Customize

The Green Brief #60 (August 20 - Mordad 29)

Discussion in 'Green Brief' started by NiteOwl, Aug 21, 2009.

1. NiteOwl Member

I'm NiteOwl AKA Josh Shahryar - twitter.com/iran_translator on twitter. I'm a journalist and a human rights activist and NOT Iranian. This is a compilation of news from Iran that I've gathered through twitter and Iranian sites that were advertised on twitter. Remember, this is all from tweets. (My work is released under Creative Commons (CC).)

These are the important happenings that I can positively confirm from Thursday, August 20 - Mordad 29.

In German: http://tinyurl.com/nhzc3a

In Italian: http://tinyurl.com/nrz6av

Protests / Unrest

1. Reports indicate that on Thursday night, dozens of youngsters gathered on streets in the Apadana district of Tehran and chanted against the government and Ahmadinejad. The timing coincided with Ahmadinejad’s speech and his introduction of the new cabinet. Protesters chanted “Death to Dictator”, “Our pain is your pain; join us!” and sang Yaare Dabestani – a patriotic song. Apadana district is where deceased protester Sohrab A’rabi lived.

2. Thursday also coincided with the 40th day of his murder and his family held a short ceremony at Beheshte Zahra. The family later released a statement saying that they didn’t want to create unrest, thus, they didn’t invite people to join them in the ceremony.

3. Reports indicate that factions within Qom, who are displeased with Grand Ayatollah Sane’ie’s support for the reformists, are planning on holding a protest to denounce him. Leaflets have been distributed across the city for this purpose. There is also word that supporters of Sane’ie will be gathering in front of his office to counter the protest. No word of when the protests will be held has reached out yet.

4. Sane’ie in the meantime, has asked people not to gather in his support, saying that this would give a tool to those who wanted to create tensions.

5. Reports have also surfaced that people all around Iran chanted against Ahmadinejad and the government during his speech last night. According to confirmed sources, chants were heard throughout Tehran. In several parts of Tehran, people gathered on streets and chanted. People in their cars and motorbikes honked their horns in support.

6. There are reports of chanting from other cities in Iran as well; indicating the Sea of Green is very active in many places throughout Iran. Cities include Isfahan, Shiraz, Ahvaz, Abadan, Kermanshah and Qazvin.

7. Unconfirmed reports indicate that the government is still reviewing whether it should close universities for a semester for fear of student protests. It had earlier been dismissed by the government that such a plan was being considered.

8. Mohammad Araghi – the commander of IRG in Tehran – has alleged that over 300,000 people had formed a clandestine organization called “Vote Organization” or “Sazemane Rai” that had orchestrated that mass protests after the elections. He added the organization had been formed before the elections.

9. Confirmed reports indicate the police violating people’s right to privacy in Iran. According to these reports, the police are frequently entering homes forcibly and break down the doors if no one opens the door to them. Most of the time, these operations take place without any warrants – a clear violation of the Iranian constitution.

A picture of police climbing over a door: http://www.mowjcamp.com/files/file/19809

Note the green graffiti on the wall that says, “Marg Bar Khamenei” (Death to Khamenei)

Opposition

10. Fatemeh Rake’ie, the Secretary-General of the Innovative Muslim Women’s Society, today said that Mir Hossein Mousavi’s new movement was a representation of Imam Khomeini’s ideals. Rake’ie, a former MP, said Mousavi was expected by Iranians to lead the reformists and those in search of change.

11. 72 alumni and current university students have sent a letter to the members of the Assembly of Experts calling for the removal of Khamanei.

Government / International

12. Ali Larejani – the speaker of the Iranian Parliament – today said the parliament was ready to receive Mehdi Karroubi’s complaints and evidence. Larejani added that they would hear Karroubi’s words and would contact the victims through their phone numbers and addresses, after they’ve been given to them by Karroubi. He further said that they had no desire to keep secrets from the people and this would be done efficiently and transparently.

13. Mahmood Ahmadinejad today in his speech said that the Ministry of Intelligence had not done its duty, thus, the unrest took place. He didn’t blame Mohseni Ejaie – the former Intelligence Minister – personally. He also added that change was needed in the ministry. He added that “God willing we will get to a 70-million strong intelligence system.” (Gestapo anyone?)

