Customize

The Gi-fraking-normous Woll Smoth media MEGATHREAD

Discussion in 'Celebrity News' started by monamia, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Jack's Bullet Member

Re: First ADMISSION of CHOICE by Smith's to "incorporate aspects of Scientology into"

I kind of hope the school at least teaches correct spelling. It would be a bummer to see a ton of seventh graders in private school from NVA that can't spell simple words, and why the NVA has a good grade record, that'd be a mystery. hehe
  2. YourMother Member

Re: New 7/3 LA Times More Will Smith & mentions Anonymous

Let's get it to #1 and keep it that way for the next 24 hours
  3. Re: New 7/3 LA Times More Will Smith & mentions Anonymous

VERSE CASE SCENARIO
    by Tony Peyer

Will Smith Insists His New School Is Not A Scientology Facility
    Perhaps the students at New Village Academy
    Can find paper & pencils in a cupboard
    And write to try and get help from Hancock
    To save them all from L. Ron Hubbard.

Tony Peyser provides daily poems and weekly cartoons for BuzzFlash and also writes the BuzzFlash column, "Blue State Jukebox." He was a daily cartoonist for the L.A. Times from 1994 to 1997. You can e-mail Tony at tonypeyser@yahoo.com.
  4. Re: New 7/3 LA Times More Will Smith & mentions Anonymous

The good news is the media are starting to put two and two together..with Hancock bombing they are starting to wonder how much Scientology has in common with tanking Hollywood careers. SO many articles are mentioning WILL & CO$ & Hancock in the same breath. WIN.
  5. Anonabliss Member

LOL
  6. Re: New 7/3 LA Times More Will Smith & mentions Anonymous

"a cabal of faceless online agitprop provocateurs"

that's a new one.
  7. monamia Member

i LOVE that description. thanks.
  8. XenuLovesU Member

Re: First ADMISSION of CHOICE by Smith's to "incorporate aspects of Scientology into"

I wish more of these writers would do stories where the slant is "study tech sucks" or "teachers without credentials suck" or "unaccredited schools suck."

Yeah -- it's creepy that the study tech can be linked straight back to LRH and the CoS... and that makes headlines... but I think it would be a hell of a lot more effective to point out how academically weak the whole arrangement is.

It's a hell of a lot easier to nail them to the wall for having an educational program that doesn't follow good academic practices... doesn't use credentialed teachers... and that doesn't have the stamp of approval from a reputable organization like the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.

Will might be able to deflect criticisms of the (laugh) secular study tech being connected to LRH/CoS... but he'll have a much harder time explaining opening a school that sucks academically.
  9. Re: First ADMISSION of CHOICE by Smith's to "incorporate aspects of Scientology into"

We do need to prove that the 'study tech' itself is dangerous and not condusive to learning. If we can approach the problem from that standpoint we may gain a much larger and more interested audience. if you can prove something is ineffective and void of benefit to the students, the parents, who are RICH......should care. But, other than approaching it in that manner Im afraid the people who aren't famous, but are wealthy, will only care that Will Smith is the name behind the school and will somehow justify the crap about the CO$ so that they can join the 'Will Smith ass kissing club"
  10. Anonabliss Member

I fail to see how looking up a word in the dictionary is so special. They're turning something routine into something special like they freakin' invented it. I guess my third grade teachers must have been scientologists, then, because they made me look up words in the dictionary. And don't even get me started on the playdough therapy. Those two things are all you hear about, too. Makes you wonder if they have anything else to offer. Maybe they'll teach the kindergardeners how to 'handle' their parents.
  11. AnonMSW Member

You cannot "prove" a negative. Attempting to do so is imho to set oneself up for "Fail."

What we can say, much like one of the articles today if not this one (sorry I forget which but I think this one), is that NO evidence exists which shows that it works at all when compared to curriculum with huge masses of evidence showing they do. There's no face validity, there's no peer review, there's nothing.

That's not the way things work in western European based cosmologies. Education is no longer "a matter of faith" when it comes to requiring that educational programs meet minimum standards; except in charter schools. Fundamentally, this all traces back to Scientologists in the Department of Education who pushed privatization and "choice" on the public school system. Presumably the motive for this largely came from the desire of $cientologists to be able to take further deductions from their gross incomes before paying their taxes.

It's up to them to show that it works. All indications are that where it goes ACLU lawsuits are not far behind. Those are the facts we can prove, we just have to mine them out of the threads and put them together in a package.
  12. Re: Fox News' Roger Freidman Weighs In with "Will Smith: Getting His $100 Goat"

^^^^ This needs to happen. Who's got some goats???? YEEEEHHHAAWWWW
  13. twelve Member

:awesome:
  14. Re: Will is Jada's "Captain Correction" - Scientology Anyone?

