Customize

The Hazards of Nerd Supremacy: The Case of WikiLeaks

Discussion in 'Wikileaks' started by Anonymous, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

2. xenubarb Member

Re: The Hazards of Nerd Supremacy: The Case of WikiLeaks

What?
    WHAT?
    What fucking orifice did this writer pull THAT from? Does DOX OR GTFO mean nothing?

that is the stupidest fucking shit I have read today.
  3. Anonymous Member

Why?
    Information has to be structured, evaluated, put into context and put into a digestable format before it can become knowledge and then "truth".
    But of course this cannot be a valid argument against wikileaks, because wikileaks is only the provider of the raw data. Someone has to provide the raw data after all.
    It is the job of the media and ourselves to structure the raw data and make it into actual knowledge and the media is doing a bad job at it imho.
  4. xenubarb Member

This writer seems to be saying information is like spaghetti pasta. Throw it on the web and see what sticks.

There are a lot of different types of "information," but piling it all up doesn't make it truth.
  5. Perikles Member

Moar of this plz.
  6. another123 Member

ya, good luck on that venture. be sure and drop us a note when you've finished fixing it. lol.
  7. Anonymous Member

tl;dr:

WAH I USED TO BE AN INTERNET TOUGH GUY BUT THEN I SOLD OUT AND NOW I DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT THE IDEALS I BELIEVED IN AND ABANDONED IN MY YOUTH HAVE MATURED INTO A VIABLE WORLDVIEW EMBRACED BY YOUNGER GENERATIONS! RATHER THAN ADMIT I MAY HAVE MADE A CYNICAL MISTAKE IN TURNING MY BACK ON THESE IDEALS, I WILL ATTACK THEM WITH SO MANY WORDS THAT MOST PEOPLE WON'T EVEN FINISH MY ARTICLE, AND THEN I WILL DISABLE COMMENTING SO NO DISSENTING OPINIONS ARE DISPLAYED IN THE SAME SPACE!
  8. Clever Name Member

reference may enable more informed mockery:
    Jaron Lanier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  9. grebe Member

The Atlantic has been taken over by post-modernists heavy on words and light on facts. They have published some stinkers the past couple of years, including an anti-vaccination propaganda piece just before the flu season last fall.

Also Vanity Fair.

Also New Yorker.

Also cocks.

We just have to wait out this crowd of aging baby boomers. Hopefully they'll fully embrace alt med and die soon.

Added: Heh. Mr. Lanier looks like an extra from Battlefield Earth sucking a bag of dicks.
    Jaron_lanier.JPG
  10. Anonymous Member

This writer also seems to think that governments shouldn't be held responsible for illegal actions. I can see his points, but it doesn't take into account that these people's lives wouldn't have been put into danger in the first place if the US hadn't decided to wage an illegal war. It seems like they're saying that since governments are so big and affect so many people they shouldn't have to suffer the consequences of their actions. In reality though if the government doesn't want to be embarressed by leaks then they should ensure they're conducting themselves in a manor that won't cause embarressment.
  11. Anonymous Member

You are aware that there are baby boomers who are active members of this very form, right? Gotta watch that stereotyping there young man!

Now GTFO my yard!
  12. grebe Member

trollfaced.jpg
  13. Rockyj Member

Not all people classified as Baby Boomers think that way! I am a Joneser dam it!

The Latest with Generation Jones
  14. Anonymous Member

Self described futurist and inventor of "Virtual Reality" (a solution desperately seeking a problem to solve).
    In a theatre full of people, I had to watch this ass ponce about on stage wearing a data glove which he used to play a virtual instrument, he called it the "Music of One Hand".
    I knew then what he used his one hand for and it doesn't look like things have changed.
    Jaron Lanier: Why people should pay more attention to me and not Web 2.0 | NewsTechnica
  15. Anonymous Member

Naw, I don't feel the need to wade through more of this guys self-important crap.
  16. Anonymous Member

i might just have to fap to this thread.

LMAO

one handed skin flute player.
  17. xenubarb Member

O gawd, a freakin hippie PLAYING PAN PIPES

I feel so homicidal nao...
  18. Anonymous Member

He is just pissed off since he used to be top dog, and people used to accept his word. Now it is dox or GTFO (on Wikipedia too), and that doens't seem to suit him.
  19. Anonymous Member

20. Anonymous Member

21. Rockyj Member

Excellent article, should be circulated!
  22. Anonymous Member

I suspect that he might have selffagged his Wiki page. The cites are awful.
  23. Re: The Hazards of Nerd Supremacy: The Case of WikiLeaks

The last time I read or heard that many empty platitudes, Sarah Palin had her lips around John McCain's wrinkly old dick.
  24. Anonymous Member

Who is to say if wikileaks won't have or doesn't already have a constructive effect on societies? Isn't at least some of the secrecy uncalled for and has destructive effects on democracies and their ability to function due to deception and lack of knowledge? And isn't wikileaks destructive towards these destructive effects as well?