In another part of his televised speech, Ahmadinejad criticized deputy speaker of parliament Bahonar for saying that five of his ministers would possibly be rejected by the parliament and said that it was not a good thing for the country.

Ahmadinejad during his speech said that he really liked the husband of Marzieh Dastjardi – the proposed Minister of Health – and sometimes thought he was like a peach and felt like eating him:

Link to video (Farsi):

14. Confirmed reports indicate that Tehran’s Attorney General Saeed Mortazavi – another government official thought to be responsible for the suppression of protesters, arrests and tortures – will be replaced by Morteza Bakhtiari – a former head of Iran’s Prisons Department.
  2. NiteOwl Member

15. Reports have emerged that Ahmadinejad’s pick for Defense Minister Ahmad Vahidi, is wanted by the Interpol. He was listed in an international arrest warrant issued by an Argentine judge on November 9, 2006 for being a suspected participant in the Argentine-Jewish Mutual Association bomb attack in Buenos Aires in 1994. Vahidi is also considered by many to be the founder of IRG’s Lebanon Corps.

Link to Vahidi’s wanted page on Interpol’s website: http://tinyurl.com/nzj44f

16. Kazem Seddiqi will now be appointed to the list of clerics leading Friday prayers; while this week’s prayers will be lead by Ahmad Jannati – reports indicate.

17. Conservative MP Hamid Rasa has published an OP-ED severely criticizing Ayatollah Sane’ie’s speech in Gorgan, calling him the Imam of Zarar Mosque – a prayer center established by enemies of Mohammed who claimed to be Muslims which was later destroyed by Mohammed’s decree.

18. Reports indicate that Hamid Reza Foladgar – a member of the Article 10 Commission on Political Parties – has said that any political party joining the Green Path of Hope would lose its permit to operate.

19. The Supreme Audit Court of Iran has convicted Esfandyar Rahim-Mashaei, of a series of financial charges. He was sentenced to two months suspension from his government post, the Jomhuriye Eslami daily reported on Thursday. The paper did not give further detail on the nature of the charges, but said they were in connection with the period that Rahim-Mashaei served as the head of Iran's Cultural Heritage, Handcrafts and Tourism Organization.

20. Kerman Friday prayers Imam Hojjatoleslam Seyyed Yahya Jafari, has also said that Mehdi Karroubi should get 80 lashes for raising the issue of rape. He criticized Karroubi for not sending the letter to then head of Judiciary Hashemi Shahroudi instead of Rafsanjani.

Arrested / Released / Killed / Torture

21. Short report by Mehdi Saharkhiz on what happened to one of the victims of violence during peaceful protests: http://onlymehdi.tumblr.com/post/167723567

22. Journalist Emsael Azadi’s son Mohammad Azadi, was arrested last night in front of Etemaade Melli newspaper. Mohammad’s father spent several hours begging and going from one department to another to get his son’s insulin to him as he has diabetes. At one point, during his search to find his son’s whereabouts, he was told by security officials his son should die because he had written slogans against the government. He was finally able to get the insulin to him; but is still unable to locate where he is being kept.

23. Security forces broke into a Baha’i woman’s house on Wednesday, in the city of Sari, searched her house without a warrant and took her away using a search warrant that had been issued for a date three weeks ago. The 24 year’s whereabouts are unknown.

24. Mostafa Tajzadeh contacted his family today telling them he might remain imprisoned throughout Ramadan – the Islamic holy month of fasting which is starting on Saturday. Faizullah Arab-Sorkhi also called his family for the first time after 45 days of being in detention.
    (Correction: In the last Brief, we erroneously reported that Ramadan would be starting next week.)

25. The families of three Americans arrested in Iran, while on a hiking trip, have yet again pleaded with the Iranian government to free their loved ones. They asked the Iranian government to grant the three Americans consular access. They have also created a website and will update information about the detainees’ whereabouts:
    Link: http://www.freethehikers.org

Media

26. Reports from Tehran’s Islamic Court have emerged, that Keyhan has not been banned. Abolhasan Pour-Hosseini – an official from the court – told IRIB that no such order had been given. Earlier it had been reported, that a court in Iran, had banned Keyhan after complaints by Mousavi and the order had been referred to Attorney General Mortazavi for his approval.