Charter schools are funded federally, if it is infact a federally funded charter school then we may have a way to get in their shit after all. I don't think that taxpayer money should go to funding some half ass private academy for the cult.
  15. Anonkips Member

Re: Will is Jada's "Captain Correction" - Scientology Anyone?

"In West Philadelfia" would be my first guess...
  16. tazor Member

I've always wanted to be a provocateur.
  17. Asian-anon Member

I've always wanted to be a part of a cabal. Mwahahaha :twisted:
  18. Vir Member

Re: Fox News' Roger Freidman Weighs In with "Will Smith: Getting His $100 Goat"

Metal flavor?
  19. Re: New 7/3 LA Times More Will Smith & mentions Anonymous

Fix'd. :awesome:
  20. Qball Member

Re: Will Smith bawwws, "It's a not a Scientology school, really"

Awesome stuff. Drag this out when Youth for Human Rights International start talking about LRH the humanitarian.
  21. Plups Member

The Gi-freaking-normous Will Smith Hancock is-he-or-isn't-he media MEGATHREAD

Okay. You've been begging for it. Let's clean up the media and put all those stories about Will is-he-or-isn't-he Smith, Jada and the movies and Scientology school here in one place.

I suggest the mods use their discretion before merging too many (especially long) threads together into this one.

From eonline Print - Paris Is Churning...
  22. Plups Member

Re: The Gi-freaking-normous Will Smith is-he-or-isn't-he media MEGATHREAD

Defamer:

Hancock: Is 'Hancock' Half-Cocked?
  23. Plups Member

LA Times:
    Will Smith tries to stay in front of the Scientology curve - Los Angeles Times
  24. Plups Member

Wall Street Journal:
    Buzzwatch : Buzz Links: What 'Hancock' Reviews Are Saying
  25. Plups Member

Hollywood Today:
    Hollywood Today: Will Smith’s New Film and School Both Creating a Stir
  26. Re: The Gi-freaking-normous Will Smith is-he-or-isn't-he media MEGATHREAD

David Touretzky has a brilliant essay explaining why "Study Tech" IS Scientology. Scientology's Study Technology - Essay - Dr. David Touretzky

If Will Smith has "studied a little Scientology," given the cult $20,000, opens a school teaching their nonsense, and claims that he is not a Scilon, he is one.

Besides, wasn't it well established quite a while ago that Jada was a Scilon? Now they're claiming she isn't.

gradient2.gif
    from Study Tech materials (Touretzky's site)
  27. AnonMSW Member

Will Smith’s New Private School Sounds a Lot Like a Scientology Training Camp / Jossip

From the article:

During recess, kids learn their ABCs and PTS-SPs

Like any do-gooding multi-hundred-millionaire movie star, Hancock’s Will Smith is involved in the philanthropy scene. He’s also, as prying eyes have woefully pointed out, been involving himself with the Tom Cruise scene, which means of course that he’s basically a raving Scientologist trying to hold in his inner homo, because that’s what the cult is about, right? Back in 2004, Smith donated $20k to something called “HOPE: The Hollywood Education and Literacy Program,” which is the church’s “literary program,” where children get homeschooled and, we’re guessing, brainwashed in their formative years. Now, he and Jada have been plugging a way at their New Village Academy, a private school they’re funding that will open in December, which got the LAT treatment over the weekend. Naturally, the first word out of the school’s mouth is that it is not a Scientology facility. (Even Will and Jada still insist they aren’t of the church.) But a certain anti-Scientology crusader is casting his eye of suspicion on this educational institution, mostly because of a … goat.

More available on the website. Comments open requiring only an email address to post.
  28. Plups Member

I've been thinking about this. My hunch is that Scientologists actually believe that Applied Scholastics is secular, and not religious.

Of course, for non-scientologists, even their so-called "scripture" doesn't seem religious, so the notion that study tech is secular makes sense when we look at the documentation. But, if we accept for a moment that Scientology's "technology" is religious, it is not seriously arguable that making tiny changes, such as using the word "person" instead of "thetan", takes the religious element out and leave the thing totally secular. It seems silly to us, but perhaps they genuinely believe that. Whether or not the New Village Academy genuinely believe that the study tech is secular or a lying through their teeth, the facts are that it is 99.9% the same as what Scientologists are taught in their training and it sets the foundation for further Scientology.

Scientology's Study Technology - Essay - Dr. David Touretzky
  29. Plups Member

I've always wanted to be faceless.... oh, wait...
  30. i'mglib Member

Wait a second.
    What the heck is an agitprop provocateur?

If agitprop means propaganda, and provocateur means agitator, how can you be a propaganda agitator.

Does it mean Anonymous is pushing propaganda, or dissenting against it?

Kind of a lame string of words, actually. I hate it when writers string together words which sound really good, but when parsed, don't actually mean anything or make sense.

