Customize

The Girls-Only Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Dec 3, 2012.

1. RightOn Member

this thread needs some Suzy Homemaker lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Just my 2 cents - this is specially for all you tap-dancing femanons

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. rickybobby Member

Awesome name, Ms. Smegma
    • Like Like x 1
  4. rickybobby Member

There are several books and different approaches to this style of eating. It is called Paleo or a Primal type diet, one of the first incarnations of this was the Caveman diet. The gist is that you eat foods that duplicate as closely as possible the diet of our paelolithic ancestors. In practice, this means eating high quality meats like grass fed beef (which has a more healthy fat profile than grain fed beef), and lots of green veggies and some fruits. The various researchers and book authors will differ a little bit in "allowed" foods such as tubers and beans, but no grains.

As I have gotten older my metabolism has changed. I was never able to lose weight while eating carbs, even beans, and now I have had to be pretty restrictive to get the weight to come off. Sigh. I used to be able to cheat some, but no more. I am one of the few people who can gain weight on a bean and rice diet! I tried being a vegan; my husband lost weight like crazy, I gained. I am only moderately active. I assume if I ran marathons I could tolerate more carbs, but ain't gonna happen. I have lost 10-12 lbs; I didn't have that much to lose. I have just had 10 to 15 lbs creep up on me over the past year, and I had to do something to get it off. I didn't want to have to buy new jeans.....

It's a pretty healthy style of eating. Simple foods, minimally processed.

Here's an overview:
    http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/paleo-diet
    • Like Like x 1
  5. AnonLover Member

You rang???

ITT, we need moar manwhore lusting plox.

1354130554436392.png
  6. Anonymous Member

I loved that so much, I watched it twice.:p
  7. Anonymous Member

Oops - same person here. ---the above comment was for "Right On's nostalgic video above, above. :p
  8. Anonymous Member

If that works for you, RickyBobby, that's cool.
    Food is such a personal thing, of course, and different for everyone in terms of preferences and all that.
    Myself, I can't go back to eating red meat. Gave up dairy, too. I'm not a zealot about it, if I had some craving, I might have a tiny bit on occasion, like if i were at dinner at someone's home or something.
    It's been a few years now, and I don't really miss it anymore.
    And, the proof came out, "diet-wise" in that my cholesterol is really low and everything else is in the healthy range, I found out after doing a battery of blood tests recently.
    Again, that's cool that you found something that works for you. ;)
  9. Anonymous Member

They didn't have refrigerators, spices or many good ways of preserving food.

Enjoy your maggots.
  10. Anonymous Member

mmm, protein
    • Funny Funny x 3
  11. rickybobby Member

loves me some jerky. and I eat my meat nearly raw, right after I have killed it.
  12. AnyOldName Member

That brings back memories! I had the oven, vac & iron. The d/w too, but Mom would never let me connect the hose. Something about making a mess?
  13. Anonymous Member

I didn't have any of that fancy Homemaker shit. I got books and clothes for Christmas. Worked for me. :)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. rickybobby Member

Yes, I believe that different folks respond differently to different diets. That said, the less processed a food is, the better. I have just figured out what my body responds best to.
  15. rickybobby Member

Not even an Easy Bake Oven?

One of my favorites was the giant Barbie head. And, of course, the Barbies with all their fancy crap.

I used to make my Barbie and my Ken have sex in the Barbie house after a date in Kens convertible. And I drew nipples on my Barbie with a magic marker. I mean, really, just LOOK at Barbie. It's obvious that girl was a slut.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. Anonymous Member

Nope, not even an Easy Bake Oven. (And for the penises lurking here, that was an oven that "cooked" food via a the heat from a light bulb.)