International Protests / Events / Warnings / Efforts

27. A flash protest against Nokia, near Madison Square Garden in New York and another protest in front of Nokia’s flagship store in New York today.

Full report: http://tinyurl.com/lwy5pv

28. PLEASE READ THIS FOR YOUR SAFETY’S SAKE: Safeguard Your Personal Info and Your Finances! - Why We Protest - IRAN

29. For an unofficial list of upcoming protests in the US: Protesting for Iran until they don't have to

30. For a list of protests that are being planned in Germany, please visit this link: Julia's Blog: Protests and rallies in Germany (subject to change w/o notice) (Courtesy of @jkshalmani)

31. A to the point website for help traumatized Greens: Healing the Green Soul

(If you, your friends or your organization are holding events, protests or doing something else related to the Iranian election internationally, please send me an email with details and I will give you coverage. (Will only cost you 10 million dollars!) My email is: dbosca@gmail.com

[B]To Helpers[/B]

- Info on republishing the Green Brief: [url]http://tinyurl.com/mjxrz3[/url]

- Information on Tor: [url]http://torir.org[/url]

This page contains a listing of external mirrors of the GB, as well as various information about the GB. Links to translations are also encouraged: [url]http://aic.openmsl.net/wiki/index.php/Green_Brief[/url]

- (A list of all the Green Briefs): [url]http://ded1.hybrid-optix.com/greenbriefs.html[/url]

- A hearty thanks to S joon for helping me out with proof-reading and very valuable tips. Also, a BIG THANKS to all the translators who're spending their precious time on getting this to as many people as possible.
  3. Nedjarsan Member

Cheers Nite; that was a quick one.

May Your wings never hurt and Your talons besharp as usual
  4. 70 million?????

Thank you night owl for your post I always look forward to your info and the insight from your very valuable friends. I have followed from the start and I am in awe at your dilegence and hard work. I, like so many of your followers who have never responded owe a debt of gratitude to you all for keeping the phlight of those suffering alive.
    One quiery is the 70 million people cos the population is less??????
    Thank you again and I hope in the not too distant future you and all of the amazing followers can celebrate with our brothers and sisters.
  5. Paco Member

6. NiteOwl Member

Which Paco are you? Paco`Laptop or Paco`Server?
  7. osumom311 Member

Thanks NiteOwl for another informative Green Brief. Looking foward to reading your Afghanistan report as well!
  8. Great job, as always, NiteOwl!

This picture does not seem real to me. It looks as though it was modified in MS Paint.
  9. yeah. the graffiti looks kinda weird.
  10. AS always, we thank you. And Ditto to Nedjarsan's quote.

Funny had to type "pulga edifices", flea buildings, for image verification.
  11. SamSh Member

Thank you for your continued efforts.
  12. You got the wrong peach

Hi
    I'd like to point out that the guy Ahmadiejad described as a "peach he would like to eat" is not "husband of Marzieh Dastjardi – the proposed Minister of Health" as you wrote in the Green Brief and some people tweeted mistakenly. The guys Ahmadinejad called peach is Lankarani, the former minister of health, who is a pretty respected figure and Ahmadinejad felt that he needed to explain why he's removing him. He wanted to assure people that it is not because he doesn't like him.

The husband of Marzieh Dastjerdi is actually Hossein Shariatmadari, the editor of the ultra hardline newspaper Kayhan according to this piece:
    از هم پرونده پالیزدار تا همسر حسین شریعتم&#158
  13. that's amazing!
  14. thank you

just want to thank you, Night Owl !!! - uli
  15. sp4rrowh4wk Member

NiteOwl, your continuous efforts, your perseverance and dedication are heroic. thank you so much.
  16. HeartForIran Member

Thank you again for this Brief NiteOwl. So much terror and oppression still going on, but so many people still standing strong. I pray for Justice to come. Free Iran!
  17. I may be way off base but as much as homosexuals are not approved of in Muslim countrys I am supprised that they didn't grab him and lock him up for that statement about another man.
  18. NiteOwl Member

Thanks for pointing it out, IRE. Yes,

Probelm was they just didn't have the first part of the soundbyte there so I went with what was being tweeted and reported on some websites. Will post correction in the next brief.