Also, the word "online" is pretty lame, too, since the protests have been REAL LIFE and going on for 6 MONTHS! Apparently the LA Times hasn't noticed. I don't think they've printed a word about the monthly protests on Sunset and Hollywood Blvd, not to mention the multiple flash raids.
  31. AnonMSW Member

Will Smith: Actor with a golden touch

Excerpted from an article on the author's apparent opinion that Will Smith is "in touch with the masses" and functionally bulletproof:

His movies may tank. Expectations of his bankable gross may send bean-counters into a tizzy. But for all the ups and downs that have marked Will Smith's 18-year career, he's still jiggy with the masses. The man will never be called "box office poison"- Hancock or not.

HE'S "NORMAL"! - Recently, Smith appeared to be edging closer to the cliff of kookiness when he was rumoured to be a Scientologist - a clear liability in the pop culture column if Tom Cruise's battered public image is any indication. The rumour started as a result of a new school Smith and his wife Jada Pinkett-Smith plan to open this fall. According to news reports, the alternative school uses techniques developed by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard and includes some staff members who are Scientologists. Smith and his wife assured fans they are not Scientologists.

They merely felt the method Hubbard espoused had some upsides - notably, the emphasis on hands-on experience, thorough knowledge of a given subject before moving on, and not reading past unknown words.

"New Village Academy was born of a simple question," said Smith in a statement. "Is it possible to create an educational environment in which children have fun learning? Jada and I believe the answer is yes."

Subsequent reports have confirmed the school is secular and staff was hired from all religious and cultural backgrounds - clearing Smith of Scientology scandal. Before that, Smith ran into some sticky moments when he refused to kiss another man in Six Degrees of Separation, but the accusations of homophobia didn't stick around for long - mostly because Smith agreed to "fake kiss" for the camera. For most actors, even a whiff of intolerance or religious fanaticism can sink a career, but Smith has been able to ride out the Hubbard and homophobic bumps with little effort, and even less bad ink.

My comment:

Didn't we hear something like this regarding Tom Cruise?
  32. AnonMSW Member

The first paragraph from an article on azcentral.com, one of the primary Arizona local folk websites run by the Arizona Repiblic newspaper which last I heard was owned by the Quayle (as in Dan the potatoe man) family, entitled:

Jul. 3, 2008 12:00 AM

"It was looking like another slow week. And we were already halfway through a joke about John Travolta workshopping Battlefield Earth: The Musical and the avant-garde chorale piece Tom Cruise: I Am the Only One Who Can Help with the black-turtleneck-clad third-grade theater club at Will and Jada Pinkett Smith's Not a Scientology Academy. Then word broke that there just might be a place for tabloid-mainstay New York Yankees infielder Alex Rodriguez in the unfolding Madonna-Guy Ritchie marriage drama."

Comment: It's beginning to seem that no funny story or report on strange behavior by a celebrity in the press can begin without some punchline reference to Scientology. I included this in the thread on Will to show how far the public perception has come since this was simply "a Tom Cruise problem.

The public is waking up to the humorous side of this mess, which is an early indicator that more and more we're entering the cultural zeitgeist.
  33. loltech Member

34. AnonMSW Member

Inside Edition broadcast from 7/2/2008 (I think; the OP on YouTube didn't specify). The CMU professor who wrote the piece on Scientology's education as a dish full of dogma calls Will Smith out and says it's a factory for little $cientologists to be (basically).

YouTube - Will Smith Scientology School
  35. Re: The Gi-freaking-normous Will Smith is-he-or-isn't-he media MEGATHREAD

I believe he is a Scientologist. However, if we keep spreading the truth about Scientology, the day will soon come where being a Scientologist will be a negative thing in Hollywood circles. Only if we keep working at enlightening the public, that is.
  36. Re: The Gi-freaking-normous Will Smith is-he-or-isn't-he media MEGATHREAD

He's gotta be. It's especially ironic if he is, given Hancock is about him having superpowers.
  37. adeathofcult Member

It links to the original VID on the U-tube btw, witch is PERFECT!.

Views: 3,028,435 - Expect rise.
  38. SLOJOE Member

cabal of faceless online agitprop provocateurs
    Hey Woll! Ya might need to word clear this and do a clay demo while your at it.
  39. Plups Member

Nice work, Dave Touretsky! Inside Edition reckons Will and Jada are "at the centre of a Hollywood firestorm".

Nice.
  40. misskittie Member

Thanks for this thread Plups, you beat me to it's creation but hopefully we have a home for all things Big Willie!!

Hancock is getting bad reviews everywhere, worldwide. A quick UK only google search on Hancock reviews and New Village Academy brings up a list of the largest news outlets with less than complementary comments all around. The rumours have even started to creep into the glossy mags such as Marie Claire who describe scientology as the "dreaded S word". Brilliant!