True and important. Where's the accountability in these cases?

That's a simplification. If citizens have a clearer view of what's going on in the world they can't be deceived as easily anymore and can make better decisions. An informed consumer is a better consumer and an informed citizen is a better citizen. This doesn't absolve the citizens of their responsibilities in judging that information, but it certainly improves the quality of the decision making process which is important especially if democracies are supposed to be working properly.

That depends on what you mean by "do as I want". If this is only limited to "don't kill me" or similar requests I have a hard time judging this as blackmail. It rather appears to be a protective measure. If Assange were to use this if he were convicted after a fair trial in Sweden or if he threatened this, I might agree with Lanier there or could at least see his point.

What if they aren't properly held accountable or the democratic process isn't reasonable functional? What about leaks of clearly illegal stuff that not only shouldn't have been classified, but should never have occured in the first place?

Yes.

Perhaps, but put like this that statement is too much of a generalization.

Access to raw information is a necessity too. Not to any and all information, agreed, but raw information without context is important, so people can come up with their own contexts and don't depend on other sources to give them the context those sources choose.

If that is true it means that the civilian life owes its existence to the mercy of the military, commercial and diplomatic spheres as they supposedly have priority over the civilian life. At least in theory, in democracies these spheres are supposed to spring from civilian life and to ultimately serve it, making civilian life the more indespensible sphere. Labier has it backwards. If these spheres actually tried to turn western societies into 'North Korea' all kind of horrible things could possibly happen as a result, but an ultimate success of that attempt wouldn't be among them.

If you give more than 800,000 people access to a group of documents what do you expect to happen?
  25. Anonymous Member

Great, how am I going to get that mental picture out of my head.
  26. Anonymous Member

that's the point ;-)
  27. Re: The Hazards of Nerd Supremacy: The Case of WikiLeaks

I live to serve. :)

As for the various criticisms of WikiLeaks, ask the good people of Iceland how they feel about discovering the causes of their bank collapse. Ask the good people of Kenya how they feel about the various abuses there coming to light. Both nations are stronger for these problems coming to light, so the people are informed enough to demand better from those who represent and lead them, and when needed, kick the bums out of office. From these and the most recent leaks, I consider Julian Assange one of the most effective humanitarians alive today, even if he is an asshole. Were he an American, I would consider him a patriot, because he certainly is putting our government to work for the greater good.
  28. Anonymous Member

hate to overuse a meme, but ^this
  29. Orson Member

I read the whole thing and can't help but come away with the feeling that the author simply wrote this unnecessarily long article to absolve his own guilt for not "getting in on the action" now that he's sold out.

But that's just my opinion.
  30. RocketQueen Member

lanier is an idiot, had to read his piece of shit book 'you are not a gadget' for college.
  31. Ann O'Nymous Member

Both pieces are interesting reading, but the second one is more to the point on many aspects (and in fewer words).
  32. Anonymous Member

I think that Jaron would be a really cool guy to hang out with, whether or not i absolutely agree with everything or anything he says.
  33. Anonymous Member

first: written by a would-be revolutionary who missed the boat, hurt his butt and now pens angry words about counter-revolution.

second: written by a successful revolutionary, who got left behind when teh revolution ended up spiraling off in directions he had not anticipated. he writes thoughtful missives such as this one, and angry diatribes about how his former minions need to get back on the original plan. (sigh. lol :(

Lanier's great insight: that the Internet is a strange and wonderful thing that will change our lives + nobody really understands it + everyone should.

RMS's insight: freedom is in danger. the values and beliefs of the olde programmers of yore aren't reflected in the way software is developed and used today. + we, the developers, should do something about it + we should do this.
  34. Anonymous Member

Nah. Maybe when he was fresh pretentious git, but now he's an aging pretentious git. I haven't been able to find any contemporary references that he invented or even coined the term Virtual Reality except in his own bio.

business_idea.png
    xkcd: Business Idea

The mid 80s time-frame is way too late, the train had already left the station.
    True Names - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    True Names - the novel by Vernor Vinge (But hunt down and buy a hard copy.)
  35. Clever Name Member

36. Ann O'Nymous Member

37. Random guy Member

Very good article, and good to see lanier get som back.
  38. Re: The Hazards of Nerd Supremacy: The Case of WikiLeaks

Excellent article. It makes one wonder how people like Michael Moore would be heard if he didn't have the funding, and it makes me worry what will happen if he does not have a worthy successor.
  39. Anonymous Member

1980: Vinge had been teaching Computer Science for 10 years and
    had done sufficient research on the subject that he felt competent to
    try his hand writing crazy speculative crap.

1980: Lanier moved out of his parent's [strike]basement[/strike] geodesic dome, where he had spent the previous 10 years [strike]blowing[/strike] milking goats, and attending community college.

^^ sound familiar?

promotional websights:

vinge http://vrinimi.org/
    lanier Jaron Lanier's Homepage