And yes, Barbie was obviously a slut. Anybody could see that.
  17. Anonymous Member

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. Anonymous Member

They took my Easy Bake Oven away after I melted my brothers GI Joe head in it.
    • Funny Funny x 4
  19. Anonymous Member

I got mine taken away for making my little sister touch the light bulb after I baked a cake in it.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  20. Anonymous Member

you baked a caek inside a light bulb? Wow, tell me how :p
  21. Anonymous Member

Oops! LOL I failed.
  22. How many women does it tale to screw in a light bulb?
    Five - one to screw it in and four to form a support group.
  23. RightOn Member

my parents couldn't afford an easy back oven. My friend had one. I thought the cakes were the best ever. My other friend had a kid's size kitchen set. I LOVED it. I wanted it so bad. My parents did buy me a miniature kitchen set and I do mean miniature. All the pieces (pots and pans) were attached together (like the same as the parts of a model car) and you have to pull them apart. It was pink and silver. I will never forget how disappointed I was when I opened it. Kids don't understand that parents can't afford things. I did learn to love the set regardless and played with it like crazy. I have searched high and low and never saw another like it.
    Man this story makes me sound like a total brat. But I wasn't a brat. Wasn't allowed to be brat. Would have got my ass handed to me.
    • Like Like x 3
  24. rickybobby Member

special girl knowledge, you can't have it
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  25. Anonymous Member

I never had the fancy barbie doll house. I used my dad's favorite recliner chair in the living room, Using the space under the chair when the foot rest lifted up. I thought it was the coolest thing ever, because I could hide all my stuff in there that I had spent hours arranging just so. Somehow, My Ken doll, became headless, but I still included him, and even got my little brother to play with me. Never had the easy bake oven, I just played with my friend's toy, but I spent school vacations cooking all sorts of sweets with Grandma, which I thought was super fun at the time. Maybe I was sheltered, but I never knew what a "slut" was when I was a Barbie collector, as their bodies are pretty andrognyous. I liked to design clothes for them that my seamstress grandma would make for them. Later gave all my dolls away to a cousin. The barbie van was a lot of fun, but the swimming pool they made was not as fun as taking them into either a real swimming pool or the bathtub. I used to make up stories about the dolls and my brother and I would play them out with lots of crazy laughter.
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Anonymous Member

That's okay by me.
    • Like Like x 1
  27. Anonymous Member

That makes sense. The first time I tried going Veg in college, I don't think I was doing it rite, because I felt so lethargic, and thought that the absence of meat was the reason, so I dropped it. Years later, I taught myself to cook, and try to do it in some sort of balanced and creative way. I agree with the "processed" part. My tastes have changed, and I don't enjoy those types of food anymore like I used to when I was eating a lot of pre-made foods for convenience. As far as the wheat stuff, I wonder if that is not more of a current fad. To exclude a lot of "white flour", or cut down on it a lot, like breads and cookies and stuff makes sense, but I have no aversion to gluten in particular, and really enjoy a whole grain wheat called "Farro"....For some reason I can only find it at Whole Foods, or the local mom and pop health food store in bulk. I eat it instead of rice and pasta, and I like it a lot, it's one of my fave things. Probably even with meat, if you eat it, it's all about moderation, and some with iron deficiencies probably benefit from small amounts of it, even though you can get iron from plant sources, and even molasses, i think.
  28. Anonymous Member

I begged and begged my mom to buy me the barbie head, but I grew bored of it really quick. I though It was more fun to raid my mom's make up drawers when I thought she wasn't watching, and paint my own face girl clown style, and have my mom fix my own hair in curls and braids - maybe more girl attention for me that way from mom, which was a treat being the only girl with lots of brothers.
  29. Anonymous Member

Paleo diet sounds like a version of the once popular "Atkin's" diet. I had a boss who would scarf down bacon, eggs and lots of meat, and who had some obsession with "Ketones". The guy was really unhealthy, but I guess happy that he could eat all the pork sausages and diner type of breakfasts to his heart's content.
    Some carbs, if they're from whole grains and even some vegetables can be healthy for you, so that strikes me as being sort of extreme.
  30. Anonymous Member

