
  33. Re: The Search for Excalibur

Hehehe
  34. Re: The Search for Excalibur

Yes, we've discussed this earlier in the thread.

Fascinating, so the "spiritual realm" described in admissions is Akashic record? LRH supposedly died and apparently believed he met Deus Ex Machina?

Yes, we cleared this up earlier.

It's not about the contents. It's understanding why LRH wrote it and what was flawed about it. What insight does it give on his initial dive into explaining the human condition.

golden.... could you possibly read through the whole thread and provide us with some feedback? You're FZ correct?
  35. goldenrodanon Member

I've read the thread as it unfolded. I piped in when I had something to add. I don't know what else I can add to it, except to ask you to consider what you hope to gain with this. The reason I ask that, is because almost no Scientologists have read Excalibur. The LRH book isn't available. The Captain bill OT level would be illegal for a CoS member to look at, and the same for the Geoff Filbert Ebook.

Even if you got a hold of a copy, It seems clear that your intended audience would find it impossible to believe that you could have Info from LRH that they've never seen. They'd think it was made up, just like any Cos rats deny there is any such character as Xenu if they haven't done OT 3 yet.

If you did get hold of a copy of excalibur, it would be quite a coup, especially if it found it's way onto wiki leaks or something.

I'm not FZ, but I do support their right to exist and do what they do. I saw them described as a "half way house" between CoS and Real life, and I believe they have a niche there. serve a worthwhile purpose, because anyone coming out of the CoS without some way to ease back into a normal life is in for a tough time.
  36. Re: The Search for Excalibur

That's the point.

I want this: 1) personal curiosity 2) If anyone ever curious about Scientology and googles it... I'd love this document to be the first one they read. Might make them think twice about joining.

Plus, I disagree with you on Scientologist's not being curious about the document. I have a gentleman that is apart of my local org that is very interested in it... collects old LRH originals... in fact, he's attempting to help me find it.

Not every Scilon is pleased they're having information withheld from them. Especial materials that even LRH himself said didn't need any training to understand.
  37. noclamsonme Member

The name "Excalibur" was offered by one of Hubbard's early followers who thought it sounded clever & Hubbard agreed, so it stuck. The rest is chasing static. You're creating signal from noise, finding meaning where there is none. I'm all for understanding how Hubbard & his followers think in order to find better ways of stopping the cult from hurting people, but this is just mental masturbation.
  38. Re: The Search for Excalibur

I disagree. Who was the follower and why did he recommend the name? Proof or STFU.

My personal belief is that LRH wasn't stupid, or a madman. he was just a depressed manipulative psychopath with degrading mental problems, an itch to make a mark on history and an ego the size of Texas.

The book is called Excalibur and it references the line "I hope that comet can fit through that door". With an image of a comet drawn by him. In the story of King Aurther a comet personifies Uthers reign.

A comet passes over the skies and Uther summons Merlin to foretell the meaning of the comet. Merlin tells Uther of Aurelius' death and foretells that Uther will reign as King of Britain. If I recall there's a line within one for the version of the story where Merlin looks up sees the comet through a hole in the clouds.

The comet signifies "The once and future king", "The coming of the king."

Is it unrealistic to think a Scifi writer knew the symbolism behind calling his work "Excalibur"?