:)
  19. halve 97

"22. Journalist Emsael Azadi’s son Mohammad Azadi, was arrested last night in front of Etemaade Melli newspaper. Mohammad’s father spent several hours begging and going from one department to another to get his son’s insulin to him as he has diabetes. At one point, during his search to find his son’s whereabouts, he was told by security officials his son should die because he had written slogans against the government. He was finally able to get the insulin to him; but is still unable to locate where he is being kept."

Oh, that is ridiculous! So he should die just because he doesn't like being oppressed? What the fuck...? I just cannot understand how people can live with themselves being so heartless. So, about that picture with the policeman climbing over the door. It kind of looks to me like the graffiti was airbrushed on with a paint program. It just doesn't look right...

Anyway, thanks once again, NiteOwl!
  20. jadt65 Member

Nite Owl
    There is now a link to GB at Healing the Green Soul.:D
  21. Dro Member

So we haven't seen a green brief in five days now. Is this something to worry about, or did I miss something about NiteOwl being away?
  22. Paleene Member

This is all we know from twitter :(

"No Green Brief today either I'm very very sorry for the inconvenience, but I just HAVE to focus and finish this. Thank you for understanding!
    9:04 AM Aug 23rd from web

"Will come back when it's done and has hit the target or else I'll have to ask you for a favor. Bye for now."
    9:05 AM Aug 23rd from web

"I'm back here. Working on GB."
    2:09 AM Aug 24th from web

"Working on GB still. A few more hours to go. Will be off twitter and chat apps. GB for 22 and 23 Aug."
    7:16 AM Aug 24th from web
  23. cbn2 Member

Working

As we know from experience, Nite Owl is completely dedicated and always worth any wait.
  24. I can't help be a little worried about NightOwl.. it has been a week since the last GB and he's been off twitter for a few days now. I know he's probably just busy still I can't stop worrying.
  25. cbn2 Member

Yeah.

Starting to feel some concern, too.

Hopefully, not going Nico Pitney on us...

Hope everything is going okay for you, NiteOwl.
  26. i imagine he's really consumed with afghanistan's elections right now.
  27. cbn2 Member

If that were the case

If that were the case, I think he'd tell us.
  28. Paleene Member

NiteOWls whereabouts

On Aug 25 he wrote in DM that he is moving from one house to another.
    Maybe that is still ongoing?
  29. Hmm... This is what Nico Pitney posted before he 'disappeared'
  30. Paleene Member

How "dissappeard"? From what?

Isn*t it him here: Nico Pitney ?
  31. Paleene Member

Damn sh^t, I was mislead by the date in the header ....

Does anybody know what happened to Nico, then?
  32. I've been wondering the same thing for weeks. I had been following his coverage. Currently, I'm following the material the NIAC, Enduring America & Tehran Bureau's is putting out and until recently I was a very faithful Green Brief reader. If anyone has any suggestions for other sources of information, please share. TIA
  33. uli Member

If anyone has any suggestions for other sources of information, please share. TIA

what about these two blogs?

RevolutionaryRoad... on: Revolutionary Road...

Freedom Messenger on: Freedom Messenger!!!

or
    an Iranian human rights activist with only few English translation:

English News
  34. Paleene Member

MikVerbrugge

is reliable and fertile, too.

(and who knows which "Josh" - named at the very end of the blog - is contributing there ;) )
  35. jadt65 Member

A trusted user on twitter reported just hearing from Nite Owl & he is fine...just the "real life" going on.:)
  36. cbn2 Member

Yeah, saw that.

But that post was from 8/24, wasn't it?
  37. What trusted source just heard from Niteowl?
    Normally Niteowl would let everyone know if he is busy, it doesn't seem like him to only contact 1 person to say he's ok.
    Not trying to add to any conspericies but I am a little worried too.
    I don't think I will be satisfied without hearing from him directly.
  38. jadt65 Member

sahar1972 - look at today's timeline
  39. Paleene Member

The reffered tweet from sahar1972 is:

"Thank U all 4 the "SOS's" I am fine. Was busy w/a very imp project & just dealing w/stuff in real life. Heard from Iran_Translator 2, he OK"
    about 4 hours ago from web

So obv, sahar1972 was busy with an important project and dealing with stuff from real life.

And there are news that NiteOwl is ok