31. rickybobby Member

but did the lightbulb WANT to change?
    • Like Like x 1
  32. Anonymous Member

Not at first. But an intervention with tea and cookies helped immensely.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  33. Anonymous Member

Yes it watched an episode of the Oprah Winfrey show all about 'change'.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  34. rickybobby Member

Not Atkins, although it is lower carb than the standard American diet. Even Atlkins has evolved past the Protein/Fat=OK Carb=BAD model. It's more about the QUALITY of the food. The wheat and corn that are ubiquitous in the American diet are not the same wheat and corn of 100 years ago. 100 years ago, you had genetic variation in wheat varieties. Today, you get one kind-- and it's patented by Monsanto. Even the meat is different-- our cows do not exist mainly on a diet of grass, they give them corn-- BECAUSE IT MAKES THEM FATTER. It makes us fatter, too. Factory farming has made meat cheaper, and has developed tomatoes that are less perishable, but they are also less nutritious. The carbs that our bodies are used to having are complexed in fiber and folded in more complex molecules, making them digest a little slower, and thus slowing the influx of sugars into our body. Modern foods have stripped those confounding factors away, thus making the carbs instantly available to your body. This, in turn, provokes an insulin response that turns on your body's fat storing switch, causing you to go into fat storing mode. This is a big reason why Americans have gotten so damn fat. Too many calories, to easily assimilable.

The paleo diet is more about the QUALITY of the food-- getting back to having foods closer to the way they are found in nature. This tends to be lower carb than the standard American diet, because our diet is so heavy on the simple carbs-- white flour and sugar. And don't fool yourself that whole wheat anything is better-- it's just as much like mainlining carbs as white flour.

Long story short, it's about QUALITY of food. The closer to the farm, the better it is. I, personally, have found that I do not do best with very many carbs, and cannot lose weight that way. Others can tolerate, and even thrive, on more. And, yes, while bacon is awesome, it really isn't good for you. But, I daresay, better for you than a corn syrup laden Coke. Bacon does not give you the diabeetus. Corn syrup does.

Sorry for the long rant, if you totally ignored this, I understand. At least we are in off-topic discussions. My apologies.
    • Like Like x 1
  35. Anonymous Member

That could potentially be a Polish joke.
  36. rickybobby Member

LOL headless Ken!

I did not at that time have a NAME for slut, but I knew that Ken and Barbie would be up to no good......

I was, perhaps, a little precocious.
  37. Anonymous Member

That sounds sensible to me. It's true that simple carbs (especially refined flours )basically instantly turn into sugars in the body, and something like that can even affect a person's moods with the short lived sugar rush and then crash. I gave up refined sugar, too. I read labels, and all that stuff, now.
    The whole foods (and complex carbs) tend to be better body fuel that metabolizes itself in a different way, - more slowly- so a person, i think, tends to feel more satisfied, having gotten the benefits of more nutrients and fiber, contributing to general well being, perhaps.
  38. Anonymous Member

That's funny.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  39. I liked playing Barbies at my friend's house. She also had Johnny West figures, The Sunshine family plus access to her brother's GIJoes and planet of the apes action figures. There were also Breyer horses and whole stoats from a shawl for them to ride around on.

The Apes and GIJoes were the bad guys and the adventure would go everywhere in the house including the lagoon (bathtub). I'm sure Ken or Doctor Zaius shagged someone along the way although the GIJoe's were excluded from sex, I think it had something to do with the kung-fu grip...The best stuff came from our imagination, and yeah, I remember us laughing the whole time at what we had going on. :p

As for diet, I've been pretty much gluten free a couple of years now. Can't say it's done much for my weight, but my guts feel better. As a result I eat far less grain than I used to.

Sadly, what has made the most difference is changing jobs to one that requires close to seven hours a day walking (and other physical tasks). I've dropped quite a bit of weight, but I know I'll probably gain it back once I find a job closer to my skill set.
  40. Kilia Member

ok..I'm in..what do I do now??
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1